Notre Dame Class of 2018 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
kyle010723

Silver

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2018

Post by kyle010723 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:19 pm

To clarify the law school funded employment jump. I think it was probably due to the Bridge to Practice program they started. Whereby the school pay a stipend for working at a government or public interest, which would explain the big jump in public interest jobs. It is essentially a post-grad externship. Sure, it was probably meant to game the employment stat, but realistically, it helps the students in paying you something that you otherwise would not get paid for while building you resume and hopefully finding some better jobs. They announced they will continue this program for 2015.

And I agree with the previous comment, if you are dead set to work in DC, go to a DC school. If you are dead set to work in SoCal, go to USC or UCLA. If you get in a T14, I'd consider any T14 over none-T14. But ND is a great school for Chicago, and for those that is not set on a geographic region.

Calbears123

Bronze

Post by Calbears123 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:43 am

My thoughts on ASW. Impressed with the facilities, even the "old" building looked like it was just built. Law building is bigger inside then it looks from the outside or on a map, but I'm assuming that the library gets pretty packed during the beginning of the semester and finals. Professors seemed friendly (but we are paying their bills) and the current students seemed to enjoy the school. The CDO had a good presentation, I was impressed with their placement outside of Illinois. CA being their second most "go to" state was a big selling point for me. I don't really understand why TLS seems to think ND has no reach outside the midwest.

The school in general is way bigger then I thought, it also seemed a little bit empty (maybe I'm just use to my undergrad being located in a city with minimal land for recreation).

On thing to note, the CDO rep seemed to be caught of guard by that question about school funded jobs. I'm assuming the "bridge to practice" program is different than traditional school funded jobs because the students are not working for the school, just given a stipend?

Anyways I deposited and put my name down for what seemed to be the last 1 bedroom apartments walking distance from the school. See who ever else in fall.

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:24 am

TLS thinks ND doesn't have the reach outside midwest because law schools are mostly regional outside of T14. But ND has the name recognition to get you back to your home market, as well as most major cities. Now, if you are dead set at one particular area, it would make sense to go to the best regional school. If you are dead set on soCal, I'd pick USC or UCLA. If you are dead set on DC, I'd pick GW if not GULC. But if you want to keep your option open, ND has some carrying power, albeit not a T14.

The law school building feels empty because it was Friday, very few people had class. And they also doubled the classroom space without significantly increasing enrollment when they build the new building.

The bridge to practice from my understanding is, you have to find an unpaid externship (which presumably is easier than a paid job) at places such as government or public interest, i.e. public defender, prosecutor, or what not. ND will give you a modest stipend for up to a year. The condition being you need to be in touch with the CDO every so often and be actively looking for a full time job. It is literally something to help build you resume and make you more marketable.

The library is usually packed with stressed out 1L during the beginning, and everyone else toward the end.

liberalartslawyer

New

Post by liberalartslawyer » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:52 am

Calbears123 wrote:
On thing to note, the CDO rep seemed to be caught of guard by that question about school funded jobs. I'm assuming the "bridge to practice" program is different than traditional school funded jobs because the students are not working for the school, just given a stipend?

Anyways I deposited and put my name down for what seemed to be the last 1 bedroom apartments walking distance from the school. See who ever else in fall.
Agreed that the CDO rep didn't give a satisfactory response on the school funded jobs. He seemed to want to gloss over that portion as quickly as possible. Would have loved if he had provided some details - ie. how much is this stipend for, is it competitive among the students who don't have real jobs, etc.

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:05 pm

liberalartslawyer wrote: Agreed that the CDO rep didn't give a satisfactory response on the school funded jobs. He seemed to want to gloss over that portion as quickly as possible. Would have loved if he had provided some details - ie. how much is this stipend for, is it competitive among the students who don't have real jobs, etc.
Yea, I don't have any more details either. They literally sent us an email saying here is this program, email this person to find out more. It is no where on the website either.

Here is all I know:
ND Email wrote: Notre Dame Law School is proud to continue its bridge-to-practice program for the Class of 2015. The program is designed to provide graduating students who have not yet secured employment with legal experience so that they can more successfully pursue longer-term employment. Program participants will receive a modest stipend while serving with a government or public interest employer in the area of the country in which they will ultimately practice law. In the past, participants have served in the offices of prosecutors and public defenders, with a variety of non-governmental public service organizations, in judges’ chambers, and in other positions.

The bridge-to-practice program is designed to allow participants to build legal skills, add to their resume, and develop relationships with members of the local bar. Participants will take the summer bar exam, provide legal services for their employer, and spend additional time each week searching for follow-on employment. They will also engage in bi-weekly one-on-one discussions with a Career Development Office counselor over the telephone to review and implement an effective job search strategy.

There are a limited number of positions available in the bridge-to-practice program. Students who wish to participate must also continue to engage in an active search for long-term employment during the spring semester.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mozart Lacrimosa

Bronze

Post by Mozart Lacrimosa » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:23 pm

Deposited today. ASW: I thought the professors were great, although they surely brought out the big guns for the event. Regarding portability, let's put this one to rest haha - like a t14, students come from all over and not surprisingly go back all over to work. Unlike a t14 there certainly aren't quota spots for ND grads at top firms. I think every employer will recognize ND as a good school, although not traditionally known as a great law school. But if you get that face to face it's on you at that point.

To Kyle, I would be interested to know what the vibe of the student body is like. During the class we sat in on, some of the students seemed to make rather dull points, but at least I didn't see any gunners.

I feel good about my decision, although I'll ride one wait list, there really is no place quite like Notre Dame.

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:10 pm

Mozart Lacrimosa wrote:Deposited today. ASW: I thought the professors were great, although they surely brought out the big guns for the event. Regarding portability, let's put this one to rest haha - like a t14, students come from all over and not surprisingly go back all over to work. Unlike a t14 there certainly aren't quota spots for ND grads at top firms. I think every employer will recognize ND as a good school, although not traditionally known as a great law school. But if you get that face to face it's on you at that point.

To Kyle, I would be interested to know what the vibe of the student body is like. During the class we sat in on, some of the students seemed to make rather dull points, but at least I didn't see any gunners.

I feel good about my decision, although I'll ride one wait list, there really is no place quite like Notre Dame.
Again, I, or everyone I talked to, feel sorry that they made the 0Ls sit through Juris; it is not a popular class at all and is quite hard to gun in Juris per se.

Usually, you will have a few gunners in your class, and after a few weeks of class, you will know who they are. But I would say students are perhaps less cut throat at ND than some other schools because ND do not rank students. In social settings, people are all very nice.

Mozart Lacrimosa

Bronze

Post by Mozart Lacrimosa » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:13 pm

When you say ND doesn't rank, that means there's not a public file of people's standing right? Do you still know if you stand top10% or top 25%?

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:19 pm

Mozart Lacrimosa wrote:When you say ND doesn't rank, that means there's not a public file of people's standing right? Do you still know if you stand top10% or top 25%?
It does not rank as in it does not rank, it will not be on your transcript. They publish GPA average but that's it. So I guess you will know if you are around the 50%. I think you would know if you are the top 15 GPA of your class since that is one factor for law review. Other than that, there is no way to tell what your ranking is. ND Law does Latin Honors by GPA cutoffs, not ranking.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Effingham

Bronze

Post by Effingham » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:30 pm

if you're crafty you can find out your rank pretty directly, but you can't do anything with it so it's not all that valuable.

Mozart Lacrimosa

Bronze

Post by Mozart Lacrimosa » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:33 pm

So employers will only see your transcript and say 'John Doe has a 3.4, looks good. Bring him in.'

Calbears123

Bronze

Post by Calbears123 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:35 pm

Haha I thought that Juris class was pretty interesting, but maybe I just like those "political philosophy" type classes.

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:35 pm

Mozart Lacrimosa wrote:So employers will only see your transcript and say 'John Doe has a 3.4, looks good. Bring him in.'
Exactly. Also a 3.4 would get you Cum Laude.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mozart Lacrimosa

Bronze

Post by Mozart Lacrimosa » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:40 pm

Bears: classes like that make me wonder why I'm spending money to not even get a straight answer. That prof was ballin though.

Kyle: thanks for clearing that up. That is significantly different than what I thought.

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:41 pm

Mozart Lacrimosa wrote:Bears: classes like that make me wonder why I'm spending money to not even get a straight answer. That prof was ballin though.

Kyle: thanks for clearing that up. That is significantly different than what I thought.
Pojo is a great prof. Juris is just not an enjoyable class regardless of who is teaching it.

As a side, he clerked for John Roberts and Kennedy. And people wonder why ND has such a great Fed Clerkship placement... lots of the prof clerked for Supreme Court if not CoA.
Last edited by kyle010723 on Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mozart Lacrimosa

Bronze

Post by Mozart Lacrimosa » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:42 pm

Could we go back to the cali/portability point. I get that it's a top state for ND but what does that mean for someone with no ties. If someone did a summer there and stayed in touch with employers throughout, would that bring them on level footing in cali?

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:45 pm

Mozart Lacrimosa wrote:Could we go back to the cali/portability point. I get that it's a top state for ND but what does that mean for someone with no ties. If someone did a summer there and stayed in touch with employers throughout, would that bring them on level footing in cali?
That means if you are from Cali, you have a good chance of going home. If you do not have any tie, you have a "chance" because many ND lawyers are in Cali, but you will really need to sell your story as to why Cali.

Once you secured a summer there, I think that would really increase your chance to sell that story.

Again, for someone that is dead set on a location, a local school is always a good option.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mozart Lacrimosa

Bronze

Post by Mozart Lacrimosa » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:50 pm

kyle010723 wrote:
Mozart Lacrimosa wrote:Could we go back to the cali/portability point. I get that it's a top state for ND but what does that mean for someone with no ties. If someone did a summer there and stayed in touch with employers throughout, would that bring them on level footing in cali?
That means if you are from Cali, you have a good chance of going home. If you do not have any tie, you have a "chance" because many ND lawyers are in Cali, but you will really need to sell your story as to why Cali.

Once you secured a summer there, I think that would really increase your chance to sell that story.

Again, for someone that is dead set on a location, a local school is always a good option.
Got it. No I like ND because I'm likely staying in the midwest but after doing some research I feel like Cali may become attractive. In which case it seems like the door is left open a crack. To clarify I'm 90% set on staying in Chi/Detroit area.

thomch05

New

Post by thomch05 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:51 pm

Also deposited today. Kyle, how hard is it to get one of those rector positions 2L 3L years, that sounded like a good deal to me..

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:53 pm

Mozart Lacrimosa wrote: Got it. No I like ND because I'm likely staying in the midwest but after doing some research I feel like Cali may become attractive. In which case it seems like the door is left open a crack. To clarify I'm 90% set on staying in Chi/Detroit area.
I think a majority of students came here because they want Chicago or their home market (usually CA). But unlike other regional schools, if you strike out in the midwest, you can still look for jobs elsewhere. Or to put it in a more positive spin, it opens other doors that you were not expecting.

For instance, I came here wanting Chicago, but I will be heading to the East Coast after grad.

Re: Rector, I know many many law students that are ARs, and the university seems to like law students as ARs, but I have no more details as to how competitive it is to apply.

thomch05

New

Post by thomch05 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:04 pm

Word thanks

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Calbears123

Bronze

Post by Calbears123 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:10 pm

Mozart Lacrimosa wrote:Bears: classes like that make me wonder why I'm spending money to not even get a straight answer. That prof was ballin though.

Haha true I agree

bob311

Bronze

Post by bob311 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:55 am

Sent in deposit! (will wait out my t14 waitlists though).

When do people start getting housing in South Bend, specifically for off campus?

Bilka

Bronze

Post by Bilka » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:47 pm

Sat in on a property class this week - some guy was playing age of empires for an hour. Why even go to class?

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:01 pm

Bilka wrote:Sat in on a property class this week - some guy was playing age of empires for an hour. Why even go to class?
lol, it used to be Candy Crush Saga. Probably show up to class just in case the prof calls on him.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”