. Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
BasilHallward

Silver

Re: Don't ask, don't 2L

Post by BasilHallward » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:18 pm

I'll take my 2.34 X NYC buying power and hang in Dallas. NYC objectively sucks. Anyone who claims otherwise is glutton for sadness. Lawl

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:50 pm

BasilHallward wrote:I'll take my 2.34 X NYC buying power and hang in Dallas. NYC objectively sucks. Anyone who claims otherwise is glutton for sadness. Lawl
Congrats on getting something in Dallas!

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Post by Dr. Nefario » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:53 pm

Minnietron wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:
Minnietron wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:
Minnietron wrote:
Gray wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:Poll for what city everybody is going to next summer? NYC, LA, SF/Palo Alto, and "other" for the cities that don't matter.
Lol egregious anti-DC trolling
Chicago, Miami, Atlanta, Research Triangle, Seattle, Philadelphia...If not mattering means lower COL with comparable amenities, mark me down for other!
They're low CoL because they don't matter. Cities are like clothes. You know your designer bag is better because it costs more. This is how the world works.
DC COL > LA COL. So that means it is better and your original list is incorrect?
fuck your don't fact check me
So I shouldn't point out designer bags are generally considered accessories rather than clothes...?

Edit: bad at quoting...
Dat Boston COL doe. Easily should be on there.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:26 pm

Making 200k and having to have roommates is definitely objectively terrible, but calling NYC shitty is just a bad opinion. The limited time I spent there was a good time though fuck working there for sure

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:27 pm

Plus I'm a pretty big fan of trees so staying in a city that has those is definitely the move

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:09 pm

BasilHallward wrote:I'll take my 2.34 X NYC buying power and hang in Dallas. NYC objectively sucks. Anyone who claims otherwise is glutton for sadness. Lawl
This isn't a city thread, but people need to stop saying this. You have 2.34x NYC buying power if you spend everything on rent and groceries. Yes, you pay about 9% more of your total income in tax in NYC than you would in Texas, and yes, you will spend an extra 30k each year for a smaller apartment (if you don't want roommates and want to minimize commute). Other than that, you can get a big ass plate of Halal guys for $7, do Costco runs with your friends on long island, and save money in tons of other ways.

Your biglaw money will undoubtedly go further in any other market (especially Texas), but it's not 2.34x. Student loans cost the same, Amazon charges the same, and you should be saving most of your money that's not going to loans anyway.

And NYC is awesome. It's not everybody's cup of tea, which is totally fair, and you'd be retarded to say that any city is the "greatest city in the world," but NYC is pretty damn awesome.

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:14 pm

"Do Costco runs on Long Island"

lol
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:19 pm

It was suggested by a buddy of mine who lives on Long Island that I should get groceries with him, since he has a car. And just like buy most of my shit for the month. Idk sounded like a good idea.

IsThisForReal

Gold

Post by IsThisForReal » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:31 pm

leslieknope wrote:Not near a real1 beach=doesn't matter. Sorry not sorry, any city that isn't LA or SF.

1 East coast beaches are not real beaches and Miami is otherwise terrible.
What? Lol. No. Idk where you have been going, but it's the wrong place. East coast beaches are beautiful and the water isn't freezing
Last edited by IsThisForReal on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:48 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:
This isn't a city thread, but people need to stop saying this. You have 2.34x NYC buying power if you spend everything on rent and groceries. Yes, you pay about 9% more of your total income in tax in NYC than you would in Texas, and yes, you will spend an extra 30k each year for a smaller apartment (if you don't want roommates and want to minimize commute). Other than that, you can get a big ass plate of Halal guys for $7, do Costco runs with your friends on long island, and save money in tons of other ways.

Your biglaw money will undoubtedly go further in any other market (especially Texas), but it's not 2.34x. Student loans cost the same, Amazon charges the same, and you should be saving most of your money that's not going to loans anyway.

And NYC is awesome. It's not everybody's cup of tea, which is totally fair, and you'd be retarded to say that any city is the "greatest city in the world," but NYC is pretty damn awesome.
2.34x is a slight exaggeration, but you can save close to twice as much in Texas compared to NY.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:49 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:Making 200k and having to have roommates is definitely objectively terrible, but calling NYC shitty is just a bad opinion. The limited time I spent there was a good time though fuck working there for sure
It's shitty if you're the one financing your time there.

Kinky John

Silver

Post by Kinky John » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:21 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:"Do Costco runs on Long Island"

lol
Last edited by Kinky John on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kinky John

Silver

Post by Kinky John » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:28 pm

costco run and chill?
Last edited by Kinky John on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:46 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:
BasilHallward wrote: you can get a big ass plate of Halal guys for $7,
platters are 9. the bowls are 8.

also eating halal guys everyday objectively sucks. it's good maybe once a week. anymore than that and it's boring as shit.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:09 am

Lol I was there 2 weeks ago and paid $7, and Google says it's $7 http://midtownlunch.com/2015/01/05/famo ... ir-prices/

Not that this is relevant, I was just giving an example of ways to eat in NYC without having to drop $15/meal. Not to mention firms comp dinner after 7 or 8 or something. My point is that you don't have to spend 2x on food/month in NYC.

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:11 am

Gals, guys, why are we even arguing? Everyone knows New York sucks -- what a silly thing to fight over.

Come to Chicago. We've got beaches, an ocean that doesn't sting your eyes, and more Asian carp than you could catch in a lifetime.

Also we don't smell.

Incidentally, the Asian carp is the only fish god designed completely shit-canned; he just put the eyes whereverthefuck.

Last edited by zhenders on Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:13 am

zhenders wrote:Gals, guys, why are we even arguing? Everyone knows New York sucks -- what a silly thing to fight over.

Come to Chicago. We've got beaches, an ocean that doesn't sting your eyes, and more Asian carp than you could catch in a lifetime.

Also we don't smell.
But snow and ice. And isn't it basically a warzone? Houston and Dallas are incredibly cheap (NO STATE INCOME TAX), ice-free, and perfectly pleasant places to live.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:18 am

Yeah, fair enough -- H and D are alright spots =) the "warzones" in Chicago are actually pretty isolated; most of the city is fine. Thing about Texas, though -- and I seriously thought about going back -- Texans. Lots of Texans. You ready for that? I mean, I am one and all, but... Damn. Texans.

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:19 am

zhenders wrote:Yeah, fair enough -- H and D are alright spots =) the "warzones" in Chicago are actually pretty isolated; most of the city is fine. Thing about Texas, though -- and I seriously thought about going back -- Texans. Lots of Texans. You ready for that? I mean, I am one and all, but... Damn. Texans.
:D

Joscellin

Gold

Post by Joscellin » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:51 am

Hikikomorist wrote:
zhenders wrote:Gals, guys, why are we even arguing? Everyone knows New York sucks -- what a silly thing to fight over.

Also we don't smell.
But snow and ice. And isn't it basically a warzone? Houston and Dallas are incredibly cheap (NO STATE INCOME TAX), ice-free, and perfectly pleasant places to live.
There is nothing remotely pleasant about Houston in the summer.

IsThisForReal

Gold

Post by IsThisForReal » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:38 am

Joscellin wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:

Also we don't smell.
Tunnels
Last edited by IsThisForReal on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Minnietron

Silver

Post by Minnietron » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:51 am

edit: double post
Last edited by Minnietron on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Minnietron

Silver

Post by Minnietron » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:52 am

Minnietron wrote:
Kinky John wrote:costco run and chill?
Brilliant derivative. Costco sells beds, couches, and carpets; you can start chilling at any point in the run.
Joscellin wrote:
Mostly applies to D.C. too.
Last edited by Minnietron on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:01 am

Minnietron wrote:
Minnietron wrote:
Kinky John wrote:costco run and chill?
Brilliant derivative. Costco sells beds, couches, and carpets; you can start chilling at any point in the run.
Joscellin wrote:
Mostly applies to D.C. too.
Houston and DC seem very similar in the summer, except you pay twice as much for DC prestige.

Minnietron

Silver

Post by Minnietron » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:06 am

Hikikomorist wrote: Houston and DC seem very similar in the summer, except you pay twice as much for DC prestige.
Fact. No discernible differences aside from cost. I often forget I am not in Houston until I pay my rent.
Last edited by Minnietron on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”