. Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
Minnietron

Silver

Re: LES MISERA3LES: ONE YEAR MORE

Post by Minnietron » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:12 pm

Fear Robots. The recession comes. Firms keep us. We think we're safe. We buy (continue buying) stupid stuff. PPP goes down. Investment in AI goes up. We get axed. Plus side is we have stupid stuff!
Last edited by Minnietron on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Post by Dr. Nefario » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:38 pm

Minnietron wrote:
Hand wrote:
Gray wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
Gray wrote:
Dr. Nefario wrote: ETA: Prolly spent more time on coin research than on classes this semester, so that's how 3LOL is going for me.
omg my husband has gone so overboard with the bitcoin research. I know more about bitcoin now than I ever wanted to.
What should I buy/short?
No fucking idea
in typical academic fashion mr. gray did not do research that translates into actionable bits of information I assume
I took "no [f'ing] idea" as the actionable information--i.e., invest carefully.
It's basically gambling. One morning you wake up and are several hundred dollars richer the next you suddenly lost more than you you gained. Some people are brilliant at it, I've only invested in one project I really believe in.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:38 pm

Minnietron wrote:Fear Robots. The recession comes. Firms keep us. We think we're safe. We buy (continue buying) stupid stuff. PPP goes down. Investment in AI goes up. We get axed. Plus side is we have stupid stuff!
I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords patherns.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:49 pm

Minnietron wrote:Fear Robots. The recession comes. Firms keep us. We think we're safe. We buy (continue buying) stupid stuff. PPP goes down. Investment in AI goes up. We get axed. Plus side is we have stupid stuff!
Our employment time horizons aren't long enough for this to be the bigger concern.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:03 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
Our employment time horizons aren't long enough for this to be the bigger concern.
Yeah. My kids will need to learn how to code. I can probably still be a lawyer. Yay?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IsThisForReal

Gold

Post by IsThisForReal » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:21 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:crypto has achieved none of its goals why do people still invest in them no one is disrupting the economy rich people are just speculatively storing cash in them
Because I've just about doubled what I put in
Last edited by IsThisForReal on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:46 pm

IsThisForReal wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:crypto has achieved none of its goals why do people still invest in them no one is disrupting the economy rich people are just speculatively storing cash in them
don't you feel bad that it does literally nothing and it's all speculative value think of mah efficient markets plz

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:36 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
IsThisForReal wrote:
don't you feel bad that it does literally nothing and it's all speculative value think of mah efficient markets plz
Crypto isn't the first, nor will it be the last, commodity that lets people 2x to 10x their investment from pure speculation. That's literally what speculation is, and "efficient markets" being the omnipotent equalizer is flame. It's just the most public one. Wouldn't be surprised if someone is tripling their money off of speculation for idk basil futures or something.

Cryptocurrency also "does literally nothing" in the same way any currency does literally nothing.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:41 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:
IsThisForReal wrote:
Crypto isn't the first, nor will it be the last, commodity that lets people 2x to 10x their investment from pure speculation. That's literally what speculation is, and "efficient markets" being the omnipotent equalizer is flame. It's just the most public one. Wouldn't be surprised if someone is tripling their money off of speculation for idk basil futures or something.

Cryptocurrency also "does literally nothing" in the same way any currency does literally nothing.
basil is the number one most important commodity pnj please back off of my basil investments they're about to get hot

currency is a store, unit, and exchanger of value. crypto does one of those things at most and won't forever when the speculative bubble bursts

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:34 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote: Cryptocurrency also "does literally nothing" in the same way any currency does literally nothing.
the point is Cryptocurrency doesn't have any advantages over holding cold hard cash in USD.

Holding Cryptocurrency is pure speculation. Why should anybody hold part of their wealth in a foreign currency and expose themselves to the risk of that currency's fluctuation if not for the promise of appreciation?

Minnietron

Silver

Post by Minnietron » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:00 pm

Hand wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
Yeah. My kids will need to learn how to code. I can probably still be a lawyer. Yay?
I think you underestimate the growth curve for AI. But assuming y'all are correct, fear robots because terminator is coming.
Last edited by Minnietron on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:46 pm

I think for our lifetimes, we just need to fear people in control of the terminators.

Good ol' machine learning is completely possible and already very real using digital systems. We have computers that can learn things, but they can only learn what we program them to learn. A chess-playing AI can't learn how to cook risotto or murder lots of people. It can only learn how to play chess. Maybe we can develop a robot that can learn a multitude of things, but it will always be controlled and not have "free will" so long as it's based on a purely digital system. It'll also be limited by what we program it to learn.

I really don't think AI (as in, Skynet AI) is possible using a completely digital (numerically based) computing system.

Human brain works off both analog and digital. Read more at: https://www.technologyreview.com/s/5220 ... or-analog/

The difference between digital and non-digital being that information in the brain (not purely digital) is represented in statistical approximations as opposed to exact values. That's why we don't have the same ability to recall things as our hard drives. Digital systems are deterministic, which is why I don't think they're conducive to free will. You are locked into what the numbers say is true.

I don't know much about quantum computing. I think it's still numerically based, but maybe there's promise there for Skynet?

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:03 pm

I just googled some stuff to try to reply to that peanut. I realized I need more math.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Minnietron

Silver

Post by Minnietron » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:04 pm

I don't think anyone knows enough to say for certain what will or will not happen with AI. People orders of magnitude smarter than I am debate this very issue with. Their opinions are divided by chasms bigger than the grand canyon.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/5348 ... elligence/

Also, there are people dealing with the nondeterministic nature of the world. (See Mona https://arxiv.org/pdf/1507.04029.pdf)

With all of that, I still fear robots.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:02 pm

My comment about employment time horizons had almost nothing to do with the rate of AI advancement, just FYI. Am I the only one here looking to FIRE as hard/soon as possible?

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:44 pm

Minnietron

Silver

Post by Minnietron » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:34 pm

I'm planning on having my head attached to a robot. That way I can both defend myself against terminators and live to enjoy the my partnership wealth. Inherently, Hikko, that means no FIRE for me--I'm in it for the long haul. (A rational goal because there is absolutely no data showing how difficult it is to make partner.)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:50 am

My class schedule next semester. :(

MurdockLLP

Bronze

Post by MurdockLLP » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:58 am

RCSOB657 wrote:My class schedule next semester. :(

Seriously? I think you're doing this whole 3L thing wrong.

Calbears123

Bronze

Post by Calbears123 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:48 am

My upper level writing requirement is 10,000 words and basically just restating the arguments made in 3-4 different law review articles...I just don't care anymore.

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:39 am

Ugh... I have spent the last hour not making progress on my homework. Motivation level is exceedingly low.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:02 am

Minnietron

Silver

Post by Minnietron » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:49 am

haus wrote:Ugh... I have spent the last hour not making progress on my homework. Motivation level is exceedingly low.
Yep. This weekend, I read a book for pleasure instead of studying for my Thursday exam. (And now I'm posting here instead of studying.) 1L-me would be disgusted and envious of 3L-me.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:51 am

Minnietron wrote:
haus wrote:Ugh... I have spent the last hour not making progress on my homework. Motivation level is exceedingly low.
Yep. This weekend, I read a book for pleasure instead of studying for my Thursday exam. (And now I'm posting here instead of studying.) 1L-me would be disgusted and envious of 3L-me.
Why disgusted?

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:24 am

Lol, I'll study the morning of.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”