2Little 2Late

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

How much are you regretting your extracurricular choices?

Not at all, I can manage my time.
4%
I get busy sometimes, but it's not the worst.
16%
Every couple of weeks I briefly lose my sanity.
25%
I long for the sweet release of death.
31%
I am smart and didn't sign up for unnecessary BS
24%

Total votes: 89

DCfilterDC

Re: Fa1Lure is Imminent

Postby DCfilterDC » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:28 am

I'm happy with my grades, and even before they came out I knew there was a lot I needed to changed/step-up for next semester. But now I'm nervous for next semester. I feel like I would have been less nervous if I got median and just thought that the worse that can happen is I get median again. Now I need to replicate what I really think was just luck...

Hand

Postby Hand » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:01 pm

Still no grades. All we got so far is an email from a prof saying "submitted your grades, y'all did really well, tight curve on that bitch, so don't cry too much if your grade is lower than you thought it would be," which was not reassuring.

LoganCouture

Postby LoganCouture » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:06 pm

Congrats to everyone w/ grades out!!

For those still waiting I'm sending good thoughts your way.

Joscellin

Postby Joscellin » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:17 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:I'm happy with my grades ... But now I'm nervous for next semester. Now I need to replicate what I really think was just luck...

This is pretty much exactly how I feel. I'm over the moon about my grades, but now I have to repeat, or at least do something reasonably close.

I think most law students just have to be neurotic about something.

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:20 pm

Joscellin wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:I'm happy with my grades ... But now I'm nervous for next semester. Now I need to replicate what I really think was just luck...

This is pretty much exactly how I feel. I'm over the moon about my grades, but now I have to repeat, or at least do something reasonably close.

True, I guess with all these threads of "I'm at median/below median, can I jump up next semester," a bunch of replies of saying "yeah I did," scares me that the luck of this semester is going to dissipate next semester.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:28 pm

I second the nervousness. I'm happy and proud of my grades but know people will come roaring back next semester. Just remember to give it all you got again.

Hikikomorist

Postby Hikikomorist » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:41 pm

Last edited by Hikikomorist on Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:45 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
Joscellin wrote:

I don't get this mindset at all.

I think he meant not that he has to repeat the work he did, but he has to repeat or get close to the same grades, and no one really knows what the actual causal chain is, so it's kind of a crap shoot to know whether you're going to repeat those same grades.

Joscellin

Postby Joscellin » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:47 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
Joscellin wrote:

I think he meant not that he has to repeat the work he did, but he has to repeat or get close to the same grades, and no one really knows what the actual causal chain is, so it's kind of a crap shoot to know whether you're going to repeat those same grades.

Bingo.

Hikikomorist

Postby Hikikomorist » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:53 pm

Last edited by Hikikomorist on Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joscellin

Postby Joscellin » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:55 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
Joscellin wrote:

My point was, if you were happy with median going into your first set of finals (presumably because that would get you the outcome you wanted), you should feel relaxed and cool with slipping a little below median this semester.

Well it's a sliding scale of outcomes, right? With the grades I got, new outcomes are on the table if I can come close to maintaining. There's outcomes you're happy with coming in, and there's outcomes that are aspirational.

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:55 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:My point was, if you were happy with median going into your first set of finals (presumably because that would get you the outcome you wanted), you should feel relaxed and cool with slipping a little below median this semester.

"A taste of honey is worse than no honey at all." - Smokey Robinson

Big Red

Postby Big Red » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:30 pm

to succeed in 1L I think you need to be able to maintain a baseline level of anxiety, and to nurture and grow that anxiety as the year goes along, until it all explodes into a panic that gets you through the ~2 weeks before finals

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:25 pm

Big Red wrote:to succeed in 1L I think you need to be able to maintain a baseline level of anxiety, and to nurture and grow that anxiety as the year goes along, until it all explodes into a panic that gets you through the ~2 weeks before finals

this could, and should, be an introductory quote to a number of law books. the list would include getting to maybe, 1L of a ride, planet law school, every E&E, and so on. lol, that a student should "nurture and grow" anxiety is so gunner (in a good way, trust me, cuz i'm the exact same). we each need to maintain our own personal gardens of anxiety.

Hikikomorist

Postby Hikikomorist » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:33 pm

Last edited by Hikikomorist on Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Minnietron

Postby Minnietron » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:15 am

Hikikomorist wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:
Big Red wrote:to succeed in 1L I think you need to be able to maintain a baseline level of anxiety, and to nurture and grow that anxiety as the year goes along, until it all explodes into a panic that gets you through the ~2 weeks before finals

this could, and should, be an introductory quote to a number of law books. the list would include getting to maybe, 1L of a ride, planet law school, every E&E, and so on. lol, that a student should "nurture and grow" anxiety is so gunner (in a good way, trust me, cuz i'm the exact same). we each need to maintain our own personal gardens of anxiety.

I guess I wasn't anxious enough last semester. Are there pro-anxiety pills one can take?

Just read the inspirational words of Iron Mike, and then convince yourself you have to fight him if you don't get A-s.

[s][/s]

Postby 03282016 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:11 am

Last edited by 03282016 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

dabigchina

Postby dabigchina » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:33 am

DCfilterDC wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
Joscellin wrote:

I take it you are above median at CCN.

I think you will be just fine. Chill out.

Kinky John

Postby Kinky John » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:17 pm

Wahrheit wrote:so

I liked it, would have been better if he was actually funny, but I still give it a perfect 5/7

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:20 pm

dabigchina wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
Joscellin wrote:

I take it you are above median at CCN.

I think you will be just fine. Chill out.

Not really worried at all, we're all gonna be fine.

Hand

Postby Hand » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:26 pm

Kinky John wrote:

I liked it, would have been better if he was actually funny, but I still give it a perfect 5/7

Wahr are you telling us your plan is to drop out after 2L? Bold plan, I like it

unsweetened

Postby unsweetened » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:32 pm

Weird feeling that this spring semester will be a bloodbath. All the students who did really well are probably going to keep doing what they are doing and continue doing well. All the students who did okay are going to ratchet up the effort even more in an attempt to do really well since they were so close. Many median students will figure out how to get better and things may start to click for even those that ended up below median. Everyone is against you.

czpczp

Postby czpczp » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:36 pm

Kinky John wrote:

Was that supposed to be comedy? Because I felt like I was watching a Lifetime drama on poor decisions.

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:36 pm

czpczp wrote:
Kinky John wrote:

Was that supposed to be comedy? Because I felt like I was watching a Lifetime drama on poor decisions.

Yeah I didn't think this was a comedy thing, I thought it was like him just speaking.

czpczp

Postby czpczp » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:38 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:
czpczp wrote:
Kinky John wrote:

Yeah I didn't think this was a comedy thing, I thought it was like him just speaking.

Which I think actually made it more effective. Like bro this is real. im not fucking around. I. made. a. boo boo.

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”