If you're going 3L, keep going [PnJ, this is the right place]

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Summer?

I love my summer job
14
52%
I am fine with my summer job
10
37%
I am mildly disappointed by my summer job
2
7%
I hate my summer job
1
4%
 
Total votes: 27

User avatar
Minnietron
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:28 am

Re: Fa1Lure is Imminent

Postby Minnietron » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:29 am

PeanutsNJam wrote: GTUTLTC confirmed

Wait. Was there ever a question?

User avatar
zhenders
Posts: 861
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:21 pm

Re: Fa1Lure is Imminent

Postby zhenders » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:45 pm

jepper wrote:A, A, A, B+ (no A+s or -s given)


Outstanding :)

User avatar
Minnietron
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:28 am

Re: Fa1Lure is Imminent

Postby Minnietron » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:42 am

Using bookstands for exam outlines is TTT. Time for an upgrade!

http://goo.gl/ZEiJcS

User avatar
zhenders
Posts: 861
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:21 pm

Re: Fa1Lure is Imminent

Postby zhenders » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:59 am

Minnietron wrote:Using bookstands for exam outlines is TTT. Time for an upgrade!

http://goo.gl/ZEiJcS


I want pictures of it being used in class

User avatar
Minnietron
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:28 am

Re: Fa1Lure is Imminent

Postby Minnietron » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:28 am

zhenders wrote:
Minnietron wrote:Using bookstands for exam outlines is TTT. Time for an upgrade!

http://goo.gl/ZEiJcS


I want pictures of it being used in class

I was planning to wait until exams. But, bringing it to class could produce a nice adaptive response. E.g., people are already on edge after first semester grades, so this could range from demoralizing them into submission to motivating them up to D&P status. Likely, the result will be something in the middle - bemusement and derision. Even that could take focus away from their studies.

You may have talked me into it...

User avatar
hairbear7
Posts: 518
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:28 pm

Re: Fa1Lure is Imminent

Postby hairbear7 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:52 am

Who else, besides Chicago, is still waiting?

Indifference
Posts: 540
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:01 am

Re: Fa1Lure is Imminent

Postby Indifference » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:33 pm

For grades? HLS still waiting.

User avatar
Gray
Posts: 6425
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:02 pm

Re: Fa1Lure is Imminent

Postby Gray » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:51 pm

So I did cave and checked grades the night they came out, and actually did pretty decently. Hilariously my best class was the one that I stopped reading for halfway through the semester.

User avatar
Minnietron
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:28 am

Re: Fa1Lure is Imminent

Postby Minnietron » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:45 pm

Gray wrote:So I did cave and checked grades the night they came out, and actually did pretty decently. Hilariously my best class was the one that I stopped reading for halfway through the semester.

Civ Pro?

User avatar
Gray
Posts: 6425
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:02 pm

Re: Fa1Lure is Imminent

Postby Gray » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:00 pm

Minnietron wrote:
Gray wrote:So I did cave and checked grades the night they came out, and actually did pretty decently. Hilariously my best class was the one that I stopped reading for halfway through the semester.

Civ Pro?

of course

User avatar
czpczp
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:54 am

Re: Fa1Lure is Imminent

Postby czpczp » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:27 pm

Gray wrote:So I did cave and checked grades the night they came out, and actually did pretty decently. Hilariously my best class was the one that I stopped reading for halfway through the semester.



woah, cant believe you caved.

User avatar
Gray
Posts: 6425
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:02 pm

Re: Fa1Lure is Imminent

Postby Gray » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:03 pm

czpczp wrote:
Gray wrote:So I did cave and checked grades the night they came out, and actually did pretty decently. Hilariously my best class was the one that I stopped reading for halfway through the semester.



woah, cant believe you caved.

lolol yeah big shock eh

the rest of the GULC TLS contingent were all talking about it and all did really well so I couldn't resist

03282016
Posts: 4985
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:52 am

[s][/s]

Postby 03282016 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:15 pm

Last edited by 03282016 on Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DCfilterDC
Posts: 3249
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:55 pm

Re: Fa1Lure is Imminent

Postby DCfilterDC » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:22 pm

Wahrheit wrote:Chicago grades are up.


Does Chicago rank or give percentiles?

