2Little 2Late

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

How much are you regretting your extracurricular choices?

Not at all, I can manage my time.
4%
I get busy sometimes, but it's not the worst.
16%
Every couple of weeks I briefly lose my sanity.
25%
I long for the sweet release of death.
31%
I am smart and didn't sign up for unnecessary BS
24%

Total votes: 89

IsThisForReal

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby IsThisForReal » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:03 am

Minnie with the depth

[s][/s]

Postby 03282016 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:05 am

Last edited by 03282016 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

haus

Postby haus » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:15 am

Wahrheit wrote:Turned in my memo. Time for video games.

So jelly

Minnietron

Postby Minnietron » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:20 am

Now for something lacking depth.

On a scale of Mr.Rogers to Donald Trump - with The Situation as the midpoint - how douchey is the "Harvey Specter Walk." You know, the one where you put one hand in your pants pocket and swing the other arm freely.

I do it myself, but when I see other people, it looks kind of lame. Is it my associating this behavior with Harvey that makes it seem douchey, or is it really douchey?

Hikikomorist

Postby Hikikomorist » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:24 am

Minnietron wrote:Now for something lacking depth.

On a scale of Mr.Rogers to Donald Trump - with The Situation as the midpoint - how douchey is the "Harvey Specter Walk." You know, the one where you put one hand in your pants pocket and swing the other arm freely.

I do it myself, but when I see other people, it looks kind of lame. Is it my associating this behavior with Harvey that makes it seem douchey, or is it really douchey?

Definitely depends on how attractive the person is.

Minnietron

Postby Minnietron » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:00 am

Hikkomorist wrote:

Definitely depends on how attractive the person is.

Does attractiveness add to douchiness or detract?

landshoes
is that cool?

Postby landshoes » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:31 am

deleted for being sanctimonious

So that's my serious answer, but my "we're just fucking around" answer is that carrying books with your other arm is typically a really banging look so I'd just start doing that.

unsweetened

Postby unsweetened » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:37 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:
unsweetened wrote:As I'm building my contracts outline, I'm realizing that it's turning into a condensed version of my class notes, which is completely useless for exams. I need to build flow charts and am feeling pretty overwhelmed right now.

I made an outline for my contracts midterm which was just rules. There'd be the rule from the principle cases, with caveats to the rules/modifications from the note cases. It was a closed book exam. It was quite helpful in my opinion. Top 25% grade, and it wasn't higher only because I wasn't great at taking the exam (missed an issue, missed some analysis points). A better outline wouldn't have helped at all.

One thing to add that isn't pure BLL is when your professor criticizes a holding, and gives a reasoning for why the court should have held another way. Definitely internalize this reasoning, because that is lots of counterargument/analysis points, which is money money money.

Yeah flow chart + rules would be the way to go imo. Literally 0 facts. I think if it's open book you can have a separate argument outline, but idk.

I think that's the smart way to do it. My torts exam is closed book and my outline is basically a list of elements, rules, exceptions, splits, and list of cases that apply to each category. This is of course based on what the professor taught in class and told us we get points for listing.

Contracts is a whole 'nother ball game. Reading GTM was really helpful, since the professor teaches his class in a similar way that GTM explores how to answer exam questions. I have something like 90 pages of notes for that class so far and 80% is going to be worthless for the exam. It's been helpful looking at previous exam questions and looking at the logic of the model answers (when provided). I think the biggest struggle will be organizing the information so I can access and process it quickly during the exam. Some 2Ls had outlines that were 90 pages, which I think is positively insane.

unsweetened

Postby unsweetened » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:50 pm

Seems like the level of douchiness is dependent on the actor and the surrounding circumstances. Does the actor already have a douchey air about him, and if so, what is the pre-existing level of douchiness? Does the level of douchiness turn on the overall attractiveness of the actor? Are the elements of attractiveness subjective or objective? Is this particular manner of walking due to a medical condition or other condition beyond the actor's control or is it a voluntary act? Do the surrounding circumstances of the event, such as t-shirt time, see Ronnie v. Sammi 2 MTV 5 (N.J. Shore 2009), mitigate the level of douchiness being projected by the actor?

radio1nowhere

Postby radio1nowhere » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:01 pm

TA told me my outline was trash but joke's on her, I knew it was trash when I submitted it!

:| :| :|

Big Red

Postby Big Red » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:24 pm

oh damn I definitely do this

thank you for the new thing to be self-conscious about

BTW guys LOL at complaining about LRW, literally the only class I have a chance of booking

rnoodles

Postby rnoodles » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:30 pm

I usually walk like that when I've got my headphones in or am wearing an outfit I know is on point. So I think the context matters, cause when I feel more confident about something I do it. That's why I usually think people who do it are pretty chill/confident, and I respect that. On the scale you mentioned, I don't get douche or lame vibes at all. I get more Denzel in Training Day kind of vibes instead.

Also, I have no idea who Harvey Specter is.

haus

Postby haus » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:59 pm

Big Red wrote:BTW guys LOL at complaining about LRW, literally the only class I have a chance of booking

I will not book LRW, although there is a chance that my professor may throw a book at me during our conference session. . .

Hikikomorist

Postby Hikikomorist » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:01 pm

haus wrote:
Big Red wrote:BTW guys LOL at complaining about LRW, literally the only class I have a chance of booking

I will not book LRW, although there is a chance that my professor may throw a book at me during our conference session. . .

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what the opposite of booking a class is? Asking for a friend.

unsweetened

Postby unsweetened » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:10 pm

Hikkomorist wrote:
haus wrote:

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what the opposite of booking a class is? Asking for a friend.

bombing.

for the sake of alliteration

ub3r

Postby ub3r » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:30 pm

Not a regular ITT but the poll comforts me because I assumed everyone on TLS was a last-option picker

DJM

Postby DJM » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:50 pm

Have a memo due and will be on call in 2 classes tomrrow. Must be collusion.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:52 pm

What is the deal with on call, they say you'll be cold called tomorrow?

haus

Postby haus » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:54 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:What is the deal with on call, they say you'll be cold called tomorrow?

With advance notice, it sounds more like lukewarm calling. . .

Big Red

Postby Big Red » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:56 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:What is the deal with on call, they say you'll be cold called tomorrow?

there was this one time our prof ended on the person directly next to me, and I was like next in the sequence.

it was actually great idk why you guys complain about being "on call" getting sniped is waaaaaaaaay worse

Poldy

Postby Poldy » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:10 pm

One of my profs sends out emails the night before to say who will be called on in class.
Another cold calls but if your case or section isn't finished by the time class ends, you will be "on call" for it the next day.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:19 pm

Poldy wrote:

One of my profs sends out emails the night before to say who will be called on in class.
Another cold calls but if your case or section isn't finished by the time class ends, you will be "on call" for it the next day.

What if u skip class that day

Big Red

Postby Big Red » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:24 pm

have you guys had someone try to "pass" yet?

so much tensions

Hikikomorist

Postby Hikikomorist » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:27 pm

Big Red wrote:have you guys had someone try to "pass" yet?

so much tensions

Yeah, and the professor was cool with it.

DJM

Postby DJM » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:30 pm

Being on call is a lot easier than cold calls but it puts a higher standard for your answers.

I'm just complaining that I have to write the second half of my memo and read a bunch of boring K / civ pro cases before the morning.

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”