2Little 2Late

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

How successful have you been at forcing yourself to care about grades?

lol
7%
... I mean I still need to graduate... I guess...
27%
I want to maintain some semblance of dignity
44%
I am a clerkship gunner and/or incorrigible perfectionist
22%

Total votes: 41

[s][/s]

Postby 03282016 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:46 pm

Last edited by 03282016 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Minnietron

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby Minnietron » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:54 am

unsweetened wrote:Schadenfreude or morose delectation? I suppose whether it's terrible depends on the reasons for looking forward to December. As Llewellyn would say, "the rule goes where its reason leads, where reason stops, there stops the rule."

I'm looking forward to seeing what people learn about themselves after the rigor of exams. Adversity teaches us a lot! To be clear, I am including myself in the group getting punched in the mouth. There is no "joy in suffering" aspect.

unsweetened

Postby unsweetened » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:22 pm

Minnietron wrote:
unsweetened wrote:Schadenfreude or morose delectation? I suppose whether it's terrible depends on the reasons for looking forward to December. As Llewellyn would say, "the rule goes where its reason leads, where reason stops, there stops the rule."

I'm looking forward to seeing what people learn about themselves after the rigor of exams. Adversity teaches us a lot! To be clear, I am including myself in the group getting punched in the mouth. There is no "joy in suffering" aspect.

I'm interested to see how things shake out as well.

NoBladesNoBows

Postby NoBladesNoBows » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:28 pm

Last edited by NoBladesNoBows on Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

unsweetened

Postby unsweetened » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:31 pm

Almost done with my LRW take home exam. Death by 1000 Bluebook citations.

Actually it wasn't that bad, just tedious and there are other things that I would have rather done with my Friday night. Like read for any of my other classes. Also found a Chinese buffet place that's less than $10 with a drink. No food poisoning either, which is a double bonus.

Hikikomorist

Postby Hikikomorist » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:40 pm

NoBladesNoBows wrote:I assume that that's when the pervasive law-student cynicism sets in, as most of my classmates are still pretty happy-go-lucky at this point.

The worst part is that I've started feeling miserable in mere anticipation of what's coming.

andthenIwaslike

Postby andthenIwaslike » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:56 pm

Hand wrote:one guy starts his page long briefs with the name of the judge who decided the case which cracks me up every time; glad you wrote down the name of that 1920s montana appeals court judge my friend, that's gonna be real useful for the rest of your life

They cold call us on the judges' names.

Gray

Postby Gray » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:17 pm

andthenIwaslike wrote:
Hand wrote:one guy starts his page long briefs with the name of the judge who decided the case which cracks me up every time; glad you wrote down the name of that 1920s montana appeals court judge my friend, that's gonna be real useful for the rest of your life

do people still care about knowing details in cold calls? Anyway, unless it's about a supreme court case or maybe a cardozo/holmes/hand opinion, DGAF.

Hand

Postby Hand » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:23 pm

Gray wrote:
andthenIwaslike wrote:

do people still care about knowing details in cold calls? Anyway, unless it's about a supreme court case or maybe a cardozo/holmes/hand opinion, DGAF.

Seven weeks down and I still haven't gotten cold called. Would absolutely fumble the details of basically every case though given that I try to get all the readings for the week done before the week starts. Also, they don't give two shits about judges' names here so there is really no reason for this guy to do this shit.

acr

Postby acr » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:26 pm

got cold called today for a solid half an hour. our class was moved from its original room to a gigantic ass lecture hall. I was in the very last row basically screaming factual and procedural minutia i had no idea about to the professor
Last edited by acr on Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gray

Postby Gray » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:27 pm

Hand wrote:Seven weeks down and I still haven't gotten cold called. Would absolutely fumble the details of basically every case though given that I try to get all the readings for the week done before the week starts. Also, they don't give two shits about judges' names here so there is really no reason for this guy to do this shit.

are you like literally invisible?

Also my only cold call in contracts went like this:
"Ms. GRAY how long did the plaintiff want the contract to last?"
".........for...ever...?"
*moves on to person beside me*

Gray

Postby Gray » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:29 pm

acr wrote:got cold called today for a solid half an hour. our class was moved from its original room to the a gigantic ass lecture hall. I was in the very last row basically screaming factual and procedural minutia i had no idea bout to the professor

aww half an hour how lovely for you.

