What type of laptop are you going to use for law school? Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

What laptop will you use for 1L?

MacBook Air
31%
MacBook Pro
44%
Lenovo Yoga
5%
Lenovo Flex
2%
Dell XPS
7%
Asus Zenbook
3%
Toshiba Chromebook
2%
Surface Pro
5%
Samsung ATIV
0%

Total votes: 405

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Re: What type of laptop are you going to use for law school?

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:17 pm

link to 800 dollar MBA?

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:33 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:link to 800 dollar MBA?
Go to bestbuy.com and enroll in their student discount thing with your .edu email address. They'll send you a $100 off coupon pretty much immediately. MBAs are currently $900 retail.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:20 am

Clemenceau wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:link to 800 dollar MBA?
Go to bestbuy.com and enroll in their student discount thing with your .edu email address. They'll send you a $100 off coupon pretty much immediately. MBAs are currently $900 retail.
thank you!

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:40 am

Have had the XPS for about three weeks. A solid 9/10. One complaint is the size of the trackpad, which given its small size makes it hard to distinguish between right/left clicks. A complaint about Windows 10, which is generally good - and much better than Windows 8 - is that the auto-hide feature for the start bar does not work.

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:47 am

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Have had the XPS for about three weeks. A solid 9/10. One complaint is the size of the trackpad, which given its small size makes it hard to distinguish between right/left clicks. A complaint about Windows 10, which is generally good - and much better than Windows 8 - is that the auto-hide feature for the start bar does not work.
Does the keyboard feel small to you? I only spent a minute with one recently and couldn't decide how I felt about the typing experience

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Indifference

Silver

Post by Indifference » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:52 am

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Have had the XPS for about three weeks. A solid 9/10. One complaint is the size of the trackpad, which given its small size makes it hard to distinguish between right/left clicks. A complaint about Windows 10, which is generally good - and much better than Windows 8 - is that the auto-hide feature for the start bar does not work.
Auto-hide works for me. Odd.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:57 am

Clemenceau wrote:
Does the keyboard feel small to you? I only spent a minute with one recently and couldn't decide how I felt about the typing experience
The keyboard is a bit small. As you might know they stuffed a 13 inch screen into an 11 inch body. But the smaller keyboard hasn't been an issue for me. This thing is so damn thin, lightweight, fast, and has massive battery life.

jrwhitedog

New

Post by jrwhitedog » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:54 am

Just curious, do lawyers use mac or pc ?

clshopeful

Bronze

Post by clshopeful » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:26 pm

Dude, get a macbook, without question. Most reliable and works best with programs.

During exams and using examsof, the ONLY kids who had problems were those without macs.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:50 pm

You guys can trust this guy he guaruntees he's got an A in civ pro so he definitely knows what's best wrt to laptops

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:54 pm

clshopeful wrote:Dude, get a macbook, without question. Most reliable and works best with programs.

During exams and using examsof, the ONLY kids who had problems were those without macs.
Well, macbooks tend to have a lower failure rate than pcs in general. Your anecdote doesnt really prove this though. Examsoft does not seem discriminate from what I've seen.

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:25 pm

Clemenceau wrote:
clshopeful wrote:Dude, get a macbook, without question. Most reliable and works best with programs.

Well, macbooks tend to have a lower failure rate than pcs in general. Your anecdote doesnt really prove this though. Examsoft does not seem discriminate from what I've seen.
I really mike my macbook air, and I think it would be a good choice for many people, but I agree that examsoft is a potential stumbling block for anyone regardless of platform.

Kinky John

Silver

Post by Kinky John » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:28 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:You guys can trust this guy he guaruntees he's got an A in civ pro so he definitely knows what's best wrt to laptops
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NoBladesNoBows

Silver

Post by NoBladesNoBows » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:17 pm

Last edited by NoBladesNoBows on Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Archer

Bronze

Post by Mr. Archer » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:13 pm

I used a Dell my first two years of law school and then a Macbook Air. The switch to Mac Word took a little while to get used to and I still prefer Word for PC, but it wasn't really a big deal. I never had problems with software on either computer.

clshopeful

Bronze

Post by clshopeful » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:50 am

NoBladesNoBows wrote:

During my exams people used both macs and pcs, and no one had any problems. Therefore, no computers ever have problems. hth
Ok, let me put you in this situation. You sit through 5 exams. In each exam, 1 student has a problem with the software. Each of those 5 has a PC. Now you go to a computer store. Which one do you buy? Obviously what I said isn't meant to be taken in the absolutist way you contorted it to be. It is evidence from my experience. Only a fucking idiot would disregard 5 student's PCs failing during exams, when no other computers failed, and not take it into account when buying a computer. gg and nt

arock111

New

Post by arock111 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:54 am

clshopeful wrote:
NoBladesNoBows wrote:

During my exams people used both macs and pcs, and no one had any problems. Therefore, no computers ever have problems. hth
Ok, let me put you in this situation. You sit through 5 exams. In each exam, 1 student has a problem with the software. Each of those 5 has a PC. Now you go to a computer store. Which one do you buy? Obviously what I said isn't meant to be taken in the absolutist way you contorted it to be. It is evidence from my experience. Only a fucking idiot would disregard 5 student's PCs failing during exams, when no other computers failed, and not take it into account when buying a computer. gg and nt
useless without knowing the proportion of students using PCs and Macs, though. If 99% of students are using PCs, you would expect more issues to pop up on PCs

by the way, as a long time lurker, you're my favorite TLS member. keep killing it plz

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

clshopeful

Bronze

Post by clshopeful » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:15 pm

arock111 wrote:
clshopeful wrote:
NoBladesNoBows wrote:

useless without knowing the proportion of students using PCs and Macs, though. If 99% of students are using PCs, you would expect more issues to pop up on PCs

by the way, as a long time lurker, you're my favorite TLS member. keep killing it plz

I think we all know no law school classroom is 99% PCs... Apple is the majority, but I get it, you took the lsat and now drive each and every statement to the edge of infinity looking for ways to make it seem irrational. gg

arock111

New

Post by arock111 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:20 pm

clshopeful wrote:
arock111 wrote:
clshopeful wrote:
NoBladesNoBows wrote:

I think we all know no law school classroom is 99% PCs... Apple is the majority, but I get it, you took the lsat and now drive each and every statement to the edge of infinity looking for ways to make it seem irrational. gg
Okey. I have no idea where you go to law school and the demographic it attracts but keep doing you

NoBladesNoBows

Silver

Post by NoBladesNoBows » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:30 pm

Last edited by NoBladesNoBows on Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:03 pm

NoBladesNoBows wrote:
clshopeful wrote:
NoBladesNoBows wrote:

Not a big fan of statistics, are ya?
Stop being jealous of his grades will ya, give the guy a break already

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

clshopeful

Bronze

Post by clshopeful » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:04 pm

NoBladesNoBows wrote:
clshopeful wrote:
NoBladesNoBows wrote:

Not a big fan of statistics, are ya?
must have a dell lol

cantyoloforever

Bronze

Post by cantyoloforever » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:36 pm

Exam soft doesn't support windows 10?

Trying to figure out what kind of laptop to get before school. Any recs? I'd prefer to pay for something in a dell's price range.

Also, I read on duke's website that windows 10 pro is required. So I should specify that I get that when going to the store?

Please note I am incompetent with computers lol

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:52 pm

cantyoloforever wrote:Exam soft doesn't support windows 10?

Trying to figure out what kind of laptop to get before school. Any recs? I'd prefer to pay for something in a dell's price range.

Also, I read on duke's website that windows 10 pro is required. So I should specify that I get that when going to the store?

Check with your school directly. Examsoft is regularly updated which can change its compatibility, so it's hard for anyone here to say for sure. The IT people at your school will know.

cantyoloforever

Bronze

Post by cantyoloforever » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:04 pm

Clemenceau wrote:
cantyoloforever wrote:Exam soft doesn't support windows 10?

Check with your school directly. Examsoft is regularly updated which can change its compatibility, so it's hard for anyone here to say for sure. The IT people at your school will know.
Should I wait to buy a laptop until I make a deposit then?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”