2Little 2Late

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

How much are you regretting your extracurricular choices?

Not at all, I can manage my time.
4%
I get busy sometimes, but it's not the worst.
16%
Every couple of weeks I briefly lose my sanity.
25%
I long for the sweet release of death.
31%
I am smart and didn't sign up for unnecessary BS
24%

Total votes: 89

radio1nowhere

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby radio1nowhere » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:12 am

Minnietron wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:Future Zoo Lawyers of America

This is a club that I would actually participate in during 1L. Do you happen to know the starting salary for Big Zoo?

The pay is nice but they work you like animals

rnoodles

Postby rnoodles » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:28 am

radio1nowhere wrote:
Minnietron wrote:

This is a club that I would actually participate in during 1L. Do you happen to know the starting salary for Big Zoo?

Are you lion? This was starting to sound appealing.

[s][/s]

Postby 03282016 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:15 am

Last edited by 03282016 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Minnietron

Postby Minnietron » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:35 am

rnoodles22 wrote:
radio1nowhere wrote:
Minnietron wrote:

Are you lion? This was starting to sound appealing.

It is great work if you can bear that you're expected to seal every deal.

Gray

Postby Gray » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:43 am

Minnietron wrote:It is great work if you can bear that you're expected to seal every deal.

lololol :lol:

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:47 am

Fucking major memo goddammit

tuxedocat

Postby tuxedocat » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:54 am

Minnietron wrote:

I hear that they give you all the fish you can catch in your mouth.

unsweetened

Postby unsweetened » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:40 pm

The first case in my reading for multiple sufficient causes in torts in another railroad case. Made me think of this thread.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:26 pm

LP closed memo said wustl has a mandatory mean of 87%? What? The mean was 100/115 pts, highest was 109. But the mean is worthless for trying to determine class rank right? It could be significantly above or below the median. Srsly wat?! I really don't care if my LP grade is even slightly below median, but this is pretty unhelpful. (WUSTL splits LRM into 2 classes, LP for 2 credits/semester and LRW for 0.5 credits/semester)

Kinky John

Postby Kinky John » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:49 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:LP closed memo said wustl has a mandatory mean of 87%? What? The mean was 100/115 pts, highest was 109. But the mean is worthless for trying to determine class rank right? It could be significantly above or below the median. Srsly wat?! I really don't care if my LP grade is even slightly below median, but this is pretty unhelpful. (WUSTL splits LRM into 2 classes, LP for 2 credits/semester and LRW for 0.5 credits/semester)

Not worthless, but not very helpful. I would think the higher you are above the mean, the higher the likelihood you'll be above the median, but then again I'm shit at math.

LMD

Postby LMD » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:44 pm

Note: Unfortunately I had to just link to the schedules instead of showing them because I can't post images. Looking at the schedule blocking illuminates the absurdity.

Opinions on this situation?

I'm sure many here have had terrible 1L schedules created by seemingly evil people, but I'm at a LFTT (low first tier toilet) and they spit out the schedules shown below for Spring '16. Context: My section (section 3) had the worst schedule the first term, but only by a by a little bit, they were pretty even though we had the earliest class, the most downtime between classes, and the only CivPro class that met four days per week instead of three. Nothing worth getting upset about because it was all reasonably understandable given logistical difficulties.

However, check out the schedule below. Of note, if you look at how much downtime between blocks of classes by section, you get, per week:

Section 1: 2 hours, 40 minutes. Back-to-back classes except for two days with a lunch break

Section 2: 9 hours, 10 minutes.

Section 3: 21 hours, 10 minutes.

I am going absolutely crazy fighting this schedule with the administration. Note that I don't particularly care if people don't like me, but I'm interested in the general opinion here on whether I should be doing this. So few of my section mates are behind me, but they are a neutered bunch who believe their lives will be over if they become a problem in the eyes of a dean. My case is entirely based on fairness-- the disparity in scheduling is so egregious next term that it is unacceptable. Furthermore, even if one section has to take a dreadful schedule (because, as I suspect happened, the logistics person is a moron who pretty much starts with section 1, makes it all nice, and then by the time she gets to section 3 takes a look at whatever slop is left over), it should not be the section that had the worst schedule in the first term because that just compounds the disadvantage.

Very curious as to what you guys think of this.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/michaeldavis/all%20sections-2.jpg

unsweetened

Postby unsweetened » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:03 pm

LMD wrote:
Very curious as to what you guys think of this.

Hate to sound insensitive, but... deal with it. That looks pretty much the same as my current schedule except that I have all five classes on Thursday.

Gray

Postby Gray » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:12 pm

the curve is WITHIN the section, right? so whatever.

Minnietron

Postby Minnietron » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:39 pm

You will have more forced study time! Plus, section one will be at the Tallahassee bars MUCH earlier on Friday than you will. The administration is just trying to keep your extraneous spending down :D

buckiguy_sucks

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:15 pm

LMD wrote:Opinions on this situation?

Section 1: 2 hours, 40 minutes. Back-to-back classes except for two days with a lunch break

Section 2: 9 hours, 10 minutes.

Section 3: 21 hours, 10 minutes.

I'm confused as to which one is unfair

ETA: sucks that people in section 1 don't get time to finish homework before their classes?

this is also how my schedule looks
Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

radio1nowhere

Postby radio1nowhere » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:18 pm

TBH I had to read the post to figure out which schedule you were unhappy with. I'm not sure that back-to-back classes are the paragon of scheduling anyway, let alone something you deserve to get from the administration. I'm sorry it presents you with problems, but I don't think you have much of a case no pun intended

Postby 03152016 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:24 pm

i like those breaks
that's when i do my reading
and back to backs are draining anyways

Kinky John

Postby Kinky John » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:31 pm

LMD wrote:Very curious as to what you guys think of this.

I think you have a strange photobucket

BVest

Postby BVest » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:55 pm

Kinky John wrote:
LMD wrote:Very curious as to what you guys think of this.

I think you have a strange photobucket

And you don't seem to mind fully outing yourself.

[s][/s]

Postby 03282016 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:59 pm

Last edited by 03282016 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

LMD

Postby LMD » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:04 pm

Thanks for the responses, guys, I do appreciate it. I will have to reconsider my position as I have almost no support. It appears I've made an ass of myself.

One thing I'm struggling with is this: While I acknowledge that many others have similar schedules, I still think it's important to compare the three sections with regard to inequity.

Second, a lot of the responses were like, so what, lots of study time in the library. The problem with this is again unfairness. In my section, we are forced into going to the library. The other sections get to choose whether or not they want to go to the library. So logistically, some students get to choose how they spend their lives, others don't. A lot of my life has been chosen for me.

I feel like I capuchin monkey here. I wouldn't have batted an eye at the schedule I received except to be sad about my life. But I don't understand how it is okay to give people such different qualities of life over the term.

However, I really do mean that I've reconsidered and I feel like I've got egg all over my face. The reality is that this is a very difficult schedule for me-- I share one care with my wife who has dragged me to Tallahassee as a trailing spouse, I am responsible for a lot of things at the house, and FSU law school has neither purchasable food within walking distance nor a refrigerator/cooking facilities for us to use. I don't think any of these factors matter with regard to the issue of fairness, but it may be that these factors are what's motivating me to pursue this argument.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:05 pm

I can't emphasize enough how much I don't understand why you're this mad about having time between classes.

You talk as if your civil rights have been violated because you're forced(?) to study in the library. Oh, the injustice.

You're going to be in for a surprise in the real world if you can't stand someone dictating where you spend 10-12 hours each day.
Last edited by PeanutsNJam on Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LMD

Postby LMD » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:08 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:I can't emphasize enough how much I don't understand why you're this mad about having time between classes.

You can't understand why I'm upset at having 21 hours a week of non-classtime that I have no choice but to spend on campus versus 3 hours? Or why I would be bothered at having a day with one class at 8:30 and then a second class at 3:15?

I mean, it's cool that you disagree and you guys have legitimate points about spending time in the library-- and I do believe that some of you would prefer this schedule. But I think you're taking the piss if you say you can't understand why I'm upset.

hillz

Postby hillz » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:21 pm

I actually do understand where you are coming from to an extent. I like to have a choice of where and when I study, too, and don't enjoy being forced to stay on campus. Some people aren't able to concentrate at home/don't live off campus/don't have a family and are single, so perhaps it doesn't matter to them if they have to stay on campus. I think things are definitely more difficult when you have other responsibilities or things that need your attention outside of school, so I empathize with you.

That said, I don't think it's worth creating such a fuss. I personally would just chalk it up to 1L being a tough year. Hopefully you'll be able to craft a schedule that works better for you during 2L. I also suggest grocery shopping and meal planning & prepping during a couple of spare hours on the weekend if you aren't already -- sounds like it would help.

LMD

Postby LMD » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:36 pm

I agree with the last two posts fwiw, I don't think how difficult it is for me personally should matter as far as whether it's worth protesting. I also don't think this is a particularly unusual 1L schedule. I don't deserve to be treated and differently because my life situation is different and I haven't made that a part of my argument at all. The question is whether my argument is disingenuously reliant on this motivation. Given the responses I've received, I suspect it is.

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”