2Little 2Late

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

How much are you regretting your extracurricular choices?

Not at all, I can manage my time.
4%
I get busy sometimes, but it's not the worst.
16%
Every couple of weeks I briefly lose my sanity.
24%
I long for the sweet release of death.
32%
I am smart and didn't sign up for unnecessary BS
23%

Total votes: 90

Gray

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby Gray » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:05 pm

justabitunusual wrote:
Gray wrote:I actually love ICW exercises. Just putting it out there.

Good to know, I just thought they'd be pointless, since every time I use their "standard" citation tool, it has issues (even w unchecking "parallel citation" box)

TBH I think there are different programs for it and mine just sucks less than others.

justabitunusual

Postby justabitunusual » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:18 pm

Maybe so? We have Lexis Advance, so idk if there's a better program, but def possible... but really, I think I'm prob not using it correctly as far as getting the right citations to automatically generate...I haven't even looked at the ICW stuff, but will check it out after pulling it up...looks cool/informative

Gray

Postby Gray » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:47 pm

justabitunusual wrote:Maybe so? We have Lexis Advance, so idk if there's a better program, but def possible... but really, I think I'm prob not using it correctly as far as getting the right citations to automatically generate...I haven't even looked at the ICW stuff, but will check it out after pulling it up...looks cool/informative

Oh we have them assigned for LRW

justabitunusual

Postby justabitunusual » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:55 pm

Gray wrote:Oh we have them assigned for LRW

That's prob one of the better uses / assignments of the research component...R is a separate class for us, and it's mostly unhelpful :/ I think they do it that way, bc we only have R for one semester, but still the assignments are pretty tedious and the info mostly intuitive.

I think it would work better as an online class or with something like this, where you're forced to do skills that you will use...However, other sections have writing professors who emphasize bluebook every week whereas mine hates bluebook and uses it as a necessary evil...so i will def check out the exercises!

Minnietron

Postby Minnietron » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:35 pm

Gray wrote:I actually love ICW exercises. Just putting it out there.

I don't love them, but I respect their efficacy in illustrating how nit-pickingly comprehensive the BB's rules are.

radio1nowhere

Postby radio1nowhere » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:39 pm

CLOSED MEMO GRADE. Not sure I want to open this email

andthenIwaslike

Postby andthenIwaslike » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:16 am

What's the deal with open/closed memos? We just had a shorter memo and now the "major" memo. Is it like limited/unlimited research to use?

justabitunusual

Postby justabitunusual » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:20 am

andthenIwaslike wrote:What's the deal with open/closed memos? We just had a shorter memo and now the "major" memo. Is it like limited/unlimited research to use?

Basically the same concept...for us, "closed memo" meant we could only use the research provided to us. We were given 5 cases and 2 different laws to look at and we weren't allowed to research anything else for that assignment- it was only worth 25% of our grade. For the Open Memo, we have to do all of our own research and it's worth 50% of our grade.

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:30 am

justabitunusual wrote:
andthenIwaslike wrote:What's the deal with open/closed memos? We just had a shorter memo and now the "major" memo. Is it like limited/unlimited research to use?

Basically the same concept...for us, "closed memo" meant we could only use the research provided to us. We were given 5 cases and 2 different laws to look at and we weren't allowed to research anything else for that assignment- it was only worth 25% of our grade. For the Open Memo, we have to do all of our own research and it's worth 50% of our grade.

Is your major memo only worth 25%...?

[s][/s]

Postby 03282016 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:43 am

Last edited by 03282016 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

haus

Postby haus » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:38 am

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
haus wrote:My LRW assignments are due at 1 AM (well midnight is the stated deadline, but my house is in a different time zone), my last assignment was submitted with 43 seconds to spare.

I felt bad about leaving that much time on the clock, maybe I will do better on Saturday.

P.S.

A a parent of a young child, it stinks that I have an assignments due on Halloween. . .

:shock:

Only left about 30 seconds on the clock for last nights assignment, I will count that as an improvement.

