Duke Law c/o 2018

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
Vermonster
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:51 pm

Re: Duke Law c/o 2018

Postby Vermonster » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:58 pm

fra wrote:Just got an email denying my scholarship appeal.


same :( idk why it took them so long to do so. looks like Duke is officially not happening now.

JFO1833
Posts: 261
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:06 pm

Re: Duke Law c/o 2018

Postby JFO1833 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:13 pm

Is there any way to tell if scholarship offers are based on need, merit or need + merit?

User avatar
Brady199
Posts: 214
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:27 am

Re: Duke Law c/o 2018

Postby Brady199 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:39 am

JFO1833 wrote:Is there any way to tell if scholarship offers are based on need, merit or need + merit?


Need + Merit eh. That's how it is all over the $$$ application form.

User avatar
DetroitRed
Posts: 230
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:40 am

Re: Duke Law c/o 2018

Postby DetroitRed » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:12 am

Checking in!

User avatar
leslieknope
Posts: 1092
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:53 pm

Re: Duke Law c/o 2018

Postby leslieknope » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:37 pm

Negotiated a ~50k bump! My new scholarship came via mail with no email and nothing showing up in Mailings, so heads up if you're waiting on an appeal.

User avatar
andthenIwaslike
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:39 am

Re: Duke Law c/o 2018

Postby andthenIwaslike » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:38 pm

leslieknope wrote:Negotiated a ~50k bump! My new scholarship came via mail with no email and nothing showing up in Mailings, so heads up if you're waiting on an appeal.


Congrats! When did you first initiate negotiations? Just trying to get a sense of how long I could be waiting.

User avatar
leslieknope
Posts: 1092
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:53 pm

Re: Duke Law c/o 2018

Postby leslieknope » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:41 pm

andthenIwaslike wrote:
leslieknope wrote:Negotiated a ~50k bump! My new scholarship came via mail with no email and nothing showing up in Mailings, so heads up if you're waiting on an appeal.


Congrats! When did you first initiate negotiations? Just trying to get a sense of how long I could be waiting.


Around the first or second week of March. My decision was dated April 2nd, though, I just wasn't home to see it until today.

User avatar
betty_bojangles
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:50 pm

Re: Duke Law c/o 2018

Postby betty_bojangles » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:28 pm

Has everyone gotten their scholarship appeal response in the regular mail?

rbwlaw
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:57 pm

Re: Duke Law c/o 2018

Postby rbwlaw » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:26 pm

betty_bojangles wrote:Has everyone gotten their scholarship appeal response in the regular mail?


Curious about this as well. Have an upcoming deadline at another school on 4/15. Sent in request for reconsideration about 10-12 days ago. Informed Duke of upcoming deadline and they informed me that reconsideration response was "mailed" last Friday. When initial scholarship offer was made by Duke it was "sent" on a Friday but wasn't postmarked until the following Monday and didn't arrive until Thursday. No Duke letter today so time frame is getting tight.

Anyone get denial of reconsideration by email or are all scholarship communications solely by snail mail?

Anyone have luck getting Duke to inform of offer by phone or try this? Want to know Duke decision before having to decide on offer with 4/15 deadline.

Thanks

slurpy
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:23 pm

Re: Duke Law c/o 2018

Postby slurpy » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:51 pm

My reconsideration request denial came via email.

User avatar
boomlawyered
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:18 pm

Re: Duke Law c/o 2018

Postby boomlawyered » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:17 pm

Also received a denial via email. I'm sure if you called and informed them of your April 15th deadline, they would either a) tell you over the phone or b) scan it to you.

legallybrunette93
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:50 pm

Re: Duke Law c/o 2018

Postby legallybrunette93 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:10 pm

What's the consensus on how feasible it is to not have a car in Durham? Is relying solely on uber/lyft and zipcar doable?

Gkmc
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:39 pm

Re: Duke Law c/o 2018

Postby Gkmc » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:29 pm

legallybrunette93 wrote:What's the consensus on how feasible it is to not have a car in Durham? Is relying solely on uber/lyft and zipcar doable?


I asked several students this question when I visited - they all said a car is virtually required and parking sucks.

User avatar
Serett
Posts: 8762
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: Duke Law c/o 2018

Postby Serett » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:54 pm

Gkmc wrote:
legallybrunette93 wrote:What's the consensus on how feasible it is to not have a car in Durham? Is relying solely on uber/lyft and zipcar doable?


I asked several students this question when I visited - they all said a car is virtually required and parking sucks.


I do know some people without cars, but you absolutely need to be within walking/biking distance of the law school if you're going to do it, and your recreation options will obviously be more limited to the direct area in which you're living (in other words, you won't often be heading to Raleigh/Chapel Hill, or Southpoint and the theater, etc.). Regarding parking, see this.

secadc11
Posts: 601
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:13 pm

Re: Duke Law c/o 2018

Postby secadc11 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:13 pm

Anyone negotiated lately?

What's the turnaround time been like?

User avatar
NoLieAbility
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:43 pm

Re: Duke Law c/o 2018

Postby NoLieAbility » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:25 pm

Got my Duke e-mail account today.

If I didn't know what a nerd I was before, my current excitement level should clue me in.

User avatar
sneezus
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:13 pm

Re: Duke Law c/o 2018

Postby sneezus » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:36 pm

secadc11 wrote:Anyone negotiated lately?

What's the turnaround time been like?


attempted a few days ago, haven't heard back. showed them a Michigan offer.

User avatar
Serett
Posts: 8762
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: Duke Law c/o 2018

Postby Serett » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:45 pm

NoLieAbility wrote:Got my Duke e-mail account today.

If I didn't know what a nerd I was before, my current excitement level should clue me in.


Having taken a couple years off between undergrad and law school, I had used that account to sign up for Amazon Prime Student within an hour of getting it.

User avatar
NutellaDipity
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:07 pm

Re: Duke Law c/o 2018

Postby NutellaDipity » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:05 pm

Serett wrote:
NoLieAbility wrote:Got my Duke e-mail account today.

If I didn't know what a nerd I was before, my current excitement level should clue me in.


Having taken a couple years off between undergrad and law school, I had used that account to sign up for Amazon Prime Student within an hour of getting it.


classy

User avatar
Serett
Posts: 8762
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: Duke Law c/o 2018

Postby Serett » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:35 pm

NutellaDipity wrote:
Serett wrote:
NoLieAbility wrote:Got my Duke e-mail account today.

If I didn't know what a nerd I was before, my current excitement level should clue me in.


Having taken a couple years off between undergrad and law school, I had used that account to sign up for Amazon Prime Student within an hour of getting it.


classy


Since I did actually go to Duke and am a student, I'm not sure what would be classy or not classy about the nerdy zeal with which I jumped back into Amazon Prime once legitimately eligible again :P

User avatar
Brady199
Posts: 214
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:27 am

Re: Duke Law c/o 2018

Postby Brady199 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:11 pm

NoLieAbility wrote:Got my Duke e-mail account today.

If I didn't know what a nerd I was before, my current excitement level should clue me in.



Welcome to the club :D

Peck.173
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:59 am

Re: Duke Law c/o 2018

Postby Peck.173 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:38 pm

Welp. I just asked if it was possible to send in a deposit after the 24th via email (I'm waiting on another school). Does anyone think there's a chance they give me an extension? I asked for an extra week

ithrowds
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:19 pm

Re: Duke Law c/o 2018

Postby ithrowds » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:41 am

Does anyone know what Duke's stance on double depositing is?

User avatar
idissent
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:29 am

Re: Duke Law c/o 2018

Postby idissent » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:38 am

ithrowds wrote:Does anyone know what Duke's stance on double depositing is?

Not favorable

Duke wrote: Please note that the submission of your tuition deposit indicates that you intend to enroll at Duke Law School. If you submit your tuition deposit to Duke, you must withdraw from all other law schools to which you have been admitted.

User avatar
Bird Lawyer
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:09 pm

Re: Duke Law c/o 2018

Postby Bird Lawyer » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:51 am

ithrowds wrote:Does anyone know what Duke's stance on double depositing is?


Call them and ask to make sure. Sometimes they just put that language in to scare people.




Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest