Senioritis / Quitting-my-job-soon-iorits

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
NotASpecialSnowflake

Re: Senioritis / Quitting-my-job-soon-iorits

Postby NotASpecialSnowflake » Thu May 21, 2015 10:27 am

TasmanianToucan wrote:The hell with donuts, bring kolaches! Or breakfast tacos!

What are kolaches? I gotta visit Texas sometime it sounds like a completely different world

TasmanianToucan

Postby TasmanianToucan » Thu May 21, 2015 10:30 am

NotASpecialSnowflake wrote:
TasmanianToucan wrote:The hell with donuts, bring kolaches! Or breakfast tacos!

What are kolaches? I gotta visit Texas sometime it sounds like a completely different world

Kolaches are fluffy pastries sent directly from heaven that generally contain sausage/ham, cheese, and may or may not have jalapenos.

As a yankee living in Texas I can definitely confirm it is very different and worth a visit.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu May 21, 2015 10:32 am

Without outing yourself - even though employers probably don't know this site exists, but could presumably check your browser history - what industry do you all work in and what do your responsibilities include?

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Thu May 21, 2015 10:34 am

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Without outing yourself - even though employers probably don't know this site exists, but could presumably check your browser history - what industry do you all work in and what do your responsibilities include?

not the right thread for this. ITT we talk about avoiding work, rather than the responsibilities we should be taking care of.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu May 21, 2015 10:36 am

OhBoyOhBortles wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Without outing yourself - even though employers probably don't know this site exists, but could presumably check your browser history - what industry do you all work in and what do your responsibilities include?

not the right thread for this. ITT we talk about avoiding work, rather than the responsibilities we should be taking care of.

:roll: :cry:

Kinky John

Postby Kinky John » Thu May 21, 2015 10:41 am

look at me. this is my job now

storpappa

Postby storpappa » Thu May 21, 2015 10:41 am

I work for a security firm, where I go onto forums for law schools and med school students, and gather data on people to out them, then sell the data to potential employers as part of package on C&F. What you post now will haunt you in 5-7 years when you go to make partner.

Nah, but local browser history isn't your problem if you are using a proxy and a secure browser. Its not like the company can't just look at the firewall logs and see what you are doing. I mean, who would think there are other ways to track your activity all day, like watching the wire and packet sniffing the amount of data flowing by type.

theramblingfool

Postby theramblingfool » Thu May 21, 2015 10:48 am

Software Engineer

The response is always "Why are you quitting your job to go back to school?! You've already got a good job."

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu May 21, 2015 10:57 am

Web Design/Marketing, I'm responsible for project management to some extent and everything related to content, copywriting, and SEO. I actually don't know how I get away with TLSing so much - I guess I just get a ton done really quickly in sporadic productive bursts.

storpappa

Postby storpappa » Thu May 21, 2015 11:04 am

I just got off the phone with a new flag and flagpole store. The store I had been using for 4 years closed down and although their website is still up and VM takes messages, they don't have anyone working there in the vacant store.

That means tomorrow I get to go on a road trip and check out a new store, and buy some new flags - YEAH
What a great way to start off the holiday weekend

I need an everyday US Flag, then I have been flying a USN and a POW/MIA flag on the two yardarms. I am considering replacing the POW?MIA flag with an Alabama flag, either the Alabama State flag, the U of A school flag, or U of A Law School flag ... any thoughts?

buckiguy_sucks

Post removed.

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Thu May 21, 2015 11:06 am

Post removed.
Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

storpappa

Postby storpappa » Thu May 21, 2015 11:12 am

It's not like you can just walk into a Home Deport or Lowes or Wal-Mart or Target for these things

TasmanianToucan

Postby TasmanianToucan » Thu May 21, 2015 11:22 am

storpappa wrote:I just got off the phone with a new flag and flagpole store. The store I had been using for 4 years closed down and although their website is still up and VM takes messages, they don't have anyone working there in the vacant store.

That means tomorrow I get to go on a road trip and check out a new store, and buy some new flags - YEAH
What a great way to start off the holiday weekend

I need an everyday US Flag, then I have been flying a USN and a POW/MIA flag on the two yardarms. I am considering replacing the POW?MIA flag with an Alabama flag, either the Alabama State flag, the U of A school flag, or U of A Law School flag ... any thoughts?

I would keep the POWMIA, especially through the weekend.
Other times, maybe have an Alabama and U of A flag that can fly as a pair sometimes so that you can keep Navy and POWMIA together on days when you fly those?

storpappa

Postby storpappa » Thu May 21, 2015 11:28 am

Yeah, I figured take down the POW/MIA flag and replace it with the State or School flag when I leave to go to school, and when I am home, switch

I have a collection of flags for special days / events in the calendar, but those are only flown for the day or weekend. Two large and commemorative or sentimental value to let them get ruined by the elements.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu May 21, 2015 11:58 am

Gray wrote:

Web Design/Marketing, I'm responsible for project management to some extent and everything related to content, copywriting, and SEO. I actually don't know how I get away with TLSing so much - I guess I just get a ton done really quickly in sporadic productive bursts.

I've mastered the ability to do my work very quickly with minimal effort :)

secadc11

Postby secadc11 » Thu May 21, 2015 12:02 pm

28 work days left!! Prob 27 because I still have one more personal day to take somewhere in there. :D

tuxedocat

Postby tuxedocat » Thu May 21, 2015 12:56 pm

OnFleek wrote:Been lurking this thread for a long time now, but only now has my work boredom gotten to the level that I decided to post.

Also, I just really wanted to share that I had my first law school stress dream last night: I was at the first day of classes. There was a great breakfast buffet with bagels. I was all relaxed and chatting with people until I found out that I had neglected to do the assignment for the first day. We go into the lecture hall, and the professor is none other than my personal s-hero RBG. I then spent what felt like hours in a panic thinking that she was going to cold call me and I would be totally unprepared, ruling out any possibility that one day she would hire me as a clerk or agree to be my adoptive grandmother.

This cracked me up. Good dream work.

storpappa

Postby storpappa » Thu May 21, 2015 1:08 pm

secadc11 wrote:28 work days left!! Prob 27 because I still have one more personal day to take somewhere in there. :D

Did you count Monday as holiday off?

secadc11

Postby secadc11 » Thu May 21, 2015 1:43 pm

storpappa wrote:
secadc11 wrote:28 work days left!! Prob 27 because I still have one more personal day to take somewhere in there. :D

Did you count Monday as holiday off?

Yep! July 3rd too, and two upcoming personal days I've requested.

storpappa

Postby storpappa » Thu May 21, 2015 1:47 pm

Good time if the year for short timers. Holidays, company picnics and nice weather

TasmanianToucan

Postby TasmanianToucan » Thu May 21, 2015 2:15 pm

storpappa wrote:Good time if the year for short timers. Holidays, company picnics and nice weather

+1, except not getting any of those company picnics. Here in the oil bidness things are a little tight right now.

If y'all could go ahead and crank your ACs and take long car trips that would be just peachy. All that gas ain't gonna buy itself!

theramblingfool

Postby theramblingfool » Thu May 21, 2015 2:26 pm

TasmanianToucan wrote:
storpappa wrote:Good time if the year for short timers. Holidays, company picnics and nice weather

+1, except not getting any of those company picnics. Here in the oil bidness things are a little tight right now.

If y'all could go ahead and crank your ACs and take long car trips that would be just peachy. All that gas ain't gonna buy itself!

I, layman that I am, would assume the problem right now isn't volume of sales so much as margin, no?

TasmanianToucan

Postby TasmanianToucan » Thu May 21, 2015 2:31 pm

theramblingfool wrote:
TasmanianToucan wrote:

I, layman that I am, would assume the problem right now isn't volume of sales so much as margin, no?

You're absolutely right. But the margin is determined by the price of crude which is supply and demand driven (partly by current S&D and partly by speculated future S&D). Right now we have too much supply for the demand. Unless some of you have some weight with the Saudis and can talk them into slowing down a bit (in which case we need to talk; F*** law school we're going into business) all you can do is to do your part to drive up demand.

The other side of the margin is the price to extract the oil, which is the sum total of everything from exploration to transporting the crude. Some wells are really cheap, like in Saudi, where they can basically shove a pipe into the ground and oil will come out (There Will Be Blood style). US production is so squeezed because all of our fracking and offshore wells (which is a huge portion of our production) have high "break even prices" (the price of crude needed to make the well profitable) like in the high 70 or low 80 dollar range.

Edit: Clarification.
Last edited by TasmanianToucan on Thu May 21, 2015 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

storpappa

Postby storpappa » Thu May 21, 2015 2:39 pm

Remember, gasoline is a waste product from the cracking process of #1 and #2 oils. That's why pump prices go down in the winter

theramblingfool

Postby theramblingfool » Thu May 21, 2015 2:43 pm

TasmanianToucan wrote:Some wells are really cheap, like in Saudi, where they can basically shove a pipe into the ground and oil will come out (There Will Be Blood style). US production is so squeezed because all of our fracking and offshore wells (which is a huge portion of our production) have high "break even prices" (the price of crude needed to make the well profitable) like in the high 70 or low 80 dollar range.

Edit: Clarification.

Oh sweet, I didn't know this!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”