Senioritis / Quitting-my-job-soon-iorits

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
CaptainJapan

Re: Senioritis / Quitting-my-job-soon-iorits

Postby CaptainJapan » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:04 pm

It's review season and I'm starting to realize the folly of my plans to keep Law School secret. I'm supposed to meet with my boss to discuss "how I can take on more responsibility"

I'm open to suggestions from the TLS community

WhiskeyAndCupcakes

Postby WhiskeyAndCupcakes » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:09 pm

Last edited by WhiskeyAndCupcakes on Fri May 29, 2015 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RCSOB657

Postby RCSOB657 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:09 pm

How close are you to moving, and do you have enough savings saved up to leave today?

I'd listen to what he had to say and perhaps respond with. "Boss I agree that I should be taking more responsibility, in that light I humbly give my two weeks notice. I'm going to XYZ law school (you could or could not fib there up to you) in the fall. So how can I help until then?"

BTW, if you're about to get a bad review I'd just resign there.

nosocat

Postby nosocat » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:13 pm

CaptainJapan wrote:It's review season and I'm starting to realize the folly of my plans to keep Law School secret. I'm supposed to meet with my boss to discuss "how I can take on more responsibility"

I'm open to suggestions from the TLS community

Is it the type of place where you could tell them now without negative repercussions (i.e., getting let go)? I actually brought it up at my review. I like my boss and coworkers, so I did not want to leave them in a pickle, and thought the "planning for the future" discussion would be a good time to talk about how we needed to start training others on what I do because of my impending departure.

WhiskeyAndCupcakes

Postby WhiskeyAndCupcakes » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:18 pm

Last edited by WhiskeyAndCupcakes on Fri May 29, 2015 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dog

Postby Dog » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:23 pm

I'm still debating when I'm going to let work know. I'm thinking at least a month before I leave, but more than that and it could backfire on me.

CaptainJapan

Postby CaptainJapan » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:29 pm

Dog wrote:I'm still debating when I'm going to let work know. I'm thinking at least a month before I leave, but more than that and it could backfire on me.

This is my situation, too. Nobody leaves my industry for law, and the nature of my work is very cyclical, so I have a good exit point coming up in 2 months. I'll have to scrape up a few nothing answers for the review. Thanks everyone for the help.

commandercup

Postby commandercup » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:37 pm

HokieHi307 wrote:I want to change my username now and can't figure out how oh god oh god.

Off Topic: A fellow Hokie! :mrgreen:

On Topic: I'm a UG senior with a 21-credit semester. Someone help me focus. The sad part is that I was ready to graduate in December with a job in SF, but I stuck around another semester for a second degree. :cry:

ChemEng1642

Postby ChemEng1642 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:11 pm

Leaving work at 3 today aww yeahhhh

kanthandleit

Postby kanthandleit » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:01 pm

nosocat wrote:I keep checking this thread for updates from The New One (i.e., the empanada).

Hah! I just saw this. Was out of the country for one week and out of the...life last week (bereavement) so I just now saw this. I return to the office on Monday after falling off Earth for 2 weeks, can you sense my excitement?

I can only imagine the things they've been saying about my prolonged absence. I think with everything that is going on in my IRL, just one peep from those two will send me into the ragey tirade they deserve.

Will update, of course. I have a few family things going on so not sure if I'm quitting at the end of May or have to stay here through June. I'm so ready to GTFO!

CaptainJapan

Postby CaptainJapan » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:06 pm

Update on my review: "meets expectations"

That's pretty generous for someone who spent the morning listening to The Wall on youtube.

tuxedocat

Postby tuxedocat » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:07 pm

Literally had this conversation with my boss this morning.

Boss: Don't you think you should put in more of an effort?

Me: No

Gray

Postby Gray » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:20 pm

Boss: Nice job yesterday - keep up the good work.
Me: *minimizes browser, nods, smiles in confusion.*

RCSOB657

Postby RCSOB657 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:27 pm

Must be nice to have an office job like that. Hard to do "nothing" when one actually has daily actions or heaven forbid labor to get done.

Gray

Postby Gray » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:34 pm

RCSOB657 wrote:Must be nice to have an office job like that. Hard to do "nothing" when one actually has daily actions or heaven forbid labor to get done.

I actually much preferred my previous job where my productivity was very closely monitored, as was web browsing. It was much less mind numbing.

kanthandleit

Postby kanthandleit » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:35 pm

RCSOB657 wrote:Must be nice to have an office job like that.

Here I am surrounded by stacks of junk and my email piling up and my bosses all throwing more junk at me and all I wanna do is plan for my upcoming AS weekend!

My attorneys have gotten to the point where I'll be drowning with work but I'll walk into their office to ask a question only to find them browsing AOL.com (really) or researching timeshares. :x Bye, TLS, back to knee-deep for now.

RCSOB657

Postby RCSOB657 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:36 pm

Gray wrote:
RCSOB657 wrote:Must be nice to have an office job like that. Hard to do "nothing" when one actually has daily actions or heaven forbid labor to get done.

I actually much preferred my previous job where my productivity was very closely monitored, as was web browsing. It was much less mind numbing.

Makes sense.

Gray

Postby Gray » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:37 pm

RCSOB657 wrote:
Gray wrote:

Makes sense.

I also actually LIKED my coworkers there, so that might play into it.

Dog

Postby Dog » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:44 pm

I actually had to put in a lot of work last night and now Canadian border guards are doing their best to ruin my day.

Gray

Postby Gray » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:47 pm

Dog wrote:I actually had to put in a lot of work last night and now Canadian border guards are doing their best to ruin my day.

on behalf of all Canadians, WE'RE SINCERELY SORRY!

buckiguy_sucks

Post removed.

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:49 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

NotASpecialSnowflake

Postby NotASpecialSnowflake » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:54 pm

The more time I take off, the less productive I am at work.

CaptainJapan

Postby CaptainJapan » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:55 pm

NotASpecialSnowflake wrote:The more time I take off, the less productive I am at work.

+1

RCSOB657

Postby RCSOB657 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:03 pm

I've had to go through Canadian border security a couple times. One time I had to ask my company to route me home so I can drop off a firearm. Not illegal here in the States of course, but a no go there. I didn't tell him I had one so I told him I would need to drop my dog off first because I didn't have papers for her. Lucky me for following Canadian law as I was inspected that trip. So much for high tech snooping though, I had to unlock my laptop for them (biometric). The 6 hour delay sucked though.

CaptainJapan

Postby CaptainJapan » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:05 pm

RCSOB657 wrote:I've had to go through Canadian border security a couple times. One time I had to ask my company to route me home so I can drop off a firearm. Not illegal here in the States of course, but a no go there. I didn't tell him I had one so I told him I would need to drop my dog off first because I didn't have papers for her. Lucky me for following Canadian law as I was inspected that trip. So much for high tech snooping though, I had to unlock my laptop for them (biometric).

Never cross the Canadian border without Hockey sticks in the back seat. They let you right through.

I'm half kidding.

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”