USC (Gould) c/o 2018

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Which doctrinal courses have you been assigned for the Fall term?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:01 pm

(1) Civ Pro, Torts, Contracts
30%
(2) Civ Pro, Con Law, Contracts
40%
(3) Civ Pro, Torts, Con Law
30%

Total votes: 10

MikeJD

Re: USC (Gould) c/o 2018

Postby MikeJD » Fri May 01, 2015 5:33 pm

chimp wrote:spoiler alert: LawsRUS is actually a David Kirschner alt

That would be such a disappointment if true :twisted:

KMart

Postby KMart » Fri May 01, 2015 6:39 pm

MikeJD wrote:

It's not.

Postby 071816 » Fri May 01, 2015 7:02 pm

KMart wrote:
MikeJD wrote:

It's not.

tough crowd

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Fri May 01, 2015 7:57 pm

Yeah chimp, this thread goes up and down. I actually thought it was v funny.

Yea All Right

Postby Yea All Right » Fri May 01, 2015 9:00 pm

It took a long time for my shirt to arrive last year and I lived right off-campus lol. It was all vacuum-sealed in plastic if I remember correctly.

UCLAHopeful2015

Postby UCLAHopeful2015 » Fri May 01, 2015 9:08 pm

Yea All Right wrote:It took a long time for my shirt to arrive last year and I lived right off-campus lol. It was all vacuum-sealed in plastic if I remember correctly.

Yeah it had some intense packaging

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Fri May 01, 2015 10:26 pm

Did anyone else make the seat deposit deadline today, or is this our final list?

c/o 2018 attending
bubbles139
cantreadgood
fishbulb
LawsRUs
MonkeyKT (maybe)
UCLAHopeful2015
+mieko (no longer active? Are you still on here, mieko?)
+pineappleman (?) (to be confirmed)

I think we lost mec and spencer. . :|

mieko

Postby mieko » Fri May 01, 2015 11:24 pm

LawsRUs wrote:Did anyone else make the seat deposit deadline today, or is this our final list?

c/o 2018 attending
bubbles139
cantreadgood
fishbulb
LawsRUs
MonkeyKT (maybe)
UCLAHopeful2015

hi sorry for disappearing but yes I'm attending USC!! thanks for bringing us all together Laws :)

UCLAHopeful2015

Postby UCLAHopeful2015 » Fri May 01, 2015 11:44 pm

LawsRUs wrote:Did anyone else make the seat deposit deadline today, or is this our final list?

c/o 2018 attending
bubbles139
cantreadgood
fishbulb
LawsRUs
MonkeyKT (maybe)
UCLAHopeful2015

so exciting! cant wait to meet all of you!!

spencercross

Postby spencercross » Sat May 02, 2015 6:36 pm

c/o 2018 attending
bubbles139
cantreadgood
fishbulb
LawsRUs
MonkeyKT (maybe)
UCLAHopeful2015

Yeah, sorry. Was kind of hoping for a last minute unsolicited bump, but looks like I'm headed elsewhere. Best of luck at USC everyone!
Last edited by spencercross on Sun May 03, 2015 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Sat May 02, 2015 6:39 pm

@spencer, sorry we had to lose you; good luck to you as well!

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Sun May 03, 2015 4:08 am

http://weblaw.usc.edu/how/visit/walkingtour/ *

CLINICAL PROGRAMS

The clinical programs are as follows:

Small Business Clinic - The USC Law Small Business Clinic (SBC) provides basic corporate legal assistance to small businesses, entrepreneurs and non-profit organizations that cannot afford to pay market rates for legal services. The purpose of the SBC is to give students hands-on experience handling transactional legal problems while providing assistance to small business owners in the greater Los Angeles area. The SBC provides an opportunity for these businesses to implement legal protections and business structures available within our legal system and to obtain guidance in complying with a variety of legal requirements, even though many of these businesses are not able to afford the high costs of business legal services.

Intellectual Property and Technology Law Clinic - The Intellectual Property & Technology Law Clinic provides law students with the opportunity to immerse themselves in cutting-edge issues in the intellectual property and technology field, from patent and copyright to privacy and free speech on the internet. In the IP & Tech Clinic, clinic interns directly represent clients, practice professional responsibility, develop advocacy skills, and counsel on substantive and procedural matters relating to their projects. As the fields in intellectual property and technology are wide-ranging, so are the multitude of projects the clinic takes on. Current projects include: fair use analysis for documentary filmmakers, analysis of intellectual property law for individuals and institutions in the developing world, an amicus brief filed with the Supreme Court regarding patentable subject matter for a collection of mobile app developers, and research regarding reporter's privilege for lawyers and judicial entities. Recent past projects have included: a seminar on fair use documentary filmmakers, an amicus brief on educational fair use for professors, and comments with various regulatory agencies regarding patent law, orphan works and mass digitization, and implementation of new patent laws. The IP & Tech Clinic presents a unique combination of real world experience and exposure to the most pressing, dynamic, and challenging issues we face in the digital age. As such, students routinely report that the Clinic was their best experience in law school.

Mediation Clinic - The Mediation Clinic was created by Professor Lisa Klerman to give students hands on experience with what many view as the essential task of lawyering - helping people solve problems creatively, effectively, and efficiently. In the Mediation Clinic, students learn the dispute resolution skills required to become professional mediators. By the end of the semester, they will have applied and developed these skills by mediating six or more Los Angeles County Superior Court cases. Unlike traditional litigation clinics where students learn to use the law to advocate for one side in a dispute, as mediators, the students do not represent one side or the other. Instead, they are third party neutrals who act as facilitators to help the parties craft a resolution to their lawsuit. USC Gould School of Law was recently selected by the Ninth Circuit Judicial Council's Alternative Dispute Resolution committee as the winner of the 2011 ADR Award. The award recognizes institutions that have advanced alternative dispute resolution scholarship and teaching.

Immigration Clinic - Students in the Immigration clinic provide pro bono representation to clients in a variety of immigration cases including asylum, applications for relief under the Violence Against Women Act, and other applications for relief from removal. Many of the clients who are seeking asylum are victims of torture, including rape and other forms of severe violence. In some cases, the client's life or freedom is at stake. Asylum cases comprise the majority of the Immigration Clinic's docket of 80-90 open cases. Currently the clinic is representing clients from over 25 different countries. Most come from Africa; others are from Mexico, the Middle East, Europe and South and Central America.

International Human Rights Law Clinic - The International Human Rights Clinic gives students the opportunity to work on projects and cases, both local and international, which confront the most pressing human rights concerns of our day. Under the supervision of Clinic Director Professor Hannah Garry, students seek justice on behalf of victims, hold perpetrators of serious human rights abuses accountable and work towards progressive development of the law. Through this experience, students acquire knowledge and skills for effective international lawyering and human rights advocacy while supporting the critical work of human rights advocates and organizations worldwide. The clinic has added a variety of domestic work to its legal docket, including representing human trafficking survivors, working with the U.S. Department of Justice and providing legal analysis for a Supreme Court case. It is also expanding its global reach through a new partnership with the Special Tribunal for Lebanon--the first to try terrorism as an international crime and the first with respect to the Middle East. Clinic students work on cases involving some of history's worst international crimes: the Cambodian Killing Fields of the 1970s; the Rwandan genocide of 1994; and atrocities committed during the Balkan wars of the 1990s.

Post-Conviction Justice Project - Students in the Post-Conviction Justice Project represent two classes of clients: 1) Inmates at the California Institution for Women (CIW) who are serving indeterminate life terms for first or second-degree murder and are eligible for parole, and 2) juvenile offenders sentenced to life-without-possibility-of-parole. For the inmates at CIW, the students handle parole hearings - they visit the client in prison to prepare her to testify at the hearing, they collect information favoring a grant of parole and file a written submission, and they conduct the hearing - including questioning, objections, and a closing argument. Students also litigate habeas petitions challenging denials of parole by the parole board and reversals of parole grants by the Governor where the denial/reversal is arbitrary and capricious in violation of due process. The Project has been on the forefront of the representation of survivors of domestic abuse whose crimes stemmed from the abuse prior to the time when expert testimony on intimate partner battering (formerly Battered Women's Syndrome) was admissible in court. For the Project's juvenile life-without-parole clients, students litigate petitions for writ of habeas corpus in state and federal courts seeking resentencing. These cases involve extensive case investigation, developing expert witnesses, and legal research and writing. The constitutionality of juvenile life without parole is a quickly evolving area of the law, and students have the unique opportunity to create law by working on these cases. The Project is also involved in juvenile justice advocacy at the state legislative level. This advocacy work paid off in 2012 when Governor Brown signed into law the clinic-driven SB9, codified at Penal Code Section 1170(d)(2) that allows most inmates serving juvenile life without parole to petition the court for a resentencing hearing. Clinical students perform extensive investigations into the backgrounds of these clients (interviewing clients, interviewing family and friends, collecting relevant documents) to present at resentencing hearings. To see the most recent PCJP win, please click here.

THE LAW REVIEW is open to students starting in their 2nd year. Approximately 35 positions are available, and staff members are selected on the basis of academic achievement during their first year, as well as their performance in the Write-On, a writing competition that takes place after the end of the first year. Their grades are weighted against their Write-On scores to form a composite score, and the students with the highest composite scores are invited to join the staff. The write-on competition is generally held the first two weeks following the end of each academic year.

The law school hosts 3 journals:

The Southern California Law Review strives to publish articles on a wide range of topics and to serve all segments of the legal community. They publish one volume produced as six separate issues between November and September. Each issue contains several articles written by outside contributors, in addition to notes written by Southern California Law Review staff members.

The Southern California Interdisciplinary Law Journal has a commitment to an interdisciplinary approach to legal scholarship. The issues reflect the relationship between law and various other disciplines, including the social and physical sciences, philosophy, economics, business, and the arts. They publish 3 issues each academic year with articles and student notes.

The Southern California Review of Law & Social Justice promotes the discussion and examination of issues lying at the intersection of social justice and the law. It publishes legal narratives and analyses of case law and legislation that address the law's instrument of positive social change.

* May contain some outdated information.

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Sun May 03, 2015 4:11 am

@mieko, I pm-ed you!
---
For virtual tour: http://weblaw.usc.edu/how/visit/maps/index.cfm.

supersplittysplitter

Postby supersplittysplitter » Sun May 03, 2015 9:19 pm

kinda random question but how does housing work for 2Ls and 3Ls? Terrace is only for 1Ls right?

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Sun May 03, 2015 9:37 pm

supersplittysplitter wrote:kinda random question but how does housing work for 2Ls and 3Ls? Terrace is only for 1Ls right?

Hey. So--

USC Gould offers graduate housing on a limited basis to incoming law students. Our Terrace Law Housing program provides space for 40 incoming JD law students each year. Students are assigned to a two bedroom apartment, with each student having his/her own bedroom. As we admit 200 students on average per class, about a quarter of candidates are selected for housing at Terrace. Only admitted students are eligible to apply for the housing program

http://weblaw.usc.edu/how/jd/faq.cfm

1. There are other graduate on-campus housing options, if you like that feel. But lots of housing options in DTLA, KTown, Culver City/Palms, Los Feliz, etc. Off-campus will probably be cheaper as well.
2. Yep, my understanding is that Terrace is only for 1Ls.

Are you still deciding / have deposited?

pineappleman

Postby pineappleman » Mon May 04, 2015 1:59 pm

Yup seat deposited Friday. Ucla undergrad also

UCLAHopeful2015

Postby UCLAHopeful2015 » Mon May 04, 2015 2:12 pm

pineappleman wrote:Yup seat deposited Friday. Ucla undergrad also

Yay a fellow Brojan!

dustybottoms7

Postby dustybottoms7 » Mon May 04, 2015 3:39 pm

has anyone had luck with university housing other than terrace?

goden

Postby goden » Mon May 04, 2015 4:24 pm

you should live in terrace, it's where all the chill sociable bros live

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Mon May 04, 2015 4:34 pm

goden wrote:you should live in terrace, it's where all the chill sociable bros live

^^ Yea, this, also that you'll be on a final exam schedule different from other graduate students. DB7, do you need help finding housing? You can also ask JPell or WP, they are a really great resource: 3L AMA.
---
@paman, welcome! I put your username on OP. If you want to represent USC, you can also post your decision in this thread: c/o 2018 Destinations. I think we might have a record number if there are at least seven TLSers on there.

supersplittysplitter

Postby supersplittysplitter » Mon May 04, 2015 4:53 pm

Is the lottery for rooms in Terrace completely random? Or are spots assigned in the order that people submitted their applications?

dustybottoms7

Postby dustybottoms7 » Mon May 04, 2015 6:11 pm

goden wrote:you should live in terrace, it's where all the chill sociable bros live

is it so wrong to want my own place? haha if only terrace offered that...

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Mon May 04, 2015 6:29 pm

Popular Neighborhoods for Housing for Law Students and Miles to USC
Sources: First Year Housing Guide, Commuting and Public Transportation, Housing and Neighborhoods - Description and Commute from Campus, Patrol Area Map, GoogleMaps

(I hope this helps on your housing search! Also, please let me know if I missed something or if I got something wrong. Thanks..)

eta: @SSS, you should ask current students or grads in the 3L AMA thread, I'm sure they can help you.

bubbles139

Postby bubbles139 » Mon May 04, 2015 8:37 pm

dustybottoms7 wrote:

is it so wrong to want my own place? haha if only terrace offered that...

Not at all! lol i just signed a lease on a one bed one bath because my own place = sanity hopefully >.< also cuz i'm tired of living with a million other people haha

FlyingNorth

Postby FlyingNorth » Tue May 05, 2015 7:04 pm

Officially checking in.

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”