UCLA Class of 2018 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
hpocket

New

Re: UCLA Class of 2018

Post by hpocket » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:50 pm

AmicusInimici wrote:
I'm going to stick with the university apartments my first year if I get offered a studio I think. If not, I'll look for one on my own.
Cool, cool. It's tempting to go with university apartments, since I'm moving from out of state and that might just be easier, but I still think I'll stick to my plan.

Any other out-of-staters? :mrgreen:

bisa

New

Post by bisa » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:01 pm

I already deposited and submitted the SIR/SLR (and am set on attending), but I'm still waiting for a travel reimbursement from UCI (whose SIR deadline is this Thursday). If I held my place there to wait for the reimbursement (they're really slow and I really do want my money back since my airfare was quite expensive), would that jeopardize my spot at UCLA?

Or should I just email UCI "No thank you, but don't forget to send me my check!"

bisa

New

Post by bisa » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:09 pm

I'm also interested in finding housing off-campus. At ASD, students said most 1Ls live in Weyburn. The convenience is nice, but I think there are nicer places (even in the Westwood area) that are cheaper.

ub3r

Bronze

Post by ub3r » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:17 am

Off campus apartment for me.

UCLA apartments looked more expensive, and honestly I don't feel like living with law students for whatever reason. I'd like to be with someone who doesn't deal with all the same crap I'm dealing with every day, since I think commiseration already comes easily enough in law school. I'd like to have a roommate that I can talk to and get a break from law studies, you know?

hpocket

New

Post by hpocket » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:43 am

ub3r wrote:Off campus apartment for me.

UCLA apartments looked more expensive, and honestly I don't feel like living with law students for whatever reason. I'd like to be with someone who doesn't deal with all the same crap I'm dealing with every day, since I think commiseration already comes easily enough in law school. I'd like to have a roommate that I can talk to and get a break from law studies, you know?

I agree this is a healthy approach. :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AmicusInimici

New

Post by AmicusInimici » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:33 pm

Ya there are a lot of apartments really near to campus, so I'm sure you guys will be able to find something easily enough.

I'm leaving my job at the end of June and hopefully will move into Westwood in early August. Starting to get really excited about heading back to UCLA (went there as an undergrad).

minion2018

New

Post by minion2018 » Sat May 02, 2015 11:16 pm

You can live in Weyburn and have a grad student roommate that isn't a law student, just throwing that out there. I was going to move off first year but it's just too much of a hassle shopping from Indiana since I'm quitting my job and driving out right before orientation.

If anyone has any suggestions about stops I should make between South Bend, Indiana and UCLA while driving through the northern part of the country, I welcome them!

spencercross

Bronze

Post by spencercross » Thu May 14, 2015 6:53 pm

From today's LA Times: "No UC tuition hikes for Californians as Brown offers more funds"

Anyone have any insight into whether this applies to graduate school tuition as well? They seem to only be discussing undergrad, but seems like it should apply to all branches of UC schools doesn't it? I dearly hope so as I just ran the numbers through my spreadsheet and even with a 5% hike in year three it would still save me ~$15k.

ETA: Further clarification from Pres. Napolitano's letter, "The Professional Degree Supplemental Tuition (PDST) approach adopted by the Regents in November would remain in effect, except that PDST for the University's four law schools would remain at 2014-15 levels through 2018-19." Great news.

Iwanttolawschool

Bronze

Post by Iwanttolawschool » Thu May 14, 2015 10:03 pm

Did you read it?

" And graduate students from California and elsewhere in some professional programs such as medicine and business administration will see increases that vary by campuses and discipline."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

spencercross

Bronze

Post by spencercross » Thu May 14, 2015 10:16 pm

Iwanttolawschool wrote:Did you read it?

" And graduate students from California and elsewhere in some professional programs such as medicine and business administration will see increases that vary by campuses and discipline."
Skimmed it, and missed that part. I also quoted UC President Naplitano's letter that clarifies law school tuition will not be increased:

"The Professional Degree Supplemental Tuition (PDST) approach adopted by the Regents in November would remain in effect, except that PDST for the University's four law schools would remain at 2014-15 levels through 2018-19."

AmicusInimici

New

Post by AmicusInimici » Fri May 15, 2015 11:03 am

spencercross wrote:
Iwanttolawschool wrote:Did you read it?

Skimmed it, and missed that part. I also quoted UC President Naplitano's letter that clarifies law school tuition will not be increased:

"The Professional Degree Supplemental Tuition (PDST) approach adopted by the Regents in November would remain in effect, except that PDST for the University's four law schools would remain at 2014-15 levels through 2018-19."
That's really fantastic news! Great find.

Maybe I'm being a little paranoid, but is there anything else we need to do to secure our scholarship other than deposit and submit the SIR/SLR (which I did a few weeks ago)?

hpocket

New

Post by hpocket » Sun May 17, 2015 5:55 pm

I don't think so! If someone else knows otherwise, please correct me! :)

Iwanttolawschool

Bronze

Post by Iwanttolawschool » Mon May 18, 2015 4:34 pm

is UCLA worth sticker?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OhBoyOhBortles

Gold

Post by OhBoyOhBortles » Mon May 18, 2015 4:35 pm

Iwanttolawschool wrote:is UCLA worth sticker?
No

still

Bronze

Post by still » Sat May 23, 2015 3:49 pm

have you shown them your other offers?
i was accepted off waitlist recently and they gave me a little money after i showed them my other offers

not alot but a whole lot more than that $15k scholly given just to pad their aid percentages

Grunt2Grad

Bronze

Post by Grunt2Grad » Tue May 26, 2015 1:02 pm

I am not sure any school is worth sticker.

Iwanttolawschool

Bronze

Post by Iwanttolawschool » Tue May 26, 2015 1:55 pm

I ended up getting some money folks. Stop Quoting me!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hpocket

New

Post by hpocket » Wed May 27, 2015 12:48 pm

Iwanttolawschool wrote:I ended up getting some money folks. Stop Quoting me!!
Congrats! :mrgreen: Will you be joining us for sure?

ETA: sorry for quoting :oops:

Iwanttolawschool

Bronze

Post by Iwanttolawschool » Wed May 27, 2015 1:02 pm

hpocket wrote:
Iwanttolawschool wrote:I ended up getting some money folks. Stop Quoting me!!
Congrats! :mrgreen: Will you be joining us for sure?

ETA: sorry for quoting :oops:
Haha, I don't actually care if someone quotes. But yea, I'm like 94.6 percent going to UCLA.

still

Bronze

Post by still » Thu May 28, 2015 4:09 am

haha 94.6% is pretty much exactly what i'm thinking too. my UG friends who are now in various UCLA grad programs ask me if i'm coming i tell them 95% yes.

still have some hailmaries in 4-5 T14 WLs but even if i somehow get into one of them its gonna be really hard to leave my fave place in the world

spencercross

Bronze

Post by spencercross » Thu May 28, 2015 1:45 pm

still wrote:
i was accepted off waitlist recently and they gave me a little money after i showed them my other offers

not alot but a whole lot more than that $15k scholly given just to pad their aid percentages
Frustrating to see them giving significantly more money to people with similar stats and softs off the waitlist than they offered me with a normal acceptance, especially after repeatedly insisting that they had no money left. Oh well, glad to see at least some of you remaining UCLA hopefuls are getting workable offers!

Edit: Typos from posting pre-coffee ingestion.
Last edited by spencercross on Thu May 28, 2015 4:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

AmicusInimici

New

Post by AmicusInimici » Thu May 28, 2015 4:20 pm

spencercross wrote:
still wrote:

Frustrating to see them giving more significantly more money to people with similar stats and softs off the waitlist than they offered me with a normal acceptance, especially after repeatedly insisting that there they had no money left. Oh well, glad to see at least some of you remaining UCLA hopefuls are getting workable offers!
Sorry to hear that you haven't had much success negotiating with them. I got a minor increase after my initial offer but it did take several attempts.

On a different note, just received and accepted my housing offer from them, so I'll be in Weyburn this fall. Anyone else going to be there?

Iwanttolawschool

Bronze

Post by Iwanttolawschool » Thu May 28, 2015 4:32 pm

AmicusInimici wrote:
spencercross wrote:
still wrote:

Frustrating to see them giving more significantly more money to people with similar stats and softs off the waitlist than they offered me with a normal acceptance, especially after repeatedly insisting that there they had no money left. Oh well, glad to see at least some of you remaining UCLA hopefuls are getting workable offers!
Sorry to hear that you haven't had much success negotiating with them. I got a minor increase after my initial offer but it did take several attempts.

On a different note, just received and accepted my housing offer from them, so I'll be in Weyburn this fall. Anyone else going to be there?
I just accepted my Weyburn offer as well today. I'm in a 2-person apartment

AmicusInimici

New

Post by AmicusInimici » Thu May 28, 2015 4:39 pm

Iwanttolawschool wrote:
AmicusInimici wrote:
spencercross wrote:
still wrote:

I just accepted my Weyburn offer as well today. I'm in a 2-person apartment
Awesome, I've heard a pretty significant number of law students usually end up there, so I'm looking forward to meeting everybody. I'm in a studio myself.

still

Bronze

Post by still » Thu May 28, 2015 4:59 pm

question for those with housing offers

did you request this offer? did they include it with your acceptance emails/materials, etc?

for me i have to sign up for the lottery and for some reason i'm still at undergrad status for it...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”