USC (Gould) c/o 2018

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Which doctrinal courses have you been assigned for the Fall term?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:01 pm

(1) Civ Pro, Torts, Contracts
30%
(2) Civ Pro, Con Law, Contracts
40%
(3) Civ Pro, Torts, Con Law
30%

Total votes: 10

HalfStudent

Re: USC (Gould) c/o 2018

Postby HalfStudent » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:38 pm

mec896 wrote:
UCLAHopeful2015 wrote:
LawsRUs wrote:
UCLAHopeful2015 wrote:That turned out to be a stupid question by me :oops:

I don't think it was a stupid question. Good to have these discussions about what a small class size can do for us.

:lol:

No stupid questions here. I wondered the same thing before. I really think USC is gunning to climb up the rankings ladder this year and will have a class size that allows an increase in their stats.

18 is where they have been until 2014. Others schools just rig the new criteria better but USC is doing the same thing now. USC will probably be 18 next year.

ub3r

Postby ub3r » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:01 pm

It's largely dependent on how much US News wants to scrutinize and punish schools with over inflated school funded job percentages. USC was a pretty harsh offender this year (which is what I think you were alluding to, Half).

HalfStudent

Postby HalfStudent » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:11 pm

ub3r wrote:It's largely dependent on how much US News wants to scrutinize and punish schools with over inflated school funded job percentages. USC was a pretty harsh offender this year (which is what I think you were alluding to, Half).

yeah and they were minor offenders compared to schools ranked ahead of them prior to this year. USC just joined the club this year. US news does not punish schools for school funded jobs, it rewards them..

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:14 pm

ub3r wrote:It's largely dependent on how much US News wants to scrutinize and punish schools with over inflated school funded job percentages. USC was a pretty harsh offender this year (which is what I think you were alluding to, Half).

I kind of expect this trend to continue due to EA. I've talked with someone on Law Day about this. The number published for 2014 ABA 509 for SFJ is less now because some of them got hired. Also, this someone informed me that they had decent jobs in the public sector, i.e. not shit law. pm for deets.

HalfStudent wrote:USC just joined the club this year.

RubyRod

Postby RubyRod » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:20 pm

Yeah I wouldn't say USC is worse than others really they are just falling in line with everyone else and it seems the new career services hire is going to make a huge impact.

UCLAHopeful2015

Postby UCLAHopeful2015 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:28 pm

HalfStudent wrote:

yeah and they were minor offenders compared to schools ranked ahead of them prior to this year. USC just joined the club this year. US news does not punish schools for school funded jobs, it rewards them..

I thought this years new criteria started to punish schools with a large % of SFJ? Regardless, do the rankings even matter?

RubyRod

Postby RubyRod » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:31 pm

UCLAHopeful2015 wrote:
HalfStudent wrote:

I thought this years new criteria started to punish schools with a large % of SFJ? Regardless, do the rankings even matter?

They matter to the schools, and if they somehow jump up 6 spots, and stay there, it could change employer's opinions in the long run. I really don't know at this point, a spot or two seems negligible, but a large jump or fall could have implications.

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:14 am

MennetoC wrote:So I am life-and-death to make a decision at this point. I was wondering where everyone else had to decide between, if you don't mind sharing what your other top choice was, how much they offered in scholarship, and then why you chose USC. For me, I can't see making this decision on weather, so that won't be convincing for me, just an FYI.

Hey. So if you go to the admitted students portal, click the Admissions tab, on the left side there is a sub-tab for Videos. It might interest you to watch one called "Why USC Law?"

UCLAHopeful2015

Postby UCLAHopeful2015 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:23 am

Laws I just noticed your location and lawled

RubyRod

Postby RubyRod » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:28 am

UCLAHopeful2015 wrote:Laws I just noticed your location and lawled

Did you put a tracking device on Laws at ASD?

UCLAHopeful2015

Postby UCLAHopeful2015 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:35 am

mec896 wrote:

Did you put a tracking device on Laws at ASD?

No silly, look at her profile!

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:39 am

Eh? What just happened?

RubyRod

Postby RubyRod » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:47 am

LawsRUs wrote:Eh? What just happened?

That's what I'm saying. Where does one find our location?

UCLAHopeful2015

Postby UCLAHopeful2015 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:56 am

mec896 wrote:

Under her prof pic it says "joined" "posts" "location: confused"
Didn't mean to sound like a creepo stalker :|

KMart

Postby KMart » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:04 am

This was solid wording :lol:.

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:15 am

UCLAHopeful2015 wrote:
mec896 wrote:

Ah I see, lol. Didn't sound creepy at all, I thought I missed something. The "confused" part was in reference to my indecisiveness about where to go for law school. I should change it now. I think I know.

RubyRod

Postby RubyRod » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:21 am

LawsRUs wrote:
UCLAHopeful2015 wrote:
mec896 wrote:

Ah I see, lol. Didn't sound creepy at all, I thought I missed something. The "confused" part was in reference to my indecisiveness about where to go for law school. I should change it now. I think I know.

Ooooooooooo :shock:

That is a funny choice, and excellent wording.

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:29 am

LawsRUs wrote:
MennetoC wrote:So I am life-and-death to make a decision at this point. I was wondering where everyone else had to decide between, if you don't mind sharing what your other top choice was, how much they offered in scholarship, and then why you chose USC. For me, I can't see making this decision on weather, so that won't be convincing for me, just an FYI.

Hey. So if you go to the admitted students portal, click the Admissions tab, on the left side there is a sub-tab for Videos. It might interest you to watch one called "Why USC Law?"

I just finished watching this. One of the people in that video, I actually met at an alumni reception :shock: I think it shows how much they are willing to reach out.

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:58 am

GUYZ, I was just going through my week's emails, and found one from USC. This is HUGE.

I'm writing to you today to share some exciting academic developments that the faculty has adopted recently. Beginning Spring 2016, we've added three new elective courses to our first-year curriculum, designed to prepare you more effectively for your upper years at law school, as well as for your career after law school. Therefore, you will be able to select one of the following 3 courses as part of your spring semester registration.

First, we've reshaped our curriculum to offer a Fundamentals of Business course that trains our law students in the basics of business and financial concepts that are important to effective legal work. Course topics include an overview of the business sector and business entities, financial accounting and analysis, elementary financial concepts, as well as financial instruments and markets. Students with little or no background in business and finance should find the course especially useful.

We are also introducing a Legal Profession course, oriented for lawyers who aspire to careers in the public interest or public sector areas. The class covers the core topics common to all Legal Profession courses with an emphasis on ethical issues that arise in government work, criminal prosecution or defense, and public interest or nonprofit practice. The course also covers some topics not typically included in a general or business-oriented Legal Profession course, including challenges low income clients face when accessing justice, as well as ethical issues that arise when representing government clients such as public agencies.

Our third new elective is an introduction to Constitutional Rights law. This course examines many of the key rights protected by the U.S. Constitution with a particular emphasis on equal protection rights and rights under the due process clauses. The course also addresses the proper judicial role in identifying and protecting such rights, theories of interpretation of constitutional rights, and the doctrinal structures by which such rights are implemented. These are subjects of fundamental importance to our system of law and government.

We're offering these new courses because we believe it is important that our curriculum reflects the dynamic legal world you'll be entering as graduates of USC Gould. Our job is to prepare you for success and we anticipate that by enrolling in these new courses, you will advance your knowledge beyond the standard legal education.

USC gets A+ for the bolded. The elective will help in "demonstrating our interest" when EIW comes around.
---
Also, USC gets A+ for being professional and timely in their correspondence with me.

UCLAHopeful2015

Postby UCLAHopeful2015 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:22 pm

LawsRUs wrote:GUYZ, I was just going through my week's emails, and found one from USC. This is HUGE.

I'm writing to you today to share some exciting academic developments that the faculty has adopted recently. Beginning Spring 2016, we've added three new elective courses to our first-year curriculum, designed to prepare you more effectively for your upper years at law school, as well as for your career after law school. Therefore, you will be able to select one of the following 3 courses as part of your spring semester registration.

First, we've reshaped our curriculum to offer a Fundamentals of Business course that trains our law students in the basics of business and financial concepts that are important to effective legal work. Course topics include an overview of the business sector and business entities, financial accounting and analysis, elementary financial concepts, as well as financial instruments and markets. Students with little or no background in business and finance should find the course especially useful.

We are also introducing a Legal Profession course, oriented for lawyers who aspire to careers in the public interest or public sector areas. The class covers the core topics common to all Legal Profession courses with an emphasis on ethical issues that arise in government work, criminal prosecution or defense, and public interest or nonprofit practice. The course also covers some topics not typically included in a general or business-oriented Legal Profession course, including challenges low income clients face when accessing justice, as well as ethical issues that arise when representing government clients such as public agencies.

Our third new elective is an introduction to Constitutional Rights law. This course examines many of the key rights protected by the U.S. Constitution with a particular emphasis on equal protection rights and rights under the due process clauses. The course also addresses the proper judicial role in identifying and protecting such rights, theories of interpretation of constitutional rights, and the doctrinal structures by which such rights are implemented. These are subjects of fundamental importance to our system of law and government.

We're offering these new courses because we believe it is important that our curriculum reflects the dynamic legal world you'll be entering as graduates of USC Gould. Our job is to prepare you for success and we anticipate that by enrolling in these new courses, you will advance your knowledge beyond the standard legal education.

USC gets A+ for the bolded. The elective will help in "demonstrating our interest" when EIW comes around.
---
Also, USC gets A+ for being professional and timely in their correspondence with me.

I give them an A++ for both things you mentioned. Especially in comparison to other schools I've communicated with.

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:23 pm

I ran out of questions to ask JPell. If anyone can think of any more: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=246349.

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:52 pm

I withdrew my acceptances from 17 schools this weekend. (Didn't withdraw from 'SC.) Withdrawing my full rides + RA positions were painful.
(I applied to too many schools, all on fee waivers tho; I didn't know what I was doing when I applied.)

It feels so good to get closer to making the final decision~~
Still waiting on 6 more schools :p.

UCLAHopeful2015

Postby UCLAHopeful2015 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:08 pm

LawsRUs wrote:I withdrew my acceptances from 17 schools this weekend. (Didn't withdraw from 'SC.) Withdrawing my full rides + RA positions were painful.
(I applied to too many schools, all on fee waivers tho; I didn't know what I was doing when I applied.)

W/L at the 6 schools?

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:23 pm

UCLAHopeful2015 wrote:
LawsRUs wrote:I withdrew my acceptances from 17 schools this weekend. (Didn't withdraw from 'SC.) Withdrawing my full rides + RA positions were painful.

W/L at the 6 schools?

Yeah, most are WLs, and the rest will turn into WLs, I'm presuming, because it's so late in the cycle. :mrgreen:
All of my WLs came in before my Feb. lsat score. Except for UVA, I'm not below 25%s at any of these schools. So we'll see what happens. I really hate this LS admissions process. Like really hate it. The emails, text messages, and phone calls I get from TTTs, negotiating with schools, and the uncertainty of everything.

eta: I kind of want to reapply, I feel like I could have better options if I do. .

UCLAHopeful2015

Postby UCLAHopeful2015 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:10 am

LawsRUs wrote:
UCLAHopeful2015 wrote:

W/L at the 6 schools?

Yeah, most are WLs, and the rest will turn into WLs, I'm presuming, because it's so late in the cycle. :mrgreen:
All of my WLs came in before my Feb. lsat score. Except for UVA, I'm not below 25%s at any of these schools. So we'll see what happens. I really hate this LS admissions process. Like really hate it. The emails, text messages, and phone calls I get from TTTs, negotiating with schools, and the uncertainty of everything.

eta: I kind of want to reapply, I feel like I could have better options if I do. .

Yeah reapplying might be the way to go.. Applying early could get you a lot more money at the same school

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”