2Little 2Late

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

How much are you regretting your extracurricular choices?

Not at all, I can manage my time.
4
4%
I get busy sometimes, but it's not the worst.
14
16%
Every couple of weeks I briefly lose my sanity.
22
25%
I long for the sweet release of death.
28
31%
I am smart and didn't sign up for unnecessary BS
21
24%
 
Total votes: 89

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22821
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:50 pm

You might have better luck asking if it's possible for you to switch sections based on your issues with your current schedule? No idea if a school will do that, but it seems less disruptive than making it a crusade about fairness and trying to get the schedule for your entire section changed. (Scheduling is a huge pain in administrators' asses and the likelihood of changing a whole section's schedule is pretty much nil.)

User avatar
rnoodles
Posts: 7227
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:52 pm

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby rnoodles » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:51 pm

Look, I'm just trying to see if I can get a sweet deal on a metal print of your schedule. Think you can help a brother out? Can't shell out more than $15.

User avatar
BVest
Posts: 5682
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby BVest » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:53 pm

LMD wrote:However, I really do mean that I've reconsidered and I feel like I've got egg all over my face. The reality is that this is a very difficult schedule for me-- I share one car[] with my wife who has dragged me to Tallahassee as a trailing spouse, I am responsible for a lot of things at the house, and FSU law school has neither purchasable food within walking distance nor a refrigerator/cooking facilities for us to use. I don't think any of these factors matter with regard to the issue of fairness, but it may be that these factors are what's motivating me to pursue this argument.


Food

Commute or Commute

Plus you have like 4:45 to do whatever you want to do. Eat, study, lift, shower. It's all available on campus and even if it's not that close I'm sure there's a bus.

As far as fairness goes, life's not fair. Suck it up. (And that's not that bad a 1L schedule).

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4119
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby TheSpanishMain » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:08 pm

"Taking the piss"? You better be British, bub.

User avatar
justabitunusual
Posts: 1089
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:28 pm

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby justabitunusual » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:22 pm

Like Hillz, I can semi understand your plight...but like Nony, I think you're better off trying to get your own personal schedule changed.
Last edited by justabitunusual on Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Big Red
Posts: 3011
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:29 pm

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby Big Red » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:40 pm

Wahrheit wrote:
BVest wrote:
Kinky John wrote:
LMD wrote:Very curious as to what you guys think of this.


I think you have a strange photobucket


And you don't seem to mind fully outing yourself.


I looked and I regret it


(dude you should really address this issue)

User avatar
Hand
Posts: 3519
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 11:33 am

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby Hand » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:00 am

LMD wrote:The question is whether my argument is disingenuously reliant on this motivation.


:D

User avatar
Hand
Posts: 3519
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 11:33 am

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby Hand » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:02 am

Big Red wrote:
Wahrheit wrote:
BVest wrote:
Kinky John wrote:
LMD wrote:Very curious as to what you guys think of this.

I think you have a strange photobucket

And you don't seem to mind fully outing yourself.

I looked and I regret it

(dude you should really address this issue)

It's set to private now, I hope someone has some screenshots they can PM me

User avatar
BVest
Posts: 5682
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby BVest » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:29 am

Hand wrote:
Big Red wrote:
Wahrheit wrote:
BVest wrote:
Kinky John wrote:I think you have a strange photobucket

And you don't seem to mind fully outing yourself.

I looked and I regret it

(dude you should really address this issue)

It's set to private now, I hope someone has some screenshots they can PM me
I was mainly thinking of the fact that he outed himself with his name in the link (which was quoted by others).

03282016
Posts: 4984
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:52 am

[s][/s]

Postby 03282016 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:44 am

Last edited by 03282016 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
radio1nowhere
Posts: 355
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:01 pm

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby radio1nowhere » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:23 am

rnoodles22 wrote:Look, I'm just trying to see if I can get a sweet deal on a metal print of your schedule. Think you can help a brother out? Can't shell out more than $15.


Look I've been in the business awhile, you're gonna be hard pressed to get a canvas wrap for $15, let alone a metal print. Market is just too strong for 1L schedule prints right now

User avatar
star fox
Posts: 13679
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:13 pm

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby star fox » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:25 pm

Time in between classes was great. I just did all my work then. When I have back to backs and get done, I'm a hell of a lot more likely to just go home.

LMD
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:00 am

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby LMD » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:32 pm

If anyone would like screenshots of stuff I will provide them myself, there were a a bunch of pictures of my dad's baseball cards that I sold on eBay and some penis-related graphics and weird gifs/jpgs/memes that circulated probably a decade or go. Everything "weird"-- which is being exaggerated here-- is from years ago when I posted on a poker forum where you had to host images on photo bucket to post them. Most of the inappropriate pictures were used as responses to others.

It's possible the "weird" stuff that is being referred to is two racist images that I deleted because without context you just see them sitting there and wonder wtf. I had saved those in my photobucket to call someone else out for using them. The same way you might screenshot something inappropriate and then it's found on your computer. I have the same explanation for the Amazon page where someone posted a screenshot of a book and in their recent history they had viewed two books: Diary of a Pedophile and How to Make a Porno. Did you guys actually think I did that? If you found a screenshot of that taken by someone else who had looked through my photobucket would you assume he did as well? Or perhaps the shocking combination of a graphic penis plus the screenshot led you to believe it was me. I hope you guys aren't my lawyers when I finally go down for the stuff I actually have done.

locked my photobucket because there was so much hubbub that I wondered wtf I had on there that was so problematic. Given the response I doubt I'll be opening it back up but I'm really not sure what I'm supposed to be super-embarrassed about-- a graphic image of an erection?

User avatar
Kinky John
Posts: 1106
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:52 am

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby Kinky John » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:01 pm

Hand wrote:It's set to private now, I hope someone has some screenshots they can PM me


^This explanation is far more enjoyable than anything on there

User avatar
PeanutsNJam
Posts: 3699
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:57 pm

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby PeanutsNJam » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:57 pm

LMD wrote:If anyone would like screenshots of stuff I will provide them myself, there were a a bunch of pictures of my dad's baseball cards that I sold on eBay and some penis-related graphics and weird gifs/jpgs/memes that circulated probably a decade or go. Everything "weird"-- which is being exaggerated here-- is from years ago when I posted on a poker forum where you had to host images on photo bucket to post them. Most of the inappropriate pictures were used as responses to others.

It's possible the "weird" stuff that is being referred to is two racist images that I deleted because without context you just see them sitting there and wonder wtf. I had saved those in my photobucket to call someone else out for using them. The same way you might screenshot something inappropriate and then it's found on your computer. I have the same explanation for the Amazon page where someone posted a screenshot of a book and in their recent history they had viewed two books: Diary of a Pedophile and How to Make a Porno. Did you guys actually think I did that? If you found a screenshot of that taken by someone else who had looked through my photobucket would you assume he did as well? Or perhaps the shocking combination of a graphic penis plus the screenshot led you to believe it was me. I hope you guys aren't my lawyers when I finally go down for the stuff I actually have done.

locked my photobucket because there was so much hubbub that I wondered wtf I had on there that was so problematic. Given the response I doubt I'll be opening it back up but I'm really not sure what I'm supposed to be super-embarrassed about-- a graphic image of an erection?


I'm going to try and be helpful here. You're in law school now. Everything you associate yourself with publicly is under scrutiny by employers and peers. It's okay to find strange gifs funny/amusing. It's not okay to have a personal database of weird gifs tied to your full name. It doesn't matter if you think "professionalism" is flame; it's the way of the world. Get used to it.

As much as our generation is taught that we are special snowflakes not to be confined by society's expectations of how we should act, dress, or talk, the fact of the matter is we are thoroughly insignificant and replaceable cogs (at least for the next 10-20 years of our lives), and if we want a place in this world, we have to care very much about society's expectations of us. Understanding this demonstrates a level of self, and social, awareness that is useful in functioning as an adult.

jepper
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:13 pm

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby jepper » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:26 pm

On a topic other than this guy's plight of too much time on his hands, my description of how I feel when I'm doing a legal writing memo: when I'm trying to balance writing so a five year old can understand and also making sure to establish the appropriate level of detail, my brain starts to feel like it's collapsing in on itself and if I don't throw my computer across the room, it will implode. Hopefully, I'm not alone.

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2829
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby haus » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:57 pm

jepper wrote:On a topic other than this guy's plight of too much time on his hands, my description of how I feel when I'm doing a legal writing memo: when I'm trying to balance writing so a five year old can understand and also making sure to establish the appropriate level of detail, my brain starts to feel like it's collapsing in on itself and if I don't throw my computer across the room, it will implode. Hopefully, I'm not alone.

Producing this feeling in students is the primary purpose of LRW.

User avatar
andthenIwaslike
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:39 am

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby andthenIwaslike » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:53 pm

jepper wrote:trying to balance writing so a five year old can understand and also making sure to establish the appropriate level of detail


For serious, this is so hard. When you read this type of writing in sample briefs it looks so easy and approachable - yeah, just explain everything simply and logically, all the detail you need and no repetition. ...and then you sit down to do it yourself, and it's like, how do words work.

User avatar
Hikikomorist
Posts: 3078
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:05 pm

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby Hikikomorist » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:51 pm

andthenIwaslike wrote:
jepper wrote:trying to balance writing so a five year old can understand and also making sure to establish the appropriate level of detail


For serious, this is so hard. When you read this type of writing in sample briefs it looks so easy and approachable - yeah, just explain everything simply and logically, all the detail you need and no repetition. ...and then you sit down to do it yourself, and it's like, how do words work.

I still think it's much better/easier than the research component.

User avatar
xylocarp
Posts: 4740
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:16 am

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby xylocarp » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:36 pm

I've procrastinated SO MUCH today. I am never going to finish my major memo. I am actually going to fail out of law school.

User avatar
Minnietron
Posts: 591
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:28 am

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby Minnietron » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:44 pm

xylocarp wrote:I've procrastinated SO MUCH today. I am never going to finish my major memo. I am actually going to fail out of law school.

Or, you realize we are given way more time to produce a memo than in practice; so, you imposed artificial times constraints to closer approximate reality.

This can be a talking point during OCI when asked about your LRW grade. They will appreciate your dedication and offer you a position as junior partner.

User avatar
xylocarp
Posts: 4740
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:16 am

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby xylocarp » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:47 pm

Minnietron wrote:
xylocarp wrote:I've procrastinated SO MUCH today. I am never going to finish my major memo. I am actually going to fail out of law school.

Or, you realize we are given way more time to produce a memo than in practice; so, you imposed artificial times constraints to closer approximate reality.

This can be a talking point during OCI when asked about your LRW grade. They will appreciate your dedication and offer you a position as junior partner.

:lol: :lol:

User avatar
justabitunusual
Posts: 1089
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:28 pm

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby justabitunusual » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:53 pm

xylocarp wrote:I've procrastinated SO MUCH toEVERYday. I am never going to finish my major memo. I am actually going to fail out of law school.


Me too! Haven't been on tls in months, but with my memo due early next week and nothing on paper yet, I figured now was the best time to see what's been a brewin.

#winning

User avatar
Gray
Posts: 5986
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:02 pm

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby Gray » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:54 pm

I actually love ICW exercises. Just putting it out there.

User avatar
justabitunusual
Posts: 1089
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:28 pm

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby justabitunusual » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:59 pm

Gray wrote:I actually love ICW exercises. Just putting it out there.


Good to know, I just thought they'd be pointless, since every time I use their "standard" citation tool, it has issues (even w unchecking "parallel citation" box)




Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests