What type of laptop are you going to use for law school? Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

What laptop will you use for 1L?

MacBook Air
31%
MacBook Pro
44%
Lenovo Yoga
5%
Lenovo Flex
2%
Dell XPS
7%
Asus Zenbook
3%
Toshiba Chromebook
2%
Surface Pro
5%
Samsung ATIV
0%

Total votes: 405

AreJay711

Gold

Re: What type of laptop are you going to use for law school?

Post by AreJay711 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:06 am

You guys are going to want big laptops that will allow you to dick around on the internet / gchat / fb chat while keeping your note taking software up.

breadcarp

New

Post by breadcarp » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:13 pm

I'm a long time windows user and I have a (very large) windows laptop which I'll bring to keep in the apartment. For class though I bought a 13inch macbook pro recently. Coming from windows its a little quirky, but I've come to like it a lot.

I'm subscribed to microsoft's office 365 which gives me 5(?) office licenses and a 1tb cloud drive. Works on mac and windows. Syncing files between the two has been great so far. Also the subscription gets you into the mac office 2016 beta, which is coming along nicely.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:37 am

how does the 13in macbook air still not have a 1080p or better display

JESUS CHRIST

breadcarp

New

Post by breadcarp » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:11 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:how does the 13in macbook air still not have a 1080p or better display

JESUS CHRIST
Between the newest macbook and the already thin macbook pro i feel like youd need to have extremely specific reasons to still hold out for the air to update. Personally i think the hardware in the beefier mbp justifies the weight, and with a paper notebook, some assorted files, and even one small book i think the differences approach noise. Ymmv if youre trying to carry it in a purse or youre very small, etc.

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:02 am

Anyone know if any law schools provide microsoft office downloads for students? My ug did but I kinda doubt law schools do

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DK21

Bronze

Post by DK21 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:05 am

I'm looking into buying a new mac for law school. Is anyone considering the new macbook? Is it worth getting that over an air or pro?

BrazilBandit

Bronze

Post by BrazilBandit » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:06 am

Clemenceau wrote:Anyone know if any law schools provide microsoft office downloads for students? My ug did but I kinda doubt law schools do
I'm not sure, but you can at least use your.edu email for the discounted Office 365 + Onedrive combo...

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msu ... medium=cpc

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:12 am

BrazilBandit wrote:
Clemenceau wrote:Anyone know if any law schools provide microsoft office downloads for students? My ug did but I kinda doubt law schools do
I'm not sure, but you can at least use your.edu email for the discounted Office 365 + Onedrive combo...

Oh cool thanks. 80 bucks for 4 years is quite reasonable.

barbiegurl

New

Post by barbiegurl » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:00 pm

Indy16 wrote:
Gray wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:
Eladriel wrote:Pen and paper for me.
For in class notes +1, can't focus for shit with a laptop out
+1.
+1
+100
In undergrad we could not have laptops out in most classes, and this saved my very easily distracted ass.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wonka

Bronze

Post removed.

Post by wonka » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:27 am

Post removed.
Last edited by wonka on Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:32 am

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:18 pm

mwonka wrote:For those of you planning on getting the Surface, will you have a desktop/second computer at home, too? The surface looks great for note taking but I'm not sure I'd want to write 50 pg briefs on it. . .
I have a bigger laptop which I might bring, or possibly even ship down my desktop. Either way though I will bring my Mechanical Keyboard with me, and maybe just buy the little dock thing for Surface and plug keyboard (and a big monitor?) into it.

rion91

Silver

Post by rion91 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:30 pm

BrazilBandit wrote:

Is that the web-based version or the actual software?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BrazilBandit

Bronze

Post by BrazilBandit » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:32 pm

rion91 wrote:
BrazilBandit wrote:

Actual software!

rion91

Silver

Post by rion91 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:12 pm

BrazilBandit wrote:
rion91 wrote:
BrazilBandit wrote:

Actual software!
Oh that's a really good deal :shock:

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:02 pm

rion91 wrote:
BrazilBandit wrote:
rion91 wrote:
BrazilBandit wrote: I'm not sure, but you can at least use your.edu email for the discounted Office 365 + Onedrive combo...

Actual software!
Oh that's a really good deal :shock:
It's a subscription. When you stop paying, you no longer have Office.

ub3r

Bronze

Post by ub3r » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:14 pm

Went down to the Microsoft and Apple stores yesterday to actually handle some of the laptops I was considering.

The new Zenbook is nice and small, though the touchpad was just okay. Once you've felt the macbook touchpad, nothing else compares, sadly. The different style of screen surface will also take some getting used to. The keyboard was suitable. As someone who is used to Windows 7, Windows 8 made me feel claustrophobic. It was like everything was fighting for screen space. But I guess Windows 10 this summer will remedy that?

The Surface 3 was way better than I thought. The (somehow not included) keyboard was really comfortable for me to type on, and the stylus pen worked great. Windows 8 still sucks.

Additionally, I don't really get the appeal of OneNote over Word, especially if the device doesn't have a touch screen. I like the organized rigidity of Word and am not a huge fan of the free-wheeling OneNote. But maybe that's just my inexperience. I will say that I think it's dumb you can't open PDFs into OneNote directly. Annotating PDFs with a stylus in OneNote seems like exactly the function I would want to have in law school. I guess you can convert the PDF to word and then copy over to OneNote? But that seems like a step too many. Idk, I'd love for someone to sell me on OneNote, especially for a non-touchscreen device.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

IsThisForReal

Gold

Post by IsThisForReal » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:22 pm

mwonka wrote:For those of you planning on getting the Surface, will you have a desktop/second computer at home, too? The surface looks great for note taking but I'm not sure I'd want to write 50 pg briefs on it. . .
I have a Surface 2 and Dell Inspiron 14". Plan to save everything law on the Cloud
Last edited by IsThisForReal on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

tuxedocat

Silver

Post by tuxedocat » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:55 pm

My Macbook from grad school died a couple years ago (RIP) and I've just been riding on my work laptop, so I'm looking forward to getting a new Macbook Air or Pro (not sure yet). I actually would love to keep my work laptop (Thinkpad X1--super light, thin, fast) but if I'm buying myself, I'm going back to Mac. I also have a desktop PC that I'll bring along.

I do empathize with those who get too distracted using a laptop for notes. In grad school I downloaded a program called Freedom that shuts off your network access, and I wouldn't have been able to finish papers or anything without it. There's also a version called Antisocial that's the same thing but only shuts off social networks. Highly recommended.

wonka

Bronze

Post removed.

Post by wonka » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:18 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by wonka on Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

usernotfound

Bronze

Post by usernotfound » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:28 pm

yot11 wrote:
stoopkid13 wrote:Anyone else holding out to see what happens with the new Skylake processors? Think its worth waiting until right before school in August (or even September)?
Skylake will bring major improvements as the "tock" in the "tick-tock" process, since it is a complete microarchitecture design (rather than just shrinking the transistor size). If you can hold out for it, then yeah wait because this step traditionally brings much better performance at much lower battery cost.
My laptop is pushing 3-4 years and feels like it's getting slower even after reformatting, so I plan to upgrade but I think I'll hold out as well for the new architecture. Hopefully they will be reasonably priced within the first few months after release, but other components also seem to be dropping in price, especially SSD's and 3k/4k screens, so it's probably worth waiting.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

applicant4321

New

Post by applicant4321 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:40 pm

I talked to a couple of IT people about whether to do an Air or a Pro and the consensus was that unless your planning on downloading and running intense applications for video/ photo editing or similar things that an Air is really all you need. I personally keep everything I do on a computer pretty simple so I got the 256G Air, and I think I will be good to go.
after apple care and a new case I still paid $1500 for the Air and that is a lot of money to spend on a computer!
I just didn't think going for the Pro would be of any benefit to me and the air is extremely light, great for a backpack.
I think the Apple store tries to sell you on the Pro because lets face it, its fancy! But, I just don't think most people get the full benefit from those computers because they are almost too powerful for what an average user needs, and the people in the store will be honest and tell you these things if you ask their opinion.
However, the 15 inch screen and retina display on the Pro is pretty awesome, you just have to decide if its worth it.

AlwaysLurking

New

Post by AlwaysLurking » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:20 am

long time pc user currently debating the switch to mac.
I've stuck with pc for so long because i like to lie to myself and pretend I have time for gaming. When I bought my laptop 5 years ago, 1080p and solid graphics cards for under $1000 kept me in the pc camp. Also windows 7 was almost perfect.

Now it seems like everyone is putting out hybrids and windows 8 is annoying, so I'm thinking about switching to mac for that "pure laptop" experience. I hate how overpriced they are in terms of what you actually get under the hood. I also will always associate macs with obscure ports that need a dongle just to connect to anything in the real world. I'm sure that's a pretty outdated stereotype.

I do like the "one stop shop" aspect of the apple experience. As I think someone said earlier, some pc manufacturers have children and monkeys staffing their customer service depts. Also no one except maybe Lenovo comes close to apple's build quality.

Ugh I'm torn...

fisheatbananas

Bronze

Post by fisheatbananas » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:58 am

I'm actually going to order the lenovo thinkpad x250 tonight. I'll need time to get used to it since I've been using a mac for all my life

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:22 am

AlwaysLurking wrote:long time pc user currently debating the switch to mac.
I've stuck with pc for so long because i like to lie to myself and pretend I have time for gaming. When I bought my laptop 5 years ago, 1080p and solid graphics cards for under $1000 kept me in the pc camp. Also windows 7 was almost perfect.

Now it seems like everyone is putting out hybrids and windows 8 is annoying, so I'm thinking about switching to mac for that "pure laptop" experience. I hate how overpriced they are in terms of what you actually get under the hood. I also will always associate macs with obscure ports that need a dongle just to connect to anything in the real world. I'm sure that's a pretty outdated stereotype.

I do like the "one stop shop" aspect of the apple experience. As I think someone said earlier, some pc manufacturers have children and monkeys staffing their customer service depts. Also no one except maybe Lenovo comes close to apple's build quality.

Ugh I'm torn...
Why switch now when you're just going to get used to using OSX for three years and then have to re-acclimate to Windows when you start working? The real word (aside from some art/design) uses Windows.

You can have a "real laptop experience," whatever that is, on a PC. Just pay a little more (still less than a mac) and get a nice slick ultrabook with a high-res screen and whatever bells and whistles you want. And standard ports. And downgrade rights to Win 7 if you really can't deal with 8.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”