. Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:19 pm

Gold

[s][/s]

Post by 03282016 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:22 pm

Last edited by 03282016 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

hillz

Silver

Re: Senioritis / Quitting-my-job-soon-iorits

Post by hillz » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:29 pm

Dipper wrote:Put in my notice and out of here at the end of March. Job is both monotonous and stressful (because of the volume of work), and I now have this weird love-turned-to-scorn relationship with a coworker.

ETA: Our office has less than 15 people.
Storytime!

Dipper

Bronze

Post by Dipper » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:41 pm

It's my own damn fault. New, attractive, charismatic coworker who had a long distance thing going, but was all up on this in an overly flirty-friendly way. We started hanging out a lot, had great chemistry, one thing led to another... We never actually did the deed, but were sleeping over every night of the week for a solid month, dropped some L-bombs, etc etc. Then his lady comes back to town, didn't want to open the relationship (hardly blame her), and despite all the protestations that "we'll still be friends," homeboy has spoken to me in bare monosyllables for the last six months.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:43 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

arose928

Bronze

Post by arose928 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:00 pm

Oh man so glad I found this thread, this is my life now. Once I got into law school I basically lost all interest in everything else - my job and other commitments outside of work. Typically I enjoy them all but knowing that in a few months I'm going to leave them all behind is a weird headspace to be in. I'm glad I have ample time to gear up and get ready for school but also kinda anxious to start the next chapter already.

So that, combined with the fact that my boss has basically been out (on vacation, at conferences) since I got admitted, means I'm rolling in 30-60 mins late, on the interwebs for a couple hours, then maybe answering a few emails before calling it a day. Wouldn't be so bad except its an hour-long commute, a long way to travel just to dick around :P

I technically gave notice since my boss wrote a LOR, she knows I'm going and all that. Planning on working until the end of June and then traveling in July and chilling out in August. Haven't set a final date yet so maybe I'll end up working some into July since I don't know if I really need that much time off. But I figure, in the face of the giant mountain of debt I'm about to take on, the few extra skrilla I'd earn working another month isn't worth the last opportunity for years to go do something interesting.

hillz

Silver

Post by hillz » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:08 pm

Gray wrote: jesus that's rough. Yay for GTFO-o'clock.

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:13 pm

Gray wrote:To what extent have you mentally checked out of your current situation? Regale TLS with stories of your shameful laziness ITT.
I think I'm close to my limit of missed classes this early in the semester. Pretty sure I'm over in one class.
Last edited by RCSOB657 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dipper

Bronze

Post by Dipper » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:14 pm

hillz wrote:
Gray wrote: jesus that's rough. Yay for GTFO-o'clock.
Counting the days. Working at a restaurant and tutoring for a few months (/studying for the June LSAT?), then hopefully traveling in July.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Tr3

Silver

Post by Tr3 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:19 pm

And now add ASWs... luckily my office supports me, but I'm working 2-3 days a week for the next month. I'm kind of upset because I'm using my vacation time. I'd rather use sick time since when I quit I would get paid out for vacay hours, but not sick time. Anyone know of a sickness I can 'have' for the next month that would require me to miss so many days?

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:27 pm

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:27 pm

Tr3 wrote:And now add ASWs... luckily my office supports me, but I'm working 2-3 days a week for the next month. I'm kind of upset because I'm using my vacation time. I'd rather use sick time since when I quit I would get paid out for vacay hours, but not sick time. Anyone know of a sickness I can 'have' for the next month that would require me to miss so many days?
Maybe go for some sort of mental issue. Anxiety/stress from all the pressure to choose.

WhiskeyAndCupcakes

Silver

Post by WhiskeyAndCupcakes » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:34 pm

Last edited by WhiskeyAndCupcakes on Fri May 29, 2015 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Dipper

Bronze

Post by Dipper » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:38 pm

Auxilio wrote:
Tr3 wrote:And now add ASWs... luckily my office supports me, but I'm working 2-3 days a week for the next month. I'm kind of upset because I'm using my vacation time. I'd rather use sick time since when I quit I would get paid out for vacay hours, but not sick time. Anyone know of a sickness I can 'have' for the next month that would require me to miss so many days?
Maybe go for some sort of mental issue. Anxiety/stress from all the pressure to choose.
Or try doctor's appointments/procedures -- in my office those count towards sick time.

WhiskeyAndCupcakes

Silver

Post by WhiskeyAndCupcakes » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:41 pm

Last edited by WhiskeyAndCupcakes on Fri May 29, 2015 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tr3

Silver

Post by Tr3 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:53 pm

Thanks for all of the suggestions, way to look out for a fellow TLSer.

Now I feel a migraine coming on...

=P

hillz

Silver

Post by hillz » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:59 pm

"Yes, I'm sick...

of work."

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:05 pm

WhiskeyAndCupcakes

Silver

Post by WhiskeyAndCupcakes » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:10 pm

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:13 pm

WhiskeyAndCupcakes wrote:
RCSOB657 wrote:
Gray wrote:To what extent have you mentally checked out of your current situation? Regale TLS with stories of your shameful laziness ITT.
I think I'm close to my limit of missed classes this early in the semester. Pretty sure I'm over in one class.
They limit those at your school?!? My UG definitely did not.
Well one can miss as much as they want, just have to deal with the consequences. Institutional policy is If miss more than 10% of classes, prof can WF you. Left to their discretion mostly.

ILoveYou

Silver

Post by ILoveYou » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:14 pm

Last week I decided not to go because it was raining and I didn't want to find my umbrella. The week before that, road work was blocking one of the three ways I could have gotten to class, so I just didn't go.
:lol: the memories this brings back.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

iguazu

Bronze

Post by iguazu » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:15 pm

suppy183 wrote:Checking in.
WhiskeyAndCupcakes wrote:The struggle gets more real every week.

Especially when we are talking about projects that are more than 4 months out. And I'm like, "not there, don't care."

(Boss doesn't know, so I look very interested).
Same exact situation. How much notice are people giving? On the one hand, my company takes forever to hire anybody, and I'd like to give my boss more time to find a replacement. On the other, I'm afraid that it will be harder hide the fact that IDGAF once everyone knows that I'll be leaving, which would guilt me into being more productive.
I gave an obscene amount of notice, but I think something like 4 weeks would be fair

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:27 pm

Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:30 pm

Gray wrote:What's your typical "Boss enters office/comes to your desk" move?

Mine is opening a client's website and our last meeting's notes and just sort of highlighting sentences as if I'm reading key points
lol

Alt+tab to a word doc I keep handy that looks like I'm doing serious work.

I've been checked out for awhile. It's hard to commit to work when you're mentally ready for the next step in your life -- a very large step, at that. And the mental commitment I speak about is sometimes necessary to do the nitty-gritty stuff that all jobs require. So work at this point is a bitch, no doubt. But luckily I have an open dialogue w/ my employer about finding my replacement, so no stress there. I just feel like Godot, waiting. Kierkegaard did say, after all, that boredom is the root of all evil.

I remember gearing up for law school 3 years ago (ended up entering workforce) and it was the same feeling. I wrote my senior thesis in the 48 hours before it was due, no joke.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:33 pm

OhBoyOhBortles wrote:My job is actually perfect for being mentally checked out 90% of the time. I wait for other people to do their job and then have to very quickly make sure that their writing was punctuated properly and all words spelled correctly. So, I sit in front of a computer all day and maybe work for 30-45 min total. All day. I openly TLS, youtube, and whatever bc it doesn't matter. I also do a lot of reading at my desk. Right now I'm reading the biography of Red Cloud.

I already gave notice and am planning on leaving in August.
journalism?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”