Senioritis / Quitting-my-job-soon-iorits

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
IsThisForReal

Re: Senioritis / Quitting-my-job-soon-iorits

Postby IsThisForReal » Mon May 04, 2015 9:51 am

I nailed down a house this weekend. Makes leaving all the more real.

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Mon May 04, 2015 10:10 am

I've written four emails so far today. One of them was actually work-related. It's all down hill from here.

Gray

Postby Gray » Mon May 04, 2015 10:11 am

I did SOOOO little last week that I'm just frantically trying to catch up before anyone notices.

NotASpecialSnowflake

Postby NotASpecialSnowflake » Mon May 04, 2015 10:23 am

Gray wrote:
NotASpecialSnowflake wrote:I don't think I've ever been this lazy at work. I've gone to the bathroom four times in an hour. I would say the is rock bottom, but I still have 7 weeks left

and it's 9:45 on a Monday

The bathroom is the only place I can check my phone in peace (except on my breaks), so I just chill there. The good thing is my bosses are so distant that they aren't gonna notice.

curlietop86

Postby curlietop86 » Mon May 04, 2015 10:34 am

Last edited by curlietop86 on Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Mon May 04, 2015 10:38 am

I was so lazy/careless last week I accidentally gave someone an extra $8k. Good thing they're a decent human being and called all confused so I could fix it.

Gray

Postby Gray » Mon May 04, 2015 10:43 am

Rigo wrote:I was so lazy/careless last week I accidentally gave someone an extra $8k. Good thing they're a decent human being and called all confused so I could fix it.

Can you give me an extra 8K? I promise not to call in and make more work for you.

tortsandtiaras

Postby tortsandtiaras » Mon May 04, 2015 10:43 am

I'm joining this thread...because the -ioritis is hitting me hard right now. I still have a month and a half left, but I'm too excited to start school to care about what is going on at work, though I love my job and the work/life balance and pay is great.

On another note...No one here knows I'm leaving. How do I break it to my boss this month that I'm leaving for law school? I guess I'm too worried that I'd be letting everyone down. I had a meeting an hour and a half away from the office with my boss and during the entire car ride we talked about "life". He asked whether or not I was thinking about law school - since my major is business law - and I couldn't bring it up to say "Why yes, I have been...I'm leaving next month, sorry!"

:/

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Mon May 04, 2015 10:45 am

Gray wrote:
Rigo wrote:I was so lazy/careless last week I accidentally gave someone an extra $8k. Good thing they're a decent human being and called all confused so I could fix it.

Can you give me an extra 8K? I promise not to call in and make more work for you.

This.

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Mon May 04, 2015 10:49 am

tortsandtiaras wrote:I'm joining this thread...because the -ioritis is hitting me hard right now. I still have a month and a half left, but I'm too excited to start school to care about what is going on at work, though I love my job and the work/life balance and pay is great.

On another note...No one here knows I'm leaving. How do I break it to my boss this month that I'm leaving for law school? I guess I'm too worried that I'd be letting everyone down. I had a meeting an hour and a half away from the office with my boss and during the entire car ride we talked about "life". He asked whether or not I was thinking about law school - since my major is business law - and I couldn't bring it up to say "Why yes, I have been...I'm leaving next month, sorry!"

Seems like he expects it. I'd go ahead and try a straightforward conversation about law school and potential departure dates/how you can make the transition smoother for everyone involved.

tortsandtiaras

Postby tortsandtiaras » Mon May 04, 2015 10:51 am

OhBoyOhBortles wrote:
tortsandtiaras wrote:I'm joining this thread...because the -ioritis is hitting me hard right now. I still have a month and a half left, but I'm too excited to start school to care about what is going on at work, though I love my job and the work/life balance and pay is great.

Seems like he expects it. I'd go ahead and try a straightforward conversation about law school and potential departure dates/how you can make the transition smoother for everyone involved.

I told him yes, eventually I do want to go to law school, but that I wanted to take some time to gain some work experience. This is my first job after undergrad. Now I feel like he would think I'm a liar since I didn't mention that I was applying this year and that it was a possibility in August. I take full responsibility for that--but I just froze lol.

edit - I am for sure attending law school in August.

IsThisForReal

Postby IsThisForReal » Mon May 04, 2015 10:51 am

Yeah, you should probably tell him.

It's honestly better to let them know you have a good boss. Everyone here is super excited for me.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Mon May 04, 2015 10:51 am

Gray wrote:

$80k* adding extra zeros seems innocent (hehe) enough. We can be white collar Bonnie and Clyde.

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Mon May 04, 2015 10:55 am

tortsandtiaras wrote:
I told him yes, eventually I do want to go to law school, but that I wanted to take some time to gain some work experience. This is my first job after undergrad. Now I feel like he would think I'm a liar since I didn't mention that I was applying this year and that it was a possibility in August. I take full responsibility for that--but I just froze lol.

Well, tell him that. If you feel poorly about it, let him know. I really doubt he'll think any the less of you. He was young once and probably froze when talking to his bosses frequently. Alternatively, you could say something along the lines of "You weren't sure it was going to happen this year but you just got a great offer at X law school late last week and took the weekend to consider it."

Especially if you're close with your boss/know that the culture at work won't become oppressive in any way after you give notice...I think the sooner it is out in the open, the better off you (and they) will be.

tortsandtiaras

Postby tortsandtiaras » Mon May 04, 2015 10:59 am

OhBoyOhBortles wrote:
tortsandtiaras wrote:

Well, tell him that. If you feel poorly about it, let him know. I really doubt he'll think any the less of you. He was young once and probably froze when talking to his bosses frequently. Alternatively, you could say something along the lines of "You weren't sure it was going to happen this year but you just got a great offer at X law school late last week and took the weekend to consider it.

Especially if you're close with your boss/know that the culture at work won't become oppressive in any way after you give notice...I think the sooner it is out in the open, the better off you (and they) will be.

This is exactly what I was planning on saying - thanks for reassuring me!

My lease ends June 30th, so I was planning on making that my last day at work. A month is okay in terms of notice I hope.

NotASpecialSnowflake

Postby NotASpecialSnowflake » Mon May 04, 2015 11:02 am

A couple months ago my bank messed up and gave me $11k. I debated for a couple days, then told them. They would have found out eventually, but man I miss that $ right now.

NoBladesNoBows

Postby NoBladesNoBows » Mon May 04, 2015 11:43 am

Last edited by NoBladesNoBows on Wed May 27, 2015 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChemEng1642

Postby ChemEng1642 » Mon May 04, 2015 12:06 pm

Talked to my boss today about more work (since I have none) - he basically said "ummm idk...just lay low for now" because there's a lot of drama going on right now.

So that's good.

95 days left to go

:(

strugglebus

Postby strugglebus » Mon May 04, 2015 12:12 pm

Decided on the drive to work today that nothing is getting done. Successful so far. Except maybe I should finish my last UG paper that I put off WAY too long and is due basically as soon as I get home...

Big Red

Postby Big Red » Mon May 04, 2015 12:29 pm

ChemEng1642 wrote:Talked to my boss today about more work (since I have none) - he basically said "ummm idk...just lay low for now" because there's a lot of drama going on right now.

So that's good.

95 days left to go

Drama? What kinda drama?

ChemEng1642

Postby ChemEng1642 » Mon May 04, 2015 12:31 pm

Big Red wrote:
ChemEng1642 wrote:Talked to my boss today about more work (since I have none) - he basically said "ummm idk...just lay low for now" because there's a lot of drama going on right now.

So that's good.

95 days left to go

Drama? What kinda drama?

People trying to move me around without going through the right channels. Boss's boss found out and got pissed and now I'm supposed to stay where I am even though I have no work...

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Mon May 04, 2015 12:32 pm

Coworker made apple pie for my last day. Aww.

rion91

Postby rion91 » Mon May 04, 2015 12:33 pm

Rigo wrote:Coworker made apple pie for my last day. Aww.

last day already wow

buckiguy_sucks

Post removed.

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Mon May 04, 2015 12:36 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chris Manifesto

Postby Chris Manifesto » Mon May 04, 2015 12:39 pm

Got moved to a different department (aka. demoted) since i'm leaving soon. Oddly enough, I'm largely insulted even though my pay rate didn't change. I think the insult is just my subconscious trying to justify my newfound M.O of slacking rather than a result of my own decision to attend law school.

IT's YOUR FAULT I'M SLACKING BECAUSE YOU DEMOTED ME BECAUSE I'M LEAVING!

Sounds like reasonable argument lol.

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”