USC (Gould) c/o 2018

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Which doctrinal courses have you been assigned for the Fall term?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:01 pm

(1) Civ Pro, Torts, Contracts
3
30%
(2) Civ Pro, Con Law, Contracts
4
40%
(3) Civ Pro, Torts, Con Law
3
30%
 
Total votes: 10

User avatar
LawsRUs
Posts: 1970
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:40 pm

Re: USC (Gould) c/o 2018

Postby LawsRUs » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:10 am

Publicity: a 3L is taking AMA questions (!!), ask away:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=246349

Finalfan
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:31 am

Re: USC (Gould) c/o 2018

Postby Finalfan » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:55 am

110 still sounds like a pretty good number with over two weeks before deposit day.

User avatar
rwe13
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:23 pm

Re: USC (Gould) c/o 2018

Postby rwe13 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:38 pm

Heavy lean toward usc after yesterday/putting more serious thought into what exactly I want and expect from law school

User avatar
LawsRUs
Posts: 1970
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:40 pm

Re: USC (Gould) c/o 2018

Postby LawsRUs » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:31 am

I'm still recovering from Law Day, will probably post my impressions in a few days.

Check out the new poll, this one lets us see where we are. (Credit: thx mec)

WhatCouldHaveBeen
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:20 pm

Re: USC (Gould) c/o 2018

Postby WhatCouldHaveBeen » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:37 pm

Bummed to have missed Law Day but I had a conflict. A few quick questions for you fine folks much appreciate the help:

1. Can one (in this case, me) reserve his/her scholarship by the looming deadline of April 15, then still try and negotiate for more money between then and May 1? I have some extremely recent updates which might help my negotiating power, and I will be emailing USC promptly tomorrow morning EST, but I realize the time between today/open of business tomorrow and April 15 is a very small window? I understand we can secure the scholarship and still not deposit on/by May 1, but this is a different question...hopefully I am explained myself clearly.

2. Just this moment noticed my scholly letter says Monday, April 15...except April 15 is this coming Wednesday, and tomorrow is Monday, April 13. I am confident 'Monday' is an error and the deadline is 4/15, but wanted to confirm.

3. Consensus that Mary Bingham is the one to reach out to? Did anyone who negotiated email anyone instead of or in addition to Mary?

Thanks so much!

Fight on.

User avatar
LawsRUs
Posts: 1970
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:40 pm

Re: USC (Gould) c/o 2018

Postby LawsRUs » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:04 pm

^^ Hey there WCHB,

1. Yes, but be sure to pick the second option, i.e. reserve but uncertain of attending
2. That's really odd! I'm pretty sure it is Wednesday, April 15, and it was just a mistake.
3. Yup! Bings is our person. I think if we send it other people, it'll probably get forwarded to her.

Sorry you couldn't make it to Law Day, good luck with your scholarship negotiations !!

User avatar
NoBladesNoBows
Posts: 1118
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:39 pm

Re: USC (Gould) c/o 2018

Postby NoBladesNoBows » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:50 pm

Last edited by NoBladesNoBows on Mon May 11, 2015 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WhatCouldHaveBeen
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:20 pm

Re: USC (Gould) c/o 2018

Postby WhatCouldHaveBeen » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:09 pm

Perfect, thanks!! Much appreciated.


LawsRUs wrote:^^ Hey there WCHB,

1. Yes, but be sure to pick the second option, i.e. reserve but uncertain of attending
2. That's really odd! I'm pretty sure it is Wednesday, April 15, and it was just a mistake.
3. Yup! Bings is our person. I think if we send it other people, it'll probably get forwarded to her.

Sorry you couldn't make it to Law Day, good luck with your scholarship negotiations !!

RubyRod
Posts: 373
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:11 pm

Re: USC (Gould) c/o 2018

Postby RubyRod » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:34 am

.
Last edited by RubyRod on Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
LawsRUs
Posts: 1970
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:40 pm

Re: USC (Gould) c/o 2018

Postby LawsRUs » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:41 am

mec896 wrote:GUYS!!!! I'm stuck in LA. Also very confused after visiting a certain crosstown rival. :/
Decisions are the worst.


It's okay if you go to our rival school mec, we understand. I think some of us might end up there after all this. UCLA has good people.

Also, it has been brought up to my attention that I've been talking too much shit about UCLA, I'll try to keep it down to minimum. No promises though.

User avatar
towit
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:07 pm

Re: USC (Gould) c/o 2018

Postby towit » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:04 am

Not that I'm holding my breath with my numbers, but anybody else hear from MB recently, solicited or otherwise?

RubyRod
Posts: 373
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:11 pm

Re: USC (Gould) c/o 2018

Postby RubyRod » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:02 pm

There's was a wave of bumps last week and then all of those admissions events. My guess is we won't hear anything more from her until after the 15th.

RubyRod
Posts: 373
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:11 pm

Re: USC (Gould) c/o 2018

Postby RubyRod » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:05 pm

Just reserved my scholarship!!! :D

User avatar
LawsRUs
Posts: 1970
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:40 pm

Re: USC (Gould) c/o 2018

Postby LawsRUs » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:19 pm

For those who went to Law Day, was it only the people I talked to, or did you find there were a lot of people from oos who were visiting to see if LA is where they could see themselves working/living Or did you find a lot of CA kids?

User avatar
LawsRUs
Posts: 1970
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:40 pm

Re: USC (Gould) c/o 2018

Postby LawsRUs » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:28 pm

Also fwiw people with whom I talked were considering Michigan, G/G, UCLA, Berkeley, Emory, WUSTL, BC, UCI, UCD. What was you guys' survey like?

At my lunch table, there was one kid who is for sure matriculating, two kids for sure not matriculating, one leaning strongly toward USC, and one who has no idea.

RubyRod
Posts: 373
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:11 pm

Re: USC (Gould) c/o 2018

Postby RubyRod » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:45 pm

LawsRUs wrote:Also fwiw people with whom I talked were considering Michigan, G/G, UCLA, Berkeley, Emory, WUSTL, BC, UCI, UCD. What was you guys' survey like?

At my lunch table, there was one kid who is for sure matriculating, two kids for sure not matriculating, one leaning strongly toward USC, and one who has no idea.

Why spend all that money to go there when you're definitely not going to USC?

User avatar
LawsRUs
Posts: 1970
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:40 pm

Re: USC (Gould) c/o 2018

Postby LawsRUs » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:47 pm

mec896 wrote:
LawsRUs wrote:Also fwiw people with whom I talked were considering Michigan, G/G, UCLA, Berkeley, Emory, WUSTL, BC, UCI, UCD. What was you guys' survey like?

At my lunch table, there was one kid who is for sure matriculating, two kids for sure not matriculating, one leaning strongly toward USC, and one who has no idea.

Why spend all that money to go there when you're definitely not going to USC?


Beats me. I think they were just double checking their decision.

User avatar
spencercross
Posts: 246
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:28 pm

Re: USC (Gould) c/o 2018

Postby spencercross » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:58 pm

mec896 wrote:
LawsRUs wrote:Also fwiw people with whom I talked were considering Michigan, G/G, UCLA, Berkeley, Emory, WUSTL, BC, UCI, UCD. What was you guys' survey like?

At my lunch table, there was one kid who is for sure matriculating, two kids for sure not matriculating, one leaning strongly toward USC, and one who has no idea.

Why spend all that money to go there when you're definitely not going to USC?

I would guess they're local (or at least, local-ish). Or they took advantage of the stipend for a subsidized LA vacation. Also, I RSVP'd when I was almost positive USC was off the table (pre-scholarship bump) just because I figured I'd give them a second chance to either sell themselves or confirm my initial opinion.

User avatar
LawsRUs
Posts: 1970
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:40 pm

Re: USC (Gould) c/o 2018

Postby LawsRUs » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:12 pm

Do you know how OCI at USC is 30% pre-select and 70% lottery? So I was wondering if firms hired from that 30% only, and two current students who I talked with said that they had friends who were offered jobs when they were not pre-selected. Did you guys hear the same things?

Finalfan
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:31 am

Re: USC (Gould) c/o 2018

Postby Finalfan » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:15 pm

LawsRUs wrote:Do you know how OCI at USC is 30% pre-select and 70% lottery? So I was wondering if firms hired from that 30% only, and two current students who I talked with said that they had friends who were offered jobs when they were not pre-selected. Did you guys hear the same things?



I don't think they do the 30/70 thing anymore. I read somewhere they changed to something else last year.

User avatar
LawsRUs
Posts: 1970
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:40 pm

Re: USC (Gould) c/o 2018

Postby LawsRUs » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:18 pm

They were 100% lottery before. I thought it's 30%-70% now idk.

User avatar
LawsRUs
Posts: 1970
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:40 pm

Re: USC (Gould) c/o 2018

Postby LawsRUs » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:35 pm

I just got an email from MB about an external scholarship. But I want an internal one. :( :(

User avatar
rwe13
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:23 pm

Re: USC (Gould) c/o 2018

Postby rwe13 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:12 pm

So, I negotiated up my scholarship and am prepared to reserve it, but I noticed that the "download scholarship decision letter" link still shows my original offer. I just wanted to make sure that it's normal for them to not update the portal with the new offer before I reserve it ? just because I'd rather email them about it before reserving than asking them to correct it afterwards.

RubyRod
Posts: 373
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:11 pm

Re: USC (Gould) c/o 2018

Postby RubyRod » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:50 pm

rwe13 wrote:So, I negotiated up my scholarship and am prepared to reserve it, but I noticed that the "download scholarship decision letter" link still shows my original offer. I just wanted to make sure that it's normal for them to not update the portal with the new offer before I reserve it ? just because I'd rather email them about it before reserving than asking them to correct it afterwards.

I relieve mine was updated bc I had to log in to see my updated award.

WhatCouldHaveBeen
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:20 pm

Re: USC (Gould) c/o 2018

Postby WhatCouldHaveBeen » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:15 pm

How long did it take you all to hear from Mary after your first reach out regarding negotiating? I reached out this morning PST. I love USC and I think id be so happy there! My decisions unfortunatelt are going to be financially driven from here on out.

Also, any strategic advantage to waiting to reserve until I hear from Mary on a possible increase, assuming I do hear before midnight this Weds/15th? I still don't quite "get" this whole reservation thing, only school in my lineup that has anything like it.

Thank you all for being such great resources!!




Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests