What type of laptop are you going to use for law school?

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

What laptop will you use for 1L?

MacBook Air
120
32%
MacBook Pro
162
43%
Lenovo Yoga
17
5%
Lenovo Flex
7
2%
Dell XPS
27
7%
Asus Zenbook
13
3%
Toshiba Chromebook
8
2%
Surface Pro
18
5%
Samsung ATIV
2
1%
 
Total votes: 374

User avatar
90convoy
Posts: 918
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:59 pm

Re: What type of laptop are you going to use for law school?

Postby 90convoy » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:53 am

I have a macbook pro, but I dual boot with windows 7

newforllm
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu May 14, 2015 1:45 am

Re: What type of laptop are you going to use for law school?

Postby newforllm » Thu May 14, 2015 1:59 am

AreJay711 wrote:You guys are going to want big laptops that will allow you to dick around on the internet / gchat / fb chat while keeping your note taking software up.


This. Also, try to find a laptop with great resolution if you're able to see your screen well. Not only can you fit more open things on one screen, but people are less likely to be able to read your chats. And they WILL. Whether intentionally, or by accident, people will read your chats, and it can be awkward when your friend in another section sends you a message about someone who happens to be sitting right behind you. I have the Asus Zenbook Prime, and it's lasted me 2.5 years, and battery life is still about 6 hours (and people sitting next to me can't read what I'm writing).

Also, I don't know if it's the people that happen to be responding to the poll or if my school is an anomaly, but at my school I'd say at least 80% of the people have PCs. I also know of some people with Macs who have had trouble using the specific VPN to access clinic documents, even when they run Windows on their Mac. I'd recommend a PC if you're on the fence for two reasons: it's cheaper and there are never compatibility issues with school programs.

User avatar
storpappa
Posts: 1397
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:06 am

Re: What type of laptop are you going to use for law school?

Postby storpappa » Thu May 14, 2015 7:28 am

Isn't the first rule of a laptop, get the one you want to carry around everywhere, plus an extra battery and the charger cable ?


User avatar
ChemEng1642
Posts: 1239
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:26 pm

Re: What type of laptop are you going to use for law school?

Postby ChemEng1642 » Thu May 14, 2015 9:05 am

newforllm wrote:
Also, I don't know if it's the people that happen to be responding to the poll or if my school is an anomaly, but at my school I'd say at least 80% of the people have PCs. I also know of some people with Macs who have had trouble using the specific VPN to access clinic documents, even when they run Windows on their Mac. I'd recommend a PC if you're on the fence for two reasons: it's cheaper and there are never compatibility issues with school programs.


When I went to Michigan for an ASW EVERYONE studying there had a Mac - it was kind of crazy actually

zaetoroftheprotoss
Posts: 117
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:42 pm

Re: What type of laptop are you going to use for law school?

Postby zaetoroftheprotoss » Thu May 14, 2015 9:10 am

I think I might end up getting a tablet with a separate keyboard attachment, but as of right now, I will be using my Razer Blade 2014 for class.

User avatar
ChemEng1642
Posts: 1239
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:26 pm

Re: What type of laptop are you going to use for law school?

Postby ChemEng1642 » Thu May 14, 2015 9:30 am

zaetoroftheprotoss wrote:I think I might end up getting a tablet with a separate keyboard attachment, but as of right now, I will be using my Razer Blade 2014 for class.


Just make sure you have an actual laptop for exams since most tablets can't run ExamSoft

zaetoroftheprotoss
Posts: 117
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:42 pm

Re: What type of laptop are you going to use for law school?

Postby zaetoroftheprotoss » Thu May 14, 2015 9:49 am

ChemEng1642 wrote:Just make sure you have an actual laptop for exams since most tablets can't run ExamSoft


This is really good to know! Thanks ChemEng!

User avatar
ChemEng1642
Posts: 1239
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:26 pm

Re: What type of laptop are you going to use for law school?

Postby ChemEng1642 » Thu May 14, 2015 10:08 am

zaetoroftheprotoss wrote:
ChemEng1642 wrote:Just make sure you have an actual laptop for exams since most tablets can't run ExamSoft


This is really good to know! Thanks ChemEng!


No problem! :)

FloridaCoastalorbust
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:43 pm

Re: What type of laptop are you going to use for law school?

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu May 14, 2015 10:34 am

I think I'll wait until Windows 10 comes out mid-July to buy anything.

User avatar
Gray
Posts: 5989
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:02 pm

Re: What type of laptop are you going to use for law school?

Postby Gray » Thu May 14, 2015 10:37 am

I'm still hoping for a back to school sale on surface 3 or surface pro. I'm also hoping my boss will let me keep my 21.5 inch iMac as a parting gift. Not holding my breath though.

stoopkid13
Posts: 207
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:31 am

Re: What type of laptop are you going to use for law school?

Postby stoopkid13 » Thu May 14, 2015 10:49 am

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:I think I'll wait until Windows 10 comes out mid-July to buy anything.


Right now Examsoft doesn't support Windows 10 FYI. But yeah, if there aren't compatibility issues I'd wait for Windows 10 (and for Skylake processors if they come out in time).

User avatar
Kinky John
Posts: 1106
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:52 am

Re: What type of laptop are you going to use for law school?

Postby Kinky John » Thu May 14, 2015 10:52 am

Gray wrote:I'm still hoping for a back to school sale on surface 3 or surface pro. I'm also hoping my boss will let me keep my 21.5 inch iMac as a parting gift. Not holding my breath though.


lol, in the same boat. maybe we can pull a strangers on a train thing

User avatar
buckiguy_sucks
Posts: 2624
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:07 pm

Post removed.

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Thu May 14, 2015 10:53 am

Post removed.
Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Gray
Posts: 5989
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:02 pm

Re: What type of laptop are you going to use for law school?

Postby Gray » Thu May 14, 2015 11:10 am

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
Gray wrote:I'm still hoping for a back to school sale on surface 3 or surface pro. I'm also hoping my boss will let me keep my 21.5 inch iMac as a parting gift. Not holding my breath though.


plz bring this computer to exams tyia

I'm sure somewhere out there, there's a gunner who has at least seriously considered this option.

User avatar
PrizeFighter
Posts: 111
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:57 am

Re: What type of laptop are you going to use for law school?

Postby PrizeFighter » Thu May 14, 2015 11:24 am

Gray wrote:I'm still hoping for a back to school sale on surface 3 or surface pro. I'm also hoping my boss will let me keep my 21.5 inch iMac as a parting gift. Not holding my breath though.


I got a Surface 3 the day it came out because I wanted to familiarize myself with it and onenote before school starts. I've been scanning pdfs of E&E's to practice reading and taking notes, and I have to say it is a pretty sweet little machine.

User avatar
cal2013
Posts: 136
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:22 am

Re: What type of laptop are you going to use for law school?

Postby cal2013 » Thu May 14, 2015 4:20 pm

I recently bought the ASUS Transformer Book T100. (http://www.cnet.com/products/asus-trans ... book-t100/)

It's cheap, ridiculously light, great battery life, runs full Windows 8.1, and comes with Office for free. Very happy with it. Do you guys think the 10" screen will be too small for notes though?

User avatar
ChemEng1642
Posts: 1239
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:26 pm

Re: What type of laptop are you going to use for law school?

Postby ChemEng1642 » Thu May 14, 2015 4:28 pm

cal2013 wrote:I recently bought the ASUS Transformer Book T100. (http://www.cnet.com/products/asus-trans ... book-t100/)

It's cheap, ridiculously light, great battery life, runs full Windows 8.1, and comes with Office for free. Very happy with it. Do you guys think the 10" screen will be too small for notes though?


Eh 12" I think is my minimum size - I hope this isn't your only "laptop" though

Alhe5015
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:26 pm

Re: What type of laptop are you going to use for law school?

Postby Alhe5015 » Fri May 15, 2015 10:36 am

I just pulled the trigger on a 13 in air w 512 flash, 8g ram and the i7. I kinda wanted to wait for the air refresh but I got it 25% off from a good friend at apple. For a split second I may have wanted the gold MacBook but i think for the money I got the better laptop.

User avatar
wonka
Posts: 470
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:46 pm

Post removed.

Postby wonka » Fri May 15, 2015 11:19 am

Post removed.
Last edited by wonka on Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2246
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: What type of laptop are you going to use for law school?

Postby Nonconsecutive » Fri May 15, 2015 12:22 pm

I've had very good results with my Samsung. And it was only 600$ - which I get is still expensive, but not in comparison to some of the laptops I see around campus.

Alhe5015
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:26 pm

Re: What type of laptop are you going to use for law school?

Postby Alhe5015 » Fri May 15, 2015 12:54 pm

mwonka wrote:
Alhe5015 wrote:I just pulled the trigger on a 13 in air w 512 flash, 8g ram and the i7. I kinda wanted to wait for the air refresh but I got it 25% off from a good friend at apple. For a split second I may have wanted the gold MacBook but i think for the money I got the better laptop.


I'm debating whether to get the Air, the Pro, or the new Macbook. None of them are quite perfect, y'know?

12" screen on the MB feels too small, the MBP is kinda expensive and heavy, and when I look at the MBA I miss the retina display...


Yeah I totally agree. I think It all just boils down to personal preference.

User avatar
dasani13
Posts: 1055
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 3:21 pm

Re: What type of laptop are you going to use for law school?

Postby dasani13 » Fri May 15, 2015 8:56 pm

I wish they'd come out with a MacBook Pro that looks like the new MacBook! the space gray is so nice

User avatar
smile0751
Posts: 400
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:40 pm

Re: What type of laptop are you going to use for law school?

Postby smile0751 » Fri May 15, 2015 9:27 pm

dasani13 wrote:I wish they'd come out with a MacBook Pro that looks like the new MacBook! the space gray is so nice


The fact that I'm considering buying a computer purely based on a color option (gold) is crazy.... but I want need my iphone, ipad, and mac to match!!!! I didnt even realize it was something I needed until apple showed me the "way"....

But then a 12 inch screen is so small.... 13 inches is soo much better.

#1stWorldLawSchoolProblems

Malta
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 10:13 pm

Re: What type of laptop are you going to use for law school?

Postby Malta » Mon May 18, 2015 1:30 pm

Picked up a Surface Pro 3 (i7, 256mb, 8mb) a couple of weeks ago.

So far I like the mechanics of it. The real challenge is getting used to 8.1 instead of 7. So far, not a fan of 8.1. Compounding this is an upgrade to software typically use (Quicken and Office). So a bit difficult to purely assess SP3 due to the newness of the OS and software.

For SP3, like portability; keyboard pretty good; stylus good. Probably will get a multi USB adapter and plug in keyboard for extended use sessions.

User avatar
Shelbinole
Posts: 164
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:18 am

Re: What type of laptop are you going to use for law school?

Postby Shelbinole » Mon May 18, 2015 1:49 pm

Got one of the new gold MacBooks. My old MacBook Pro was such a pain to carry around all the time.




Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests