USC (Gould) c/o 2018 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Which doctrinal courses have you been assigned for the Fall term?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:01 pm

(1) Civ Pro, Torts, Contracts
30%
(2) Civ Pro, Con Law, Contracts
40%
(3) Civ Pro, Torts, Con Law
30%

Total votes: 10

LawsRUs

Gold

Re: USC (Gould) c/o 2018

Post by LawsRUs » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:41 pm

OMG I had such a good time at the reception. I have details on USC's philosophy on scholarship offers and negotiations. This can be pm-ed only because the AO could might be able to figure who I am if I post it here. I understand how they do it now. So if you don't get a huge bump, there is a good reason to it. In short, you probably won't get a huge increase from your initial offer.

I thought ASW was going to sway me, but this reception was kind of enough.

I'll write up and post my general impressions in a few days.

kbuckley177

New

Post by kbuckley177 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:47 pm

I sent a scholarship negotiation email last night and received a bumped-up offer this afternoon. I told them about an equal scholarship offer from Notre Dame and they increased my 40k/year to 50k/year. Not too disappointed! I would definitely recommend trying to negotiate!

RubyRod

Bronze

Post by RubyRod » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:19 pm

Last edited by RubyRod on Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RubyRod

Bronze

Post by RubyRod » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:58 pm

LawsRUs wrote:OMG I had such a good time at the reception. I have details on USC's philosophy on scholarship offers and negotiations. This can be pm-ed only because the AO could might be able to figure who I am if I post it here. I understand how they do it now. So if you don't get a huge bump, there is a good reason to it. In short, you probably won't get a huge increase from your initial offer.

I thought ASW was going to sway me, but this reception was kind of enough.

I'll write up and post my general impressions in a few days.
I'll take one of those PMs :wink:

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:47 am

Sorry all, I have a paper due in two hours, but after I finish, I'll try to get to your pms (although I haven't slept in two days due to insomnia, so I'm about to pass out rn). At the latest, I'll get to everyone by Friday afternoon.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:55 am

Anyone going to this?
Business Law Society - Transactional Law Dinner
RSVP DEADLINE: TOMORROW - Friday, April 3, 2015.

nowyouscantleave

New

Post by nowyouscantleave » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:07 am

kbuckley177 wrote:I sent a scholarship negotiation email last night and received a bumped-up offer this afternoon. I told them about an equal scholarship offer from Notre Dame and they increased my 40k/year to 50k/year. Not too disappointed! I would definitely recommend trying to negotiate!
wow congrats! My Notre Dame offer was WAY better than what USC offered me but USC completely shot me down for a scholarship increase.
LawsRUs wrote:Sorry all, I have a paper due in two hours, but after I finish, I'll try to get to your pms (although I haven't slept in two days due to insomnia, so I'm about to pass out rn). At the latest, I'll get to everyone by Friday afternoon.
LawsRUs if you get a chance I would love to get some insight on this! USC is still my first choice and I'm torn about whether or not I should pay the seat deposit tomorrow.

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:59 am

I pm-ed everybody. If I missed ya, could you pm me? Sorry :mrgreen:

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:05 am

Dipper wrote:Just withdrew -- $$ back in the pot for y'all!
Thanks Dippa, it really helps all of us out here.
---
Also, I'm planning on writing a LOCI this weekend to UCLA and a scholarship reconsideration letter to another school to which I have paid my seat deposit. I would rather not write these because I feel like I’m betraying USC, but I really have to go where the monies are. In this respect, it’s so sad how schools can “buy” applicants to come there. Some effed up world we are living in.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:08 am

kbuckley177 wrote:I sent a scholarship negotiation email last night and received a bumped-up offer this afternoon. I told them about an equal scholarship offer from Notre Dame and they increased my 40k/year to 50k/year. Not too disappointed! I would definitely recommend trying to negotiate!
Thanks for that info kbuck. I'm still waiting on ND.

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:40 am

mec896 wrote:ASW is in 1 week!!!! Has anyone received/found a schedule yet?
We'll probably get it coming early next week (Monday or Tuesday).

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:51 am

So I was at the reception last night.

I got there really late because there were some technical difficulties at a public transit station. Subway trains stopping, that sort of thing. But when I got there, I was blown away.

The reception was at Gibson Dunn. The building was gorgeous. I’ve never been inside such a majestic office tower before. The most stunning building on the block, hands down. When you stand outside and look up at the tower, you feel small; but when you step inside, you feel confident. This was big law. I would never want it, but there I was, a person from a humble background, lowly me! The floor was all marble. Floor to ceiling windows. Out of the window, there was a majestic view of the bay bridge, connecting two bays. It couldn’t be more apt: Bridges are supposed to symbolize a phase in your life where you are transitioning to a new stage. The metaphor, so fitting.

The group that was ensembled in the conference room was a really good crowd. I’m not going to lie: I’ve never been in the same room with so many brilliant people. All the alumni had great careers, said they were happy with their jobs. All the admitted students seemed interesting and sharp. The administration was so friendly, and they loved talking with us.

At the second hour, Dean Rasmussen made a speech. He talked about USC’s projected goal of becoming a law school that focused more on global/international issues. He talked about small classes (next year, aiming to be 170-175) and the collegiality of every incoming class. He shared a story about a student who on Thanksgiving break had her computer hard drive crash. On FB, she posted how she lost all of her outlines. It was supposed to be an end of the world for her. He said that at a different school, people would have been happy that there was one less person to compete against. Within two hours of this student’s FB post, she had 7 outlines for each of her classes. From my observation, all the alumni seemed very close with each other. Everybody was so friendly, pleasant, and funny. The humor in the room was great:

So a person asks Dean R that a lot of people in the room were considering UCLA. From my conversations with other admits, it seemed to be the case: There really were a lot of people considering UCLA. She asked what makes USC special? Why should they pick USC over UCLA?

Dean R said that UCLA is…the second best school in Los Angeles (!!). He emphasized the collegiality, the Trojan Network, and small class sizes at USC. He said it was a different environment where everyone knows each other’s name and collaborate, instead of compete. One alum jokingly chimed in that they should pick USC over UCLA because he met his wife here. Dean R said that even though they were a small school, USC still has the resources of a large school. One alum expanded on this that USC has a wide selection of classes in its course offerings, so no matter how different your interests are, you can always find classes offered here. Two alumni said that they were confident that USC JD will still hold power even in the SF Bay Area when searching for jobs, if they wanted to come back to SF.

Then the new dean chimed in. Dean Designate Guzman said that both USC and UCLA contacted him to ask him if he wanted to apply to become the dean at each of these two schools. He said that he submitted his CV to USC, but didn’t bother applying to UCLA—that this should tell us how much he believes that USC will allow everyone to grow. I really really like Dean R, but Dean Guzman seemed great too.

I had to leave early because I had to finish my essay by midnight. But overall it was a really great experience, and I absolutely fell in love with the people who were inside that conference room at that reception. Loved it.

RubyRod

Bronze

Post by RubyRod » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:54 am

Why pick USC over UCLA is a ballsy question. So happy to hear those responses though. I should've asked that. I wanted to ask at both receptions but thought it would make me look horrible.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Finalfan

New

Post by Finalfan » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:56 am

The reason he chose USC is because they pay him better. Duh..

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:01 am

Finalfan wrote:The reason he chose USC is because they pay him better. Duh..
This thought came to me too, but I wondered how much truth there was to it.

RubyRod

Bronze

Post by RubyRod » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:17 am

LawsRUs wrote:
I was thinking maybe he didn't like being an admin at a public school, the criteria a dean is looking at vs criteria students are looking at is probably very different. Pay, hours, job expectations, ease of fundraising, etc. It does make me curious about why Dean Moran would want to leave after only 4 years, and why they are having such a difficult time finding her successor.

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:34 am

mec896 wrote:
LawsRUs wrote:
I was thinking maybe he didn't like being an admin at a public school, the criteria a dean is looking at vs criteria students are looking at is probably very different. Pay, hours, job expectations, ease of fundraising, etc. It does make me curious about why Dean Moran would want to leave after only 4 years, and why they are having such a difficult time finding her successor.
mec would you mind asking this question to a current student (not on a panel) at UCLA's ASW, and pm-ing me what you find? thanks. .

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:36 am

A friendly reminder that if you are taking advantage of the seat deposit initiative, your deposit is due at 12 pm PDT.

Finalfan

New

Post by Finalfan » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:20 pm

LawsRUs wrote:

It's the main reason. USC law faculty >>>> UCLA law faculty in salaries. I don't think it's justified based on school rankings and other factors which are basically identical. It use to be that people would work at UC schools for less because they had better pension but those days are over as more are being asked to contribute to their retirement and the pension liabilities are increasing rapidly which guarantees future inevitable cuts.

RubyRod

Bronze

Post by RubyRod » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:28 pm

Is anyone going to the dinner on Thursday or the football game on saturday? I can't decide if I should try to get added onto them or not.

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:31 pm

Some people like oranges; some, apples.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:32 pm

mec896 wrote:Is anyone going to the dinner on Thursday or the football game on saturday? I can't decide if I should try to get added onto them or not.
I didn't sign up for them :(. I was going to hang out with my family in SoCal and friends at USC. I might also visit UCI ASW. You should go doe, it will be fun !!

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:34 pm

Hey. Where's your residency rn, if you don't mind me asking. Pls feel free to pm.

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:55 pm

New poll is here.

So we pick one of the following options.
- I have received less than 25 percentile grant amount. (Please refer to ABA 509 2014 report.)
- I have received between 25-50 percentile grant amount.
- I have received 50-75 percentile grant amount.
- I have received more than 75 percentile grant amount.

Then, we pick another.
- I negotiated successfully.
- I negotiated unsuccessfully.
- I have not negotiated.
- I do not plan to negotiate.
- I am awaiting response.

FYI.
75th Percentile grant amount $ 27,500
50th Percentile grant amount $ 20,000
25th Percentile grant amount $ 15,000

Thanks mec !

RubyRod

Bronze

Post by RubyRod » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:19 pm

LawsRUs wrote:New poll is here.

FYI.
75th Percentile grant amount $ 27,500
50th Percentile grant amount $ 20,000
25th Percentile grant amount $ 15,000

Thanks mec !
These seem low based off of the numbers people have been talking about on TLS. 45k, 60k and 82,500, that's only half tuition.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”