Columbia Class of 2018 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Why did you choose Columbia?

16%
Prestige/ranking
39%
Job prospects
24%
Professors and academics
6%
$$ The big fat Hamilton I got $$
16%

Total votes: 122

ChemEng1642

Silver

Re: Columbia Class of 2018

Post by ChemEng1642 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:22 pm

Beanie14 wrote:Finally made my travel plans for the ASW next week!

Does anyone know what appropriate attire for it is?
I don't know but it's involving boots (albeit nicer looking black ones) because there's no way I'm walking around the cold in anything else.

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:49 pm

Pretty sure I'll be wearing jeans to ASWs. Not sure why anyone feels the need to look formal. They already let us in, and you're not impressing professors by the way you're dressed, especially before you're even a student.

ChemEng1642

Silver

Post by ChemEng1642 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:52 pm

LetsGoMets wrote:Pretty sure I'll be wearing jeans to ASWs. Not sure why anyone feels the need to look formal. They already let us in, and you're not impressing professors by the way you're dressed, especially before you're even a student.
Yeah I'll be rocking some nicer jeans too - at least on some of the days. My only concern is if they take us out to dinner somewhere nice I don't want to be that person who's wearing jeans in a nice restaurant or something.

Haven't looked at the schedule too closely though

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:13 pm

Don't think CLS has anything off campus on their schedule, but could be wrong.

ETA: Possibly some of the student org events on Wednesday evening. Anyone have a sense of what those are like? Current students?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:49 pm

LetsGoMets wrote:Don't think CLS has anything off campus on their schedule, but could be wrong.

ETA: Possibly some of the student org events on Wednesday evening. Anyone have a sense of what those are like? Current students?
Mostly just dive bars or other places where dress really isn't a big deal. I wouldn't worry about what you wear to ASW

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ChemEng1642

Silver

Post by ChemEng1642 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:13 pm

Just got the Columbia housing email!

Before I sign up for anything - this is not binding right?

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:15 pm

They seem to have forgotten to put my PID in mine. Do you have one listed?

And thanks Tiago

ETA: No, it's not binding. It says somewhere on the admitted website that signing up for housing is a totally separate process from submitting intent to enroll.

af0890

New

Post by af0890 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:22 pm

Last edited by af0890 on Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mmarion44

New

Post by mmarion44 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:22 pm

Yeah my PID number is blank as well. Does anyone know what the UNI e-mail is? The housing e-mail "strongly recommends" using it for the housing portal, but I don't have a UNI e-mail and when I went through the steps to get one (entered my name, birthday and social) it said I wasn't in the system and couldn't get one.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:25 pm

af0890 wrote:Can you apply for loans to cover off-campus housing? I live in NYC now and pay less than their housing cost, would like to continue doing that but obviously won't have a full-time job next year...
yeah they don't care what you do with your loan money

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:27 pm

mmarion44 wrote:Yeah my PID number is blank as well. Does anyone know what the UNI e-mail is? The housing e-mail "strongly recommends" using it for the housing portal, but I don't have a UNI e-mail and when I went through the steps to get one (entered my name, birthday and social) it said I wasn't in the system and couldn't get one.
Oy Columbia. Bureaucratic nightmares before we even commit. Pretty sure they'll send out a new email apologizing for omitting the PIDs later today or tomorrow (and if they don't I'm sure someone will tell them).

Info on UNIs: http://cuit.columbia.edu/cuit/manage-my-uni

I think it might be University Network Identifier? Or something similar. Seems odd to ask us to use those before we commit and have them issued.

ChemEng1642

Silver

Post by ChemEng1642 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:44 pm

LetsGoMets wrote:They seem to have forgotten to put my PID in mine. Do you have one listed?

And thanks Tiago

ETA: No, it's not binding. It says somewhere on the admitted website that signing up for housing is a totally separate process from submitting intent to enroll.
nope - whelp ok nvm then :P

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:52 pm

Aaaand there it is. At least they caught it quickly.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

madhatter2020

New

Post by madhatter2020 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:54 pm

Same here. No PID and I was unable to create a UNI. Guess we are getting all this important info piecemeal...

ChemEng1642

Silver

Post by ChemEng1642 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:56 pm

You don't really need the UNI though
Email from Columbia wrote:If you do not use your UNI Lionmail account, then please use a non-expiring email account.

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:58 pm

Just got my PID in a new email in case that wasn't clear. The good news is that they (claim that they) don't even look at applications until May 15, so it doesn't matter when we get it in between now and then.

Don't understand at all why they urge you to use a Columbia email address, I assume most people have permanent personal emails, as well as undergrad emails that they keep for life.

mmarion44

New

Post by mmarion44 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:37 pm

Hey all, so for those of you who have taken a look at the housing stuff, was anyone else surprised by the move in date options? It gives you the ability to list your preference as any date basically from May through August. Any current students on here know when people typically move in?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:40 pm

mmarion44 wrote:Hey all, so for those of you who have taken a look at the housing stuff, was anyone else surprised by the move in date options? It gives you the ability to list your preference as any date basically from May through August. Any current students on here know when people typically move in?
Saw that as well and had the same question. Also, it looks like 1L registration/orientation starts August 17 -- how long before then does it make sense to move into on-campus housing?

Jessasaurus

Bronze

Post by Jessasaurus » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:47 pm

scoobysnax wrote:
EquallyWrong wrote:
Jessasaurus wrote:
Four Winds wrote:
Yikes. Thanks for the insight. Do most law students brave the stampede or do they opt for non-Columbia options (NYSC etc.)?

Its a mixed bag. I think a lot of 1ls brave the stampede, but after 1l SAs or knowing you will have an SA for 2l people tend to splurge and go elsewhere. There are discounts for columbia students at local gyms, but from what I've heard it's still fairly pricey. Not sure how much, since I (only occasionally) brave the columbia gym.

What's good is when its nice out, we are so close to riverside park or central park that you can run/bike etc outside.
It's weird that you're acting like a gym expert as if you go there regularly, it just feels disingenuous.
very disingenuous
YOU GUYS! I went twice this week!

almondjoy

Bronze

Post by almondjoy » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:55 pm

mmarion44 wrote:Hey all, so for those of you who have taken a look at the housing stuff, was anyone else surprised by the move in date options? It gives you the ability to list your preference as any date basically from May through August. Any current students on here know when people typically move in?
I moved in a few days before orientation (like August 8th or something). I know a lot of people moved in either a week earlier or even last week of july. Doesn't really matter, although if you're from the west coast or somewhere else like me, I knew absolutely zero people so I tried to move in as close as possible to orientation so I wasn't bored.

DiniMae

Silver

Post by DiniMae » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:42 pm

LetsGoMets wrote:Pretty sure I'll be wearing jeans to ASWs. Not sure why anyone feels the need to look formal. They already let us in, and you're not impressing professors by the way you're dressed, especially before you're even a student.
Just a note for clarity: some of us working people are used to attending events in business formal or casual attire. This is no way tied to a "impressing profressors". And I've been to two ASWs/regional receptions and the majority of the group were business formal or casual. Nightlife is different, but daytime wear was not jeans and a hoodie.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:50 pm

DiniMae wrote:
Just a note for clarity: some of us working people are used to attending events in business formal or casual attire. This is no way tied to a "impressing profressors". And I've been to two ASWs/regional receptions and the majority of the group were business formal or casual. Nightlife is different, but daytime wear was not jeans and a hoodie.
Don't get me wrong, I've been working in an East Coast city for a few years, so I've been to my fair share of happy hours, professional receptions, what have you -- but like everyone else I'm usually coming from work, so I'm dressed up already. I was just saying I didn't see the point of putting on nice shoes or a dress shirt for a day or two of law schools trying to convince us to go there, and I was guessing one of the reasons some people might do that is looking professional for talking to future instructors. I'm not gonna wear gym clothes, but I'm pretty sure casual Friday attire is good to go.

Four Winds

Bronze

Post by Four Winds » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:17 pm

There's an interesting topic on the subject of dress codes here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 8&t=224884, but I think the tl;dr version is that it doesn't really matter and you just don't want to stand out. Don't wear a suit but don't wear sweatpants. Casual Friday attire sounds like what I'm aiming for as well.

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:24 pm

Four Winds wrote:There's an interesting topic on the subject of dress codes here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 8&t=224884, but I think the tl;dr version is that it doesn't really matter and you just don't want to stand out. Don't wear a suit but don't wear sweatpants. Casual Friday attire sounds like what I'm aiming for as well.
I mean I'm wearing five year old jeans and a sweater from JCPenney right now in the office, so I guess you could say I keep it pretty classy as a general matter

Great thread link by the way. This post sounds about right:
Emma. wrote: The only people who might care about what you are wearing are the other ASW attendees. The idea of "making a good impression" on the school, or that you need to dress even somewhat professionally is just way off course. Folks should wear whatever is comfortable. Jeans are entirely appropriate.

ChemEng1642

Silver

Post by ChemEng1642 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:45 pm

I just took a deeper look at the ASW schedule. This might a dumb question but where do you meet in the morning? I don't know anything about the campus. Also only the welcome reception has a location so I'm guessing we'll find out locations for all the other events when we're there? Also it says that we can visit classes - which is something I'm definitely interested in doing - but there doesn't seem to be much time on the schedule to do that - what do you think is worth missing to go to a class instead?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”