. Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
Hikikomorist

Platinum

Re: Not the Sharpest 2L in the Shed

Post by Hikikomorist » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:21 pm

It's always strange to see how happy people are announcing which law school they'll attend.

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Post by Dr. Nefario » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:08 pm

unsweetened wrote:
Dr. Nefario wrote:11 days until finals. Does anyone know what gross income is? Or what a deduction is? Or what Revlon means? Or how to file a Title 7 suit? Or why we do this to ourselves?
tacos.
bruh you got the hook up on tacos? Do they deliver to the school?

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Post by Dr. Nefario » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:09 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:It's always strange to see how happy people are announcing which law school they'll attend.
FWIW I almost made a selection video like a high school football player. We thought it'd be hilarious.

IsThisForReal

Gold

Post by IsThisForReal » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:51 pm

I think my school is gonna kick me out of my house at some point over the summer. Apparently we are in the way of their community development project
Last edited by IsThisForReal on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

LoganCouture

Gold

Post by LoganCouture » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:13 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:It's always strange to see how happy people are announcing which law school they'll attend.
I was really happy to announce my undergrad but then I got there and learned that was considered gauche

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Big Red

Gold

Post by Big Red » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:21 pm

Dr. Nefario wrote:
FWIW I almost made a selection video like a high school football player. We thought it'd be hilarious.
It's an important social signal, people don't realize getting into law school is the easiest part

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:19 pm

IsThisForReal wrote:I think my school is gonna kick me out of my house at some point over the summer. Apparently we are in the way of their community development project
do you lease through the school or is this some kind of eminent domain situation

IsThisForReal

Gold

Post by IsThisForReal » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:25 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
IsThisForReal wrote:I think my school is gonna kick me out of my house at some point over the summer. Apparently, we are in the way of their community development project
do you lease through the school or is this some kind of eminent domain situation
More like landlord doesn't give a shit about the understanding when I moved in was that I'd be here till I graduated and he's more than happy to sell
Last edited by IsThisForReal on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:33 pm

Gentrification Community Development. I love the euphemisms people come up with to pretend they aren't being shitty.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:35 pm

zhenders wrote:Gentrification Community Development. I love the euphemisms people come up with to pretend they aren't being shitty.
I'm pretty happy with it without the need to hide behind a euphemism.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:36 pm

Community development projects usually involve some mix of low income housing, regular housing, and businesses started by community members.

Now that doesn't mean the low income housing always goes to people from the community or even low income people but hey it's the system in place. Theres pretty strong evidence iirc that poor children from mixed income neighborhoods fare significantly better than poor children in poor neighborhoods so.

E: sucks that ITFR is getting kicked out but I'm pretty pro community development so. CDCs bring a lot of positive change to neighborhoods

IsThisForReal

Gold

Post by IsThisForReal » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:42 pm

It's some kind of innovation hub, not housing. And the long-term goal is to encourage students to live pretty much exactly where I am living right now. And the President knows I live here because we talked about it

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:54 pm

Yeah I suppose university sponsored development is less community development in the traditional sense and is more of on the shitty for current residents end of the spectrum than the doing public good end of the spectrum

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:00 am

Cool. Y'all all sure reacted fast and in unison on that one lol -- are you all developers or something? I'm from Chicago, so with just a few exceptions, "community development" pretty much means, flash-develop an area until the property values go up enough on paper to starve poor folks out with double or triple property taxes; rinse and repeat somewhere else.

Most of the projects around here are mixed income, too -- but I mean if the property taxes in an area double or triple, then owners might benefit, but rents at all of the non-rent-controlled places end up going up as landlords raise rents to cover the increased property costs.

Sorry to ruffle feathers... Just not much of a fan of most large-scale community development programs (unless they're of the kind bucks is talking about -- in which case wicked cool, keep on keepin' on.)

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:01 am

I just think people with money make places nicer. Admittedly, I'm too poor to benefit much from it, but I like the concept.

IsThisForReal

Gold

Post by IsThisForReal » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:08 am

There are 4 apartment complexes currently being built. A 1bd is like $1300, 5bd is $850 /person. Certainly none of it is helping me cus I can't afford those places and they wouldn't work for me anyway. So now I have to move decently far out, which means driving to campus, which also means I have to buy a parking pass and show up by 8am even when my classes dont start till 1pm just so I can get a spot.

E: There were no apt complexes before. At least on this side of campus. I'm sure its that same story on the other side.

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:12 am

IsThisForReal wrote:There are 4 apartment complexes currently being built. A 1bd is like $1300, 5bd is $850 /person. Certainly none of it is helping me cus I can't afford those places and they wouldn't work for me anyway. So now I have to move decently far out, which means driving to campus, which also means I have to buy a parking pass and show up by 8am even when my classes dont start till 1pm just so I can get a spot.

E: There were no apt complexes before. At least on this side of campus. I'm sure its that same story on the other side.

Ah, got it. Yep, this is the shitty version. Sorry friend :(

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Minnietron

Silver

Post by Minnietron » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:24 am

Sorry, ITFR. That is a junk move. I'm guessing you don't have a 3-year lease?

P.S. $1,300 for a new 1br sounds like a dream come true...
Last edited by Minnietron on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IsThisForReal

Gold

Post by IsThisForReal » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:29 am

Minnietron wrote:Sorry, ITFR. That is a junk move. I'm guessing you don't have a 3-year lease?

No, it was one year and then month-to-month.

Except the COL here is so low that my loans don't reflect 1300/month rent

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Post by Dr. Nefario » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:10 am

IsThisForReal wrote:
Minnietron wrote:Sorry, ITFR. That is a junk move. I'm guessing you don't have a 3-year lease?

No, it was one year and then month-to-month.

Except the COL here is so low that my loans don't reflect 1300/month rent
Gah I miss dat Texas COL. I hope you get it sorted out before the school forces you out cause thats garbage.

unsweetened

Silver

Post by unsweetened » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:39 pm

I have a one bedroom apartment one block away from the law school and downtown. The apartment also has hardwood floors and designated parking. It's $570/mo. Going to school that isn't in a major city has some benefit.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Post by Dr. Nefario » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:03 pm

Posted this elsewhere but figured I'd ask here

Has anyone taken an Employment course using the Glynn, Sullivan, and Arnow-Richman book? I'm looking for an outline cause my prof hasn't taught it in years.

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:55 pm

PR exam, four full days to study--never read. Issue spotter exam, any tips or prayers for this?
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:00 pm

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:15 pm

unsweetened wrote:I have a one bedroom apartment one block away from the law school and downtown. The apartment also has hardwood floors and designated parking. It's $570/mo. Going to school that isn't in a major city has some benefit.
jfc

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”