. Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
cannibal ox

Gold

Re: Done-L: it was one L of a year.

Post by cannibal ox » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:17 pm

93 is a lot... for one day.

Seriously, don't stop blasting until you've got a job. You should be hitting upwards of a couple hundred, easily.

MurdockLLP

Bronze

Post by MurdockLLP » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:22 pm

cannibal ox wrote:93 is a lot... for one day.

Seriously, don't stop blasting until you've got a job. You should be hitting upwards of a couple hundred, easily.
My school told firms to not interview us before OCI.

Not sure if there are a couple of hundred firms to target right now (market paying).

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:42 pm

MurdockLLP wrote:

Not sure if there are a couple of hundred firms to target right now (market paying).
Yeah. I really want someone at Penn to tell me why they do this. I'm in Seattle this summer and have Seattle firms tell me they want to talk to me but can't and I have to wait for OCI or after it.

It means I am taking up one of that firm's oci slot from other bidders. Hurts my classmates.

It means the firm sees less people and has to pay for my flight/hotel when it could see me this summer. Hurts the firm.

It means I am more uncertain, have less screeners, and have to take 2 8 hour flights to Seattle if I do get a callback.hurts me.

Who is benefiting from this?

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:57 pm

MurdockLLP wrote:

lol @ both of these statements.

Interview whenever you want. CSO tries to get the most number of students a job, they don't try to get YOU a job. The only reason they say this is so that it's an even playing field for all the kids they have to look out for.

There are absolutely, positively, no doubt about it, several hundred offices to mass blast with your resume and cover letter. Unless somehow there were a couple hundred offices that closed between last year (when I did this) and now.

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:59 pm

cannibal ox wrote:
MurdockLLP wrote:

Interview whenever you want. CSO tries to get the most number of students a job, they don't try to get YOU a job. The only reason they say this is so that it's an even playing field for all the kids they have to look out for.

There are absolutely, positively, no doubt about it, several hundred offices to mass blast with your resume and cover letter. Unless somehow there were a couple hundred offices that closed between last year (when I did this) and now.
I have had ~5 firms tell me they want to speak to me but don't want to go against Penn's rules. They tell me to set up a screener if I don't do OCI with them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:01 pm

Well obviously if firms tell you no (or not yet) then don't go against that, but don't listen to CSO if they're telling you to wait for whatever reason.

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:02 pm

cannibal ox wrote:Well obviously if firms tell you no (or not yet) then don't go against that, but don't listen to CSO if they're telling you to wait for whatever reason.
I mean I obviously didn't wait, but those are the only positive responses I got from firms that attend OCI.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:12 pm

Auxilio wrote:
cannibal ox wrote:
MurdockLLP wrote:

I have had ~5 firms tell me they want to speak to me but don't want to go against Penn's rules. They tell me to set up a screener if I don't do OCI with them.
No mass-mail firms have wanted to speak with me. :(

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:12 pm

Good practice for if I ever start dating, probably.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

IsThisForReal

Gold

Post by IsThisForReal » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:37 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:Good practice for if I ever start dating, probably.
Please stop this
Last edited by IsThisForReal on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:42 pm

IsThisForReal wrote:
Please stop this
I've never even started.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:43 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
IsThisForReal wrote:
Please stop this
I've never even started.
someone at UT go give hikko a hug plz

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:44 pm

Hand wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
IsThisForReal wrote:
Please stop this
I've never even started.
I'd take $5 instead.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

IsThisForReal

Gold

Post by IsThisForReal » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:50 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
Hand wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
IsThisForReal wrote:
Please stop this
I've never even started.
I'd take $5 instead.
The pity party makes me really not like you. Like REALLY. I don't pity you, I don't feel bad for you. It may make other people feel bad for you, but I think I'm probably not the only one who is really tired of this shit. If you really wanna change how you are perceived, TLS can help you with that. TLS has helped a lot of people have more successful dating lives. If its friends you are after, we can probably help with that too. But the helplessness has to stop. Its pathetic.
Last edited by IsThisForReal on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:53 pm

IsThisForReal wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
Hand wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
IsThisForReal wrote:
Please stop this
I've never even started.
I'd take $5 instead.
The pity party makes me really not like you. Like REALLY. I don't pity you, I don't feel bad for you. It may make other people feel bad for you, but I think I'm probably not the only one who is really tired of this shit. If you really wanna change how you are perceived, TLS can help you with that. TLS has helped a lot of people have more successful dating lives. If its friends you are after, we can probably help with that too. But the helplessness has to stop. Its pathetic.
I thought trying to convert hugs to cash was a pretty go-getter move.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:55 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
IsThisForReal wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
Hand wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
IsThisForReal wrote:
Please stop this
I've never even started.
I'd take $5 instead.
I appreciated it. I would've venmo'd you $5 but I don't have your phone number, don't know how venmo works, and actually need those $5 myself. So instead I sent you a linkedin invite.

IsThisForReal

Gold

Post by IsThisForReal » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:58 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
IsThisForReal wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
Hand wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
IsThisForReal wrote:
Please stop this
I've never even started.
I'd take $5 instead.
You're still hiding behind a keyboard if people venmo you cash. If you take the hugs you're forced to interact with real live humans and you might make some friends

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:59 pm

IsThisForReal wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
IsThisForReal wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
Hand wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
IsThisForReal wrote: Please stop this
I've never even started.
I'd take $5 instead.
You're still hiding behind a keyboard if people venmo you cash. If you take the hugs you're forced to interact with real live humans and you might make some friends
Oh, I'd definitely accept cash in person.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:00 pm

Hand wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
IsThisForReal wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
Hand wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
IsThisForReal wrote: Please stop this
I've never even started.
I'd take $5 instead.
I appreciated it. I would've venmo'd you $5 but I don't have your phone number, don't know how venmo works, and actually need those $5 myself. So instead I sent you a linkedin invite.
I'll accept in about a year.

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:28 pm

Hand wrote: I appreciated it. I would've venmo'd you $5 but I don't have your phone number, don't know how venmo works, and actually need those $5 myself. So instead I sent you a linkedin invite.
Does anyone actually know Hikko?
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:32 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:
Hand wrote: I appreciated it. I would've venmo'd you $5 but I don't have your phone number, don't know how venmo works, and actually need those $5 myself. So instead I sent you a linkedin invite.
I've met plenty of TLSers.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:41 pm

MurdockLLP

Bronze

Post by MurdockLLP » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:08 am

cannibal ox wrote:
MurdockLLP wrote:

I would love to interview now before OCI, thats why I massed mailed. But the school has effectively blocked my ability to go into firms prior to OCI.

And I know there are plenty of offices to mass mail in my market, but right now I'm only targeting those firms that pay 160-180K.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:03 am

DCfilterDC wrote:
I mean I know his name and checked out his parents' place on street view but I wouldn't say I know him

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:18 am

MurdockLLP wrote:
cannibal ox wrote:
MurdockLLP wrote:

I would love to interview now before OCI, thats why I massed mailed. But the school has effectively blocked my ability to go into firms prior to OCI.

And I know there are plenty of offices to mass mail in my market, but right now I'm only targeting those firms that pay 160-180K.
I'm assuming you're mass mailing firms that are not coming to OCI (if you're mass mailing firms that will be at OCI later this summer, ignore the rest of this post.. but also.. why are you mass mailing OCI firms and not firms you wouldn't be in front of without mass mail?). How exactly is your school "blocking" you from interviewing with firms? Are they going to stop you from participating in OCI if you take a callback before OCI begins? How would they even know? Genuinely curious about how a school is blocking students from potentially securing a job.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”