2Little 2Late

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

How successful have you been at forcing yourself to care about grades?

lol
8%
... I mean I still need to graduate... I guess...
28%
I want to maintain some semblance of dignity
43%
I am a clerkship gunner and/or incorrigible perfectionist
23%

Total votes: 40

radio1nowhere

Re: The 1Lephant in the Room: Are You Dropping Out

Postby radio1nowhere » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:17 pm

rnoodles22 wrote:
accessislife wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:What do you guys think are some viable part-time/weekend jobs to make some supplemental income while interning this summer (NYC) ?

tutoring

If you go to an ivy now for LS, or went to one UG, market it along with some other accomplishments (PBK, summa/magna/cum, recipient of named scholarship at X LS ranked X in the nation, etc.). Doesnt have to be an ivy, obviously, but it helps build some traction and cred with parents/tiger moms almost immediately. In any event, if you do it all right you will make great money (maybe upwards of $50/hr, but I used to charge $35/hr) teaching HS kids how to write for like 10th grade English.

I did this through UG and recommend it to all my friends.

How did you advertise yourself for this sort of thing?

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:17 pm

rnoodles22 wrote:
accessislife wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:What do you guys think are some viable part-time/weekend jobs to make some supplemental income while interning this summer (NYC) ?

tutoring

If you go to an ivy now for LS, or went to one UG, market it along with some other accomplishments (PBK, summa/magna/cum, recipient of named scholarship at X LS ranked X in the nation, etc.). Doesnt have to be an ivy, obviously, but it helps build some traction and cred with parents/tiger moms almost immediately. In any event, if you do it all right you will make great money (maybe upwards of $50/hr, but I used to charge $35/hr) teaching HS kids how to write for like 10th grade English.

I would be interested in doing this, and I have the people skills, but I honestly don't think I'm a great enough writer and would feel guilty having 10th graders' parents pay me when their kids probably write better than me to begin with.

Joscellin

Postby Joscellin » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:31 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:
rnoodles22 wrote:
accessislife wrote:

tutoring

I would be interested in doing this, and I have the people skills, but I honestly don't think I'm a great enough writer and would feel guilty having 10th graders' parents pay me when their kids probably write better than me to begin with.

Doesn't have to be writing, if you're good at other things. There's a ton of kids that need help in math, for example.

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:48 pm

Joscellin wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:
rnoodles22 wrote:
accessislife wrote:

tutoring

Doesn't have to be writing, if you're good at other things. There's a ton of kids that need help in math, for example.

I need help in math, generally. Would be unwilling to pay 50/hr for it, however.

rnoodles

Postby rnoodles » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:58 pm

Joscellin wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:
rnoodles22 wrote:
accessislife wrote:

tutoring

Yes, Joscellin's right. I just said writing cause lol LS, but I tutored K-College in anything from basic reading for parents with kindergarteners wanting to get a jump to college-level engineering calc. If you're confident you can help with any subject at all, then do it. Even test prep pays very well, and the ACT, especially, is easy to teach to HS kids.

@radio: I started at my HS/town by tutoring some family friends, then having them spread the word. I also put up flyers around my college campus, esp. near departments where kids would go in to talk to profs, and in my younger sibling's HS's guidance office. I created accounts on Care.com and Wyzant, too. Whoever I tutored, if they liked me, I asked to spread the word and they usually came through (they're happy you're helping their kid get into college). I built up a network, gave them my schedule, and can still tap into it occasionally. Like this past winter break, I made ~$600 tutoring kids for like 20 hours total.

Personally, I think my Care.com profile got me like 7 or 8 responses in the first week? Just put my ACT score, some basic education and personal info (e.g., Fresh/Soph/Jun/Sen/1L/etc. majoring in/studying X with 3.X and X, Y, and Z honors blah blah blah), and contact info on my profile along with a nice, professional pic (think LinkedIn kind b/c you want the parents to trust you). Also, FWIW, I think the sites helped a lot because they verify you're real, not a criminal, and safe, and parents know that so they'll likely go there before the local bulletin boards or craigslist.

Tutoring's really all about how you present yourself at the end of the day. Very intimate type of work b/c you're convincing someone to let you come into their home to work with their kid. As long as you're cordial, caring, and professional, the rest will follow and you'll make some great side cash with minimal commitments hours-wise.

Edit: Bortles, you may be, but tigermom who wants her kid to get into HYP would fork it over in a heartbeat. The company I worked for in HS would charge $80/hr. There's some that charge more, esp. if you buy their packages.

buckiguy_sucks

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:54 pm

People have a weird conception of what other's sub letting needs are like wtf no one wants to sublet for 2 months and especially if it's not prime internship months

Minnietron

Postby Minnietron » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:57 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:People have a weird conception of what other's sub letting needs are like wtf no one wants to sublet for 2 months and especially if it's not prime internship months

The FB blasts make you laugh too, eh?

buckiguy_sucks

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:59 pm

Minnietron wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:People have a weird conception of what other's sub letting needs are like wtf no one wants to sublet for 2 months and especially if it's not prime internship months

People are apparently not good at planning because they are freakin constant

BVest

Postby BVest » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:08 am

Earn up to $1200 a month

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:09 am

BVest wrote:

Earn up to $1200 a month

I've looked into this before (different city), and I was qualified/passed all the tests, but then I chickened out because I just felt weird with the notion that I could have kids all over the place.

buckiguy_sucks

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:18 am

DCfilterDC wrote:
BVest wrote:

Earn up to $1200 a month

I've looked into this before (different city), and I was qualified/passed all the tests, but then I chickened out because I just felt weird with the notion that I could have kids all over the place.

I like the low key college degree required eugenics of this place

Minnietron

Postby Minnietron » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:19 am

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
Minnietron wrote:

People are apparently not good at planning because they are freakin constant

Yeah, everyone buys the line "It is easy to sublet your place for the summer in DC because hillterns."

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:31 am

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:
BVest wrote:

Earn up to $1200 a month

I like the low key college degree required eugenics of this place

It's pretty universal that sperm banks require that.

LetsGoMets

Postby LetsGoMets » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:48 am

Damn, those poll results tho

Sorry if this was already covered, don't check this thread much

Gray

Postby Gray » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:41 am

Man a lot of people voted...

...Sup lurkers

radio1nowhere

Postby radio1nowhere » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:59 am

Still don't have grades, lalalalala I'm not stressin' lalalalala :evil:

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:45 am

radio1nowhere wrote:Still don't have grades, lalalalala I'm not stressin' lalalalala :evil:

I wouldn't worry. Since you post on TLS, there is about a 90% chance you're at/above median.

Minnietron

Postby Minnietron » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:02 am

Gray wrote:Man a lot of people voted...

...Sup lurkers

They don't need to post because Gray speaks for the people.

Minnietron

Postby Minnietron » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:05 am

OhBoyOhBortles wrote:
radio1nowhere wrote:Still don't have grades, lalalalala I'm not stressin' lalalalala :evil:

I wouldn't worry. Since you post on TLS, there is about a 90% chance you're at/above median.

Additionally, since you go to HLS, there is about a 90% chance you'll get a job no matter your class rank. :D

Hand

Postby Hand » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:10 pm

Minnietron wrote:
OhBoyOhBortles wrote:

Additionally, since you go to HLS, there is about a 90% chance you'll get a job no matter your class rank. :D

That, and mack hambleton's 15" penis, are the main reasons for choosing H over that full ride, right?

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:18 pm

We all know nothing drops panties like whispering in a lady's ear: "I go to HLS." And let's be honest, dropping panties is why we do anything right.

Boy I sure hope employers don't tie this post to me irl D=

buckiguy_sucks

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:59 pm

OhBoyOhBortles wrote:

I wouldn't worry. Since you post on TLS, there is about a 90% 85% chance you're at/above median.

buckiguy_sucks

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:07 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
OhBoyOhBortles wrote:

I wouldn't worry. Since you post on TLS, there is about a 90% 85% chance you're at/above median.

Unless your LSAT was between 50th and 75th then you only have a 80% chance :shock:

Minnietron

Postby Minnietron » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:46 pm

Anyone else notice new people in their section? I'm not the most observant individual, so it could just be I didn't notice them last semester. But, I'm about 65% sure there are some new rivals sectionmates. Hopefully they changed because they did poorly in another section...

Hikikomorist

Postby Hikikomorist » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:51 pm

Last edited by Hikikomorist on Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”