LES MISERA3LES: ONE YEAR MORE

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

How prepared are you for your life right now?

I am bullet journalling, have planned my semester and am ready to make magna
5
7%
I have my shit together but I'm probably forgetting something
11
15%
I have made some effort but my life is basically in shambles
22
31%
I don't even have books or know where I'm going how is class starting already
12
17%
100% checked out mentally already #3LOLOLOLLLL
21
30%
 
Total votes: 71

User avatar
Minnietron
Posts: 751
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:28 am

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby Minnietron » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:45 pm

acr wrote:lol. student next to me forgets his written brief for a case (guy has like 2 page briefs for every case, even cases less than 1 page in the casebook) in class today and has a nervous breakdown. threatens to "email administration and challenge no-laptop policy" if cold-called

I was having a bad day and I was jacked up on caffeine. Give me a break. I wouldn't really have e-mailed the administration. I would've marched straight to the office and demanded to speak with Obama.

User avatar
landshoes
is that cool?
Posts: 1251
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:17 pm

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby landshoes » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:01 pm

no-laptop policies have to suck

we just have no internet which is the best of both worlds

03282016
Posts: 4985
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:52 am

[s][/s]

Postby 03282016 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:02 pm

Last edited by 03282016 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
KMart
Posts: 4369
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby KMart » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:07 pm

landshoes wrote:no-laptop policies have to suck

we just have no internet which is the best of both worlds

You must not have Starr for Crim haha.

User avatar
landshoes
is that cool?
Posts: 1251
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:17 pm

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby landshoes » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:08 pm

just append "in general" to all my posts dudes

User avatar
rnoodles
Posts: 8462
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:52 pm

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby rnoodles » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:19 pm

Minnietron wrote:
acr wrote:lol. student next to me forgets his written brief for a case (guy has like 2 page briefs for every case, even cases less than 1 page in the casebook) in class today and has a nervous breakdown. threatens to "email administration and challenge no-laptop policy" if cold-called

I was having a bad day and I was jacked up on caffeine. Give me a break. I wouldn't really have e-mailed the administration. I would've marched straight to the office and demanded to speak with Obama.


Thanks Obama.

User avatar
Big Red
Posts: 3223
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:29 pm

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby Big Red » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:47 pm

1 month into lawl school and still getting emails about ubalt open houses

I have a feeling I'm going to be on that dislist for the rest of my life

User avatar
Calbears123
Posts: 248
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:38 am

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby Calbears123 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:59 pm

Follow LRW instructor's direction almost literally on a four page paper, basically plagiarizing my instructor from class. Spend the same amount of space in my paper developing a rule, explaining the rule, and applying to rule to the issue, as my instructor did. Almost copy word for word my instructor's example in class for each paragraph.

Get paper back with an average / below average grade, final comments, I needed to more fully explain the rule and do more application. Bitch please I did basically exactly what you did and used up the maximum amount of space.

Either my LRW instructor is not teaching us correctly, or grading extremely harsh because this assignment was only graded based on completion and the next paper is actually graded. Either way I'm slightly pissed, is there any winning in LRW?

User avatar
PeanutsNJam
Posts: 4509
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:57 pm

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby PeanutsNJam » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:31 pm

Pretty sure LRW is curved so that may be why. For curved papers/exams there's a lot of hide-the-ball going on; if it was as easy as sticking to the example it'd be too hard to grade papers on a curve.

User avatar
Calbears123
Posts: 248
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:38 am

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby Calbears123 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:34 pm

The paper was only worth like 3% of our grade and was only "graded" as in whether you turned it in or not, still not happy tho I'll probably go to my instructors office hours and ask.

User avatar
unsweetened
Posts: 647
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:12 pm

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby unsweetened » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:01 pm

Sweet. Got tickets to the Brad Paisley Country Nation College Tour.

DJM
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:39 pm

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby DJM » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:14 pm

My five min breaks from reading always seem to end up as 'fuck it I'll read in the morning' or ' I'm not gonna read . . . I won't get cold called tomorrow'

User avatar
KMart
Posts: 4369
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby KMart » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:24 am

DJM wrote:My five min breaks from reading always seem to end up as 'fuck it I'll read in the morning' or ' I'm not gonna read . . . I won't get cold called tomorrow'

User avatar
Minnietron
Posts: 751
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:28 am

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby Minnietron » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:07 pm

I'm on call in class tomorrow. Do I stick to my guns/game plan of "I have better uses for my time than learning case-specific minutiae," or do I buckle and throughly re-read the case briefs, cases, and notes? Either way, I will inquire about the positioning of the boundary! :D

User avatar
IsThisForReal
Posts: 3821
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:29 am

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby IsThisForReal » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:09 pm

Minnietron wrote:I'm on call in class tomorrow. Do I stick to my guns/game plan of "I have better uses for my time than learning case-specific minutiae," or do I buckle and throughly re-read the case briefs, cases, and notes? Either way, I will inquire about the positioning of the boundary! :D

Blind grading exists for a reason.

