USC (Gould) c/o 2018

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Which doctrinal courses have you been assigned for the Fall term?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:01 pm

(1) Civ Pro, Torts, Contracts
30%
(2) Civ Pro, Con Law, Contracts
40%
(3) Civ Pro, Torts, Con Law
30%

Total votes: 10

LawsRUs

Re: USC (Gould) c/o 2018

Postby LawsRUs » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:00 am

Just for the record, it says that Law Day saw >130 students. http://weblaw.usc.edu/news/article.cfm?newsID=4189.
Also, check out the photos~! :wink: 8)

RubyRod

Postby RubyRod » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:20 am

UCLAHopeful2015 wrote:
LawsRUs wrote:
eta: I kind of want to reapply, I feel like I could have better options if I do. .

Yeah reapplying might be the way to go.. Applying early could get you a lot more money at the same school

I'm kind of in the same mindset. I could also do way better on the LSAT if I tried.

HalfStudent

Postby HalfStudent » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:57 pm

LawsRUs wrote:Just for the record, it says that Law Day saw >130 students. http://weblaw.usc.edu/news/article.cfm?newsID=4189.
Also, check out the photos~! :wink: 8)

130.. that's not the 200 it was being advertised.

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:16 pm

RubyRod wrote:
UCLAHopeful2015 wrote:
LawsRUs wrote:
eta: I kind of want to reapply, I feel like I could have better options if I do. .

Yeah reapplying might be the way to go.. Applying early could get you a lot more money at the same school

I'm kind of in the same mindset. I could also do way better on the LSAT if I tried.

Oh look we have a new person in the thread, welcome~~!!

KMart

Postby KMart » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:57 pm

Higher LSAT + a year of WE = better outcomes. Now's about the time where people start choosing this route.

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:15 pm

Still no t-shirt. . . .

Ver91

Postby Ver91 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:14 pm

Hi all! So I am 95% sure that USC is my law school. Is anyone for sure going? Where are people planning on living. Like the rest of y'all, tempting to reapply, but I have already been out two years and am ready to go back to school. Also, USC really impressed me at ASW, feel free to PM me if you weren't able to make it and have questions :)

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:20 pm

Ver91 wrote:Hi all! So I am 95% sure that USC is my law school. Is anyone for sure going? Where are people planning on living. Like the rest of y'all, tempting to reapply, but I have already been out two years and am ready to go back to school. Also, USC really impressed me at ASW, feel free to PM me if you weren't able to make it and have questions :)

Hi, Ver! I think we are in the exact same boat.
I've been looking at places in Culver, Koreatown, and near campus. I'm leaning toward some place near the campus. Still looking, but soo expensive.

Where have you guyz looked?

KMart

Postby KMart » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:28 pm

LawsRUs wrote:Still no t-shirt. . . .

Same, although I've given up hope on getting one now that I withdrew.

UCLAHopeful2015

Postby UCLAHopeful2015 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:31 pm

Guys... I'm going to decide tonight if I should retake the LSAT in June... welp

I scored 10 points lower on the December LSAT than I was scoring on my average PT :( Third times a charm?

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:37 pm

UCLAHopeful2015 wrote:Guys... I'm going to decide tonight if I should retake the LSAT in June... welp

I scored 10 points lower on the December LSAT than I was scoring on my average PT :( Third times a charm?

Brojan, do itttt! I retook for the third time even though I didn't study for it (studied maybe ~100 hours max), and did much better. If you scored 10 pts less, I would def go for it. Were you nervous? I was when I took it the first two times, but I wasn't when I retook it for the third time because I knew I had nothing to lose since I've gotten into several of my top choice schools.

GL~~

RubyRod

Postby RubyRod » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:54 pm

LawsRUs wrote:
UCLAHopeful2015 wrote:Guys... I'm going to decide tonight if I should retake the LSAT in June... welp

Brojan, do itttt! I retook for the third time even though I didn't study for it (studied maybe ~100 hours max), and did much better. If you scored 10 pts less, I would def go for it. Were you nervous? I was when I took it the first two times, but I wasn't when I retook it for the third time because I knew I had nothing to lose since I've gotten into several of my top choice schools.

GL~~

I only studied for about a month, maybe a month and a half before I took it for the first time in December. I know if I try harder/study longer over a period of time I'll do much better. I definitely felt I wasn't done studying by test day, but 169 was still pretty good so I just decided to apply.

UCLAHopeful2015

Postby UCLAHopeful2015 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:58 pm

RubyRod wrote:
LawsRUs wrote:

GL~~

I only studied for about a month, maybe a month and a half before I took it for the first time in December. I know if I try harder/study longer over a period of time I'll do much better. I definitely felt I wasn't done studying by test day, but 169 was still pretty good so I just decided to apply.

I really don't know, Ive taken every pt so I don't know what else I can do at this point for studying. This is so stressful

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:00 pm

UCLAHopeful2015 wrote:I really don't know, Ive taken every pt so I don't know what else I can do at this point for studying. This is so stressful

I think I did all the PTs except for maybe like 5. I just redid a couple of them, PT 65+. I think stress might have affected your performance on test day, it sounds like it. Plus, if you improve by a lot, you can reapply. Even if you improve a little, you can ask for more monies. If you don't improve, you're already in at USC. Nothing to lose, win-win.

KMart

Postby KMart » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:29 pm

LawsRUs wrote:I think I did all the PTs except for maybe like 5. I just redid a couple of them, PT 65+. I think stress might have affected your performance on test day, it sounds like it. Plus, if you improve by a lot, you can reapply. Even if you improve a little, you can ask for more monies. If you don't improve, you're already in at USC. Nothing to lose, win-win.

Laws is spot on here. If you have the ability and time to wing a LSAT, you can't lose.

RubyRod

Postby RubyRod » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:02 pm

KMart wrote:
LawsRUs wrote:I think I did all the PTs except for maybe like 5. I just redid a couple of them, PT 65+. I think stress might have affected your performance on test day, it sounds like it. Plus, if you improve by a lot, you can reapply. Even if you improve a little, you can ask for more monies. If you don't improve, you're already in at USC. Nothing to lose, win-win.

Laws is spot on here. If you have the ability and time to wing a LSAT, you can't lose.

Practice with the YouTube proctor video that has noises like sneezing and coughing in it with only your plastic bag of stuff. I get distracted by ambient noises so that was a really important part of my studying.

KMart

Postby KMart » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:05 pm

RubyRod wrote:Practice with the YouTube proctor video that has noises like sneezing and coughing in it with only your plastic bag of stuff. I get distracted by ambient noises so that was a really important part of my studying.

I took it at Northwestern when they were doing construction on the building next door. So remember to blast really loud construction noises periodically as well :lol:.

UCLAHopeful2015

Postby UCLAHopeful2015 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:15 pm

Thanks all for the tips/encouragement. I shall sign up for lsat pt 3 tonight with the hopes of increased scholly :mrgreen:

My love for this thread grows day by day :lol:

RubyRod

Postby RubyRod » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:34 pm

KMart wrote:
RubyRod wrote:Practice with the YouTube proctor video that has noises like sneezing and coughing in it with only your plastic bag of stuff. I get distracted by ambient noises so that was a really important part of my studying.

I took it at Northwestern when they were doing construction on the building next door. So remember to blast really loud construction noises periodically as well :lol:.

I can believe they didn't move it to another building on campus!

MikeJD

Postby MikeJD » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:48 pm

UCLAHopeful2015 wrote:Thanks all for the tips/encouragement. I shall sign up for lsat pt 3 tonight with the hopes of increased scholly :mrgreen:

That's a bad idea. If you get a much higher score you just not go to law school this cycle and reapply again for next year and get more money or be accepted at higher ranked schools. However keep in mind there was a major decline of 165 and above this cycle and according to Spivey it will likely be TOUGHER next year at higher ranked schools as there will likely be an increase in quality applicants.

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:12 pm

UCLAHopeful2015 wrote:My love for this thread grows day by day :lol:

+1. USC is doing a great job in picking whom to admit. I haven't met anyone who is admitted with whom I wouldn't mind going to school. I thought this "collegiality" was only rhetoric, but I'm starting to rethink it. Even the folks in the USC applicants thread seem nice. Meanwhile, people in other threads seem kind of impersonal/gunner-ish. (Not that this should substantially influence how we pick schools. I still think it's location + employment + scholarship.)

towit

Postby towit » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:26 pm

MikeJD wrote:
UCLAHopeful2015 wrote:Thanks all for the tips/encouragement. I shall sign up for lsat pt 3 tonight with the hopes of increased scholly :mrgreen:

That's a bad idea. If you get a much higher score you just not go to law school this cycle and reapply again for next year and get more money or be accepted at higher ranked schools. However keep in mind there was a major decline of 165 and above this cycle and according to Spivey it will likely be TOUGHER next year at higher ranked schools as there will likely be an increase in quality applicants.

I don't know if it's an outright bad idea, but I've been thinking along these lines too with respect to waiting for next cycle. Increases in high scoring LSAT applications could really offset any rewards of getting a marginally higher score, especially for a pretty sharp splitter like myself. I too keep fantasizing about taking the time to study even more intensely, getting more work experience, beefing up that personal statement, and having the dream cycle that we all hope for, but it could very well not work in your favor with increased competition if you don't manage to hit the homerun. The grass is always greener on the other side.

Then again I guess it's different for those of us who have the luxury of a salary to sit on and a stellar gpa ( :cry: ). It's also hard for me to justify sitting out after watching tuition raise year after year as well. I don't know. What do you all think?

Edit: No, I'm not getting cold feet just yet :lol:

UCLAHopeful2015

Postby UCLAHopeful2015 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:37 pm

MikeJD wrote:

Yeah I would definitely reapply if I were to do significantly better and I felt like my chances at a t-6 were to be very solid. Otherwise, I'm fairly happy with USC since I'm hoping to practice in LA when it's all said and done.

UCLAHopeful2015

Postby UCLAHopeful2015 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:45 pm

LawsRUs wrote:
UCLAHopeful2015 wrote:My love for this thread grows day by day :lol:

+1. USC is doing a great job in picking whom to admit. I haven't met anyone who is admitted with whom I wouldn't mind going to school. I thought this "collegiality" was only rhetoric, but I'm starting to rethink it. Even the folks in the USC applicants thread seem nice. Meanwhile, people in other threads seem kind of impersonal/gunner-ish. (Not that this should substantially influence how we pick schools. I still think it's location + employment + scholarship.)

+1

Yea All Right

Postby Yea All Right » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:42 pm

Not a Gould student but I went to SC for undergrad and loved it, if you have any questions about being a Trojan in general I may be able to answer 8)

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”