2Little 2Late

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

How successful have you been at forcing yourself to care about grades?

lol
2
5%
... I mean I still need to graduate... I guess...
10
26%
I want to maintain some semblance of dignity
17
45%
I am a clerkship gunner and/or incorrigible perfectionist
9
24%
 
Total votes: 38

User avatar
landshoes
is that cool?
Posts: 1089
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:17 pm

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby landshoes » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:26 pm

KMart wrote:
Wahrheit wrote:I was just confused why you typed out everything about the panel we both went to. :P

Reading through it again, it may have been directed towards whomever complained uChi holds these panels. It was quoted really weird and seems targeted, especially because it reads as needlessly passive aggressive, but I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt. Maybe it's just because of kapnick haha.


thanks, man. Just hard sometimes to get the tone right in writing and I appreciate the benefit of the doubt.

~KAPNICK WORKED~

03282016
Posts: 4984
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:52 am

[s][/s]

Postby 03282016 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:29 pm

Last edited by 03282016 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
landshoes
is that cool?
Posts: 1089
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:17 pm

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby landshoes » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:29 pm

WOOOOOO

it would be more fun if we had our money though

03282016
Posts: 4984
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:52 am

[s][/s]

Postby 03282016 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:30 pm

Last edited by 03282016 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

03282016
Posts: 4984
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:52 am

[s][/s]

Postby 03282016 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:32 pm

Last edited by 03282016 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
landshoes
is that cool?
Posts: 1089
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:17 pm

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby landshoes » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:33 pm

I also probably sounded annoyed when I wrote that because I was super annoyed at the moderator. (Who told us about how transcendental meditation gives you 4-5 extra hours of sleep a night! Thanks for that.)

Like, our alums are super valuable to us as students, and I was embarrassed on our behalf and annoyed on their behalf.

User avatar
landshoes
is that cool?
Posts: 1089
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:17 pm

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby landshoes » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:39 pm

Wahrheit wrote:
landshoes wrote:WOOOOOO

it would be more fun if we had our money though

You're telling me, I have to go buy a fucking suit tonight


That sucks. For our entering student cocktails/dinner? I'm kinda bummed that it's the same night as our first bar review.

User avatar
KMart
Posts: 3628
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby KMart » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:51 pm

landshoes wrote:I also probably sounded annoyed when I wrote that because I was super annoyed at the moderator. (Who told us about how transcendental meditation gives you 4-5 extra hours of sleep a night! Thanks for that.)

Like, our alums are super valuable to us as students, and I was embarrassed on our behalf and annoyed on their behalf.

Our moderator seemed to think that our wonderful alums were 6 years old :lol:. "Please raise your hand", "please agree/disagree". Just let them speak!!

User avatar
landshoes
is that cool?
Posts: 1089
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:17 pm

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby landshoes » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:21 pm

KMart wrote:
landshoes wrote:I also probably sounded annoyed when I wrote that because I was super annoyed at the moderator. (Who told us about how transcendental meditation gives you 4-5 extra hours of sleep a night! Thanks for that.)

Like, our alums are super valuable to us as students, and I was embarrassed on our behalf and annoyed on their behalf.

Our moderator seemed to think that our wonderful alums were 6 years old :lol:. "Please raise your hand", "please agree/disagree". Just let them speak!!


That's a great way of putting it. And when one of them would be actually speaking she would do stuff like walk behind them...it was really bad.

It did make me realize how good and well-run the other panels were, though. So far all of our speakers have been great.

For the retreat, I heard that some of the sections had a shitty ropes course instructor but luckily ours was good (and so was our improv guy). Pretty happy with orientation overall.

User avatar
KMart
Posts: 3628
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby KMart » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:26 pm

landshoes wrote:For the retreat, I heard that some of the sections had a shitty ropes course instructor but luckily ours was good (and so was our improv guy). Pretty happy with orientation overall.

I'm not sure if our ropes course instructor was shitty, but we certainly annoyed him. Having a common enemy is really a way to unite a group, though. So in the end it works out lol.

User avatar
Nebby
Posts: 21980
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby Nebby » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:32 pm

UChi sounds lame

User avatar
Mack.Hambleton
Posts: 5417
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 am

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:03 pm

Nebby wrote:UChi sounds lame


It is

User avatar
Companion Cube
Posts: 810
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:21 pm

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby Companion Cube » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:07 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:
Nebby wrote:UChi sounds lame


It is


Professors and resources: 10/10

Social skills of peers: 0/10
Last edited by Companion Cube on Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

03282016
Posts: 4984
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:52 am

[s][/s]

Postby 03282016 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:08 pm

Last edited by 03282016 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

03282016
Posts: 4984
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:52 am

[s][/s]

Postby 03282016 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:09 pm

Last edited by 03282016 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
landshoes
is that cool?
Posts: 1089
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:17 pm

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby landshoes » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:12 pm

KMart wrote:
landshoes wrote:For the retreat, I heard that some of the sections had a shitty ropes course instructor but luckily ours was good (and so was our improv guy). Pretty happy with orientation overall.

I'm not sure if our ropes course instructor was shitty, but we certainly annoyed him. Having a common enemy is really a way to unite a group, though. So in the end it works out lol.


We had a mutual annoyance situation going on with our instructor, but overall he did a good job. We definitely bonded over it being difficult and frustrating, though.

Everyone in our class actually seems pretty socially apt. There are a few awkward people but they're friendly-awkward, so who cares?

User avatar
KMart
Posts: 3628
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby KMart » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:13 pm

Wahrheit wrote:
KMart wrote:
landshoes wrote:For the retreat, I heard that some of the sections had a shitty ropes course instructor but luckily ours was good (and so was our improv guy). Pretty happy with orientation overall.

I'm not sure if our ropes course instructor was shitty, but we certainly annoyed him. Having a common enemy is really a way to unite a group, though. So in the end it works out lol.

KMart didn't you do your ropes course inside?

Yes we did. Some people got rained out and we didn't even attempt to go outside, but I think the activities were similar.

User avatar
landshoes
is that cool?
Posts: 1089
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:17 pm

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby landshoes » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:18 pm

Like, don't get me wrong, there are people who rub me the wrong way. But they're not social fuckups, it's just inevitable that a few people will do/say things that annoy you when you're stuck with 200 of them for days on end in a stressful situation. And the few people who have rubbed me the wrong way seem overall like friendly decent people.

User avatar
Kinky John
Posts: 1106
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:52 am

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby Kinky John » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:00 pm

I would say get a room but don't you nerds already have your own thread

03282016
Posts: 4984
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:52 am

[s][/s]

Postby 03282016 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:17 pm

Last edited by 03282016 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rnoodles
Posts: 7319
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:52 pm

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby rnoodles » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:20 pm

So... anybody got any good tips on how to cut a memo down by a full page?

User avatar
unsweetened
Posts: 606
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:12 pm

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby unsweetened » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:45 pm

rnoodles22 wrote:So... anybody got any good tips on how to cut a memo down by a full page?

reduce the font size by 0.5 and widen the margins a tiny bit?

User avatar
Companion Cube
Posts: 810
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:21 pm

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby Companion Cube » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:53 pm

unsweetened wrote:
rnoodles22 wrote:So... anybody got any good tips on how to cut a memo down by a full page?

reduce the font size by 0.5 and widen the margins a tiny bit?


They likely have formatting guidelines they have to adhere to. You have excess words/arguments. Get rid of them. You may not see them at first but they're there. I promise. It's difficult now but doing this kind of thing will get easier. Just read the sentence and ask yourself, is this absolutely necessary? Could this be more concise?

User avatar
rnoodles
Posts: 7319
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:52 pm

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby rnoodles » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:58 pm

Companion Cube wrote:
unsweetened wrote:
rnoodles22 wrote:So... anybody got any good tips on how to cut a memo down by a full page?

reduce the font size by 0.5 and widen the margins a tiny bit?


They likely have formatting guidelines they have to adhere to. You have excess words/arguments. Get rid of them. You may not see them at first but they're there. I promise. It's difficult now but doing this kind of thing will get easier. Just read the sentence and ask yourself, is this absolutely necessary? Could this be more concise?


Yes, I have formatting guidelines. If I didn't it'd be a lot easier! haha

That's great advice. Followed it, and cut it by about half a page. But I'm reaching the point where I'm wondering if what I'm cutting out is crucial to it making sense or not.

User avatar
Companion Cube
Posts: 810
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:21 pm

Re: You Can't Spell Lunatic Without 1L

Postby Companion Cube » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:08 pm

rnoodles22 wrote:
Companion Cube wrote:
unsweetened wrote:
rnoodles22 wrote:So... anybody got any good tips on how to cut a memo down by a full page?

reduce the font size by 0.5 and widen the margins a tiny bit?


They likely have formatting guidelines they have to adhere to. You have excess words/arguments. Get rid of them. You may not see them at first but they're there. I promise. It's difficult now but doing this kind of thing will get easier. Just read the sentence and ask yourself, is this absolutely necessary? Could this be more concise?


Yes, I have formatting guidelines. If I didn't it'd be a lot easier! haha

That's great advice. Followed it, and cut it by about half a page. But I'm reaching the point where I'm wondering if what I'm cutting out is crucial to it making sense or not.


This is the best advice I got from my LRW professor in regards to the memo, and it will help you figure out whether everything you need is there.

1) finish with enough time to do 6 rounds of editing. Yes, 6. 1 for general structure, 1 for paragraph format, 1 for sentence format, 1 for grammar and punctuation, 1 just for citations, and 1 final one for polishing.

2) take one day off from working on the memo 2 days before it's due. Why? Because looking at the same thing over and over will cause you to develope a blind spot to your own memo. For example, if your paper is due Monday, don't look at it on Saturday. At all. Then do your final touches on Sunday. You'll be very surprised what you've been missing.

I kind of glossed over these, so if anyone has any questions feel free to PM me.
Last edited by Companion Cube on Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest