Yale Law School Class of 2018 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Where are you going to live?

Chapel West
18%
East Rock
24%
Ninth Square
No votes
Wooster Square
6%
The Towers
29%
Undecided
24%

Total votes: 17

Voyager15

New

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2018

Post by Voyager15 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:01 pm

sneakyleo wrote:ASP schedule is up!! Is everyone else as excited as I am?
Is it somewhere on the website or did they email it out? And yes, super excited! :D

kraith

New

Post by kraith » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:15 pm

Voyager15 wrote:
sneakyleo wrote:ASP schedule is up!! Is everyone else as excited as I am?
Is it somewhere on the website or did they email it out? And yes, super excited! :D
It is on the FB group

lashley

New

Post by lashley » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:58 pm

Checking in! So excited to meet you all next week!

psychmusic

Bronze

Post by psychmusic » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:01 am

Last edited by psychmusic on Fri May 01, 2015 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

kulizy1

New

Post by kulizy1 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:06 am

Hello everyone!

How long did it take to get the emails for financial aid information and for accessing the facebook group?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sneakyleo

Bronze

Post by sneakyleo » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:55 pm

---
Last edited by sneakyleo on Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sneakyleo

Bronze

Post by sneakyleo » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:57 pm

---
Last edited by sneakyleo on Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

liawy

New

Post by liawy » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:39 am

psychmusic wrote:I'm probably going to be driving in for at least Thursday, when is everyone planning on getting there (or what is the first event you'll be going to)? I'm not sure if it's worth leaving so early to get to breakfast
I'm coming up from new york so I'll probably get on an early train and get there in time for the tail end of breakfast.

flomotion

New

Post by flomotion » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:58 am

Hey! Excited to meet all of you next weekend.

For those of you who answered they were considering the Ruby in the poll... The Ruby deadline is coming up this Wednesday. Which way are you leaning (especially after the UChi ASW)?

This is really neck-to-neck with YLS for me right now.

Thoughts, anyone? (Feel free to PM as well)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LoganCouture

Gold

Post by LoganCouture » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:07 pm

flomotion wrote:Hey! Excited to meet all of you next weekend.

For those of you who answered they were considering the Ruby in the poll... The Ruby deadline is coming up this Wednesday. Which way are you leaning (especially after the UChi ASW)?

Still leaning SLS. Barring a miracle at YLS ASW, I will probably send my deposit in shortly.

Loved Chicago as a city (particularly since the weather was so beautiful today) and very honored by the Ruby offer but for personal fit reasons (which are all over TLS but I can PM with specifics) I feel that I'd be happier at S.

everything_bagel

Bronze

Post by everything_bagel » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:02 pm

flomotion wrote:Hey! Excited to meet all of you next weekend.

I change my mind every day. I think the process has really opened my eyes to the ways Yale isn't perfect--but at the end of the day there are some really amazing communities and opportunities there. Meanwhile I've learned about all the things that make Chicago awesome other than its being free--really tightly knit community, pride in excellent teaching, an amazing location, and so forth. But weighing these is the tricky part...
Last edited by everything_bagel on Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Voyager15

New

Post by Voyager15 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:47 pm

Is anyone planning on attending both Yale's diversity brunch and Harvard's ASW on the 18th? If so, how are you planning to get to Cambridge leaving New Haven around noon or 12:30 after the brunch? Buses take ~5 hours and the Amtrak/Acela is $120 and gets there at 3:45, which is a bit late. Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated!

lefthandofdarkness

New

Post by lefthandofdarkness » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:16 pm

If you go to the brunch, your options are pretty limited, unless someone is driving and has room in his/her car. Amtrak is expensive if you're not getting reimbursed, and the PP buses are not at convenient times. There's an 11:30 that should get you into South Station at about 3:30, and then you could make it to HLS by 4 (definitely for the start of the welcome, but you'd miss the organized tours). After that, ich. The buses only cost $20-$30. Personally I'm going to skip the brunch and take the 10:00.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

foamborn

Bronze

Post by foamborn » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:19 pm

lc39 wrote:
Still leaning SLS. Barring a miracle at YLS ASW, I will probably send my deposit in shortly.

Loved Chicago as a city (particularly since the weather was so beautiful today) and very honored by the Ruby offer but for personal fit reasons (which are all over TLS but I can PM with specifics) I feel that I'd be happier at S.
awesome!

and congrats everyone else, welcome new admits!
won't be at asp but hope to see u in the fall.

everything_bagel

Bronze

Post by everything_bagel » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:18 pm

95% sure I'm gonna take the money and run. PM me if you need a pep talk! YLS is awesome and I wish you all the best, but it isn't for everyone ;)

omegaweapon

Bronze

Post by omegaweapon » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:55 pm

everything_bagel wrote:95% sure I'm gonna take the money and run. PM me if you need a pep talk! YLS is awesome and I wish you all the best, but it isn't for everyone ;)
Congrats on the ruby. Particularly since your SO is there, that seems like a really great option.

everything_bagel

Bronze

Post by everything_bagel » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:49 pm

omegaweapon wrote:
everything_bagel wrote:95% sure I'm gonna take the money and run. PM me if you need a pep talk! YLS is awesome and I wish you all the best, but it isn't for everyone ;)
Congrats on the ruby. Particularly since your SO is there, that seems like a really great option.
Thanks man! Doesn't have much to do with my SO, who may not be able to get a job in Chicago anyway, but I think Chicago has a really awesome program and one that holds a strong candle to Yale if you're prepared to work hard and to keep things in perspective. Depends a lot on where you want your focus in LS to be, I think--Yale gives you a lot more freedom not to sweat the things you don't want to. I've thought about it a lot and, for me, that's not a real freedom--I'm going to work really hard anywhere I end up. Might sound crazy, but I don't think I'd be as happy if opportunities just fell into my lap.

Anyway, this is a Yale thread and I don't want to dig on it--I'm sure everyone who matriculates will be really happy there (or if you're not, what's wrong with you?!). But I've talked to a ton of people about the choice and am happy to share thoughts with anyone harboring doubts.
Last edited by everything_bagel on Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cc78

Silver

Post by cc78 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:43 pm

everything_bagel wrote:
omegaweapon wrote:
Thanks man! Doesn't have much to do with my SO, who may not be able to get a job in Chicago anyway, but I think Chicago has a really awesome program and one that holds a strong candle to Yale if you're prepared to work hard and to keep things in perspective. Depends a lot on where you want your focus in LS to be, I think--Yale gives you a lot more freedom not to sweat the things you don't want to. I've thought about it a lot and, for me, that's not a real freedom--I'm going to work really hard anywhere I end up. Might sound crazy, but I don't think I'd be as happy if opportunities just fell into my lap.

Anyway, this is a Yale thread and I don't want to dig on it--I'm sure everyone who matriculates will be really happy there (or if you're not, what's wrong with you?!). It's also a lot easier for me because I already have some connections in the field I'd like to go into. But I've talked to a ton of people about the choice and am happy to share thoughts with anyone harboring doubts.
Congrats on making your choice bagel. You've clearly thought this through and have made a great decision for yourself. I did want to emphasize what you've said about freedom. That's a huge thread at YLS--you literally don't "have" to do anything other than pass your first term classes (pass, not necessarily attend), your SAW and your substantial paper. That's it. That could either really work for you (I love it!) or it's a sure route to freaking out...some folks like more structure.

lashley

New

Post by lashley » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:51 pm

Anyone else thinking about living at the Towers? I might go check it out this weekend

Philafaler

New

Post by Philafaler » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:57 pm

lashley wrote:Anyone else thinking about living at the Towers? I might go check it out this weekend
I am. Seems close, convenient, good landlord, with a lot of other students. And I wouldn't be able to get out to New Haven to really look for some hidden gem until midsummer, so I might go with the Towers. Let me know what you think.

wildcat2014

New

Post by wildcat2014 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:42 pm

I just want to say that I enjoyed meeting all of you who came to ASW!

And for those you who couldn't make it, I look forward to meeting you in the fall!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sneakyleo

Bronze

Post by sneakyleo » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:23 pm

---
Last edited by sneakyleo on Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sneakyleo

Bronze

Post by sneakyleo » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:55 pm

---
Last edited by sneakyleo on Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sneakyleo

Bronze

Post by sneakyleo » Mon May 04, 2015 8:01 pm

---
Last edited by sneakyleo on Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

superpatton

New

Post by superpatton » Wed May 06, 2015 10:44 pm

I wasn't able to make it to the admitted student days. Did anyone have a chance to check out the towers? If you did, what was your impression?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”