USC (Gould) c/o 2018

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Which doctrinal courses have you been assigned for the Fall term?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:01 pm

(1) Civ Pro, Torts, Contracts
30%
(2) Civ Pro, Con Law, Contracts
40%
(3) Civ Pro, Torts, Con Law
30%

Total votes: 10

spencercross

Re: USC (Gould) c/o 2018

Postby spencercross » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:27 pm

LawsRUs wrote:
spencercross wrote:
LawsRUs wrote:@spencer, you should totally go for it! I know you'd rather attend USC than *cough* *cough* some other school.

Haha. Believe it or not, I'm currently deposited at Davis (but still debating USC/UCI). The other one *cough* *cough* is officially a not happening.

1. Did you deposit at this *cough" *cough" school?
2. If you didn't, were you motivated by financial reasons, or was there something else?
(Feel free to pm. Thanks.)

Haha. No, I didn't deposit. It was purely financial. Their offer was $70k+ lower than my next lowest, and that's including need-based aid which is subject to change. Even accounting for tuition differences, my total indebtedness there at graduation would be $60k more than USC, and that's financing only tuition and fees, no living expenses or books! I have zero interest in big money biglaw jobs and close to 20 years less career ahead of me to pay off debt. There's just no way for me to make that work.
Last edited by spencercross on Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeJD

Postby MikeJD » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:46 pm

I got the impression UCLA wants to enroll as many off their waitlist at sticker as possible. Basically people who have no leverage to negotiate cash. UC Irvine wants to increase their class size but maintain their medians and without increasing aid. USC wants to decrease class size but maintain or increase medians which is hard.

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:18 pm

I just heard a full jazz band play, and it was open to the public. I think I kind of still love life. :D :D

mec, where are you? Are you lurking, or have you gone away? Are you not matriculating next fall? I'm fearing for your safety. I feel like someone has kidnapped you, or something close. :( :(

pm me if you are still alive

HalfStudent

Postby HalfStudent » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:34 pm

LawsRUs wrote:I just heard a full jazz band play, and it was open to the public. I think I kind of still love life. :D :D

mec, where are you? Are you lurking, or have you gone away? Are you not matriculating next fall? I'm fearing for your safety. I feel like someone has kidnapped you, or something close. :( :(

pm me if you are still alive

If you look at history of posts, they are all deleted.. That means he is out for good from these forums, don't know if he/she is matriculating. I suspect he/she probably is but is trying to stay anonymous.

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:41 pm

HalfStudent wrote:If you look at history of posts, they are all deleted.. That means he is out for good from these forums, don't know if he/she is matriculating. I suspect he/she probably is but is trying to stay anonymous.

Oh no!! BUT WHYYY!!! mec was my favorite potential classmate. I will find out the reason that caused this, and I will get angry. :evil: :evil:

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:43 pm

Also, Gray is doing a swag thing in the c/o 2018 Destinations thread for people with over 500 posts. Get your 500 posts in this thread. I want everyone who's attending USC to have a swag.

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:08 pm

Re: 1L Elective

So Con Law is no longer a part of the required curriculum? Instead we could take either Fundamentals of Business or Legal Profession?

bubbles139

Postby bubbles139 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:15 pm

LawsRUs wrote:Re: 1L Elective

So Con Law is no longer a part of the required curriculum? Instead we could take either Fundamentals of Business or Legal Profession?

Wait, Laws, where are you getting this from?? how is Con Law not part of the required curriculum?? #Confused

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:17 pm

bubbles139 wrote:

Wait, Laws, where are you getting this from?? how is Con Law not part of the required curriculum?? #Confused

bubblez, did you get an email when you reserved your scholarship or paid the deposit?

bubbles139

Postby bubbles139 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:27 pm

LawsRUs wrote:
bubbles139 wrote:

bubblez, did you get an email when you reserved your scholarship or paid the deposit?

I got that we could have the electives, their descriptions and all that, I just didn't see that Con Law was no longer required >.<

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:29 pm

bubbles139 wrote:I got that we could have the electives, their descriptions and all that, I just didn't see that Con Law was no longer required >.<

Yea, that was what I was confused about because

1. The email says, "Our third new elective is an introduction to Constitutional Rights law."
2. But on the school website, it still lists Con Law as required 1L class.

Contradictions, why?!?! :evil:

eta: Now I'm really confused because Legal Professions is already req'd. http://weblaw.usc.edu/why/academics/cur ... iculum.cfm
Last edited by LawsRUs on Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bubbles139

Postby bubbles139 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:36 pm

LawsRUs wrote:
bubbles139 wrote:I got that we could have the electives, their descriptions and all that, I just didn't see that Con Law was no longer required >.<

1. The email says, "Our third new elective is an introduction to Constitutional Rights law."

Maybe constitutional rights and constitutional law are two different things? Like one is a general class and the other is more focused on certain rights that get brought up more frequently in court?? obviously totally guessing

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:39 pm

bubbles139 wrote:
LawsRUs wrote:

Maybe constitutional rights and constitutional law are two different things? Like one is a general class and the other is more focused on certain rights that get brought up more frequently in court?? obviously totally guessing

Oh, you are right, bubblez. I didn't see that it was Con RIGHTS. Like DPC and EPC, more focus on the amendments and individual rights, I'm guessing?

~Boring stuff~

eta: So I'm going to guess that Legal Profession is not required anymore, and they are turning it into an elective? And we get to choose from those three classes?

UCLAHopeful2015

Postby UCLAHopeful2015 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:47 pm

LawsRUs wrote:
bubbles139 wrote:
LawsRUs wrote:

Oh, you are right, bubblez. I didn't see that it was Con RIGHTS. Like DPC and EPC, more focus on the amendments and individual rights, I'm guessing?

~Boring stuff~

eta: So I'm going to guess that Legal Profession is not required anymore, and they are turning it into an elective? And we get to choose from those three classes?

I think Legal Profession is still required, but not necessarily during 1L as it was before they added the elective options

bubbles139

Postby bubbles139 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:48 pm

LawsRUs wrote:
bubbles139 wrote:
LawsRUs wrote:

~Boring stuff~

I mean maybe it's still required and we get to choose when to take it, leg up if we take if the first year? questionable lol I'm kind of interested in the fundamentals of business class though, mostly cuz i know nothing of business haha

UCLAHopeful2015

Postby UCLAHopeful2015 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:03 pm

From what my 1l friends tell me, legal profession is filled with a lot of common sense info (granted common sense isn't so common nowadays)

I'm with you on the fund of business class lol, sounds interesting and very applicable even if not doing business law

spencercross

Postby spencercross » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:19 pm

I'm pretty sure the idea is that each is supposed to be useful in prepping you for a certain career path:

Fundamentals of Business -> biglaw/transactional/business law
Legal Profession -> PI
Constitutional Rights-> gov't/academia

UCLAHopeful2015

Postby UCLAHopeful2015 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:20 pm

Only 430 more posts until I get swag on the destinations thread :roll:

UCLAHopeful2015

Postby UCLAHopeful2015 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:24 pm

spencercross wrote:I'm pretty sure the idea is that each is supposed to be useful in prepping you for a certain career path:

Fundamentals of Business -> biglaw/transactional/business law
Legal Profession -> PI
Constitutional Rights-> gov't/academia

Yeah absolutely. I'm very happy they're doing this

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:03 pm

@SC is right on, but what is it replacing?!?! If we have to take another class on top of the current 1L curriculum, that'd be terrible.

Are you guyz applying for any external scholarships?

UCLAHopeful2015

Postby UCLAHopeful2015 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:12 pm

LawsRUs wrote:@SC is right on, but what is it replacing?!?! If we have to take another class on top of the current 1L curriculum, that'd be terrible.

I've been looking all over for any that apply to me. Most of the ones I've seen are for some sort of minority that I dont fall under :/

Also, whats the best route to take for loans? Federal?

spencercross

Postby spencercross » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:20 pm

LawsRUs wrote:@SC is right on, but what is it replacing?!?! If we have to take another class on top of the current 1L curriculum, that'd be terrible.

I'm guessing Legal Profession is no longer required, and instead they're replacing it with these three electives which are essentially specialized Legal Profession classes for each career track.

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:30 pm

UCLAHopeful2015 wrote:Also, whats the best route to take for loans? Federal?

Yeah, I'm doing fed loans, which seem to have the lowest interest rates.

Also where have you looked for external scollies? I won one yesterday, but it's only $1k. I'm grateful, but it won't cover even my books for next year.

UCLAHopeful2015

Postby UCLAHopeful2015 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:38 pm

LawsRUs wrote:
UCLAHopeful2015 wrote:Also, whats the best route to take for loans? Federal?

Yeah, I'm doing fed loans, which seem to have the lowest interest rates.

Also where have you looked for external scollies? I won one yesterday, but it's only $1k. I'm grateful, but it won't cover even my books for next year.

I'm just trying to find something on the web via google, to no avail. 1k is still 1k that you wont have to pay back haha

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”