USC (Gould) c/o 2018

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Which doctrinal courses have you been assigned for the Fall term?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:01 pm

(1) Civ Pro, Torts, Contracts
30%
(2) Civ Pro, Con Law, Contracts
40%
(3) Civ Pro, Torts, Con Law
30%

Total votes: 10

LawsRUs

Re: USC (Gould) c/o 2018

Postby LawsRUs » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:37 pm

mec896 wrote:Guys I really don't know what to do! My head is going to explode and there's a seat deposit on Friday. I think I will definitely need an extension on that in order to really figure out what I want.

Did you show UCLA your offer from USC? It's okay if you go to UCLA, don't let us hold you back or anything. Yea, def go for that extension.

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:38 pm

Is anyone thinking of doing the conference call tomorrow?

Finalfan

Postby Finalfan » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:45 pm

Mec is above the 75th of UCLA and they are asking him/her to deposit at sticker?? That's an insult... Should withdraw..

RubyRod

Postby RubyRod » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:53 pm

Last edited by RubyRod on Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RubyRod

Postby RubyRod » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:54 pm

Last edited by RubyRod on Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RubyRod

Postby RubyRod » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:55 pm

LawsRUs wrote:Is anyone thinking of doing the conference call tomorrow?

Conference call?

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:07 pm

mec896 wrote:
Finalfan wrote:Mec is above the 75th of UCLA and they are asking him/her to deposit at sticker?? That's an insult... Should withdraw..

Not at sticker, just at half the offer I got from USC.

I know this is a USC thread, but...
Keep bugging UCLA about increasing their offer. That's weird, they should come up. Maybe they are waiting for after the deposit deadline, who knows. But half of USC's offer?!?! Really now.
---
The conference call--
Some of the questions Professor R will be able to answer during the call are:
- What opportunities are available for USC Gould students to collaborate with faculty on research and publications?
- What is the grading system for first year students?
- What is a professor looking for in an ideal student?
- Is USC Gould a supportive community for diverse students?
^^ I guess it's for diverse students. .Whatever "diverse" means..
---
I'm going to yell at everyone itt to ask questions here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=246349
Really go for it. JPell is in the top 25% of her/his class. I think s/he has a lot to offer us

edited for PC lol
Last edited by LawsRUs on Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UCLAHopeful2015

Postby UCLAHopeful2015 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:13 pm

mec896 wrote:
LawsRUs wrote:
mec896 wrote:Guys I really don't know what to do! My head is going to explode and there's a seat deposit on Friday. I think I will definitely need an extension on that in order to really figure out what I want.

Did you show UCLA your offer from USC? It's okay if you go to UCLA, don't let us hold you back or anything. Yea, def go for that extension.

Yes and they are not budging. Seems like they just don't have the money this year which is ridiculous considering the large endowment they've been advertising.

Even with my ucla bias, I'd pick usc in a heartbeat if I were in your shoes

RubyRod

Postby RubyRod » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:01 pm

LawsRUs wrote:
mec896 wrote:
Finalfan wrote:Mec is above the 75th of UCLA and they are asking him/her to deposit at sticker?? That's an insult... Should withdraw..

Not at sticker, just at half the offer I got from USC.

I know this is a USC thread, but...
Keep bugging UCLA about increasing their offer. That's weird, they should come up. Maybe they are waiting for after the deposit deadline, who knows. But half of USC's offer?!?! Really now.
---
The conference call--
Some of the questions Professor R will be able to answer during the call are:
- What opportunities are available for USC Gould students to collaborate with faculty on research and publications?
- What is the grading system for first year students?
- What is a professor looking for in an ideal student?
- Is USC Gould a supportive community for diverse students?
^^ I guess it's for diverse students. .Whatever "diverse" means..
---
I'm going to yell at everyone itt to ask questions here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=246349
Really go for it. JPell is in the top 25% of her/his class. I think s/he has a lot to offer us

edited for PC lol

But I didn't get any info about a conference call.

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:07 pm

^^ Oh.., yea I've been getting emails for "diverse" applicants or whatever; the other day I got one for first gen to college, earlier I got one for "students with the goal of furthering diversity in the legal profession." Norman Topping scholarship seems like it's school-wide though and hard to get, I'm not sure I'm going to apply..

RubyRod

Postby RubyRod » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:14 pm

LawsRUs wrote:^^ Oh.., yea I've been getting emails for "diverse" applicants or whatever; the other day I got one for first gen to college, earlier I got one for "students with the goal of furthering diversity in the legal profession." Norman Topping scholarship seems like it's school-wide though and hard to get, I'm not sure I'm going to apply..

I got the diversity scholarship email which is hilarious I also got Norman topping but my grandfather sent to law school.

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:07 pm

^^ oh lol, nevermind then hahaha

RubyRod

Postby RubyRod » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:24 am

LawsRUs wrote:^^ oh lol, nevermind then hahaha

What email did they mention the conference call in though? I didn't get that, maybe it is a diversity thing. Also that's going to be a crazy call. Maybe they do it in batches because having every applicant on the line at once would be nuts.

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:27 am

Part 2. Law Day

They are thinking of adding an elective during 1L for a class called Business Fundamentals (Sauce: MC). Personally, I think if they put this together, it's really great. For people who want to go into private practice, it shows interest early on.

Small Business Clinic is ~competitive~, they said. For 1L summer, the clinic takes 2-3 people. MC said that the time to apply to SBC is the second semester of your 2L year. They take about 6-7 students out of 25 applicants.

Alumni said that if you need to change your career later on, the Trojan Network is great.

I went on the Law School Building Tour. Facilities are...okay, I guess. The building is old, and the architecture sure looks plain, but it's cozy. I could grow to like it, it's functional. I would compare the law school building to breaking into a new pair of shoes. First you might hate it, but later you get to like it.

The law library had comfy-looking chairs. There were A LOT of students studying in the library due to preparing for their final exams. The 2L tour guide said that it wasn't usually that crowded, and you can find empty seats easily. I also liked separate lounges, which had sofas, and she said that people come there to take naps, group meetings, and interviews.

Shoot, I feel like there is so much I could talk about re: Law Day, but my memory is failing me at the moment. If someone else has a point that they want to bring up, I think I could remember more things, but yeah, this is what I got.

Also, I didn't see Dean Designate Guzman there, did anyone see him?

Oh yeah, Prof. Armour's crim law class was great. He's a great lecturer. But he left us with a cliffhanger..so race can or cannot be considered in that case?

RubyRod

Postby RubyRod » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:32 am

I asked Dean R about not seeing Guzman, he said Guzman is still a Berkeley employee and was unable to leave work there to come to USC for the ASW.

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:33 am

mec896 wrote:

What email did they mention the conference call in though? I didn't get that, maybe it is a diversity thing. Also that's going to be a crazy call. Maybe they do it in batches because having every applicant on the line at once would be nuts.

edited to delete bc I think you just saw it.
Last edited by LawsRUs on Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:36 am

mec896 wrote:I asked Dean R about not seeing Guzman, he said Guzman is still a Berkeley employee and was unable to leave work there to come to USC for the ASW.

:x That's the most lame excuse :x

RubyRod

Postby RubyRod » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:05 am

LawsRUs wrote:
mec896 wrote:

I didn't!!! Pm?

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:09 am

mec896 wrote:
LawsRUs wrote:
mec896 wrote:

I didn't!!! Pm?

pm-ed!!

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:10 am

Part 3. Law Day.

Oh yeah, forgot to say--

1. You can eat in the law library.
2. The tour guide said that undergrads can and do come in to the library because they can eat in there. She was annoyed how they can be chatty. And said that these undergrads often are studying for the LSAT. That's cute, I guess. But I don't like undergrads using the law library. That's annoying. If they start chatting loudly and I'm in there, I will tell them to STFU or get out (in a nice manner, of course).
3. The lunch was delicious. It was actually legit food. The salad/garlic chicken, peas, potatoes/dessert. I would eat that chocolate cake every day if I know where I can get it. Seriously, that was the most delicious thing.

WhatCouldHaveBeen

Postby WhatCouldHaveBeen » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:11 pm

nah just tell them to get the fuck out, no need for the nice manner LawsRUs ...nice guys finish last, remember?

Can you PM this conference call business as well? I didn't see anything about and have been getting all those diversity emails also, I think I have a good shot at those schollys given my white male with an unoriginal background statyus

LawsRUs wrote:Part 3. Law Day.

Oh yeah, forgot to say--

1. You can eat in the law library.
2. The tour guide said that undergrads can and do come in to the library because they can eat in there. She was annoyed how they can be chatty. And said that these undergrads often are studying for the LSAT. That's cute, I guess. But I don't like undergrads using the law library. That's annoying. If they start chatting loudly and I'm in there, I will tell them to STFU or get out (in a nice manner, of course).
3. The lunch was delicious. It was actually legit food. The salad/garlic chicken, peas, potatoes/dessert. I would eat that chocolate cake every day if I know where I can get it. Seriously, that was the most delicious thing.

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:39 pm

^^ lololol That was the best post itt. :lol: :lol:

eta: hey white people are becoming a minority* now in CA, so you never know with them scholarships (*although not in the legal profession)

UCLAHopeful2015

Postby UCLAHopeful2015 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:00 pm

Almost at the May 1st depo deadline!! How are you all coming along with your decisions?

UCLAHopeful2015

Postby UCLAHopeful2015 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:03 pm

UCLAHopeful2015 wrote:Almost at the May 1st depo deadline!! How are you all coming along with your decisions?

btw someone needs to tell me how to get in contact with a mod to change my name :D

RubyRod

Postby RubyRod » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:07 pm

UCLAHopeful2015 wrote:
UCLAHopeful2015 wrote:Almost at the May 1st depo deadline!! How are you all coming along with your decisions?

btw someone needs to tell me how to get in contact with a mod to change my name :D

Go to the moderation a complaint thread, find someonr whose username above their icon is purple and PM them what you want your new username to be. I just did it.

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”