Columbia Class of 2018

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Why did you choose Columbia?

Location
19
17%
Prestige/ranking
42
37%
Job prospects
28
25%
Professors and academics
7
6%
$$ The big fat Hamilton I got $$
17
15%
 
Total votes: 113

jrush
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 10:53 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2018

Postby jrush » Wed May 13, 2015 10:56 am

Checking in!

As far as housing goes, I listed all the 115th St. and 116th St. places highest because I'd like law school roommates. However, heard these are kind of dormy and potentially disappointing compared to apparently pretty nice options through UAH. What did you guys go for and why? Any 1Ls have thoughts on UAH vs. 115th & 116th Street?

kingpin101
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:24 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2018

Postby kingpin101 » Wed May 13, 2015 6:20 pm

jrush wrote:Checking in!

As far as housing goes, I listed all the 115th St. and 116th St. places highest because I'd like law school roommates. However, heard these are kind of dormy and potentially disappointing compared to apparently pretty nice options through UAH. What did you guys go for and why? Any 1Ls have thoughts on UAH vs. 115th & 116th Street?

Remember that if you choose UAH you can always request law school roommates.

subtle
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:43 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2018

Postby subtle » Wed May 13, 2015 11:28 pm

jrush wrote:Checking in!

As far as housing goes, I listed all the 115th St. and 116th St. places highest because I'd like law school roommates. However, heard these are kind of dormy and potentially disappointing compared to apparently pretty nice options through UAH. What did you guys go for and why? Any 1Ls have thoughts on UAH vs. 115th & 116th Street?



UAH > Law school housing.


UAH = generally cheaper, but farther* away. (*Farther = 3 blocks instead of 1)

jrush
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 10:53 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2018

Postby jrush » Thu May 14, 2015 12:16 am

kingpin101 wrote:
jrush wrote:Checking in!

As far as housing goes, I listed all the 115th St. and 116th St. places highest because I'd like law school roommates. However, heard these are kind of dormy and potentially disappointing compared to apparently pretty nice options through UAH. What did you guys go for and why? Any 1Ls have thoughts on UAH vs. 115th & 116th Street?

Remember that if you choose UAH you can always request law school roommates.


I just went back and looked at the form but didn't see an option to request a law school roommate when selecting UAH. How do you request it?

kingpin101
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:24 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2018

Postby kingpin101 » Thu May 14, 2015 9:48 am

jrush wrote:
kingpin101 wrote:
jrush wrote:Checking in!

As far as housing goes, I listed all the 115th St. and 116th St. places highest because I'd like law school roommates. However, heard these are kind of dormy and potentially disappointing compared to apparently pretty nice options through UAH. What did you guys go for and why? Any 1Ls have thoughts on UAH vs. 115th & 116th Street?

Remember that if you choose UAH you can always request law school roommates.


I just went back and looked at the form but didn't see an option to request a law school roommate when selecting UAH. How do you request it?

This is straight from the housing liaison: In general graduate housing you can have a flat mate from any of the 13 graduate schools. If you opt to live in general graduate housing, you can always send me an email requesting a law flatmate. UAH can typically accommodate that request.

User avatar
90convoy
Posts: 918
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:59 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2018

Postby 90convoy » Thu May 14, 2015 7:59 pm

has anyone not turned in the loan form yet?

JFO1833
Posts: 261
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:06 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2018

Postby JFO1833 » Thu May 14, 2015 9:46 pm

90convoy wrote:has anyone not turned in the loan form yet?


Faxed it in today. You need to do the entrance counseling and master promissory notes online in addition to filling out the form. When you fill it out make sure you account for fees when figuring out how much to borrow.

qwertyTLS
Posts: 278
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:06 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2018

Postby qwertyTLS » Fri May 15, 2015 12:04 am

90convoy wrote:has anyone not turned in the loan form yet?

...what's the loan form?

User avatar
90convoy
Posts: 918
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:59 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2018

Postby 90convoy » Fri May 15, 2015 12:26 am

qwertyTLS wrote:
90convoy wrote:has anyone not turned in the loan form yet?

...what's the loan form?


you didnt get one? you put how much money you wanna borrow on it

User avatar
lnick93
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 4:04 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2018

Postby lnick93 » Fri May 15, 2015 12:43 am

JFO1833 wrote:
90convoy wrote:has anyone not turned in the loan form yet?


Faxed it in today. You need to do the entrance counseling and master promissory notes online in addition to filling out the form. When you fill it out make sure you account for fees when figuring out how much to borrow.


Do you know if we need to do the entrance counseling by end of day tomorrow?

lc0626
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:44 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2018

Postby lc0626 » Fri May 15, 2015 9:16 am

90convoy wrote:
qwertyTLS wrote:
90convoy wrote:has anyone not turned in the loan form yet?

...what's the loan form?


you didnt get one? you put how much money you wanna borrow on it


Wait when is it due? I got an e-mail stating the amount of scholarship award, but I STILL haven't gotten the official award letter or any other loan-related forms.

User avatar
lnick93
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 4:04 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2018

Postby lnick93 » Fri May 15, 2015 11:17 am

lc0626 wrote:
90convoy wrote:
qwertyTLS wrote:
90convoy wrote:has anyone not turned in the loan form yet?

...what's the loan form?


you didnt get one? you put how much money you wanna borrow on it


Wait when is it due? I got an e-mail stating the amount of scholarship award, but I STILL haven't gotten the official award letter or any other loan-related forms.


It's due today, but if you haven't received the official award letter I would call them.

User avatar
Eladriel
Posts: 268
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:53 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2018

Postby Eladriel » Fri May 15, 2015 11:53 am

Lotta stuff due today.

User avatar
maroon175
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:46 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2018

Postby maroon175 » Fri May 15, 2015 12:17 pm

Eladriel wrote:Lotta stuff due today.


Is there anything else due today apart from the Housing Application form and the Loan form?

lukewarmest
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:00 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2018

Postby lukewarmest » Fri May 15, 2015 12:22 pm

Called the financial aid office because I entirely forgot about the loan application form. They said today is a soft deadline and it's okay to send it in next week.

User avatar
Eladriel
Posts: 268
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:53 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2018

Postby Eladriel » Fri May 15, 2015 12:29 pm

maroon175 wrote:
Eladriel wrote:Lotta stuff due today.


Is there anything else due today apart from the Housing Application form and the Loan form?


From OP:
May 15: Submission deadline:
• University Apartment Housing application
• Fin. Aid Questionnaire to FAO for loan borrowers
• Loan applications to FAO
• FAFSA to federal processor (http://www.fafsa.ed.gov, listing Columbia Law School as a report recipient)

lukewarmest wrote:Called the financial aid office because I entirely forgot about the loan application form. They said today is a soft deadline and it's okay to send it in next week.


That's nice to hear.

User avatar
LetsGoMets
Posts: 824
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:32 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2018

Postby LetsGoMets » Fri May 15, 2015 12:36 pm

By loan form do you guys mean the Financial Aid Questionnaire? Or is that yet another thing?

jrush
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 10:53 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2018

Postby jrush » Fri May 15, 2015 12:54 pm

LetsGoMets wrote:By loan form do you guys mean the Financial Aid Questionnaire? Or is that yet another thing?

The financial aid questionnaire in addition to the MPN and Entrance Counseling (for Stafford Unsubsidized and Graduate PLUS Loans). I just called and made sure that's exactly what they meant.

What are you guys picking for housing?

lc0626
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:44 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2018

Postby lc0626 » Fri May 15, 2015 1:04 pm

jrush wrote:
LetsGoMets wrote:By loan form do you guys mean the Financial Aid Questionnaire? Or is that yet another thing?

The financial aid questionnaire in addition to the MPN and Entrance Counseling (for Stafford Unsubsidized and Graduate PLUS Loans). I just called and made sure that's exactly what they meant.

What are you guys picking for housing?


Thanks for the clarification!

I'm torn between UAH studio and law school housing apartment share. But from what I've understood, there's a chance that I may assigned to a housing in Riverdale or Bronx if I apply for UAH housing.

JFO1833
Posts: 261
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:06 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2018

Postby JFO1833 » Fri May 15, 2015 1:28 pm

lc0626 wrote:But from what I've understood, there's a chance that I may assigned to a housing in Riverdale or Bronx if I apply for UAH housing.


There is a space on the application where you can express interest in housing at the Arbor in Riverdale. I think, but I am not sure that you won't get placed in Riverdale if you say you are not interested in that. I don't think any of the other housing is outside of the immediate neighborhood.

lc0626
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:44 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2018

Postby lc0626 » Fri May 15, 2015 1:38 pm

JFO1833 wrote:
lc0626 wrote:But from what I've understood, there's a chance that I may assigned to a housing in Riverdale or Bronx if I apply for UAH housing.


There is a space on the application where you can express interest in housing at the Arbor in Riverdale. I think, but I am not sure that you won't get placed in Riverdale if you say you are not interested in that. I don't think any of the other housing is outside of the immediate neighborhood.


Thanks for the info! But I just applied for law school housing (apartment share) because someone who goes to Columbia College told me that the minimum rent for a studio right around the campus is about $1500.

tecumseh115
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:31 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2018

Postby tecumseh115 » Mon May 18, 2015 12:22 pm

Anyone have a general idea of when our housing assignments come through? Excited to either find out where I am living or --if the assignment is shit -- to begin scouring rental websites.

User avatar
Beanie14
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:19 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2018

Postby Beanie14 » Mon May 18, 2015 1:02 pm

tecumseh115 wrote:Anyone have a general idea of when our housing assignments come through? Excited to either find out where I am living or --if the assignment is shit -- to begin scouring rental websites.


From last year's thread, it looks like couple's housing started coming out about a week after the housing app deadline, and other housing came between the very end of May and mid-June.

User avatar
LetsGoMets
Posts: 824
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:32 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2018

Postby LetsGoMets » Mon May 18, 2015 1:05 pm

tecumseh115 wrote:Anyone have a general idea of when our housing assignments come through? Excited to either find out where I am living or --if the assignment is shit -- to begin scouring rental websites.


Apparently last year it started as early as the last week in May, but continued for several weeks after: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=221350&start=1425

Haven't been able to find yet when their application deadline was to compare to this year though

ETA: Partially scooped

User avatar
LetsGoMets
Posts: 824
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:32 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2018

Postby LetsGoMets » Mon May 18, 2015 1:46 pm

Wow, we are way behind last year's thread. On May 18, 2014 they were on page 56: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=221350&start=1375




Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests