Columbia Class of 2018 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Why did you choose Columbia?

16%
Prestige/ranking
39%
Job prospects
24%
Professors and academics
6%
$$ The big fat Hamilton I got $$
16%

Total votes: 122

savethewhales

New

Re: Columbia Class of 2018

Post by savethewhales » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:07 pm

Does anyone know if CLS ever awards additional need-based aid on top of a Butler fellowship? I am trying to figure out if it is worth it to deal with my parents and get together all of the paperwork.

LoganCouture

Gold

Post by LoganCouture » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:18 pm

savethewhales wrote:Does anyone know if CLS ever awards additional need-based aid on top of a Butler fellowship? I am trying to figure out if it is worth it to deal with my parents and get together all of the paperwork.
No idea but I applied anyway.

#yolo

BruiserWoods

New

Post by BruiserWoods » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:57 pm

Even if financial aid info got sent out today, would it be sent out over e-mail? Or snail mail?

betty_bojangles

Bronze

Post by betty_bojangles » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:51 pm

They emailed me to say I was missing part of my Questionnaire (even though I'm preeeeeetty sure I sent it in). So it looks like they are getting a move on if nothing else.

wsag826

Bronze

Post by wsag826 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:56 pm

Pls, Columbia

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

andthenIwaslike

Bronze

Post by andthenIwaslike » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:07 pm

wsag826 wrote:Pls, Columbia

lnick93

Bronze

Post by lnick93 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:06 am

I'm really hoping they send something out today since there are other scholarship deadlines coming up/already past.

tecumseh115

New

Post by tecumseh115 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:57 am

Have y'all been primarily communicating/submitting via email? And have they sent you confirmations of receiving your docs?

I straight up mailed everything besides the need access to CLS -- tax returns, questionnaire , etc. -- back in February and have yet to hear. For that matter, I also mailed in the admitted students travel refund -- I attended late March. Anyone got that back yet? As a child of the internet, postage obviously makes me nervous. Seems like we are still waiting so won't get too worked up yet.

90convoy

Silver

Post by 90convoy » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:01 am

I sent them stuff, forgot to include something, then they emailed me asking me to send it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

goldenbear92

New

Post by goldenbear92 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:53 pm

At what point would it constitute a switch from early to mid April? (given the fact that financial aid info's supposed to come out by then at the latest according to CLS)

tk17

Bronze

Post by tk17 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:09 pm

goldenbear92 wrote:At what point would it constitute a switch from early to mid April? (given the fact that financial aid info's supposed to come out by then at the latest according to CLS)
Early - April 1-10
Mid - April 11-20
Late - April 21-30

goldenbear92

New

Post by goldenbear92 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:30 pm

tk17 wrote:
goldenbear92 wrote:At what point would it constitute a switch from early to mid April? (given the fact that financial aid info's supposed to come out by then at the latest according to CLS)
Early - April 1-10
Mid - April 11-20
Late - April 21-30
My thoughts exactly, so we should hear back by this Friday at the latest (but hopefully sooner) right?, right!?!? :/

DK21

Bronze

Post by DK21 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:17 pm

goldenbear92 wrote:
tk17 wrote:
Early - April 1-10
Mid - April 11-20
Late - April 21-30
My thoughts exactly, so we should hear back by this Friday at the latest (but hopefully sooner) right?, right!?!? :/
I called earlier today to see if they had all my stuff and they told me they'd be sending their first round out this week.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

goldenbear92

New

Post by goldenbear92 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:23 pm

DK21 wrote:
goldenbear92 wrote:
tk17 wrote:
Early - April 1-10
Mid - April 11-20
Late - April 21-30
I called earlier today to see if they had all my stuff and they told me they'd be sending their first round out this week.
Thanks for sharing! hopefully we're included in that 1st wave :D

LawSchoolGuy95

New

Post by LawSchoolGuy95 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:26 pm

Hi guys - so, I've read through the forum and I'm still really confused about some stuff regarding merit aid - been hearing tons of different things and hopeful some of you can provide some clarity!

I didn't receive any merit aid in my initial acceptance letter - does this mean I'm SOL, or could I still get some?

Since I'm not applying for any need-based aid, do I not need to submit the financial aid questionnaire until May 15th? Or does this need to get in for the possibility of merit aid still? Haven't sent it in yet, starting to freak about that, and ready to Fed Ex it overnight lol.

Basically - 1) could I still get merit aid & 2) WTF do I need to submit in order to be considered for it?

Thank you!!! :)

tk17

Bronze

Post by tk17 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:30 pm

LawSchoolGuy95 wrote:Hi guys - so, I've read through the forum and I'm still really confused about some stuff regarding merit aid - been hearing tons of different things and hopeful some of you can provide some clarity!