Hikikomorist

Postby Hikikomorist » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:48 am

Where do other 1Ls find the time and energy to plan and execute elaborate-seeming Halloween costumes?

haus

Postby haus » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:05 am

Hikkomorist wrote:Where do other 1Ls find the time and energy to plan and execute elaborate-seeming Halloween costumes?

I do not know, as a part-timer, with a full-time job, and a family, I consider it a success if I can plan things out well enough to start my day with a clean shirt.

Although, I was happy to see that my daughter had an outfit that she seemed to like (blue princess dress and with wings).

Kinky John

Postby Kinky John » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:20 pm

Hikkomorist wrote:Where do other 1Ls find the time and energy to plan and execute elaborate-seeming Halloween costumes?

what was your Halloween costume hikko?

RCSOB657

Postby RCSOB657 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:08 pm

Fucking West sucks ass with cites, I had to correct every single one because of no abbreviation periods. I'm sticking with LN.

IsThisForReal

Postby IsThisForReal » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:58 pm

Hey guys, this is a reminder to

BACK UP YOUR NOTES

One of my classmates had her laptop and some books stolen and she's starting from square one. Losing your notes is so easy to prevent. OneDrive, Dropbox, Google Drive, Cloud, Evernote, external harddrive. Back it up. Please.

[s][/s]

Postby 03282016 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:26 pm

Last edited by 03282016 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

RCSOB657

Postby RCSOB657 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:33 pm

Well that sucks. You know what has really freaked me out here though? I am disconnecting my home internet. Don't need it, don't have cable. Don't need it. Still having more fun than half my class mates who constantly stay stressed out and I'm consistently out-performing most of them too. Here's a cool thing though, we really don't GAF about that beyond keeping scholarships.

haus

Postby haus » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:48 pm

IsThisForReal wrote:Hey guys, this is a reminder to

BACK UP YOUR NOTES

One of my classmates had her laptop and some books stolen and she's starting from square one. Losing your notes is so easy to prevent. OneDrive, Dropbox, Google Drive, Cloud, Evernote, external harddrive. Back it up. Please.

I use one of these services and I generally recommend the notion, but I recommend fully trusting things that are important to you to only one solution. Fortunately it is rare, but errors do occasionally occurs with document syncing solutions and because they have permission to altering files on your system, these errors damage/delete the files from your system.

One should consider an actual backup solution, weather that is copying your school files to a thumb drive, backing up to an external drive, or using a web hosted backup solution, as a fall back solution.

Keep in mind, there are two types of computer users, those that have had dramatic data loss, and those who will have dramatic data loss.

Hikikomorist

Postby Hikikomorist » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:52 pm

Kinky John wrote:

I don't dress up for Halloween. Too much effort.

Hand

Postby Hand » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:15 pm

Hikkomorist wrote:
Kinky John wrote:

I don't dress up for Halloween. Too much effort.

Plus you're scary enough as is, right?

Poldy

Postby Poldy » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:36 pm

haus wrote:

BACK UP YOUR NOTES

I use one of these services and I generally recommend the notion, but I recommend fully trusting things that are important to you to only one solution. Fortunately it is rare, but errors do occasionally occurs with document syncing solutions and because they have permission to altering files on your system, these errors damage/delete the files from your system.

One should consider an actual backup solution, weather that is copying your school files to a thumb drive, backing up to an external drive, or using a web hosted backup solution, as a fall back solution.

Keep in mind, there are two types of computer users, those that have had dramatic data loss, and those who will have dramatic data loss.

All my notes are on paper. Short of a fire, I'm safe.

RCSOB657

Postby RCSOB657 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:41 pm

Poldy wrote:

^ most of my classes forbid electronics anyhow.

IsThisForReal

Postby IsThisForReal » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:43 pm

Poldy wrote:
haus wrote:

BACK UP YOUR NOTES

Or someone jacks your whole backpack

Poldy

Postby Poldy » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:45 pm

I don't carry a backpack. I carry the notes for whatever class I'm going to and leave everything else in my locker. Why would anyone carry everything around?

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”