Senioritis / Quitting-my-job-soon-iorits

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
mgschiet
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:07 pm

Re: Senioritis / Quitting-my-job-soon-iorits

Postby mgschiet » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:47 am

My last day of work was a month ago yesterday...but I'm still getting a paycheck (thanks that wonderful unused vacation time). Funemployment is amazing.

Indifference
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:01 am

Re: Senioritis / Quitting-my-job-soon-iorits

Postby Indifference » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:51 am

20 (work)days left here, including today. :x

User avatar
KMart
Posts: 3627
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

Re: Senioritis / Quitting-my-job-soon-iorits

Postby KMart » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:39 pm

mujiali wrote:20 (work)days left here, including today. :x

Be happy: that ticker is going down another day thanks to today.

FloridaCoastalorbust
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:43 pm

Re: Senioritis / Quitting-my-job-soon-iorits

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:03 pm

Dentist just told me I have to get my wisdom teeth removed. Gonna have to jump on it before I quit work July 31 cuz my law school plan doesn't include dental :cry:

User avatar
KMart
Posts: 3627
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

Re: Senioritis / Quitting-my-job-soon-iorits

Postby KMart » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:05 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Dentist just told me I have to get my wisdom teeth removed. Gonna have to jump on it before I quit work July 31 cuz my law school plan doesn't include dental :cry:

Think of it as more paid days off :lol:.

User avatar
unsweetened
Posts: 590
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:12 pm

Re: Senioritis / Quitting-my-job-soon-iorits

Postby unsweetened » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:33 pm

My boss asked me "What's your exit strategy?" in a meeting with half the department. I responded with "Run as fast as I can." :mrgreen:
3 days left to go. The amount of work being assigned to me is now pretty minimal, only a couple of creative briefs per week.

User avatar
storpappa
Posts: 1397
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:06 am

Re: Senioritis / Quitting-my-job-soon-iorits

Postby storpappa » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:51 pm

Just got this news. Not sad it was anticipated

At this time, however, we have received deposits from more applicants than we have seats available in the first year class. Consequently, we are unable to extend an offer of admission to you this year.

So does this mean some Offers for seats get withdrawn since they are oversold? Or it that just nice WL talk to soften the blow?

User avatar
unsweetened
Posts: 590
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:12 pm

Re: Senioritis / Quitting-my-job-soon-iorits

Postby unsweetened » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:01 pm

storpappa wrote:Just got this news. Not sad it was anticipated

At this time, however, we have received deposits from more applicants than we have seats available in the first year class. Consequently, we are unable to extend an offer of admission to you this year.

So does this mean some Offers for seats get withdrawn since they are oversold? Or it that just nice WL talk to soften the blow?

that sounds positively brutal. reads like offers for seats get withdrawn.

User avatar
ChemEng1642
Posts: 1239
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:26 pm

Re: Senioritis / Quitting-my-job-soon-iorits

Postby ChemEng1642 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:22 pm

unsweetened wrote:
storpappa wrote:Just got this news. Not sad it was anticipated

At this time, however, we have received deposits from more applicants than we have seats available in the first year class. Consequently, we are unable to extend an offer of admission to you this year.

So does this mean some Offers for seats get withdrawn since they are oversold? Or it that just nice WL talk to soften the blow?

that sounds positively brutal. sounds like offers for seats get withdrawn.


What?? The fact that a school can reject a student after already accepting them and accepting a deposit is absurd. Even if they refund the deposit, that will completely change that person's life plan for at least a year. There's no way a school is doing that...I hope it's nice WL talk for the sake of those that have put in deposits

User avatar
Hand
Posts: 3519
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 11:33 am

Re: Senioritis / Quitting-my-job-soon-iorits

Postby Hand » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:24 pm

ChemEng1642 wrote:
unsweetened wrote:
storpappa wrote:Just got this news. Not sad it was anticipated

At this time, however, we have received deposits from more applicants than we have seats available in the first year class. Consequently, we are unable to extend an offer of admission to you this year.

So does this mean some Offers for seats get withdrawn since they are oversold? Or it that just nice WL talk to soften the blow?

that sounds positively brutal. sounds like offers for seats get withdrawn.


What?? The fact that a school can reject a student after already accepting them and accepting a deposit is absurd. Even if they refund the deposit, that will completely change that person's life plan for at least a year. There's no way a school is doing that...I hope it's nice WL talk for the sake of those that have put in deposits

I highly doubt this means offers made will get withdrawn. Rather, they will provide incentives to admitted students to defer, e.g. by offering them a scholarship raise or some such.

ETA: but what it most certainly means is that with respect to this school, you're shit out of luck, storpappa.

User avatar
smile0751
Posts: 400
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:40 pm

Re: Senioritis / Quitting-my-job-soon-iorits

Postby smile0751 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:40 pm

storpappa wrote:Just got this news. Not sad it was anticipated

At this time, however, we have received deposits from more applicants than we have seats available in the first year class. Consequently, we are unable to extend an offer of admission to you this year.

So does this mean some Offers for seats get withdrawn since they are oversold? Or it that just nice WL talk to soften the blow?


Can you share the school?

User avatar
rnoodles
Posts: 7228
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:52 pm

Re: Senioritis / Quitting-my-job-soon-iorits

Postby rnoodles » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:47 pm

smile0751 wrote:
storpappa wrote:Just got this news. Not sad it was anticipated

At this time, however, we have received deposits from more applicants than we have seats available in the first year class. Consequently, we are unable to extend an offer of admission to you this year.

So does this mean some Offers for seats get withdrawn since they are oversold? Or it that just nice WL talk to soften the blow?


Can you share the school?


ND does this.

User avatar
ChemEng1642
Posts: 1239
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:26 pm

Re: Senioritis / Quitting-my-job-soon-iorits

Postby ChemEng1642 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:58 am

Hand wrote:
ChemEng1642 wrote:
unsweetened wrote:
storpappa wrote:Just got this news. Not sad it was anticipated

At this time, however, we have received deposits from more applicants than we have seats available in the first year class. Consequently, we are unable to extend an offer of admission to you this year.

So does this mean some Offers for seats get withdrawn since they are oversold? Or it that just nice WL talk to soften the blow?

that sounds positively brutal. sounds like offers for seats get withdrawn.


What?? The fact that a school can reject a student after already accepting them and accepting a deposit is absurd. Even if they refund the deposit, that will completely change that person's life plan for at least a year. There's no way a school is doing that...I hope it's nice WL talk for the sake of those that have put in deposits

I highly doubt this means offers made will get withdrawn. Rather, they will provide incentives to admitted students to defer, e.g. by offering them a scholarship raise or some such.


Oh phew that is much more reasonable

Indifference
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:01 am

Re: Senioritis / Quitting-my-job-soon-iorits

Postby Indifference » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:11 am

That still sounds rough though. :\

KDgirl
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu May 14, 2015 11:10 am

Re: Senioritis / Quitting-my-job-soon-iorits

Postby KDgirl » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:37 am

I have 6 more working days after today. I applied for a library job working 10 hours per week in the law library... is that going to be killing me or not too bad?

User avatar
storpappa
Posts: 1397
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:06 am

Re: Senioritis / Quitting-my-job-soon-iorits

Postby storpappa » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:47 am

KDgirl wrote:I have 6 more working days after today. I applied for a library job working 10 hours per week in the law library... is that going to be killing me or not too bad?


Does your school have a policy prohibiting 1L's from working in its Code of Conduct agreement?

EDIT - separate from the prior ABA 304(f) or as part of a merit award

User avatar
unsweetened
Posts: 590
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:12 pm

Re: Senioritis / Quitting-my-job-soon-iorits

Postby unsweetened » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:00 pm

Today is my last full day at work.
Surprisingly, I'm still getting new tasks to complete. The DGAF is strong today, very strong.

User avatar
storpappa
Posts: 1397
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:06 am

Re: Senioritis / Quitting-my-job-soon-iorits

Postby storpappa » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:03 pm

unsweetened wrote:Today is my last full day at work.
Surprisingly, I'm still getting new tasks to complete. The DGAF is strong today, very strong.

GRATS! Enjoy the going away party and cake. Just remember that those people may slip and fall one day or develop mesothelioma and call you.

User avatar
KMart
Posts: 3627
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

Re: Senioritis / Quitting-my-job-soon-iorits

Postby KMart » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:21 pm

Unsweetened - love your tar.

KDgirl
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu May 14, 2015 11:10 am

Re: Senioritis / Quitting-my-job-soon-iorits

Postby KDgirl » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:34 pm

storpappa wrote:
KDgirl wrote:I have 6 more working days after today. I applied for a library job working 10 hours per week in the law library... is that going to be killing me or not too bad?


Does your school have a policy prohibiting 1L's from working in its Code of Conduct agreement?

EDIT - separate from the prior ABA 304(f) or as part of a merit award



They do have a policy, but it allows up to 10 hours working in law library and no more and no where else.

User avatar
storpappa
Posts: 1397
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:06 am

Re: Senioritis / Quitting-my-job-soon-iorits

Postby storpappa » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:53 pm

Awesome if you can get it. Could also help with networking

User avatar
unsweetened
Posts: 590
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:12 pm

Re: Senioritis / Quitting-my-job-soon-iorits

Postby unsweetened » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:05 pm

KMart wrote:Unsweetened - love your tar.

Danke 8)

User avatar
unsweetened
Posts: 590
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:12 pm

Re: Senioritis / Quitting-my-job-soon-iorits

Postby unsweetened » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:07 pm

storpappa wrote:
unsweetened wrote:Today is my last full day at work.
Surprisingly, I'm still getting new tasks to complete. The DGAF is strong today, very strong.

GRATS! Enjoy the going away party and cake. Just remember that those people may slip and fall one day or develop mesothelioma and call you.

It'll be a going away pizza party. I'm greatly looking forward to representing my former coworkers with their obesity related disability claims.

KDgirl
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu May 14, 2015 11:10 am

Re: Senioritis / Quitting-my-job-soon-iorits

Postby KDgirl » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:25 pm

storpappa wrote:Awesome if you can get it. Could also help with networking



That's true. It pays around $12 per hour so it would be helping me a lot by giving me $400 extra per month. I just hope it doesn't interfere too much with 1L studying because it isn't a work study position.

KDgirl
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu May 14, 2015 11:10 am

Re: Senioritis / Quitting-my-job-soon-iorits

Postby KDgirl » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:53 pm

I'll be training the new hire that is going to replace for the next week.... I will no longer be able to come to work lazy and only play on the computer because I have to actively do stuff. :roll:




Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests