Senioritis / Quitting-my-job-soon-iorits

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
buckiguy_sucks

Re: Senioritis / Quitting-my-job-soon-iorits

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:15 pm

Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dipper

Postby Dipper » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:22 pm

curlietop86 wrote:
Gray wrote:^^ accurate.

how are you guys managing to balance fear of spending money (FOSM?) and online shopping? i'm fighting the temptation and trying to save money for a new macbook this summer (mine is a late 2009 edition, sigh).

ETA: i just submitted this post while on a 5 person video conference call.

I'm a habitual browser and shopping cart-filler, but very rarely purchase anything. I do this by telling myself I don't know where I'll be next year, so how can I possibly commit to that very adorable but much too warm cashmere blend sweater. If I get really tempted I switch gears to browsing apartments.

curlietop86

Postby curlietop86 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:31 pm

Last edited by curlietop86 on Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

FairchildFLT

Postby FairchildFLT » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:54 pm

I've put about $1,250 into my car in the last month. I haven't gotten to the inside yet. I probably should have put that in savings...

nickhalden

Postby nickhalden » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:52 pm

curlietop86 wrote:

how are you guys managing to balance fear of spending money (FOSM?) and online shopping? i'm fighting the temptation and trying to save money for a new macbook this summer (mine is a late 2009 edition, sigh).

I check a couple of clothing websites several times a week and whenever I get an email about a good sale. I also track my clothing purchases to establish benchmark discounts and purchase prices for items. Unless an item is exceptional (e.g. white dress shirt) or it compares favorably to the benchmarks, I don't even consider it.

Hand

Postby Hand » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:04 pm

nickhalden wrote:
curlietop86 wrote:

I check a couple of clothing websites several times a week and whenever I get an email about a good sale. I also track my clothing purchases to establish benchmark discounts and purchase prices for items. Unless an item is exceptional (e.g. white dress shirt) or it compares favorably to the benchmarks, I don't even consider it.

HRomanus I don't know why I hadn't spotted you before but I'm glad to see you're still around

HokieHi307

Postby HokieHi307 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:35 am

curlietop86 wrote:

I'm usually really bad about spending money and I'm so not looking forward to being a broke student again, so I've been saving like mad. I'd recommend getting a money app on your phone if you don't already have one -- Level works really well for me, it tells you how much money you can spend per day/week/months and when you go over budget. But it's so stressful! I want new summer clothes!

IsThisForReal

Postby IsThisForReal » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:21 am

FairchildFLT wrote:I've put about $1,250 into my car in the last month. I haven't gotten to the inside yet. I probably should have put that in savings...

Me too. Stuck between dumping a bunch of money into the car I'm restoring to get it done before I move or save that money for school.

CaptainJapan

Postby CaptainJapan » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:40 am

I realized a few weeks ago that I have 0 formal attire...I work in a very casual corporate office and haven't bought a suit/blazer/dress shoes since prep school. Probably going to have to sink some money into that before school starts...

Gray

Postby Gray » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:22 am

Dipper wrote:
curlietop86 wrote:

I'm a habitual browser and shopping cart-filler, but very rarely purchase anything. I do this by telling myself I don't know where I'll be next year, so how can I possibly commit to that very adorable but much too warm cashmere blend sweater. If I get really tempted I switch gears to browsing apartments.

+1 so much

Hand

Postby Hand » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:08 pm

hereisonehand wrote:
nickhalden wrote:
curlietop86 wrote:

HRomanus I don't know why I hadn't spotted you before but I'm glad to see you're still around

Did a mod edit both the original post and my quote? I would bet my left leg that it originally said banana republic and jcrew instead of "a couple of clothing websites"

FairchildFLT

Postby FairchildFLT » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:43 pm

IsThisForReal wrote:
FairchildFLT wrote:I've put about $1,250 into my car in the last month. I haven't gotten to the inside yet. I probably should have put that in savings...

Me too. Stuck between dumping a bunch of money into the car I'm restoring to get it done before I move or save that money for school.

I'm just ricing my Subaru out. I totaled my last one about a month ago (not my fault) so I had to start all over. Cold air intake, catback exhaust...etc etc...

NotASpecialSnowflake

Postby NotASpecialSnowflake » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:53 pm

CaptainJapan wrote:I realized a few weeks ago that I have 0 formal attire...I work in a very casual corporate office and haven't bought a suit/blazer/dress shoes since prep school. Probably going to have to sink some money into that before school starts...

This. Except all my formal clothing is cheap

Hand

Postby Hand » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:56 pm

I have one nice suit that I'm currently too fat for. Will need to get in shape before I need to look good somewhere.

AOT

Postby AOT » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:01 pm

Are there many formal events at law school?

Would actually be a great thing for me, I still have about 8000 cocktail dresses sitting in the attic from UG

Gray

Postby Gray » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:02 pm

alloverthat wrote: I still have about 8000 cocktail dresses sitting in the attic from UG just buying them for no reason

IsThisForReal

Postby IsThisForReal » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:17 pm

Gray wrote:
alloverthat wrote: I still have about 8000 cocktail dresses sitting in the attic from UG just buying them for no reason

I have so much Lilly that I rarely get the chance to wear. And rn only half of it fits anyway.

buckiguy_sucks

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:17 pm

Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

curlietop86

Postby curlietop86 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:44 pm

Last edited by curlietop86 on Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

kanthandleit

Postby kanthandleit » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:48 am

curlietop86 wrote:

Ugh. This whole not having a job thing is going to be really interesting for a person with a shoe problem. Shoes, why u do dis. I know that I need to be saving money, but what am I going to even wear to law school. Maybe I should start thinking about what I'm going to do work on considering I don't have a personal computer. So many problems, and I sit at work for 8 hours a day to think about these problems and write and re-write to-do lists that I then disregard because shoes.

IsThisForReal

Postby IsThisForReal » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:04 am

kanthandleit wrote:
curlietop86 wrote:

Ugh. This whole not having a job thing is going to be really interesting for a person with a shoe problem. Shoes, why u do dis. I know that I need to be saving money, but what am I going to even wear to law school. Maybe I should start thinking about what I'm going to do work on considering I don't have a personal computer. So many problems, and I sit at work for 8 hours a day to think about these problems and write and re-write to-do lists that I then disregard because shoes.

I just bought a pair of shoes 8) ...while online shopping at work

kanthandleit

Postby kanthandleit » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:14 am

IsThisForReal wrote:I just bought a pair of shoes 8) ...while online shopping at work

Rude. I can't let a stranger one-up me like that, brb.

Seriously guys, I've been drafting the same 5-minute easement for the past 4 days. Things are getting intense! Between scholarships, moving/flight/apartment/doineedanewcar research, and shoes, my days at work fly by. It doesn't help at all that I'm going to be on a tropical island in 3 days! Today I forgot my breakfast, lunch, AND gym bag at home. Worthless shell of a person.

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:16 am

kanthandleit wrote:
IsThisForReal wrote:I just bought a pair of shoes 8) ...while online shopping at work

Seriously guys, I've been drafting the same 5-minute easement for the past 4 days. Things are getting intense! Between scholarships, moving/flight/apartment/doineedanewcar research, and shoes, my days at work fly by. It doesn't help at all that I'm going to be on a tropical island in 3 days! Today I forgot my breakfast, lunch, AND gym bag at home. Worthless shell of a person.

I really like the people ITT.

IsThisForReal

Postby IsThisForReal » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:17 am

kanthandleit wrote:

Don't feel bad, that's how I've been all week. I keep thinking I'm a day ahead.

Today's Friday right? :wink:

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:20 am

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
hereisonehand wrote:I have one nice suit that I'm currently too fat for. Will need to get in shape before I need to look good somewhere.

yup

+1. It's starting to finally get warm here so I went out to go play some pick-up soccer yesterday (my exercise regimen has to be fun otherwise I will quit early). I can barely walk today. Jelly legs + the cramping in your shooting foot you get from not stretching afterward...or before...or ever...

I really like the people ITT.

Also this. +1

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”