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: Fa1Lure is Imminent

Postby 03152016 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:30 pm

.
Last edited by 03152016 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

03282016
Posts: 4985
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:52 am

[s][/s]

Postby 03282016 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:30 pm

Last edited by 03282016 on Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 15401
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Fa1Lure is Imminent

Postby Rigo » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:31 pm

"Not allowed to estimate" ? That's silly.

03282016
Posts: 4985
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:52 am

[s][/s]

Postby 03282016 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:32 pm

Last edited by 03282016 on Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Gray
Posts: 6425
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:02 pm

Re: Fa1Lure is Imminent

Postby Gray » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:35 pm

Rigo wrote:"Not allowed to estimate" ? That's silly.

i mean not estimating for employers makes sense. one can estimate on TLS all they want.

User avatar
Minnietron
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:28 am

Re: Fa1Lure is Imminent

Postby Minnietron » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:36 pm

Wahrheit wrote:
Rigo wrote:"Not allowed to estimate" ? That's silly.

It's really not.

Why is it not? Do you not have historical data, or is the data too varied to draw broad inferences from year to year?

03282016
Posts: 4985
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:52 am

[s][/s]

Postby 03282016 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:37 pm

Last edited by 03282016 on Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DCfilterDC
Posts: 3249
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:55 pm

Re: Fa1Lure is Imminent

Postby DCfilterDC » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:39 pm

Wahrheit wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:
Wahrheit wrote:Chicago grades are up.


Does Chicago rank or give percentiles?

No, and we are not allowed to estimate. We are also thoroughly discouraged from posting / sharing / talking about grades at all w/ others, I know I won't be saying anything about mine.


Yeah same at CLS in terms of not allowed to estimate our rank or say what we think it would be. Though I don't get the "thoroughly discouraged from posting / sharing / talking about grades at all w/ others" part?

User avatar
xael
Posts: 7549
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:18 pm

Re: Fa1Lure is Imminent

Postby xael » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:46 pm

Wahrheit wrote:
Minnietron wrote:
Wahrheit wrote:
Rigo wrote:"Not allowed to estimate" ? That's silly.

It's really not.

Why is it not? Do you not have historical data, or is the data too varied to draw broad inferences from year to year?

We don't have the data (as far as I know), and this quarter's grades combined are worth the same as one of Crim, Torts, Contracts, or Property alone. They basically don't mean anything other than that we didn't fail.

ETA this is the last post I'll make on the matter, I just wanted classmates who don't check email (lol) to know they were up.


Yeah it is only like 20% of your total gpa or whatever for the year.

It was something that makes sls suck. At Chicago they gradually bring you in and you can fix if things went wrong but here you get 5 grades fall quarter, then 3-4 winter, and 3-4 spring (but 3 of the grades winter/spring come from 1 class) so it's hard to correct.

User avatar
DCfilterDC
Posts: 3249
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:55 pm

Re: Fa1Lure is Imminent

Postby DCfilterDC » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:53 pm

xael wrote:
Wahrheit wrote:
Minnietron wrote:
Wahrheit wrote:
Rigo wrote:"Not allowed to estimate" ? That's silly.

It's really not.

Why is it not? Do you not have historical data, or is the data too varied to draw broad inferences from year to year?

We don't have the data (as far as I know), and this quarter's grades combined are worth the same as one of Crim, Torts, Contracts, or Property alone. They basically don't mean anything other than that we didn't fail.

ETA this is the last post I'll make on the matter, I just wanted classmates who don't check email (lol) to know they were up.


Yeah it is only like 20% of your total gpa or whatever for the year.

It was something that makes sls suck. At Chicago they gradually bring you in and you can fix if things went wrong but here you get 5 grades fall quarter, then 3-4 winter, and 3-4 spring (but 3 of the grades winter/spring come from 1 class) so it's hard to correct.


I thought SLS was just pass/honors kind of deal

User avatar
xael
Posts: 7549
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:18 pm

Re: Fa1Lure is Imminent

Postby xael » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:55 pm

Yeah, it is. So it's not a fair comparison. But on the other hand, it's hard to fix straight Ps (where objectively you could have been above median in all those classes) from the first quarter--it really overwhelms your transcript.

Not that people don't bounce back Ofc. Was more just reflecting on Chicago's "only have 2 grades first quarter" thing. It's less a reflection of who someone is as a student and more a chance to fix things that might have gone wrong IMHO.




Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests