Yale Law School Class of 2018 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Where are you going to live?

Chapel West
18%
East Rock
24%
Ninth Square
No votes
Wooster Square
6%
The Towers
29%
Undecided
24%

Total votes: 17

kraith

New

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2018

Post by kraith » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:26 pm

abitaman6363 wrote:Often easier to fly into NYC and train it up to New Haven (super easy) or fly into Hartford and rent a car.
Thanks for the advice. As a west coast person that has barely been to NYC & hasn't taken trains before, what NYC airport is the correct one to use? I assume the airport and plane to train transfer is at the same place?

abitaman6363

Bronze

Post by abitaman6363 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:51 pm

kraith wrote:
abitaman6363 wrote:Often easier to fly into NYC and train it up to New Haven (super easy) or fly into Hartford and rent a car.
Thanks for the advice. As a west coast person that has barely been to NYC & hasn't taken trains before, what NYC airport is the correct one to use? I assume the airport and plane to train transfer is at the same place?
JFK/LGA are both about the same. You can either take a taxi from each (~$50) to Grand Central or a shuttle that goes to Grand Central (~$12).

If you fly into Newark you can get the train in the airport and go straight into NYC; however, this option puts you in Penn Station and you'd want to make your way to Grand Central to catch the train to New Haven.

For those of you who haven't been to Grand Central, you can got to the station and buy your train ticket there from the ticket window or from the electronic kiosks. The schedules for the trains are here:

http://as0.mta.info/mnr/schedules/sched_form.cfm

Of course, simply choose "Grand Central" and "New Haven." There is a small price difference between "Peak" and "Off Peak" but only a few dollars.

foamborn

Bronze

Post by foamborn » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:36 pm

lc39 wrote:Any thoughts from those attending the Monday program today?
very pleased. my initial thoughts were, yale is beautiful but feels intimidating. but then i met up with fellow admitted students and really like them/thought they were very cool people. the prof i had dinner with was surprisingly cool as well. very down to earth.

sneakyleo

Bronze

Post by sneakyleo » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:21 pm

---
Last edited by sneakyleo on Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LoganCouture

Gold

Post by LoganCouture » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:17 pm

So this is about the pettiest question ever but...are snuggies still going out?? And if so, has anyone who was admitted recently received one?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sneakyleo

Bronze

Post by sneakyleo » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:47 pm

---
Last edited by sneakyleo on Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sneakyleo

Bronze

Post by sneakyleo » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:49 pm

---
Last edited by sneakyleo on Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LoganCouture

Gold

Post by LoganCouture » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:55 pm

sneakyleo wrote:
lc39 wrote:So this is about the pettiest question ever but...are snuggies still going out?? And if so, has anyone who was admitted recently received one?
Definitely not petty. Snuggies are extremely important. I'm not being sarcastic, I legitimately was concerned about whether or not they were going to do them this year :lol:

I've got to assume that they send them to all admits, so they must do them in batches. I think there was a batch in early April last year.
I'm super stoked. I have a Stanford snuggie already (courtesy of my mom) so this would be a great asset to my collection of wearable blankets.

Also, love the poll!

LoganCouture

Gold

Post by LoganCouture » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:27 pm

Got the financial aid award. More confused about my decision than ever tbh.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cc78

Silver

Post by cc78 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:51 pm

^^LC, come to Yale. That is all.

Anyway, I'm deposited, signed, sealed and delivered. YLS here I come!

zlrup

New

Post by zlrup » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:55 pm

lc39 wrote:Got the financial aid award. More confused about my decision than ever tbh.
Try to negotiate.

kraith

New

Post by kraith » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:06 pm

zlrup wrote:
lc39 wrote:Got the financial aid award. More confused about my decision than ever tbh.
Try to negotiate.
I'm still waiting on my award, but if I need to do the same, are there any popular resources for negotiating need-only awards? Especially at a school like Yale?

LoganCouture

Gold

Post by LoganCouture » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:08 pm

zlrup wrote:
Try to negotiate.
I got the max aid, but thank you. I meant that it is confusing in a good way because I had mostly been leaning "not Yale" before this came out.
kraith wrote:I'm still waiting on my award, but if I need to do the same, are there any popular resources for negotiating need-only awards? Especially at a school like Yale?
I assume that if either H/S finds your need significantly greater, that might be leverage to negotiate with Yale.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

foamborn

Bronze

Post by foamborn » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:47 pm

cc78 wrote:^^LC, come to Yale. That is all.

Anyway, I'm deposited, signed, sealed and delivered. YLS here I come!
congrats!
lc39 wrote:
zlrup wrote:
Try to negotiate.
I got the max aid, but thank you. I meant that it is confusing in a good way because I had mostly been leaning "not Yale" before this came out.
the reasons u gave for opting stanford sounded pretty good to me. i suppose it depends somewhat on ur goals and the kind of income/lrap u can expect post-grad, but unless the aid packages are enormously different i wouldn't think better aid should necessarily shift the decision. not to deter u, of course; we all want u to come to yale.

zlrup

New

Post by zlrup » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:56 pm

lc39 wrote:
zlrup wrote:
Try to negotiate.
I got the max aid, but thank you. I meant that it is confusing in a good way because I had mostly been leaning "not Yale" before this came out.[/quote][/quote]

You can negotiate with Stanford then
Last edited by zlrup on Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cc78

Silver

Post by cc78 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:14 pm

We always have to remember that YLS' COAP is unique and amazing. It's effectively a back end scholarship that's there for you even after you've long left the school.

kraith

New

Post by kraith » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:16 pm

zlrup wrote:
kraith wrote:I'm still waiting on my award, but if I need to do the same, are there any popular resources for negotiating need-only awards? Especially at a school like Yale?
I assume that if either H/S finds your need significantly greater, that might be leverage to negotiate with Yale.
I'm in a bit of an odd situation because I'm only accepted to Yale and not Harvard or Stanford...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:38 am

kraith wrote:
zlrup wrote:
I'm in a bit of an odd situation because I'm only accepted to Yale and not Harvard or Stanford...
Then you're pretty much out of luck. They only reconsider their aid package if you have received a substantially higher aid package from either Stanford or Harvard.

everything_bagel

Bronze

Post by everything_bagel » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:07 am

Financial aid turnaround was crazy fast. I got something...but not enough to make $$$ elsewhere look any less sweet.
cc78 wrote:We always have to remember that YLS' COAP is unique and amazing. It's effectively a back end scholarship that's there for you even after you've long left the school.
I should probably know the answer to this, but what's so sweet about COAP? It doesn't seem that different from other LRAPs except for you don't have to be in law-related employment (and then, there's some kind of ominous language in their materials about benefits for folks who don't work at 501(c)'s maaaybe being taxable). If anyone has done more research into this and wants to share I would be very appreciative.

wildcat2014

New

Post by wildcat2014 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:40 am

Since there looks to be at least half a dozen people in this thread who are considering scholarships at CCN, I was wondering if any of you were strongly leaning in one direction and would be willing to share your reasoning. I am completely torn at this point and really don't know how I am going to make a decision by the Ruby deadline (April 14th). Feel free to PM.

Also, since I haven't said this already, you all seem awesome and I hope I get to know you next year!

cc78

Silver

Post by cc78 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:39 am

everything_bagel wrote:Financial aid turnaround was crazy fast. I got something...but not enough to make $$$ elsewhere look any less sweet.
cc78 wrote:We always have to remember that YLS' COAP is unique and amazing. It's effectively a back end scholarship that's there for you even after you've long left the school.
I should probably know the answer to this, but what's so sweet about COAP? It doesn't seem that different from other LRAPs except for you don't have to be in law-related employment (and then, there's some kind of ominous language in their materials about benefits for folks who don't work at 501(c)'s maaaybe being taxable). If anyone has done more research into this and wants to share I would be very appreciative.
Did you tune in to YLS' webinar about COAP? They explain this better than I ever could, but these factors seemed relevant to me:

YLS' contribution curve is much smoother and remains higher into the upper incomes than HLS' or SLS'. Basically at those schools, if you make more than $80k, you're out. At YLS you're still getting help into the low six-figures of salary (assuming you grow into that salary level over a couple of years).

I have to push back a little on you about the 501c3 employment thing--one of the greatest risks of going to law school is that you may hate being a lawyer. For an old fart like me, there's less of a risk because I know exactly what I'm going to be doing, but if you're young this is wonderful insurance. Let's say you decide you want to write for Saturday Night Live and have to accept a few years of very low-paid menial work as a page before you get a real shot. If you go to HLS/SLS, you're not going anywhere because you'd be stuck with the choice between servicing your student loans and having shelter. At YLS, it's New York here you come! I am no tax expert, but I think any additional tax burden would not be so burdensome as to control your decision making. Freedom and flexibility are important in life.

You may not have this, or at least I hope you don't, but you can include $30,000 of undergraduate debt in COAP...wha?

I realize that I am a total shill for Yale and that you have a Ruby in your lap, which, depending on what you want to do, sounds like the best scholarship imaginable. But, I do feel that objectively, YLS beats its peers in terms of LRAP/COAP.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

liawy

New

Post by liawy » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:27 pm

wildcat2014 wrote:Since there looks to be at least half a dozen people in this thread who are considering scholarships at CCN, I was wondering if any of you were strongly leaning in one direction and would be willing to share your reasoning. I am completely torn at this point and really don't know how I am going to make a decision by the Ruby deadline (April 14th). Feel free to PM.

Also, since I haven't said this already, you all seem awesome and I hope I get to know you next year!
Pm'd with details.

Philafaler

New

Post by Philafaler » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:21 pm

everything_bagel wrote:Financial aid turnaround was crazy fast. I got something...but not enough to make $$$ elsewhere look any less sweet.
I think the biggest difference is the amortization schedules they use. For the first 5 years of the program, they use a 15 year amortization schedule to calculate your benefits. After five years, they use a 5 year schedule. This means higher payments to you in the second five years as your income (presumably) increases.

lefthandofdarkness

New

Post by lefthandofdarkness » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:35 pm

cc78 wrote:
macha wrote:I have a quite interesting compilation of perspectives from current Yale students whom I contacted. If anyone is interested in the reading material, free feel to PM me. Warning: it will be long.
I highly recommend it. Very helpful to read things about YLS that say something other than it's the best place on planet Earth--the perspectives were honest detailed, and balanced.
Checking in! Could someone who has this please PM it to me? I'd really appreciate it.

Voyager15

New

Post by Voyager15 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:29 am

Checking in!! Very excited to meet some of you in April :D

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”