Senioritis / Quitting-my-job-soon-iorits

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
RunnerRunner

Re: Senioritis / Quitting-my-job-soon-iorits

Postby RunnerRunner » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:41 pm

suppy183 wrote:Giving notice today. Weirdly excited for it, even though I'll still be working for another 3 months.

As you should be. My experience has actually been very positive. I gave notice, like, a ridiculous 6 months before I am leaving (July) and the result has been no one bugs me by giving me annoying long-term projects :lol:

IsThisForReal

Postby IsThisForReal » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:42 pm

RunnerRunner wrote:
suppy183 wrote:Giving notice today. Weirdly excited for it, even though I'll still be working for another 3 months.

As you should be. My experience has actually been very positive. I gave notice, like, a ridiculous 6 months before I am leaving (July) and the result has been no one bugs me by giving me annoying long-term projects :lol:

This. But on the downside they've stopped sending me to the evening meetings with free food and chances to rack up comp time.

misskatejd

Postby misskatejd » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:44 pm

Hand wrote:
misskatejd wrote:after 2 years I never thought we even had this but just found out I have accrued 42 hours of sick time, how to use up before August without looking suspicious? lol

wish i would have known! I have genuinely missed work because i was ill but just took a loss of $, damm

start coughing right now.

it would be amazing to suddenly become ill the last week i am here, then also get all my 2 weeks vacation time, its like a whole month of work for "free", although it would be incredibly obvious!

fra

Postby fra » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:56 pm

misskatejd wrote:after 2 years I never thought we even had this but just found out I have accrued 42 hours of sick time, how to use up before August without looking suspicious? lol

wish i would have known! I have genuinely missed work because i was ill but just took a loss of $, damm

Check with HR, you may be able to be paid for some/all of that work after you leave. I got an extra two weeks of pay after I left my last job for accrued sick/vacation time.

misskatejd

Postby misskatejd » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:14 pm

fra wrote:

Check with HR, you may be able to be paid for some/all of that work after you leave. I got an extra two weeks of pay after I left my last job for accrued sick/vacation time.

Vacation time they have to give to me when i quit, but sick time they are not legally obligated to (at least in CA), that's not to say they wont though. Need to dig up the employee handbook i signed 2 years ago lol

Hand

Postby Hand » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:17 pm

misskatejd wrote:
fra wrote:

Vacation time they have to give to me when i quit, but sick time they are not legally obligated to (at least in CA), that's not to say they wont though. Need to dig up the employee handbook i signed 2 years ago lol

yeah my CA office made pretty clear that they don't pay out sick time unfortunately

Gray

Postby Gray » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:21 pm

Hand wrote:
misskatejd wrote:
fra wrote:

yeah my CA office made pretty clear that they don't pay out sick time unfortunately

Lol I already over used sick time. Too many "ughhhhhh I don't feel like it" days.

misskatejd

Postby misskatejd » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:56 pm

^ Every morning when I wake up, this is how I feel. We have been busy here for awhile though, and its just not worth all the catch up the next day, being greeted with a huge pile of paper on my chair (because god forbid people pick up the slack when I'm gone)

curlietop86

Postby curlietop86 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:09 pm

Last edited by curlietop86 on Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

NotASpecialSnowflake

Postby NotASpecialSnowflake » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:07 pm

Oh I'm past this point. I've been shamelessly using my sick time. My job doesn't pay me for my time off or sick time, so I figured why not use it all up.

Tr3

Postby Tr3 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:29 pm

I successfully scheduled my first sick day for Monday! It's the [State's MLB Team's] home opener on Friday and then I get Monday off to be sick? four day weekend, what what!

I have enough sick time to take a day off each week until I quit. I guess I should just make every Sunday a Sunday Funday and just never go in on Mondays. (yeah right, I don't have the gall to do that)

IsThisForReal

Postby IsThisForReal » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:25 pm

I've never had a problem taking annual leave but for some reason always feel guilty about taking sick leave. Monday was probably the first time I've called in sick without REALLY needing to. But I've quite a bit saved up, so I think I'm gonna start doing it more.

curlietop86

Postby curlietop86 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:57 am

Last edited by curlietop86 on Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

NotASpecialSnowflake

Postby NotASpecialSnowflake » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:26 am

curlietop86 wrote:here's a question that is perhaps overly practical for this page: how did everyone decide when they were giving notice? is there anyone planning to leave in ~june who hasn't yet?

I'm giving notice in June because I'm starting to travel in july. I haven't given notice yet though because my job only pays for leave based on how long you work (leaving in June =2 weeks of paid leave instead of the 4 I took). So I'm giving two weeks notice so they can't take my $ away

WhiskeyAndCupcakes

Postby WhiskeyAndCupcakes » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:26 am

Last edited by WhiskeyAndCupcakes on Fri May 29, 2015 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tuxedocat

Postby tuxedocat » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:40 am

curlietop86 wrote:here's a question that is perhaps overly practical for this page: how did everyone decide when they were giving notice? is there anyone planning to leave in ~june who hasn't yet?

I will probably leave end of June/early July, and I won't give notice until probably 2 weeks. My firm has a history of firing people who give notice early, and I need the $$$.

Hand

Postby Hand » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:46 am

The boss called me in to ask if I "was happy" somewhere in Jan/Feb, which seemed an opportune moment to announce my plans.

Skool

Postby Skool » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:53 am

Allergy season? I know mine are starting to act up....

WhiskeyAndCupcakes

Postby WhiskeyAndCupcakes » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:03 pm

Last edited by WhiskeyAndCupcakes on Fri May 29, 2015 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IsThisForReal

Postby IsThisForReal » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:10 pm

Realized over lunch that I've been walking around all morning with a giant hole in my skirt.

Ready to go back to jeans and a tshirt.

misskatejd

Postby misskatejd » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:21 pm

IsThisForReal wrote:Realized over lunch that I've been walking around all morning with a giant hole in my skirt.

Ready to go back to jeans and a tshirt.

One day my boss pulled me aside to tell me I had a hole in my pants, as I turned around to inspect, i then saw i had a HUGE tear in the back, revealing my bare ass. I have no idea how long I walked around like that, but when it hit me that my boss saw a too much, I died a little inside.

Tr3

Postby Tr3 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:21 pm

I'm leaving at the fiscal year end, which is June 30. But my boss/everyone at work already knows I'm leaving. They've been supportive because I work at an education nonprofit so I feel like they can't say anything negative about me furthering my education. lol

Tr3

Postby Tr3 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:22 pm

WhiskeyAndCupcakes wrote:
Skool wrote:

Allergy season? I know mine are starting to act up....

^ this. And also a dentist appointment that accidentally takes all day, or a headache, or a cold and you "don't want to put others at risk of getting sick"

Just scheduled a daylong doctor's visit, a daylong dentist appointment, and a daylong vision exam. Trying to use these benefits before I lose them!

BrazilBandit

Postby BrazilBandit » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:09 pm

How unnecessary/bored (I'm a Graduate Assistant) was I at work today? I created this...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

IsThisForReal

Postby IsThisForReal » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:17 am

They posted my job today and now I feel weird because this office has never been able to do anything that quickly.

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”