Senioritis / Quitting-my-job-soon-iorits

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
Hand

Re: Senioritis / Quitting-my-job-soon-iorits

Postby Hand » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:19 pm

suppy183 wrote:
Hand wrote:Sorta worried I might not be able to return to being a productive, focused human being after half a year of non-stop pure slacking

Yeah, I've definitely thought about this. Makes me wonder if I'll be able to handle a lifetime of a profession filled with workaholics. To be fair though, all this slacking is making me kind of miserable, and I'm looking forward to having a goal to work towards. I just suck at getting myself to do things without external motivators.

I also don't think slacking off all the time in the end is really making things better, but when what you do feels intrinsically worthless, and there is no reason whatsoever to do put in any effort except the hope that I might feel a little less shitty about my day were I to work a little harder, it's really, really hard to get myself to do anything. Ugh. At least it's Friday.

curlietop86

Postby curlietop86 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:25 pm

Last edited by curlietop86 on Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Indifference

Postby Indifference » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:48 pm

curlietop86 wrote:friday celebration!

i acknowledge that i am older than many law school applicants, so this might not be as amusing to some of you, but this was the best part of my friday: http://www.dailydot.com/lol/teens-react ... e_facebook

and it provides ample room for procrastination, as i am now obv listening to 90s top pop on pandora.

This was frightening. And amazing. Hahaha

RCSOB657

Postby RCSOB657 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:04 pm

curlietop86 wrote:friday celebration!

i acknowledge that i am older than many law school applicants, so this might not be as amusing to some of you, but this was the best part of my friday: http://www.dailydot.com/lol/teens-react ... e_facebook

and it provides ample room for procrastination, as i am now obv listening to 90s top pop on pandora.

I feel old, I grew up on Boyz II Men and early-mid career Garth Brooks.

rion91

Postby rion91 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:09 pm

reading getting to maybe while on tls at work on good friday (closed shop but it's quiet so i'm sticking around). slow day overall.

IsThisForReal

Postby IsThisForReal » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:08 pm

Half an hour before close a couple of us an our direct supervisor ended up playing with an exercise ball in the hallway. Almost everyone else was gone.

ub3r

Postby ub3r » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:52 am

Wish I was rich enough to quit my job now

appind

Postby appind » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:11 am

CaptainJapan wrote:
IsThisForReal wrote:I'm probably about 3 hrs of junk to 1 hr working.

ETA: It has gotten worse lately because my boss keeps giving me secretary type tasks (I'm an engineer), so I'm kinda rebelling. (I know, I'm such a badass lol 8) )

Everyone knows I'm leaving (late July if I move to another state, early Aug if I end up in-state), and they have just now started excluding me from things because I won't be around much longer.

I TLS, reddit, shop, and watch a ton of Hulu. Keep it in a small window in the corner of my second screen. Have a poster strategically placed in my window to hide that corner, since my windows face other offices windows (building is an H), so all I have to do to minimize is click in the screen to pause and then click on the outlook I keep full screen behind it. I have my own office and keep my door closed, and always have music on if not Hulu, so I'm hoping my neighbors, who aren't usually here anyway (yesterday I was the only person in my entire hallway), can't hear a difference.

What's the angle on telling your coworkers you're leaving several months in advance? Just curious if most people did this or not...I've kept quiet to avoid the situation you describe above but I've had a lot of friends tell me I'm crazy for not mentioning law school to my boss.

interested in this as well. what kind of engineering job gives a private office and notice of fourth months?

afaik in corporate engineering job, one could get canned for telling about quitting plans too early.

RCSOB657

Postby RCSOB657 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:02 am

kanthandleit wrote:
ILoveYou wrote:
kanthandleit wrote:I've worked continuously since I was 15 years old, weekends and nights in high school and full-time during undergrad.

It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that there is a constant "fuck it" attitude coming from me, and there is nothing I can or will do to stop it.

A.....I want to say that's a calzone? after my own heart.

That would be an empanada, my friend. If I get off my final waitlist (in a good way), I will host an empanada party in Houston and you're invited.

I've been wanting to ask, ¿con carne or con queso?

I think i mentioned I had them before, not sure if I said how. High school campus in Panama was "open," I think I remember getting a couple and shaved ice for like 5 dollars during lunch. Could be off on the prices it was nearly 17 years ago, but they were generally fresh daily from dude's push bike cart.

IsThisForReal

Postby IsThisForReal » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:43 am

appind wrote:
CaptainJapan wrote:
What's the angle on telling your coworkers you're leaving several months in advance? Just curious if most people did this or not...I've kept quiet to avoid the situation you describe above but I've had a lot of friends tell me I'm crazy for not mentioning law school to my boss.

interested in this as well. what kind of engineering job gives a private office and notice of fourth months?

afaik in corporate engineering job, one could get canned for telling about quitting plans too early.

They have to hire my replacement and allow time for me to train them. Plus I've asked supervisors for letters of rec and it makes it easier to not have to lie when I'm take a day off to visit a school or study for the LSAT etc. Actually everyone has been super supportive and the big boss offer to write a letter of rec. I felt awkward turning her down, but I don't really work directly under her ever.

KamronK

Postby KamronK » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:38 pm

I put in my 3 month notice. I'm excited to start planning summer trips.

appind

Postby appind » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:56 pm

IsThisForReal wrote:
appind wrote:
CaptainJapan wrote:

They have to hire my replacement and allow time for me to train them. Plus I've asked supervisors for letters of rec and it makes it easier to not have to lie when I'm take a day off to visit a school or study for the LSAT etc. Actually everyone has been super supportive and the big boss offer to write a letter of rec. I felt awkward turning her down, but I don't really work directly under her ever.

these perks sounds great. all people i know in engineering don't get private offices and such supportive bosses.

what type of engineering job is this and with how many years work ex?

IsThisForReal

Postby IsThisForReal » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:19 am

appind wrote:
IsThisForReal wrote:
appind wrote:
CaptainJapan wrote:

these perks sounds great. all people i know in engineering don't get private offices and such supportive bosses.

what type of engineering job is this and with how many years work ex?

Ag/enviro govt agency. Ive been here a little over a year.

LSATneurotic

Postby LSATneurotic » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:07 am

I hope I get SEO this summer so I can go live somewhere else for the summer. I'm getting tired of my current city/jerb.

I couldn't keep my mouth shut, so everyone I work with knows I'm leaving for law school in a few months. Sad thing is that I started working here pretty recently.

Law schools fuck you over as a 0L, because it's tough to get into good schools without WE, but no one wants to hire you if you're jumping ship for law school a few months later.

Dog

Postby Dog » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:49 am

LSATneurotic wrote:I hope I get SEO this summer so I can go live somewhere else for the summer. I'm getting tired of my current city/jerb.

I couldn't keep my mouth shut, so everyone I work with knows I'm leaving for law school in a few months. Sad thing is that I started working here pretty recently.

Law schools fuck you over as a 0L, because it's tough to get into good schools without WE, but no one wants to hire you if you're jumping ship for law school a few months later.

Yeah I was pretty naive when I started my employment search. I didn't realize how important the prospect of me sticking around for a long time would be to employers.

I found a job when I learned to keep my mouth shut about law school as much as possible. This applies even to legal jobs. Never make law school sound like a certainty/soon thing. If you haven't been accepted/deposited yet, it isn't anyways. That's just shooting yourself in the foot 9 times out of ten.

NotASpecialSnowflake

Postby NotASpecialSnowflake » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:29 am

Dog wrote:
LSATneurotic wrote:I hope I get SEO this summer so I can go live somewhere else for the summer. I'm getting tired of my current city/jerb.

Yeah I was pretty naive when I started my employment search. I didn't realize how important the prospect of me sticking around for a long time would be to employers.

I found a job when I learned to keep my mouth shut about law school as much as possible. This applies even to legal jobs. Never make law school sound like a certainty/soon thing. If you haven't been accepted/deposited yet, it isn't anyways. That's just shooting yourself in the foot 9 times out of ten.

The one time I told a job I was planning on law school was an interview at one of the larger firms in my city. I didn't want to ruin my possible chance with them after law school.

LSATneurotic

Postby LSATneurotic » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:31 am

NotASpecialSnowflake wrote:
Dog wrote:

The one time I told a job I was planning on law school was an interview at one of the larger firms in my city. I didn't want to ruin my possible chance with them after law school.

I told everybody I interviewed with that I was most likely going to law school in the fall--better not to burn bridges, imo. especially if you intend to return to your current locale post grad.

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:32 am

I told my job from the get-go that I was going to law school (at this point it was a 2 years out thing), but it's a small company and they really liked me/also didn't have anyone else, so it worked out fine

LSATneurotic

Postby LSATneurotic » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:35 am

xylocarp wrote:I told my job from the get-go that I was going to law school (at this point it was a 2 years out thing), but it's a small company and they really liked me/also didn't have anyone else, so it worked out fine

my heroine (see how I was gender specific there?)!!

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:37 am

The proper term would actually be "starhero" for stargender, but thanks for misgendering me :(

LSATneurotic

Postby LSATneurotic » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:44 am

I just can't make you happy...

AOT

Postby AOT » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:51 am

I'm not sure where I stand with work. I did actually tell the guy who hired me that I was taking the LSAT and thinking about law school before I started here in September. He told me not to mention it again and I haven't said anything since. We're a small team, but I think I'm also pretty replaceable since DC is so over saturated with pol sci grads (and law students?) wanting to do non-profit stuff. I still feel a bit guilty because it's basically taken me 6 months to figure out how to actually do my job
Last edited by AOT on Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Skool

Postby Skool » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:02 am

Well, you gotta look after yourself.

In some ways, jobs shoot themselves in the foot by giving folks a hard time for exploring other options. My office didn't love the idea that I was exploring going to law school, but they were ultimately very supportive. And having been supportive of me, I'm going to be supportive of them in hiring/training/overlapping with my replacement.

hillz

Postby hillz » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:30 am

I've been at my job for a couple of years now so it hasn't been a problem for me. My boss and coworkers knew last year that I was taking the LSAT and exploring my options, and have been pretty supportive. Everyone knows I'm leaving and my boss is about to hire a replacement, who I guess I am expected to train, but I still haven't decided about when exactly to give my notice.

Wattz

Postby Wattz » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:01 pm

My office has not been very supportive. I told them, I don't care if they lay me off, because I told, I told Bill that if they move my desk one more time, then, then I'm, I'm quitting, I'm going to quit. And, and I told Don too, because they've moved my desk four times already this year, and I used to be over by the window, and I could see the squirrels, and they were merry, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much, and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and it's not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll set the building on fire...

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”