Hand

Postby Hand » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:30 pm

Gray wrote:
Hand wrote:Seven weeks down and I still haven't gotten cold called. Would absolutely fumble the details of basically every case though given that I try to get all the readings for the week done before the week starts. Also, they don't give two shits about judges' names here so there is really no reason for this guy to do this shit.

are you like literally invisible?

Also my only cold call in contracts went like this:
"Ms. GRAY how long did the plaintiff want the contract to last?"
".........for...ever...?"
*moves on to person beside me*

Professor looks at my last name
Thinks *what the fuck is that, I can't pronounce that shit*
Moves on to someone with trve american name

KMart

Postby KMart » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:33 pm

Fall break is nice for some students because they get time off. It's nice for me so I can work on this memo.

Poldy

Postby Poldy » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:01 am

acr wrote:got cold called today for a solid half an hour. our class was moved from its original room to a gigantic ass lecture hall. I was in the very last row basically screaming factual and procedural minutia i had no idea about to the professor

Half an hour isn't bad. I've been on call for three days now and will probably be on Monday as well.

NoBladesNoBows

Postby NoBladesNoBows » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:36 am

Last edited by NoBladesNoBows on Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

landshoes
is that cool?

Postby landshoes » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:33 am

wow, that sounds crazy and miserable.

I think the longest someone was on call was 45 minutes or so (the prof kept her on call because she was doing an excellent job and he wanted to let her keep impressing him, which she did).

Hikikomorist

Postby Hikikomorist » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:43 am

landshoes wrote:wow, that sounds crazy and miserable.

I think the longest someone was on call was 45 minutes or so (the prof kept her on call because she was doing an excellent job and he wanted to let her keep impressing him, which she did).

Yeah, I've definitely noticed cold calling goes better when you get something wrong as soon as possible after the first two questions.

landshoes
is that cool?

Postby landshoes » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:26 am

It depends on the prof for us; there's one who might move on if you get stuff wrong but most will just tell you that you are wrong and keep asking you the question until you get it right. One prof will ask someone else to help you out (after giving you 2-3 chances) but then will come right back to you for the rest of the line of questioning.

I am in the section that has the most hardass profs, though. Even our big teddy bear will keep pushing you if he thinks you're making a lazy argument. It gets uncomfortable.

Hikikomorist

Postby Hikikomorist » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:50 am

landshoes wrote:It depends on the prof for us; there's one who might move on if you get stuff wrong but most will just tell you that you are wrong and keep asking you the question until you get it right. One prof will ask someone else to help you out (after giving you 2-3 chances) but then will come right back to you for the rest of the line of questioning.

I am in the section that has the most hardass profs, though. Even our big teddy bear will keep pushing you if he thinks you're making a lazy argument. It gets uncomfortable.

That sounds horrible.

Poldy

Postby Poldy » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:06 pm

NoBladesNoBows wrote:
Poldy wrote:
acr wrote:got cold called today for a solid half an hour. our class was moved from its original room to a gigantic ass lecture hall. I was in the very last row basically screaming factual and procedural minutia i had no idea about to the professor

Half an hour isn't bad. I've been on call for three days now and will probably be on Monday as well.

wut

Could be worse. The first two days only had a couple of questions each. The third was a more normal cold call day. My prof in that class likes to stick with one person at least for an entire case if not for (as in my case) an entire subject.

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:14 pm

My section mostly just has really nice cold callers who will guide you to the right answer if you get it wrong (e.g. "well what if you looked at the second sentence in the third paragraph on page 298?" or "No, not quite... I'll give you a hint, it rhymes with query doctrine...") and then move on.

Gray

Postby Gray » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:26 pm

xylocarp wrote:My section mostly just has really nice cold callers who will guide you to the right answer if you get it wrong (e.g. "well what if you looked at the second sentence in the third paragraph on page 298?" or "No, not quite... I'll give you a hint, it rhymes with query doctrine...") and then move on.

talk about SOFTBALL amirite!?!

landshoes
is that cool?

Postby landshoes » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:38 pm

Hikkomorist wrote:
landshoes wrote:It depends on the prof for us; there's one who might move on if you get stuff wrong but most will just tell you that you are wrong and keep asking you the question until you get it right. One prof will ask someone else to help you out (after giving you 2-3 chances) but then will come right back to you for the rest of the line of questioning.

That sounds horrible.

There are definitely some uncomfortable moments. I get the impression that my profs would consider moving on from a cold-call to be lazy on their part.

buckiguy_sucks

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:57 pm

Help. Memo. No. Please. Why.

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”