2Little 2Late

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

How successful have you been at forcing yourself to care about grades?

lol
5%
... I mean I still need to graduate... I guess...
26%
I want to maintain some semblance of dignity
45%
I am a clerkship gunner and/or incorrigible perfectionist
24%

Total votes: 38

Shema

Re: What the 1L am I doing?

Postby Shema » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:40 pm

Brut wrote:1) did bell appeal the twombly decision from the 2nd circuit or the 2nd circuit en banc?

(10 points)

https://youtu.be/t6FVxrzfzcY

anon180

Postby anon180 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:22 pm

Gray wrote:............................ is my takeaway two weeks in.

Not saying I disagree, but that is one of those lines that a very specific prof I recall used to be set off by if he heard a 1L say. :wink:

RCSOB657

Postby RCSOB657 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:52 pm

anon180 wrote:
Gray wrote:............................ is my takeaway two weeks in.

Not saying I disagree, but that is one of those lines that a very specific prof I recall used to be set off by if he heard a 1L say. :wink:

Funny story, my Property professor yelled at me first day of class when I said whether or not to frame the issue. So yesterday, a full 25% done with classes I offered a unilateral contract of 5 bucks for the person that gets called for the day to say whether or not. He did, she didn't say anything, and then he basically was proven to not even have read the case.

Leonardo DiCaprio

Postby Leonardo DiCaprio » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:04 pm

really concerned about my in class performances. i just completely blank out and look like a tard. i know it doesn't factor into grades, but it's still damaging to my self esteem. feels bad man.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:14 pm

Leonardo DiCaprio wrote:really concerned about my in class performances. i just completely blank out and look like a tard. i know it doesn't factor into grades, but it's still damaging to my self esteem. feels bad man.

Don't. I was awful at cold calls but people didn't think I was stupid or anything.

Kinky John

Postby Kinky John » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:18 pm

Leonardo DiCaprio wrote:really concerned about my in class performances. i just completely blank out and look like a tard. i know it doesn't factor into grades, but it's still damaging to my self esteem. feels bad man.

Are you K-JD by any chance? Not being sarcastic

Minnietron

Postby Minnietron » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:38 am

Shema wrote:
Brut wrote:1) did bell appeal the twombly decision from the 2nd circuit or the 2nd circuit en banc?

(10 points)

What's your cut of the profits? :lol:

Shema

Postby Shema » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:40 am

Minnietron wrote:
Shema wrote:

(10 points)

What's your cut of the profits? :lol:

That's a good idea! You are already thinking like an attorney. I think the videos are okay but do you think these videos will actually make real money???

buckiguy_sucks

Post removed.

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:05 am

Post removed.
Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gray

Postby Gray » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:16 am

buckiguy_sucks wrote:Non 1Ls ITT:
I'm finding I have little problem with remembering rules but am basically not at all remembering which case they are from when the professor asks in class discussion. Is this something I will need to memorize for exams anyway so should just start? Obviously big cases international shoe etc are no problem but the smaller points I pretty much never remember the case

#bottomthird

jk this is a good question. I think I read someone saying that you'll basically never need to cite cases in exams but IDK 2L opinion please

WokeUpInACar

Postby WokeUpInACar » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:41 am

I'm finding I have little problem with remembering rules but am basically not at all remembering which case they are from when the professor asks in class discussion. Is this something I will need to memorize for exams anyway so should just start? Obviously big cases international shoe etc are no problem but the smaller points I pretty much never remember the case

You're fine. 95% of professors don't give a shit about citing case names on exams. Do confirm that your prof isn't one of the 5% though.

PourMeTea

Postby PourMeTea » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:24 pm

Some professors pretend you don't need to cite cases but then their grading sheets will give a point for citing it on the exam. IMO it doesn't hurt to mention cases in case it nets you points, or at the very least you'll be able to clearly say "these set of facts are similar to X case because Y" which is what many look for on exams.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:06 pm

Wrt "this set of facts is similar to case X," I agree it can be useful to know this, but most of my profs were totally cool with "the case where the guy tried to hold Pepsi to its offer of a Harrier jet" rather than the exact case name. Again, though, check what your prof wants.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:50 pm

Couldn't you just add a mini index type thing to your outline like:

Hansen v Denckla - Evil sisters
Griffin v Northridge - Evil neighbors
Parker v 20th Century - Greedy prima-donna

Companion Cube

Postby Companion Cube » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:56 pm

Kinky John wrote:

Are you K-JD by any chance? Not being sarcastic

Please, enlighten us as to how you think that would make a difference.

Companion Cube

Postby Companion Cube » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:00 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:

You're fine. 95% of professors don't give a shit about citing case names on exams. Do confirm that your prof isn't one of the 5% though.

For my 1L the reverse was true. Only 1 professor explicitly said that they didn't give points for citing cases. For all others it was absolutely required to make a good grade. Btw I'm sure this is understood here, but you don't get (many) points for saying rule X, from case Y. You get points for reasoning by analogy: this set of facts is [like/different from] that case because XYZ. Therefore the court should rule ____

buckiguy_sucks

Post removed.

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:10 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

buckiguy_sucks

Post removed.

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:11 pm

Post removed.

Minnietron

Postby Minnietron » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:13 pm

Favorite dismissal of off-topic hypotheticals courtesy of my Ks professor: "That's awesome! Take it up with your Torts professor..."

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:14 pm

Biggest thing for me is making sure I'm actually understanding what I'm reading. It usually takes me until around 7pm to finish the next day's reading, but then I have to look at my reading notes and actually comprehend what I just read, which takes a lot of time. It then takes additional time to see how all the concepts fit together. Before starting I assumed that learning the BLL is easy and can be done quickly. I also fear I'm overcomplicating shit.

Gray

Postby Gray » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:34 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:Looks like the lesson here is depends on the professor which seems to the be the lesson with every question haha

The answer to every general question in law school is "it depends"

Leonardo DiCaprio

Postby Leonardo DiCaprio » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:48 pm

law school is unrigorous as fuck.

rnoodles

Postby rnoodles » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:48 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:Couldn't you just add a mini index type thing to your outline like:

I think the only useful thing I've gotten out of civpro so far, if it's correct, is that it's "prima-donna" not "pre-madonna." This both worries me and pleases me that I now know the correct version of term but nothing else.

IsThisForReal

Postby IsThisForReal » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:49 pm

rnoodles22 wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:Couldn't you just add a mini index type thing to your outline like:

I think the only useful thing I've gotten out of civpro so far, if it's correct, is that it's "prima-donna" not "pre-madonna." This both worries me and pleases me that I now know the correct version of term but nothing else.

Yeah, its like prima ballerina.

Leonardo DiCaprio

Postby Leonardo DiCaprio » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:06 pm

my plan is to pick 1 club and get super involved with it as opposed to doing a ton. i hope this does not backfire on me.

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”