What type of laptop are you going to use for law school?

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

What laptop will you use for 1L?

MacBook Air
32%
MacBook Pro
43%
Lenovo Yoga
5%
Lenovo Flex
2%
Dell XPS
7%
Asus Zenbook
3%
Toshiba Chromebook
2%
Surface Pro
5%
Samsung ATIV
1%

Total votes: 374

Mack.Hambleton

Re: What type of laptop are you going to use for law school?

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Mon May 18, 2015 2:00 pm

Shelbinole wrote:Got one of the new gold MacBooks. My old MacBook Pro was such a pain to carry around all the time.

how do you like it?

usn26

Postby usn26 » Mon May 18, 2015 2:01 pm

I'm considering getting a refurbished iPad 2 for basic lugging around. Terrible idea for law school?

wonka

Post removed.

Postby wonka » Mon May 18, 2015 3:29 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by wonka on Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dasani13

Postby dasani13 » Mon May 18, 2015 5:41 pm

Just got the new 13-in MBP!

Blueberrypie

Postby Blueberrypie » Mon May 18, 2015 8:42 pm

Can I stick with my original macbook (2009) for law school or is it too dated? I can't imagine needing anything special. I'm basically only taking notes and writing papers right?

haus

Postby haus » Mon May 18, 2015 9:24 pm

usn26 wrote:I'm considering getting a refurbished iPad 2 for basic lugging around. Terrible idea for law school?

I have been using a 1st gen iPad mini (similar capabilities to the iPad 2) for reading, checking email on the go, and web surfing. I have been happy with it.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Mon May 18, 2015 11:22 pm

usn26 wrote:I'm considering getting a refurbished iPad 2 for basic lugging around. Terrible idea for law school?

dont think you could take exams on it and bad for note taking too

Shelbinole

Postby Shelbinole » Tue May 19, 2015 1:46 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:
Shelbinole wrote:Got one of the new gold MacBooks. My old MacBook Pro was such a pain to carry around all the time.

how do you like it?

I just ordered it last week and am waiting for it to be shipped. I'll let you guys know how it is once I get it :D. I played around with it a lot in the store and was pretty impressed, it didn't seem noticeably slower than the Pro or Air at all!

stoopkid13

Postby stoopkid13 » Tue May 19, 2015 2:51 am

Depends on what you what you mean by "lugging around." Should be fine for email and websurfing. I think it might be worth taking a look at Windows 8.1 tablets so you have more flexibility (or waiting until summer for Windows 10). FWIW, I have an Asus T100 and an iPad Air and I much prefer my Asus.

usn26

Postby usn26 » Tue May 19, 2015 7:25 am

stoopkid13 wrote:

Depends on what you what you mean by "lugging around." Should be fine for email and websurfing. I think it might be worth taking a look at Windows 8.1 tablets so you have more flexibility (or waiting until summer for Windows 10). FWIW, I have an Asus T100 and an iPad Air and I much prefer my Asus.

Mack.Hambleton wrote:dont think you could take exams on it and bad for note taking too

So, the idea would be to have a Macbook (Pro?) as my primary computer. I'd use that for exams, papers, outlines, etc. The iPad (or T100, since that seems interesting) would just be for classes, since I'm light on typed notes but would want to have the option, or other times I'd want to have a computer handy but not need a whole notebook.

I'd prefer to have a locker to stash the laptop in, but it seems like most law schools have terrible locker situations for 1Ls.

storpappa

Postby storpappa » Tue May 19, 2015 7:29 am

Get your laptop carrying case or laptop backpack first.

THEN take that with you and get the largest size screen you want to carry with an extra battery, cable for your phone and wall charger / brick.
Fill the bag and walk around the store with it for a minute, then hold it or wear it during the entire sales and checkout transaction. If you don't like holding it for 5 minutes, it won't be comfortable for 3 years lugging it around.
Fashion first, comfort then fun features like 13 or 14.7

storpappa

Postby storpappa » Tue May 19, 2015 7:31 am

usn26 wrote:I'd prefer to have a locker to stash the laptop in, but it seems like most law schools have terrible locker situations for 1Ls.

You should transfer to Alabama, you can reserve a spot in the library and just leave your stuff in your cubicle thingie all year long.

w00kash

Postby w00kash » Wed May 20, 2015 1:56 pm

If anybody is looking to save a little money on a macbook air, I bought the 2014 model brand new from B&H for 819 after tax today. Sorry for the semi-spam just thought it might be helpful for some of you. I swear I don't work for them.

parisian

Postby parisian » Wed May 20, 2015 2:03 pm

Does anyone have an opinion whether it's a good idea to purchase Apple Care? the law school says it's strongly recommended to have one, but it seems to me Apple products are pretty reliable and the chances of using AC is kind of unlikely :?

RareExports

Postby RareExports » Wed May 20, 2015 2:21 pm

It's been a while since I've been laptop shopping. Macs are exceedingly bad, but I don't want any of this new hybrid tablet-computer/touchscreen bullshit that Windows brands have been doing lately. Are there any alternatives a la the old Toshiba Satellites?

theramblingfool

Postby theramblingfool » Wed May 20, 2015 4:13 pm

RareExports wrote:It's been a while since I've been laptop shopping. Macs are exceedingly bad, but I don't want any of this new hybrid tablet-computer/touchscreen bullshit that Windows brands have been doing lately. Are there any alternatives a la the old Toshiba Satellites?

TCR is absolutely get a ThinkPad!

abl

Postby abl » Wed May 20, 2015 4:26 pm

Thoughts about the HP Spectre x360? I'm on the fence between that and the 13" RMB Pro.

stoopkid13

Postby stoopkid13 » Wed May 20, 2015 11:02 pm

theramblingfool wrote:
RareExports wrote:It's been a while since I've been laptop shopping. Macs are exceedingly bad, but I don't want any of this new hybrid tablet-computer/touchscreen bullshit that Windows brands have been doing lately. Are there any alternatives a la the old Toshiba Satellites?

+1

Also, you'd have to check for your specific school, but I think Lenovo usually has pretty good student discounts.

OnFleek

Postby OnFleek » Thu May 21, 2015 4:35 am

I am thinking about getting a Dell XPS 13: http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-13-9343-laptop/pd

It seems like a really solid all-around laptop.
- Extremely light to tote around
- 15 hours of battery life
- Solid construction
- Big enough screen for just about everything

And the infinity screen is pretty awesome!

I've never been had a Mac and this seems like a poor time to start, so Dell seems like a good option. And the non-touch model with the i5 processor is WAY cheaper that a Macbook.

Anyone have any experience with Dell or this model specifically?

ChemEng1642

Postby ChemEng1642 » Thu May 21, 2015 6:19 am

theramblingfool wrote:

+1 I love my new ThinkPad! And ThinkPads have by far my favorite keyboards (even in their ultrabook line).

storpappa

Postby storpappa » Thu May 21, 2015 6:55 am

If it has been a while, like 7 or 9 years, the market is much smaller for brands / choices. And the software updates on the mac side - which I would never buy - do give you more options in easier booting. Worth a trip to the local Apple store for a demo to at least spend an hour now before you make a purchase

altf4

Postby altf4 » Thu May 21, 2015 7:47 am

OnFleek wrote:I am thinking about getting a Dell XPS 13: http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-13-9343-laptop/pd

- Solid construction

I've never been had a Mac and this seems like a poor time to start, so Dell seems like a good option. And the non-touch model with the i5 processor is WAY cheaper that a Macbook.

This is exactly what I have been thinking the past week or so that I've been looking around online, researching laptops: light, sturdy, good battery, cool screen, and I'm not so keen about switching over to Mac. I'd love some input, too, though, if anyone's ever used the series!

Does Dell have offline stores where we might be able to check it out before we buy?

ms2014

Postby ms2014 » Thu May 21, 2015 7:59 am

OnFleek wrote:I am thinking about getting a Dell XPS 13: http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-13-9343-laptop/pd

- Solid construction

I have a Dell XPS that is several years old at this point (maybe 2010ish?), but it held up remarkably well until a few weeks ago when my significant other killed part of the keyboard by spilling a drink on it. I think the one we have is 17 inches, so it's always seemed a bit heavy to me but I'm sure they've improved on the design in the past 5 years. It was definitely sufficient for everything we used it for (i.e. anything Microsoft Office related, Skyping, internet browsing, (some) gaming).

I've been considering a 13 inch Dell XPS for law school next year, since they are much cheaper than MacBooks, but I'm not crazy about Windows 8. I'm probably going to wait until later in the summer to see whether Windows 10 is released before making a final decision.

storpappa

Postby storpappa » Thu May 21, 2015 8:09 am

COSTCO to test drive laptops like DELL. Costco which if you can buy your computer there. They provide an extra year of warranty coverage for free, help with repairs and the pricing

stoopkid13

Postby stoopkid13 » Thu May 21, 2015 2:03 pm

storpappa wrote:COSTCO to test drive laptops like DELL. Costco which if you can buy your computer there. They provide an extra year of warranty coverage for free, help with repairs and the pricing

My dad likes buying computers from Costco for those reasons, but for me I don't like the limited choices. Also I think student discounts would be about equal to any cost savings. For some vendors, like Dell, Lenovo, Apple, you can get a student discount and customize the computer which I think is preferable.

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”