I didn't receive any merit aid in my initial acceptance letter - does this mean I'm SOL, or could I still get some?

Since I'm not applying for any need-based aid, do I not need to submit the financial aid questionnaire until May 15th? Or does this need to get in for the possibility of merit aid still? Haven't sent it in yet, starting to freak about that, and ready to Fed Ex it overnight lol.

Basically - 1) could I still get merit aid & 2) WTF do I need to submit in order to be considered for it?

Columbia calls all aid that doesn't come in the form of a Butler or a Hamilton "need-based aid." But it is actually a combination of need- and merit-based aid. You have to submit everything required for need-based aid (which is an annoyingly large amount of information) to be considered for this we-call-it-need-based-but-it's-actually-need-and-merit money.

LawSchoolGuy95

New

Post by LawSchoolGuy95 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:35 pm

tk17 wrote:
LawSchoolGuy95 wrote:Hi guys - so, I've read through the forum and I'm still really confused about some stuff regarding merit aid - been hearing tons of different things and hopeful some of you can provide some clarity!

Columbia calls all aid that doesn't come in the form of a Butler or a Hamilton "need-based aid." But it is actually a combination of need- and merit-based aid. You have to submit everything required for need-based aid (which is an annoyingly large amount of information) to be considered for this we-call-it-need-based-but-it's-actually-need-and-merit money.
Jesus, what a joke/entirely unclear, despite that nifty handbook they send out. Thank you! So, odds of me sending this shit from Cali today and getting any sort of word back in time to make an informed decision before other schools' deadlines pass = pretty much zilch. Lovely.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tk17

Bronze

Post by tk17 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:38 pm

LawSchoolGuy95 wrote:Jesus, what a joke/entirely unclear, despite that nifty handbook they send out. Thank you! So, odds of me sending this shit from Cali today and getting any sort of word back in time to make an informed decision before other schools' deadlines pass = pretty much zilch. Lovely.
Yep.

As an aside, everything I heard from friends/colleagues about the university as a whole (including the law school) is that the administrative side of things is terribly run and horribly archaic (e.g. sending out financial aid via snail mail). So if you're going to Columbia, don't expect anything on the administrative side to go smoothly.

betty_bojangles

Bronze

Post by betty_bojangles » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:57 pm

LawSchoolGuy95 wrote:
tk17 wrote:

Jesus, what a joke/entirely unclear, despite that nifty handbook they send out. Thank you! So, odds of me sending this shit from Cali today and getting any sort of word back in time to make an informed decision before other schools' deadlines pass = pretty much zilch. Lovely.

I think you can email them your documents. I emailed most things and they seemed fine with it.

wsag826

Bronze

Post by wsag826 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:25 am

tk17 wrote:
LawSchoolGuy95 wrote:Jesus, what a joke/entirely unclear, despite that nifty handbook they send out. Thank you! So, odds of me sending this shit from Cali today and getting any sort of word back in time to make an informed decision before other schools' deadlines pass = pretty much zilch. Lovely.
Yep.

As an aside, everything I heard from friends/colleagues about the university as a whole (including the law school) is that the administrative side of things is terribly run and horribly archaic (e.g. sending out financial aid via snail mail). So if you're going to Columbia, don't expect anything on the administrative side to go smoothly.
To be honest, in seeing this anecdotally across TLS for a while, I've always wondered what this means. Have friends been able to give you examples outside of financial aid? Friends have essentially told me that the financial aid office is run like almost any other financial aid office...but other aspects of the administration are competent.

tk17

Bronze

Post by tk17 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:28 am

wsag826 wrote:
tk17 wrote:
Yep.

To be honest, in seeing this anecdotally across TLS for a while, I've always wondered what this means. Have friends been able to give you examples outside of financial aid? Friends have essentially told me that the financial aid office is run like almost any other financial aid office...but other aspects of the administration are competent.
I've had friends who work for different parts of the university, and basic administration functions like adding a new employee to the books and getting tax forms out seem to be more difficult than they should be.

But really, I feel like snail-mailing admissions decisions and financial aid awards is evidence enough.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

90convoy

Silver

Post by 90convoy » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:55 am

Praying for $$$

betty_bojangles

Bronze

Post by betty_bojangles » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:15 am

90convoy wrote:Praying for $$$
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHoDw9ICBHY

greekguy123

New

Post by greekguy123 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:30 pm

Received an email today with their need/merit financial aid offer - looking forward to meeting all of you next year!

tk17

Bronze

Post by tk17 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:51 pm

greekguy123 wrote:Received an email today with their need/merit financial aid offer - looking forward to meeting all of you next year!
Man. The first reported financial aid notice and crickets from the rest of the folks ITT. A little surprising.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”