Stanford Law School Class of 2018

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Where are you in the decision making process?

Committed to Stanford!
11
50%
99% sure I'll be at Stanford, 1% room for changing my mind
2
9%
Still waiting on financial aid
0
No votes
Still weighing my other options
1
5%
Definitely attending another school
8
36%
 
Total votes: 22

zaetoroftheprotoss
Posts: 117
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:42 pm

Re: Stanford Law School Class of 2018

Postby zaetoroftheprotoss » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:32 pm

Thanks Strugglebus!

What did everyone get for housing? I'll be in Munger 4 :D

JER1986
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:30 pm

Re: Stanford Law School Class of 2018

Postby JER1986 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:38 pm

zaetoroftheprotoss wrote:What did everyone get for housing? I'll be in Munger 4 :D


I'm looking at off-campus options in the area. (I'll be bringing my dog with me, so living on campus is unfortunately not an option.) I'll probably post something on the Facebook group, but it can't hurt to ask here as well. Housing costs appear to be terrible across the board, but I figure it'd be much more manageable to split a two- or three-bedroom place if anyone is interested. So, anybody who's dog-friendly and looking for potential off-campus roommates, feel free to shoot me a message and we can discuss options. For some basic demographics, I'm a 29-year-old male and I'll be getting out of the Marine Corps this summer and moving from North Carolina to California sometime in mid-August. I'm not hugely picky on roommates as long as we get along.

Anyway, I hope the housing lottery worked out well for everyone and I'm looking forward to meeting y'all in the fall.

User avatar
Mack.Hambleton
Posts: 5417
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 am

Re: Stanford Law School Class of 2018

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:19 am

checking in off the waitlist!!

any ppl who chose S over H or were deciding between the two pls pm! tyia

User avatar
Vincent
Posts: 258
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:57 pm

Re: Stanford Law School Class of 2018

Postby Vincent » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:56 pm

koalacity wrote:
littlepuff wrote:
radio1nowhere wrote:CHECKING IN :mrgreen:

I also have a question for you lovely people. I'm trying to do some H vs. S research, and I keep seeing in past TLS "H vs. S" threads that Stanford's no-grade policy is something to compare with Harvard's more competitive environment. Some quick google searches, however, seem to indicate that H and S use essentially the same grading system.

Harvard: Honors, Pass, Low Pass, Fail
Stanford: Honors, Pass, Restricted Credit, Fail

Where, then, is the difference in grades? Am I missing something? Has the system changed?


Congrats!

Stanford changed its grading system to the current one in the fall of 2008, a year before Harvard's reform. I can see at least one "H vs S" thread that was posted in the fall of 2008, at which point only Stanford had adopted the four-level grading system.

Also, to the best of my knowledge, almost no student at Stanford receives an RC, while some classes at Harvard do give out LPs to a small number of students. But I think Harvard is also moving toward giving increasingly fewer LPs.

But all in all, I think that the grading systems of the two schools have little difference.

(Edited to add some more comments)

It's unclear how many students receive RCs. I've heard everything from "never" to 10-15 students per year. I do think that LPs are slightly more prevalent at H, though.

Note that the grading scale also includes book prizes (for Stanford) and DS (for Harvard), which are basically the same thing (awarded to the top handful of people per class).

Note also that Harvard's grading scale is a bit more generous (~38% H/rest P) than Stanford's (hard 30% H/rest P) AND that Harvard's curve is discretionary for seminars, which is not true at Stanford. The bolded isn't something I was aware of before coming here, but it's something to seriously consider-having curved seminars sucks.

eta: the source I have for there being something like 10-15 RCs given per year is a pretty reliable one. I don't know of anyone who got one, but it's also true that getting an RC isn't something that people would be likely to share with others (especially given that most people don't talk about grades much anyway).


Beating a long dead horse here, but koala (PM or FB me since I'm genuinely curious) where did you hear that seminars are hard-curved? Two of my spring professors both said to multiple members of our classes that they liked that [because they weren't a required 1L course] they were not constrained by the curve and could go up to (iirc) 50% H's.

User avatar
turtles
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:23 pm

Re: Stanford Law School Class of 2018

Postby turtles » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:11 pm

Vincent wrote:
koalacity wrote:
littlepuff wrote:
radio1nowhere wrote:CHECKING IN :mrgreen:

I also have a question for you lovely people. I'm trying to do some H vs. S research, and I keep seeing in past TLS "H vs. S" threads that Stanford's no-grade policy is something to compare with Harvard's more competitive environment. Some quick google searches, however, seem to indicate that H and S use essentially the same grading system.

Harvard: Honors, Pass, Low Pass, Fail
Stanford: Honors, Pass, Restricted Credit, Fail

Where, then, is the difference in grades? Am I missing something? Has the system changed?


Congrats!

Stanford changed its grading system to the current one in the fall of 2008, a year before Harvard's reform. I can see at least one "H vs S" thread that was posted in the fall of 2008, at which point only Stanford had adopted the four-level grading system.

Also, to the best of my knowledge, almost no student at Stanford receives an RC, while some classes at Harvard do give out LPs to a small number of students. But I think Harvard is also moving toward giving increasingly fewer LPs.

But all in all, I think that the grading systems of the two schools have little difference.

(Edited to add some more comments)

It's unclear how many students receive RCs. I've heard everything from "never" to 10-15 students per year. I do think that LPs are slightly more prevalent at H, though.

Note that the grading scale also includes book prizes (for Stanford) and DS (for Harvard), which are basically the same thing (awarded to the top handful of people per class).

Note also that Harvard's grading scale is a bit more generous (~38% H/rest P) than Stanford's (hard 30% H/rest P) AND that Harvard's curve is discretionary for seminars, which is not true at Stanford. The bolded isn't something I was aware of before coming here, but it's something to seriously consider-having curved seminars sucks.

eta: the source I have for there being something like 10-15 RCs given per year is a pretty reliable one. I don't know of anyone who got one, but it's also true that getting an RC isn't something that people would be likely to share with others (especially given that most people don't talk about grades much anyway).


Beating a long dead horse here, but koala (PM or FB me since I'm genuinely curious) where did you hear that seminars are hard-curved? Two of my spring professors both said to multiple members of our classes that they liked that [because they weren't a required 1L course] they were not constrained by the curve and could go up to (iirc) 50% H's.


deleted

Notareallawyer123
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 2:39 pm

Re: Stanford Law School Class of 2018

Postby Notareallawyer123 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:33 pm

Anyone have any advice for affordable housing off campus for a couple?

Munger's price is ridiculous and Escondido is pretty full (plus 400 square feet for two people sounds a little hard).

User avatar
koalacity
Posts: 1162
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:56 pm

Re: Stanford Law School Class of 2018

Postby koalacity » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:41 pm

Notareallawyer123 wrote:Anyone have any advice for affordable housing off campus for a couple?

Munger's price is ridiculous and Escondido is pretty full (plus 400 square feet for two people sounds a little hard).

You will not find off-campus housing more affordable than Munger or EV *anywhere* near the law school. If Munger is available to you, take it and don't look back.

User avatar
LoganCouture
Posts: 1409
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:48 pm

Re: Stanford Law School Class of 2018

Postby LoganCouture » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:43 pm

koalacity wrote:
Notareallawyer123 wrote:Anyone have any advice for affordable housing off campus for a couple?

Munger's price is ridiculous and Escondido is pretty full (plus 400 square feet for two people sounds a little hard).

You will not find off-campus housing more affordable than Munger or EV *anywhere* near the law school. If Munger is available to you, take it and don't look back.


Really true re: price. Just wanted to add that I have lived in EV couples housing (mid rise 1Br) for a year and don't find it too small. But I guess that depends on what kind of space you're used to and how much stuff y'all have.

But to check out housing other places craigslist and supost.com are where I'd look.




Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest