UCLA Class of 2018 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
morningstar

Bronze

Re: UCLA Class of 2018

Post by morningstar » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:49 pm

giantswan wrote:
spencercross wrote:
giantswan wrote:-The reevaluation of need-aid every year
What exactly did they say about this? I'm assuming that, barring a dramatic change in your financial situation or their funding, it should remain relatively consistent each year. Did they address that?
Yeah they basically just talked about having to fill out Need Access and FAFSA again and said the aid remains fairly consistent if your financial situation doesn't change too much. I think the most important thing I took away with regards to the need-aid reevaluation was that the on campus positions are not considered when they reevaluate.
Just got my aid award. $105K. Anyone know how to dissect this particular part of the email posted below? Is this supposed to mean "you're not getting any aid award on top of this" or am I reading it wrong? It kind of sounds like they're saying if I get any need aid they'll deduct the amount from the 105k they offered me and just pay out the difference.

This award will include any need-based law grant you may receive from the UCLA School of Law Office of Financial Aid. It will continue in your second and third years of law school so long as you maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 at the end of each academic year, and are not adjudicated in violation of our student conduct policy.

spencercross

Bronze

Post by spencercross » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:02 pm

morningstar wrote:Just got my aid award. $105K. Anyone know how to dissect this particular part of the email posted below? Is this supposed to mean "you're not getting any aid award on top of this" or am I reading it wrong? It kind of sounds like they're saying if I get any need aid they'll deduct the amount from the 105k they offered me and just pay out the difference.

This award will include any need-based law grant you may receive from the UCLA School of Law Office of Financial Aid. It will continue in your second and third years of law school so long as you maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 at the end of each academic year, and are not adjudicated in violation of our student conduct policy.
This came up in the Applicants thread and it sounds like it's "in addition to":
giantswan wrote:
iron tulip wrote:Hi Folks. Probably being a touch lazy here, since I could probably google this information, so I apologize in advanced. I was wondering about this sentence in the Scholarship email:

"This award will include any need-based law grant you may receive from the UCLA School of Law Office of Financial Aid."

Does this mean that the total merit aid - is the maximum grant aid received, irrespective of any need-based grants? So if you a 20k offer, and a 10k need based grant, you don't receive 30k, but 20k. However, looking at UCLA's 509, a number of students received grant/merit aid above the value of a free ride.

Apologies again.
I received my need-aid and they clarified that it was in addition to the merit aid. Just wanted to update you since I had the same wording.

morningstar

Bronze

Post by morningstar » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:11 pm

spencercross wrote:
morningstar wrote:Just got my aid award. $105K. Anyone know how to dissect this particular part of the email posted below? Is this supposed to mean "you're not getting any aid award on top of this" or am I reading it wrong? It kind of sounds like they're saying if I get any need aid they'll deduct the amount from the 105k they offered me and just pay out the difference.

giantswan wrote:
iron tulip wrote:Hi Folks. Probably being a touch lazy here, since I could probably google this information, so I apologize in advanced. I was wondering about this sentence in the Scholarship email:

"This award will include any need-based law grant you may receive from the UCLA School of Law Office of Financial Aid."

Does this mean that the total merit aid - is the maximum grant aid received, irrespective of any need-based grants? So if you a 20k offer, and a 10k need based grant, you don't receive 30k, but 20k. However, looking at UCLA's 509, a number of students received grant/merit aid above the value of a free ride.

Apologies again.
I received my need-aid and they clarified that it was in addition to the merit aid. Just wanted to update you since I had the same wording.
Phew! Thanks for this, you're awesome!

spencercross

Bronze

Post by spencercross » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:21 pm

morningstar wrote:
spencercross wrote:

giantswan wrote:

Apologies again.
Phew! Thanks for this, you're awesome!
So are you! :D

Dipper

Bronze

Post by Dipper » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:18 pm

Anyone try to negotiate recently with any success? Trying to gauge whether this is a good time to ask, or whether I should wait until more people withdraw.

ETA: Tried to negotiate an existing offer, but no luck. Not sure if I've just reached the top of what my numbers are worth to them (likely), or if it's not a great time to ask (i.e., they're still giving first round scholarships out, and few people are likely to have withdrawn yet).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RubyRod

Bronze

Post by RubyRod » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:23 pm

Seems like there is a big round of aid being awarded in the next couple of weeks to the people they accepted two weeks ago, so I would probably wait and try again. Did you use a competing offer?

Dipper

Bronze

Post by Dipper » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:27 pm

mec896 wrote:Seems like there is a big round of aid being awarded in the next couple of weeks to the people they accepted two weeks ago, so I would probably wait and try again. Did you use a competing offer?
Yes, I did. They said to try again after the first deposit deadline. It sounds like what GW is doing.

RubyRod

Bronze

Post by RubyRod » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:10 pm

Last edited by RubyRod on Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ub3r

Bronze

Post by ub3r » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:22 pm

Checking in since I'm probably going here unless Stanford says yes (lol) or my T6 acceptance gives me some money (lol)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dipper

Bronze

Post by Dipper » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:41 pm

ub3r wrote:Checking in since I'm probably going here unless Stanford says yes (lol) or my T6 acceptance gives me some money (lol)
You're really turning down CLS, ub3r? Do you want big law?

hearsay77

Silver

Post by hearsay77 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:08 pm

Dipper wrote:
mec896 wrote:Seems like there is a big round of aid being awarded in the next couple of weeks to the people they accepted two weeks ago, so I would probably wait and try again. Did you use a competing offer?
Yes, I did. They said to try again after the first deposit deadline. It sounds like what GW is doing.
I had the same response from them yesterday. :(

minion2018

New

Post by minion2018 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:32 am

Does orientation start August 10th?

hearsay77

Silver

Post by hearsay77 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:56 pm

mec896 wrote:
Dipper wrote:
That's disappointing. I really wanted to negotiate my offer, whenever they get around to sending it. Are they giving you an extension on the deadline?
I asked for one after my negotiation request was rejected and they said they can't extend the deadline either.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ub3r

Bronze

Post by ub3r » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:59 pm

Dipper wrote:
ub3r wrote:Checking in since I'm probably going here unless Stanford says yes (lol) or my T6 acceptance gives me some money (lol)
Not really. And even if I did, I'd rather struggle to get it but have no debt than automatically qualify with 300k in loans.

Dipper

Bronze

Post by Dipper » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:00 pm

ub3r wrote:
Dipper wrote:
Not really. And even if I did, I'd rather struggle to get it but have no debt than automatically qualify with 300k in loans.
Can't really argue with that.

lokikoala

Bronze

Post by lokikoala » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:54 pm

How long after acceptance before you got your scholarship offer? Thanks!

RubyRod

Bronze

Post by RubyRod » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:33 pm

lokikoala wrote:How long after acceptance before you got your scholarship offer? Thanks!
I think it was 4 and a half weeks for me, but I sent them an inquiry after 2 weeks to find out where I stood in the evaluation process.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RubyRod

Bronze

Post by RubyRod » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:37 pm

Last edited by RubyRod on Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dipper

Bronze

Post by Dipper » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:56 pm

mec896 wrote:Also, has anyone had any success at all with negotiating so far, even if it wasn't recent?
It seems like people have been successful in going from no scholly to some scholly, but few (if any?) have been successful in going from scholly to better scholly.

ub3r

Bronze

Post by ub3r » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:08 pm

Dipper wrote:
mec896 wrote:Also, has anyone had any success at all with negotiating so far, even if it wasn't recent?
It seems like people have been successful in going from no scholly to some scholly, but few (if any?) have been successful in going from scholly to better scholly.
I tried to get more money than they already offered, and was unsuccessful.

bingo90

New

Post by bingo90 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:30 pm

ub3r wrote:
Dipper wrote:
I tried to get more money than they already offered, and was unsuccessful.
I successfully negotiated a little bit more money from them. I told them about larger scholarship offers from peer schools, and they got back to me a few days later. Feel free to PM for more details.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RubyRod

Bronze

Post by RubyRod » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:48 pm

Last edited by RubyRod on Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RubyRod

Bronze

Post by RubyRod » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:16 pm

Last edited by RubyRod on Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bisa

New

Post by bisa » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:03 pm

SO EXCITED TO CHECK IN! I just got into UCLA & the Epstein program via phone call (better this late than never!!!)!!!! This is my top choice school and program!

RubyRod

Bronze

Post by RubyRod » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:29 pm

bisa wrote:SO EXCITED TO CHECK IN! I just got into UCLA & the Epstein program via phone call (better this late than never!!!)!!!! This is my top choice school and program!
Congrats! Glad someone is breathing some new life into this thread. It's been pretty dead!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”