Columbia Class of 2018

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Why did you choose Columbia?

17%
Prestige/ranking
37%
Job prospects
25%
Professors and academics
6%
$$ The big fat Hamilton I got $$
15%

Total votes: 113

ChemEng1642

Re: Columbia Class of 2018

Postby ChemEng1642 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:12 am

How important is it to ask for a specific value? It's easier when you have other $$ offers to ask them to at least match it but that's not something you'd really be able to do with H...

bklynlady

Postby bklynlady » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:24 am

Yes, thanks for the sage advice. And yes, have the offer of a Butler, but frankly, 1/2 at CLS still leaves a big chunk left to pay. NYU made a slightly better offer and still considering that as well (as well as negotiating with them with the HLS admission.) How do you think the negotiation should be broached, i.e. e-mail, phone? I'll be attending the next AS event 3/25. Think I should wait until after that?

wonka

Postby wonka » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:28 am

I think a lot of people would kill for a Butler, and would leave HLS behind for one in a heartbeat. Negotiating higher than that is going to be tough.

Cradle6

Postby Cradle6 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:31 am

So since Columbia requires complete taxes from yourself and your parents (if you're under a certain age), I've hit some resistance from my parents.

They won't be helping me during law school, but feel that sending a completed tax return is too much personal information. Said that a w-2 isn't a big deal, but sending a complete tax return (that isn't done yet anyway) opens a door for identity fraud.

Does columbia really require the whole tax return (including all addendums?)

Skool

Postby Skool » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:34 am

ChemEng1642 wrote:How important is it to ask for a specific value? It's easier when you have other $$ offers to ask them to at least match it but that's not something you'd really be able to do with H...
I don't know that I've ever heard the best approach on that front. I feel like so much of the play book is still being written.

bklynlady wrote:How do you think the negotiation should be broached, i.e. e-mail, phone? I'll be attending the next AS event 3/25. Think I should wait until after that?
I would say definitely email, because Columbia seems to want pdfs of other offers and admissions seems to be coordinating closely with the financial aid office (not the case at every school). If you want to know how I know, PM me.

I also don't know about waiting. Some schools like UVa are hitting people with , sorry, we're out of money, maybe talk to us again in a few weeks. I don't know how big a risk waiting is at Columbia or whether they're ever at risk of running out of money. I think the TCR is your leverage goes up the closer you get to Deposit deadlines and just after those deadlines (hence the controversy on double depositing).

I will also say, it's nice to have demonstrated your interest in the school before hand by having attended an ASW, but I don't know if waiting is a good idea if they might run out of money by then. There's just a lot I/we don't know.

Skool

Postby Skool » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:37 am

Cradle6 wrote:So since Columbia requires complete taxes from yourself and your parents (if you're under a certain age), I've hit some resistance from my parents.

They won't be helping me during law school, but feel that sending a completed tax return is too much personal information. Said that a w-2 isn't a big deal, but sending a complete tax return (that isn't done yet anyway) opens a door for identity fraud.

The identity fraud thing, would it ease your parents' mind if you redact their SS numbers from the documents? You can do that in Adobe Pro (or MS paint if you want ghetto looking return). Penn recommends this and I doubt Columbia would mind.

bklynlady

Postby bklynlady » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:38 am

Seems like they do...but all that info is already on the Free Access form that I assume you already submitted. Tell your parents that CLS already has all that information anyway, and this is just additional confirmation.

http://web.law.columbia.edu/financial-a ... hip-grants

But I would call them up and discuss it with them. You have nothing to lose.
Last edited by bklynlady on Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

tk17

Postby tk17 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:50 am

Skool wrote:I also don't know about waiting. Some schools like UVa are hitting people with , sorry, we're out of money, maybe talk to us again in a few weeks. I don't know how big a risk waiting is at Columbia or whether they're ever at risk of running out of money.

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/mistake-1-you-are-too-nice/

I found this to be interesting. Especially the part about remembering that they aren't actually giving you money. You're still paying them, just a smaller amount.

Cradle6

Postby Cradle6 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:51 am

Skool wrote:
Cradle6 wrote:So since Columbia requires complete taxes from yourself and your parents (if you're under a certain age), I've hit some resistance from my parents.

The identity fraud thing, would it ease your parents' mind if you redact their SS numbers from the documents? You can do that in Adobe Pro (or MS paint if you want ghetto looking return). Penn recommends this and I doubt Columbia would mind.

Are Penn and Columbia the only schools that ask for the completed tax return? I'm looking at other schools and don't see the requirement. Chicago only wants the Need Access and FAFSA it looks like.

Edit: also what's the safest way to send these tax returns? And what do most people do? Attach to an email? Or snail mail?

bklynlady

Postby bklynlady » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:56 am

Thanks for the link! I think he is absolutely right.

Skool

Postby Skool » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:59 am

I don't know that it's standard for Penn to ask for completed tax returns.

Skool

Postby Skool » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:16 pm

tk17 wrote:
Skool wrote:I also don't know about waiting. Some schools like UVa are hitting people with , sorry, we're out of money, maybe talk to us again in a few weeks. I don't know how big a risk waiting is at Columbia or whether they're ever at risk of running out of money.

I found this to be interesting. Especially the part about remembering that they aren't actually giving you money. You're still paying them, just a smaller amount.
I take the point, but I also recall a few years ago where a Dean had to resign because he had went over his scholarship budget by a crazy amount.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/edu ... 56307942/1

The school isn't writing you a check, true. But they are budgeting the money they expect you and the Feds to pony up, and the discounts they give you can have real world consequences.

I say this to point out that sometimes, they fiscally won't be able to "give out" more money, so the timing can matter (hence Spivey's points 4 and 5)

Sirius Blackstone

Postby Sirius Blackstone » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:30 pm

As a current 2L here, I'm worried that your class will be insufferable next year based on how many of you chose "prestige/ranking" in the Why CLS poll.

But, congrats and welcome.

bklynlady

Postby bklynlady » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:43 pm

Sirius Blackstone wrote:As a current 2L here, I'm worried that your class will be insufferable next year based on how many of you chose "prestige/ranking" in the Why CLS poll.

So what was your reason for choosing CLS?

bklynlady

Postby bklynlady » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:45 pm

Skool wrote:
tk17 wrote:

I take the point, but I also recall a few years ago where a Dean had to resign because he had went over his scholarship budget by a crazy amount.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/edu ... 56307942/1

The school isn't writing you a check, true. But they are budgeting the money they expect you and the Feds to pony up, and the discounts they give you can have real world consequences.

I say this to point out that sometimes, they fiscally won't be able to "give out" more money, so the timing can matter (hence Spivey's points 4 and 5)

Yes, I'm sure timing has a lot to do with it. As for one of my original questions, how do they distribute the Hamiltons when those people ditch CLS for HYS? Do they give the funds to previously accepted applicants, or do they give it to waitlisters they will now have to admit?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:53 pm

CLS only has 13 people getting full tuition in the entire school so I doubt they give out any more Hamiltons. The vast majority will just go unclaimed

Skool

Postby Skool » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:57 pm

Also, they also make a big deal of saying merit scholarships can't be awarded retroactively, so if the Hamilton/Butler money is redistributed later, it isn't redistributed as such to already admitted students.

bklynlady

Postby bklynlady » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:04 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:CLS only has 13 people getting full tuition in the entire school so I doubt they give out any more Hamiltons. The vast majority will just go unclaimed

Whats your source for that number? Is that for the current 1L class? How many people are in on Butlers?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:06 pm

bklynlady

Postby bklynlady » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:12 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:http://www.abarequireddisclosures.org/

Thanks! Was unaware of that site.

LetsGoMets

Postby LetsGoMets » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:11 pm

I'm continually amazed that there are only 3-4 people who take Hamiltons in each class, of the, what, 30-40 that are given out each year? You'd think that most of them got Rubies/Vanderbilts/lower T14 full rides and took those instead, but just taking a quick scan of LSN for the last few years shows that most of them ended up at Harvard.

Skool

Postby Skool » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:14 pm

That number would also include the public service fellowship people too.

Sirius Blackstone

Postby Sirius Blackstone » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:15 pm

bklynlady wrote:
Sirius Blackstone wrote:As a current 2L here, I'm worried that your class will be insufferable next year based on how many of you chose "prestige/ranking" in the Why CLS poll.

Job prospects + scholarship money.

Skool

Postby Skool » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:19 pm

Sirius Blackstone wrote:
bklynlady wrote:

Now that I think about it, it's kind of funny because prestige and job prospects are basically coextensive, but people are still basically selecting for prestige.

Sirius Blackstone

Postby Sirius Blackstone » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:21 pm

Skool wrote:
Sirius Blackstone wrote:
bklynlady wrote:

Now that I think about it, it's kind of funny because prestige and job prospects are basically coextensive, but people are still basically selecting for prestige.

Nope, prestige and job prospects are not coextensive. Examples: Michigan, Georgetown.

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”