2Little 2Late

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

How successful have you been at forcing yourself to care about grades?

lol
13%
... I mean I still need to graduate... I guess...
26%
I want to maintain some semblance of dignity
40%
I am a clerkship gunner and/or incorrigible perfectionist
21%

Total votes: 47

BVest

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby BVest » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:33 pm

OMLS48 wrote:Have any of your professors given a page limit for your exams? my Torts professor said he may or may not restrict our exams to 8 pages. Ive never heard of this before. Is it more common than I think?

Is it one question for the whole exam? More typically they'll word limit you for each question. As one point of data, I had a total of 16 exams with essays in LS and 3 or 4 of them were word-limited, so 20-25%.

unsweetened

Postby unsweetened » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:47 pm

TetrisBlock wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:Have an open memo draft due right now. I've spent a total of ~3-4 hours on this thing, but it was a deadline so I turned in a steaming pile of shit. Going to have to completely redo my analysis for when I have to turn in the real thing. Whatever I don't really care about it. I also have a legal research final coming up in like 12 days that I haven't even begun to think about. It's worth 0.5 credits/semester though so just lol.

I found what was most helpful was that on a day where I got out of class at noon, I stayed on campus till 7:30 and just worked on the memo. My goal was to finish it, but I only got about 3/4 done. Still, it meant that it wasn't hanging over my head the whole weekend (and I finished my contracts book). I also realized that I need to do a lot more research to get some cases to cite for contributory negligence because I don't have cases for why the way the defendant acted was negligent. I just have a case saying the general theory.

I want to do a good job on the memo this week(by going to the WUSTL writing lab a couple times, a TA meeting or two, and with the professor), but honestly to do that I would probably need to work on it for several hours each day this week and tweak revise drafts between meetings when I really need to be finishing a class to take practice exams next week. I'm probably just going to meet with the professor, a TA, and then do my noon-7 thing again and hope for the best...but expect the worst.

I kind of wish the open memo was due the week after exams. I feel like improving writing is such a time suck where it will expand to fill as much time as you allot to it, and I wish I had a week with no competing commitments.

Maybe, just want to get the open memo over with. Everything else has pretty much gone on hold. I have done zero outlining in the past week :-(
Feeling pretty depressed, but at least classes are over in 2 weeks.

Minnietron

Postby Minnietron » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:06 pm

unsweetened wrote:Maybe, just want to get the open memo over with. Everything else has pretty much gone on hold. I have done zero outlining in the past week :-(

Head up mate. Think about how easy outlining will seem after the grind of the memo. You will be able to catchup on them in no time flat!

buckiguy_sucks

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:08 pm

I'm confused about open/closed memo distinction. Is it p/f LRW? Did you guys not learn to do legal research in your other memos? Wouldn't that fuck you for the graded one? We've done 3 and are starting our graded memo at the end of the week, but two of our last ones we had to the research for independently so they were still "open"

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:14 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:I'm confused about open/closed memo distinction. Is it p/f LRW? Did you guys not learn to do legal research in your other memos? Wouldn't that fuck you for the graded one? We've done 3 and are starting our graded memo at the end of the week, but two of our last ones we had to the research for independently so they were still "open"

What is legal research? Is that important?

IsThisForReal

Postby IsThisForReal » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:19 pm

Ours is graded and all the previous memos were closed. This final one will be the first open memo

Hikikomorist

Postby Hikikomorist » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:22 pm

OhBoyOhBortles wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:I'm confused about open/closed memo distinction. Is it p/f LRW? Did you guys not learn to do legal research in your other memos? Wouldn't that fuck you for the graded one? We've done 3 and are starting our graded memo at the end of the week, but two of our last ones we had to the research for independently so they were still "open"

I think it's one of the things that gets us Lexis points.

Gray

Postby Gray » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:26 pm

Hikkomorist wrote:
OhBoyOhBortles wrote:

lol

buckiguy_sucks

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:27 pm

IsThisForReal wrote:Ours is graded and all the previous memos were closed. This final one will be the first open memo

That's so stupid did you guys have to do a lot of other learn to legal research shit then?

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:28 pm

Gray wrote:
Hikkomorist wrote:
OhBoyOhBortles wrote:

lol

Also enjoyed this

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:29 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
IsThisForReal wrote:Ours is graded and all the previous memos were closed. This final one will be the first open memo

That's so stupid did you guys have to do a lot of other learn to legal research shit then?

Yeah we had multiple research practice assignments leading up to it. They were more time-consuming than anything else, I think. I still felt like I was inventing the wheel when doing the actual research. But, it's all good bc I know my classmates felt that way too. #Aimingformedian

IsThisForReal

Postby IsThisForReal » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:50 pm

We had a few worksheets where we followed simple instructions and wrote what the searches they told us to do turned up. And three classes were dedicated to the bloomber, lexis, and westlaw reps.

Companion Cube

Postby Companion Cube » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:54 pm

IsThisForReal wrote:We had a few worksheets where we followed simple instructions and wrote what the searches they told us to do turned up. And three classes were dedicated to the bloomber, lexis, and westlaw reps.

WHICH WILL YOU CHOOSE?? THE CHOICE IS YOURS YOURS YOURS...

IsThisForReal

Postby IsThisForReal » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:58 pm

Companion Cube wrote:
IsThisForReal wrote:We had a few worksheets where we followed simple instructions and wrote what the searches they told us to do turned up. And three classes were dedicated to the bloomber, lexis, and westlaw reps.

I've been using lexis since the summer anyway. Plus, points.

Minnietron

Postby Minnietron » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:24 pm

IsThisForReal wrote:
Companion Cube wrote:

I've been using lexis since the summer anyway. Plus, points.

I'm paying for holiday shopping with Lexis points.

BVest

Postby BVest » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:36 pm

The idea is not to try to learn research and writing all together, but separate them out into discrete lessons. Generally you'll have assignments where they're basically telling you what to find, teaching you the mechanics of research. Then you'll have assignments where you're given some issue and you're told to find the cases that control, teaching you the art of research. Then you'll have assignments where you write different component parts of a memo using a closed universe teaching you formatting/interpretation/writing; if the class is well organized, this will use the cases that you were supposed to have identified in a prior assignment. Finally (for ungraded assignments), you'll have the closed memo to practice putting all of the formatting/interpretation/writing skills together with an opportunity for feedback. Once you've done all that, you have the building blocks in place for the open memo and pray to god that the 2Ls and 3Ls who wrote this year's fact pattern didn't fuck it up (as they occasionally do).

unsweetened

Postby unsweetened » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:20 pm

Minnietron wrote:
unsweetened wrote:Maybe, just want to get the open memo over with. Everything else has pretty much gone on hold. I have done zero outlining in the past week :-(

Head up mate. Think about how easy outlining will seem after the grind of the memo. You will be able to catchup on them in no time flat!

Hopefully, at least the end is nigh... and I got a sweet LexisAdvance water bottle from our Lexis rep today, so that helped quell some of my sadness.
The best results I've had outlining is with a small group of people that I don't socialize with. We assign ourselves a couple of sections to complete and meet once a week to review and fill in holes wherever we find them. Actually feeling pretty excited about finishing class and studying for finals.

[s][/s]

Postby 03282016 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:33 pm

Last edited by 03282016 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

KMart

Postby KMart » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:24 am

I keep forgetting to do a search for the Lexis points every day. I'm faillling!

unsweetened

Postby unsweetened » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:28 am

KMart wrote:I keep forgetting to do a search for the Lexis points every day. I'm faillling!

Pro Tip: Get tons of points for watching videos and guessing answers to the quizzes at the end. Some of the videos are worth as much as doing a search every day for the entire week.

IsThisForReal

Postby IsThisForReal » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:32 am

unsweetened wrote:
KMart wrote:I keep forgetting to do a search for the Lexis points every day. I'm faillling!

Pro Tip: Get tons of points for watching videos and guessing answers to the quizzes at the end. Some of the videos are worth as much as doing a search every day for the entire week.

Pro'er tip. Do both. And when you get bored, repeatedly click the lexis advance button till you get an instant win.

unsweetened

Postby unsweetened » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:37 am

IsThisForReal wrote:
unsweetened wrote:

Pro'er tip. Do both. And when you get bored, repeatedly click the lexis advance button till you get an instant win.

+Table Tips

And free printing? YES! Admittedly, I like Westlaw Next a little bit better as a platform, but Lexis gives me free shit and I like free shit.

KMart

Postby KMart » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:39 am

IsThisForReal wrote:
unsweetened wrote:

What is this Lexis advance button with instant win?

[s][/s]

Postby 03282016 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:48 am

Last edited by 03282016 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hikikomorist

Postby Hikikomorist » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:13 am

unsweetened wrote:

If you frequent reddit, someone always posts the answers to the r/LawSchool sub-reddit, so you can skip to the end of your video and yet still get your 100 points every time.

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”