User avatar
Minnietron
Posts: 751
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:28 am

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby Minnietron » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:19 pm

IsThisForReal wrote:
Minnietron wrote:I'm on call in class tomorrow. Do I stick to my guns/game plan of "I have better uses for my time than learning case-specific minutiae," or do I buckle and throughly re-read the case briefs, cases, and notes? Either way, I will inquire about the positioning of the boundary! :D

Blind grading exists for a reason.

Indeed it does! And I have been quick to point this out to several individuals, but when you know you're on call, the calculus changes a bit...

User avatar
radio1nowhere
Posts: 445
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:01 pm

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby radio1nowhere » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:32 pm

Minnietron wrote:I'm on call in class tomorrow. Do I stick to my guns/game plan of "I have better uses for my time than learning case-specific minutiae," or do I buckle and throughly re-read the case briefs, cases, and notes? Either way, I will inquire about the positioning of the boundary! :D


Remember the most time-honored TLS maxim ever, for use in all advice-giving situations: Do as I say, not as I do.

User avatar
landshoes
is that cool?
Posts: 1251
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:17 pm

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby landshoes » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:27 pm

I'm pretty jealous of those of you who don't have participation grades (we don't get an explicit grade but our grade can be adjusted up or down at the prof's whim based on participation)

User avatar
landshoes
is that cool?
Posts: 1251
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:17 pm

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby landshoes » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:29 pm

That said, if I knew I were going to be cold called I would definitely adjust my behavior to impress the prof, if I could do it without screwing anything else up too badly. It seems like impressing profs is generally a good idea for future reasons.

User avatar
Minnietron
Posts: 751
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:28 am

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby Minnietron » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:40 pm

radio1nowhere wrote:
Remember the most time-honored TLS maxim ever, for use in all advice-giving situations: Do as I say, not as I do.

Touche :lol:

landshoes wrote:I'm pretty jealous of those of you who don't have participation grades (we don't get an explicit grade but our grade can be adjusted up or down at the prof's whim based on participation)

Anecdata: I've only found one professor who shows the number/frequency of grade adjustments made per class. Every 2L/3L I've spoken to said that is just a clause to give wiggle room should professors desire to adjust for extreme unpreparedness/absenteeism.

landshoes wrote:That said, if I knew I were going to be cold called I would definitely adjust my behavior to impress the prof, if I could do it without screwing anything else up too badly. It seems like impressing profs is generally a good idea for future reasons.

More 2L/3L anecdata: Professors are significantly more impressed with a top grade than class participation. But if you can do both, why not "wear a belt and suspenders" as my Civ Pro professor is fond of saying! :D

User avatar
landshoes
is that cool?
Posts: 1251
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:17 pm

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby landshoes » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:48 pm

Yeah, I feel like this may be a school culture thing. My profs have all specifically said that they will adjust grades up for outstanding participation, one of my profs is on the clerkship committee, etc.

And we have definitely had a prof call out a student for always asking dumb questions...so there's the humiliation factor, which I won't pretend doesn't matter to me.

User avatar
Minnietron
Posts: 751
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:28 am

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby Minnietron » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:55 pm

All valid factors when deciding your attention to detail for cases! I'm taking the recommendation/learn your prof. through office hours route since I will never get it through class participation.

User avatar
landshoes
is that cool?
Posts: 1251
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:17 pm

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby landshoes » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:57 pm

that's a good point. I kinda have no idea when and where my professors' office hours are and I don't really care to learn so I probably put more weight on class time :D

FloridaCoastalorbust
Posts: 1343
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:43 pm

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:30 pm

All of my profs adjust up or down for participation. One has a generous policy of upping your grade by an entire half letter if you participate a shitload, but won't reduce it if you don't participate. I've heard that these policies are just a stick to make sure you don't slack on readings, and they are rarely used to lower grades. In general my profs don't use cold calls to humiliate, which is nice.

User avatar
Gray
Posts: 6897
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:02 pm

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby Gray » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:28 pm

Minnietron (pretty sure it was you) did a damn good job in Civ Pro today.

He asked me one question right as I started to zone out and I got it wrong and then class was over.




Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest