. Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
LoganCouture

Gold

Re: 2Little 2Late

Post by LoganCouture » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:35 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:If more of you and your classmates could include standardized test scores on your LinkedIn profiles, that would be great.
(at least) one of my classmates actually does have his LSAT percentile on his linkedin :roll:

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:44 pm

LoganCouture wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:If more of you and your classmates could include standardized test scores on your LinkedIn profiles, that would be great.
(at least) one of my classmates actually does have his LSAT percentile on his linkedin :roll:
There should be equivalents of the NMSQT for every standardized test. You should also get a cash award for scoring at the top percentile or higher in all of them (at least PSAT, SAT, ACT, GRE, GMAT, LSAT, and MCAT).

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:24 pm

LoganCouture wrote:
I've spotted several, and listing not just the percentile, but also the actual score

and as to the earlier question, yes, I see classmates liking posts by law firms that no one in their right mind would give two fucks about, but the ones who list these firms as their current employer with "incoming associate" as their job title really take the crown and then some.

Minnietron

Silver

Post by Minnietron » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:18 pm

Hand wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:Can we get a poll asking if our GPA went up or down?
I second this request

I'm still waiting on one grade tho so can't answer yet
Add me to the still waiting camp...when it comes, I would love to vote.
Honestly, though, I would love to vote even if the poll was "favorite shade of green paint."
Gray wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:does anybody else have classmates on linkedin not-so-subtly liking posts by their summer firm because it's too early to actually put their summer firm under "experience"
I have not at all subtle classmates who have "incoming summer associate" on LinkedIn
This is amazing! I must not be "linked" with enough classmates, know how to use Linkedin, or--most likely--a combination of the two because I haven't seen such glory.
Last edited by Minnietron on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:38 pm

Minnietron wrote:
Hand wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:Can we get a poll asking if our GPA went up or down?
I second this request

I'm still waiting on one grade tho so can't answer yet
Add me to the still waiting camp...when it comes, I would love to vote.
Honestly, though, I would love to vote even if the poll was "favorite shade of green paint."
Gray wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:does anybody else have classmates on linkedin not-so-subtly liking posts by their summer firm because it's too early to actually put their summer firm under "experience"
I have not at all subtle classmates who have "incoming summer associate" on LinkedIn
This is amazing! I must not be "linked" with enough classmates, know how to use Linkedin, or--most likely--a combination of the two because I haven't seen such glory.
That's aspie as fuck

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Porkypots

Bronze

Post by Porkypots » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:23 pm

Median Pwned T_T

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:04 am

I've said this before, but I'd always prefer to have more information, so I don't get the big deal about people posting their summer plans to LinkedIn. I follow TLS protocol on this, but I think it's a dumb rule.

LoganCouture

Gold

Post by LoganCouture » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:10 am

Hikikomorist wrote:I've said this before, but I'd always prefer to have more information, so I don't get the big deal about people posting their summer plans to LinkedIn. I follow TLS protocol on this, but I think it's a dumb rule.
IMO it's weird in general to put jobs you haven't yet started on your resume/linkedin.

The extra weird part is when you're clearly doing it to signal that you are going to a preftigious BIG LAW internship

If someone put incoming YALE LAW student under education it would be similarly weird

Eta: I think all the useful information is put out by career services / on LST in the aggregate so I don't really care if John Doe is going to V5. If it's a friend I obviously want to know their plans but they'll share it with me personally instead of putting it on blast.

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:24 am

LinkedIn specifically dissallows users to list things in a way so they can't use future dates when posting information. Being proud is fine, what's aspie is that users have to make the conscious choice of saying "I'm going to be X from today until a date in the future where I will actually be the thing I'm trying to be now."

If you're proud, a simple line in achievements saying "awarded a 2017 summer internship at zyc," is perfectly fine. Putting that as a job is the not okay thing.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:27 am

As an aside, how should I indicate a book award on LinkedIn or resume? It's the first one I've received.
Last edited by RCSOB657 on Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:30 am

LoganCouture wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:I've said this before, but I'd always prefer to have more information, so I don't get the big deal about people posting their summer plans to LinkedIn. I follow TLS protocol on this, but I think it's a dumb rule.
IMO it's weird in general to put jobs you haven't yet started on your resume/linkedin.

The extra weird part is when you're clearly doing it to signal that you are going to a preftigious BIG LAW internship

If someone put incoming YALE LAW student under education it would be similarly weird

Eta: I think all the useful information is put out by career services / on LST in the aggregate so I don't really care if John Doe is going to V5. If it's a friend I obviously want to know their plans but they'll share it with me personally instead of putting it on blast.
Having information attached to names and personalities gives an idea of how soft factors impact employment prospects. You're still getting additional information, and the only objection is still that it's weird (much like legal hiring in general) and a social faux pas. So still a dumb rule.

IsThisForReal

Gold

Post by IsThisForReal » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:53 am

It's like posting a job interview, so not a dumb rule
Last edited by IsThisForReal on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

BasilHallward

Silver

Post by BasilHallward » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:54 am

Only 1/4 grades in thus far. I NEED closure, even if it's a door being slammed in my face...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:13 am

IsThisForReal wrote:It's like posting a job interview, so not a dumb rule
Not with the offer rates that most large firms have.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:23 am

Porkypots wrote:Median Pwned T_T
feeling that feel

LoganCouture

Gold

Post by LoganCouture » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:22 pm

Edit: double post :oops:
Last edited by LoganCouture on Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LoganCouture

Gold

Post by LoganCouture » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:22 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
LoganCouture wrote:

Having information attached to names and personalities gives an idea of how soft factors impact employment prospects. You're still getting additional information, and the only objection is still that it's weird (much like legal hiring in general) and a social faux pas. So still a dumb rule.
Is it really that mysterious as to how softs affect employment? I also don't know my classmates grades (or even most of my friends' grades) so for all I know John Doe's great 1L grades got him that job.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:33 pm

Great poll.

Grades were due last Friday. Prof with 50 students hasn't posted grades.

I'm having heart palpitations here.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:47 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
My rule has always been: if it doesn't belong on a resume, it doesn't belong on Linkedin. More information is good, but not following simple social conventions is not good.

That being said, I don't ever open linkedin so whatever.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:09 pm

dabigchina wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
My rule has always been: if it doesn't belong on a resume, it doesn't belong on Linkedin. More information is good, but not following simple social conventions is not good.

That being said, I don't ever open linkedin so whatever.
More information should be more good than not following social conventions is not good, but whatever, it's a horrible world.

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:55 pm

Hikikomorist wrote: More information should be more good than not following social conventions is not good
As for this sentence

I like it

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

IsThisForReal

Gold

Post by IsThisForReal » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:59 pm

I really don't care where anyone else is going
Last edited by IsThisForReal on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kinky John

Silver

Post by Kinky John » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:25 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:More information should be more good than not following social conventions is not good, but whatever, it's a horrible world.
ok then, PW or GTFO
Last edited by Kinky John on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:20 pm

IsThisForReal wrote:I really don't care where anyone else is going
Networking down the road tho

IsThisForReal

Gold

Post by IsThisForReal » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:50 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
IsThisForReal wrote:I really don't care where anyone else is going
Networking down the road tho
Yeah, but I either already care about those people or I don't

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”