Senioritis / Quitting-my-job-soon-iorits

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
Kinky John

Re: Senioritis / Quitting-my-job-soon-iorits

Postby Kinky John » Thu May 14, 2015 4:49 pm

usn26 wrote:
Kinky John wrote:
usn26 wrote:
Kinky John wrote:Edit: And my go to fake illness is IBS, fwiw

+1. Best to pick something that discourages followup questions.

"So...are we talking type 6 or type 7 stool?"

"Are you familiar with type 23? That's when it comes out shaped like a religious figure."

Holy shit

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu May 14, 2015 4:57 pm

ChemEng1642 wrote:I have literally done nothing today. I've even run out of things I can do for my personal life at work

I heard dat. You get your phd at cornell?

wonka

Post removed.

Postby wonka » Thu May 14, 2015 5:04 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by wonka on Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

storpappa

Postby storpappa » Thu May 14, 2015 5:22 pm

usn26 wrote:

Just say something classy

ChemEng1642

Postby ChemEng1642 » Thu May 14, 2015 5:34 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:
ChemEng1642 wrote:I have literally done nothing today. I've even run out of things I can do for my personal life at work

I heard dat. You get your phd at cornell?

nope

the biggest issue I'm having now though is not eating all the chips that are sitting next to me. Too lazy to even put them away. This is what lack of work has done.

usn26

Postby usn26 » Thu May 14, 2015 5:48 pm

storpappa wrote:
usn26 wrote:

Just say something classy

Bob's Burgers is my source for all things classy and awesome.

storpappa

Postby storpappa » Fri May 15, 2015 7:09 am

I was in Court yesterday, and had the opportunity to speak with a few graduates of the local TTTT.
The TTTT graduates all had horrible low paying jobs at the local prosecutors office, and one was talking to a team of lawyers from a local firm. Obviously trying to scout for a job. I asked the TTTT guy "What was the reason you gave up a spot at a T14 to attend locally? Did you get a full ride merit?"

To the humor of his job prospects and me he responds "What is a T14?" and "No, it was always my dream to go there, I didn't know about jobs or anything until I was in school". I said "The sad thing about going to the TTTT is that once you are there, you are stuck. Its not like you can get out and go to a good school", and again to the smirks of the rest of us he says "Well, some people can transfer out, I mean you would have to be at the top of the class and that wasn't me, but some people do transfer out"

In all the interactions with the local TTTT graduates, I find people who just don't know. They graduated years ago when the school was still not a good school, but the market could handle their graduates. As the market went away, the recent graduates seem to just not do any homework at all.

I asked the Judge as I do every chance I get in their different Court rooms after cases are done, and every time they all give the same answer - They went out of state or, don't even look at the TTTT, go to the best school you can get into. It didn't hurt their careers

Has anyone else who has been working or getting arrested and having to appear often, had an opportunity to ask your local sitting Judges for any 0L advice?

Kinky John

Postby Kinky John » Fri May 15, 2015 8:50 am

Ya - when I was in undergrad, the professor for my law and society course was a judge. I think he might've worked for the ACLU at some point, too.

Anyway, I was in class and he asked us to raise our hands if we were thinking about going to law school. Almost everyone in the class raised their hand. He then asked if anyone had been accepted yet and if so where they were headed. This one "gunner" stood up and shouted "I'm going to Valpo!"

The professor smirked and said something like "Hey, congratulations! That's a great school, so you'll get a great job." I just sat there in shock. How could he tell the class that Valpo was OK? Even with a full ride, that kid was going to have less than a coin flip's chance at being a lawyer.

I proudly stood up, and the professor stopped dead in his tracks. He knew what was coming. I took a deep breath and bellowed:

"Retake."

The class was in shock. The gunner began to cry and he ran out. The professor was immediately disbarred, and the applause from my fellow students was heard all the way at the supreme court, where I was offered a clerkship with Antonin Scalia.

My name? Albert Einstein.

liberalartslawyer

Postby liberalartslawyer » Fri May 15, 2015 9:08 am

storpappa wrote:I was in Court yesterday, and had the opportunity to speak with a few graduates of the local TTTT.
The TTTT graduates all had horrible low paying jobs at the local prosecutors office, and one was talking to a team of lawyers from a local firm. Obviously trying to scout for a job. I asked the TTTT guy "What was the reason you gave up a spot at a T14 to attend locally? Did you get a full ride merit?"

To the humor of his job prospects and me he responds "What is a T14?" and "No, it was always my dream to go there, I didn't know about jobs or anything until I was in school". I said "The sad thing about going to the TTTT is that once you are there, you are stuck. Its not like you can get out and go to a good school", and again to the smirks of the rest of us he says "Well, some people can transfer out, I mean you would have to be at the top of the class and that wasn't me, but some people do transfer out"

In all the interactions with the local TTTT graduates, I find people who just don't know. They graduated years ago when the school was still not a good school, but the market could handle their graduates. As the market went away, the recent graduates seem to just not do any homework at all.

I asked the Judge as I do every chance I get in their different Court rooms after cases are done, and every time they all give the same answer - They went out of state or, don't even look at the TTTT, go to the best school you can get into. It didn't hurt their careers

Has anyone else who has been working or getting arrested and having to appear often, had an opportunity to ask your local sitting Judges for any 0L advice?

You actually told him that he was stuck? That seems a little rude. Maybe it is phrasing in your retelling of the tale, but this sounds kind of like a jerk move tbh. It's not like he can go back in time and get his degree from a better school.

CaptainJapan

Postby CaptainJapan » Fri May 15, 2015 9:20 am

Kinky John wrote:Ya - when I was in undergrad, the professor for my law and society course was a judge. I think he might've worked for the ACLU at some point, too.

Anyway, I was in class and he asked us to raise our hands if we were thinking about going to law school. Almost everyone in the class raised their hand. He then asked if anyone had been accepted yet and if so where they were headed. This one "gunner" stood up and shouted "I'm going to Valpo!"

The professor smirked and said something like "Hey, congratulations! That's a great school, so you'll get a great job." I just sat there in shock. How could he tell the class that Valpo was OK? Even with a full ride, that kid was going to have less than a coin flip's chance at being a lawyer.

I proudly stood up, and the professor stopped dead in his tracks. He knew what was coming. I took a deep breath and bellowed:

"Retake."

The class was in shock. The gunner began to cry and he ran out. The professor was immediately disbarred, and the applause from my fellow students was heard all the way at the supreme court, where I was offered a clerkship with Antonin Scalia.

My name? Albert Einstein.

(slow clap)

storpappa

Postby storpappa » Fri May 15, 2015 9:22 am

He already graduated and had a job

My comment was that the sad thing about going to a TTTT is that once you (the student body) are stuck. You was not a pejorative to that individual but a comment on the plight of those conned into going. It's bad enough betting that you will be in the 40% or 59% to get any job, but to think that once any incoming bright eyed student realizes that they could land in the 5% and get up and out.

Does someone get what they deserve when they pick a school based on local bus ads? It's not 20 years ago where they might not have owned a 14.4 modem and had a CompuServ account or access to a law school BBS

WhiskeyAndCupcakes

Postby WhiskeyAndCupcakes » Fri May 15, 2015 9:29 am

Last edited by WhiskeyAndCupcakes on Fri May 29, 2015 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris Manifesto

Postby Chris Manifesto » Fri May 15, 2015 9:32 am

Anybody else actually angry that they're still showing up to work or is it just me? The annoyance of having to show up and sit here for 8 hours a day is reaching all-time highs

TasmanianToucan

Postby TasmanianToucan » Fri May 15, 2015 9:33 am

storpappa wrote:I was in Court yesterday, and had the opportunity to speak with a few graduates of the local TTTT.

I do not have the balls to ask judges hearing cases on which I am working for career advice, mostly for two reasons:
1) My current employer would flay me alive.
2) In TX judges have shotguns they keep behind the bench to shoot people who annoy them.

ChemEng1642

Postby ChemEng1642 » Fri May 15, 2015 9:42 am

WhiskeyAndCupcakes wrote:Less talk about law school rankings and job prospects and "retake," more talk about being too lazy to put away the chips you're eating.

+1

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Fri May 15, 2015 9:43 am

ChemEng1642 wrote:
WhiskeyAndCupcakes wrote:Less talk about law school rankings and job prospects and "retake," more talk about being too lazy to put away the chips you're eating.

+1

+2

Kinky John

Postby Kinky John » Fri May 15, 2015 9:44 am

OhBoyOhBortles wrote:
ChemEng1642 wrote:

+1

+2

Gray

Postby Gray » Fri May 15, 2015 9:50 am

CaptainJapan

Postby CaptainJapan » Fri May 15, 2015 9:53 am

Chris Manifesto wrote:Anybody else actually angry that they're still showing up to work or is it just me? The annoyance of having to show up and sit here for 8 hours a day is reaching all-time highs

I'm here. Putting in my two-weeks on Monday as a result--it's at the point where the cost of completely wasting 5 days a week is outweighing the benefit of a bi-monthly paycheck. Fun-employment is so close I can taste it now.

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Fri May 15, 2015 9:53 am

Planning the weekend getaway SO and I will be taking in about a little over a month for our anniversary. Found something modest on groupon and now I'm fleshing out what we'll actually be doing.

Gray

Postby Gray » Fri May 15, 2015 9:54 am

CaptainJapan wrote:
    Chris Manifesto wrote:Anybody else actually angry that they're still showing up to work or is it just me? The annoyance of having to show up and sit here for 8 hours a day is reaching all-time highs

I'm here. Putting in my two-weeks on Monday as a result--it's at the point where the cost of completely wasting 5 days a week is outweighing the benefit of a bi-monthly paycheck. Fun-employment is so close I can taste it now.

you have no idea how much I want to do this. I need the money REAL BAD though so I'm stuck in this situation.

TasmanianToucan

Postby TasmanianToucan » Fri May 15, 2015 9:54 am

I'm so lazy that going to pick up my paycheck seems like an unreasonable amount of work...

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Fri May 15, 2015 9:56 am

CaptainJapan wrote:

Congrats Cap'n! Enjoy it

Gray

Postby Gray » Fri May 15, 2015 9:58 am

OhBoyOhBortles wrote:Planning the weekend getaway SO and I will be taking in about a little over a month for our anniversary. Found something modest on groupon and now I'm fleshing out what we'll actually be doing.

My anniversary is tomorrow and our plan is a tentative "do nothing all day and then probably go out for dinner."

tortsandtiaras

Postby tortsandtiaras » Fri May 15, 2015 10:00 am

So an UPDATE:

I completely chickened out at my meeting today - but for good reason I believe. I have been bombarded with so many projects and work lately, that I have been completely burnt out. My boss noticed I was frazzled at our meeting today, and sincerely apologized for neglecting me and lacking to help me more with my projects. It seemed like a really bad time to bring up the "hey! I have all this work but its cool cause I'm quitting next month!"

On the Brightside, he is now scheduling weekly meetings, so that I can update him with my work and help out any way he can. I guess next Friday it is?

:(

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”