Senioritis / Quitting-my-job-soon-iorits

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
OhBoyOhBortles

Re: Senioritis / Quitting-my-job-soon-iorits

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:10 pm

theramblingfool wrote:
TasmanianToucan wrote:
theramblingfool wrote:Just moved out of my apartment I lived in for two years, probably my favorite place I ever lived, to live in a shithole big, old house with friends rent-free until I move away in August. I keep telling myself I'm saving a ton of money, but it's gonna be a rough adjustment. To give you an idea: it took days of cleaning to get this place just liveable, no AC at all, the ceiling in my room is slowly falling down and, as I found out during the thunderstorm yesterday, it rains in my room.

Can't wait 'til August!

The fact that it rains in your room is directly related to why the ceiling is falling down. Never mind that it's a shithole; are you sure this place is safe?

Well, I know that. I just didn't discover the raining thing until later, and it wasn't super obvious, because I'm not on the top floor/there isn't a clear line of sight to the outside.

Safe? Yeah, in that I'll likely leave alive.

Alive is good. August will come sooner than you think.

wonka

Post removed.

Postby wonka » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:21 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by wonka on Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hand

Postby Hand » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:22 pm

wonka wrote:last week of work, y'all.

ugh, if only I could say the same

8 weeks to go, including this one

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:23 pm

Hand wrote:

+1

Gray

Postby Gray » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:25 pm

10.5 weeks including this one

:cry:

Hand

Postby Hand » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:27 pm

Gray wrote:10.5 weeks including this one

You'll be working from home most of those though. I'll be sitting here in a cubicle next to a guy who shreds padded envelopes with his hands, into little squares, all of the same size, before discarding them.

Big Red

Postby Big Red » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:28 pm

:? Sorry to hear you guys have so much time left, but on the bright side it means you don't have to deal with awkward goodbyes (or, God forbid, a party) for a little while longer.

theramblingfool

Postby theramblingfool » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:29 pm

Hand wrote:

You'll be working from home most of those though. I'll be sitting here in a cubicle next to a guy who shreds padded envelopes with his hands, into little squares, all of the same size, before discarding them.

TBF, that's objectively better than shredding them into squares of varying sizes.

Big Red

Postby Big Red » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:31 pm

Hand wrote:

Hah I used to have to shred booklets before scanning them on occasion. Knew I was annoying everyone within a 4 cubicle radius around me and felt :roll:

Gray

Postby Gray » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:31 pm

Big Red wrote::? Sorry to hear you guys have so much time left, but on the bright side it means you don't have to deal with awkward goodbyes (or, God forbid, a party) for a little while longer.

Oh I get the worst of both worlds because I'm leaving the country in 2.5 weeks.

Hand

Postby Hand » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:33 pm

theramblingfool wrote:
Hand wrote:

TBF, that's objectively better than shredding them into squares of varying sizes.

Hmm once you're in shredding-padded-envelopes-by-hand-territory, objective standards fall by the wayside, I'd say

Hand

Postby Hand » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:34 pm

Big Red wrote:
Hand wrote:

Hah I used to have to shred booklets before scanning them on occasion. Knew I was annoying everyone within a 4 cubicle radius around me and felt :roll:

"have to" in the sense of "had a good reason to" or in the sense of "OCD OCD OCD MUST SHRED" ?

wonka

Post removed.

Postby wonka » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:37 pm

Post removed.

Big Red

Postby Big Red » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:38 pm

Hand wrote:
Big Red wrote:
Hand wrote:

"have to" in the sense of "had a good reason to" or in the sense of "OCD OCD OCD MUST SHRED" ?

"shred" in the sense of "pull pages apart so they can be fed into the scanner."

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:40 pm

wonka wrote:
OhBoyOhBortles wrote:
Hand wrote:

+1

you'll get there. just keep shitpoasting, just keep shitpoasting.

i have to say, the all-staff departure email was pretty sweet. the interactions i've since had with various coworkers i never talk to have been bizarre though. i'm honestly surprised by the amount of vaguely passive-aggressive "well wishes" that are thrown around every time i get up from my desk...

"law school huh? what a good experience" paired with a vacant smile and a power-walk out of the room so i don't have time to respond. this exact thing has happened 3 times.

in random kitchen conversations: "of course, this doesn't apply to people like you - you'll forget about us normal ones soon"

etc. etc.

anyone else get this?

"Don't forget about all us little people when you're up in your ivory tower" was my favorite.
A few comments here and there about being "super-rich"/not having to worry about anything in a few years as well.

Hand

Postby Hand » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:41 pm

Big Red wrote:
Hand wrote:
Big Red wrote:
Hand wrote:

"shred" in the sense of "pull pages apart so they can be fed into the scanner."

That sounds forgivable. I mean I'd still hate you for it if I was sitting in the same cubicle, but my murder fantasies would definitely be considerably less graphic than they are w/r/t this guy.

wonka

Post removed.

Postby wonka » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:41 pm

Post removed.

Hand

Postby Hand » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:42 pm

OhBoyOhBortles wrote:
wonka wrote:i have to say, the all-staff departure email was pretty sweet. the interactions i've since had with various coworkers i never talk to have been bizarre though. i'm honestly surprised by the amount of vaguely passive-aggressive "well wishes" that are thrown around every time i get up from my desk...

"law school huh? what a good experience" paired with a vacant smile and a power-walk out of the room so i don't have time to respond. this exact thing has happened 3 times.

in random kitchen conversations: "of course, this doesn't apply to people like you - you'll forget about us normal ones soon"

etc. etc.

anyone else get this?

"Don't forget about all us little people when you're up in your ivory tower" was my favorite.
A few comments here and there about being "super-rich"/not having to worry about anything in a few years as well.

Most of my co-workers don't know I'm going to LS, since I gave my spouse's job as the reason for having to relocate and quit.

Big Red

Postby Big Red » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:44 pm

wonka wrote:
OhBoyOhBortles wrote:
Hand wrote:

+1

you'll get there. just keep shitpoasting, just keep shitpoasting.

i have to say, the all-staff departure email was pretty sweet. the interactions i've since had with various coworkers i never talk to have been bizarre though. i'm honestly surprised by the amount of vaguely passive-aggressive "well wishes" that are thrown around every time i get up from my desk...

etc. etc.

anyone else get this?

Yeah, I caught a little bit of that but, honestly, what are people supposed to say? Even people that are genuinely happy for you just kind of smile. I figured it had more to do with the silly passive-aggressive/sarcastic office humor than it did jealousy or something like that.

storpappa

Postby storpappa » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:48 pm

Did you ever notice that it only rains in your apartment when you are sad?

Maybe you are an alien princess trapped in a shity apartment

Gray

Postby Gray » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:50 pm

storpappa wrote:Did you ever notice that it only rains in your apartment when you are sad?

TY Men in Black.

wonka

Post removed.

Postby wonka » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:00 pm

Post removed.

theramblingfool

Postby theramblingfool » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:04 pm

storpappa wrote:Did you ever notice that it only rains in your apartment when you are sad?

I *know* I'm an alien princess. I just never made the connection between that and my shanty accommodations.

storpappa

Postby storpappa » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:26 pm

Just in case you're in need to an uplift today

storpappa

Postby storpappa » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:39 pm

And this is great, to help pass the remaining hours of a Monsay

in case you don't know

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”