USC (Gould) c/o 2018 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Which doctrinal courses have you been assigned for the Fall term?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:01 pm

(1) Civ Pro, Torts, Contracts
30%
(2) Civ Pro, Con Law, Contracts
40%
(3) Civ Pro, Torts, Con Law
30%

Total votes: 10

FlyingNorth

Bronze

Re: USC (Gould) c/o 2018

Post by FlyingNorth » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:02 pm

LawsRUs wrote:It kind of took two months to get mine. :lol:
Yikes.
LawsRUs wrote:Did you guys make the second deposit yet?
Not yet. I don't know why I'm delaying.

Polymorphic

New

Post by Polymorphic » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:03 pm

Any ideas on what the medians are going to be for the Class of 2018?
Specifically the LSAT median?

With the continued drop in LSAT test takers and applications recently I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts or insight into whether USC will likely maintain their 166 median or if it is likely to see a slight drop?

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:09 pm

166, with a class size smaller than 200.

My guess is from looking at lsn earlier, deans at receptions, and a wave of full rides close to the first deposit deadline for TLSers who had a 166 LSAT.

hannnahbb

New

Post by hannnahbb » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:27 am

LawsRUs wrote:166, with a class size smaller than 200.

My guess is from looking at lsn earlier, deans at receptions, and a wave of full rides close to the first deposit deadline for TLSers who had a 166 LSAT.
hey, just wondering how you know about the class size, did this come from an admissions official?

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:31 am

hannnahbb wrote:

hey, just wondering how you know about the class size, did this come from an admissions official?
It was announced at at least two regional receptions for admitted students.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hannnahbb

New

Post by hannnahbb » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:32 am

LawsRUs wrote:
hannnahbb wrote:

oh i see, that's very good news. thanks!

still

Bronze

Post by still » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:46 am

got in off the WL a few days ago and am gonna make an impromptu visit to the school on monday

judging from this thread and the usc acceptances thread they do not negotiate scholarships unless you have convinced them you are committed to some degree. can anyone verify/clarify this observation?

also since i'm going in pretty much blind (did not do much homework about usc) who is the best person to talk to about nitty gritty details? like employment transparency stuff?

thx

FlyingNorth

Bronze

Post by FlyingNorth » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:04 pm

still wrote:got in off the WL a few days ago and am gonna make an impromptu visit to the school on monday
Congrats on the acceptance
still wrote:judging from this thread and the usc acceptances thread they do not negotiate scholarships unless you have convinced them you are committed to some degree. can anyone verify/clarify this observation?
I had no luck negotiating my scholarship and I was almost fully committed when I reached out to them
still wrote:also since i'm going in pretty much blind (did not do much homework about usc) who is the best person to talk to about nitty gritty details? like employment transparency stuff?
Laws can probably answer this one for you, but just check out http://weblaw.usc.edu/careers/statistics/ for employment stats

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:07 pm

(^^ Yep I pmed still.)
---
FlyingNorth is our OP now! If you guys are attending and you don't see your username on the first page OR if you've decided not to attend and would like your name taken down, he'll take care of it from now on. (Thanks FN!)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FlyingNorth

Bronze

Post by FlyingNorth » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:24 pm

Cheers, Laws.

Yeah, like she said, I'll be taking over for the next few months. PM me or drop your name in the thread if you'll be attending. I'll add a jersey with your name and number of your choice to the OP.

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:27 pm

:lol:

HalfStudent

Bronze

Post by HalfStudent » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:50 pm

Polymorphic wrote:Any ideas on what the medians are going to be for the Class of 2018?

With the continued drop in LSAT test takers and applications recently I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts or insight into whether USC will likely maintain their 166 median or if it is likely to see a slight drop?

They can't really control their medians because if others started admitting tons of people from their waitlist the medians can tumble easily. I predict 166 with a gpa between 3.70-3.75 and class size between 165-180 but I wouldn't be shocked if it went down to 165 given the hordes of people UCLA and Georgetown are admitting of their waitlist(they really missed in the first round). And of course WUSTL being desperate to keep their numbers they are throwing full scholarships at high LSAT/low GPA splitters.

hannnahbb

New

Post by hannnahbb » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:38 pm

LawsRUs wrote:(^^ Yep I pmed still.)
---
FlyingNorth is our OP now! If you guys are attending and you don't see your username on the first page OR if you've decided not to attend and would like your name taken down, he'll take care of it from now on. (Thanks FN!)
Laws could you PM me this info too pleease? I was also admitted recently and am seriously considering attending, thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Shema

New

Post by Shema » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:16 pm

hannnahbb wrote:
LawsRUs wrote:
hannnahbb wrote:

Last year, the dean made this same promise of a class under 200. However, on the day of orientation the class size was proudly announced, as I remember, at 209. I could be wrong about the exact number but it was higher than what was promised. In the end several students drop out first semester and relatively speaking Gould's class size is still small.

aharri79

New

Post by aharri79 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:28 pm

Haha these jerseys are epic.

HalfStudent

Bronze

Post by HalfStudent » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:37 pm

Shema wrote:
hannnahbb wrote:
LawsRUs wrote:
hannnahbb wrote:

Last year, the dean made this same promise of a class under 200. However, on the day of orientation the class size was proudly announced, as I remember, at 209. I could be wrong about the exact number but it was higher than what was promised. In the end several students drop out first semester and relatively speaking Gould's class size is still small.
Last year there were many more applicants, they won't come close to 200 with the same LSAT/medians this year.

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:47 pm

aharri79 wrote:Haha these jerseys are epic.
+1. :lol: :lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Polymorphic

New

Post by Polymorphic » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:52 pm

HalfStudent wrote:
Polymorphic wrote:Any ideas on what the medians are going to be for the Class of 2018?

They can't really control their medians because if others started admitting tons of people from their waitlist the medians can tumble easily. I predict 166 with a gpa between 3.70-3.75 and class size between 165-180 but I wouldn't be shocked if it went down to 165 given the hordes of people UCLA and Georgetown are admitting of their waitlist(they really missed in the first round). And of course WUSTL being desperate to keep their numbers they are throwing full scholarships at high LSAT/low GPA splitters.
Having said that, if my LSAT was a 166 would that give me leverage to negotiate a scholarship increase at this point in the cycle?

Or could they just easily replace my score with someone from their waitlist?

HalfStudent

Bronze

Post by HalfStudent » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:25 pm

Polymorphic wrote:
HalfStudent wrote:

Having said that, if my LSAT was a 166 would that give me leverage to negotiate a scholarship increase at this point in the cycle?

Or could they just easily replace my score with someone from their waitlist?
I don't know because it's hard to tell how many committed people they have. They lost quite a few to other schools but they could have had a nice surplus, WL activity isn't that high yet for USC going by LSN. They could get someone from the waitlist, but how many will they need ff more leave for other schools?

FlyingNorth

Bronze

Post by FlyingNorth » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:28 pm

Did everyone receive the following message from the Dean of Students re: Orientation?
Kyle Jones wrote:Please be aware that new student Orientation is scheduled for Wednesday, August 19, Thursday, August 20 and Friday, August 21. Attendance for all three days of Orientation will be mandatory for incoming students. While we have not yet finalized the specific times for our Orientation events, you should plan to be available from 8:30 am until 5:30 pm on Wednesday and Thursday, and from 8:00 am until 1:30 pm on Friday.

In the next few weeks, I will be posting a “Summer Checklist” on the New Student Portal. The Summer Checklist is a list of enrollment tasks that should be completed before you arrive for Orientation. I anticipate that the Summer Checklist will be posted to our website very soon. I will notify you when that has happened.
I checked out the myLaw portal and found some stuff posted for orientation, under "Student Services" top right box. Looks like we have an assignment..

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:21 pm

^^ Yeah, I got the same message.

I just skimmed the documents, and. . I'm definitely not doing them until August.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Polymorphic

New

Post by Polymorphic » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:31 am

Do you think USC will be pulling a good number of people from their waitlist this year?

And if so, would that likely happen right after the 2nd seat deposit deadline?

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:53 pm

Polymorphic wrote:Do you think USC will be pulling a good number of people from their waitlist this year?

And if so, would that likely happen right after the 2nd seat deposit deadline?
There doesn't seem to be a lot of WL activity so far at SC, but there might be once we have more WL admits at T14.

For reference: http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/coming ... -movement/.

HalfStudent

Bronze

Post by HalfStudent » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:22 pm

That was from may, a lot of t-14s had already admitted people of their waitlist including from USC earlier this month for sure but USC must have had a pretty nice surplus.

dustybottoms7

New

Post by dustybottoms7 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:29 pm

anyone know when the class schedule/assignments are released?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”